Hey /b I'm buying a car this weekend and using my current ride as a down-payment along with some money...

Hey /b I'm buying a car this weekend and using my current ride as a down-payment along with some money... is it better to take in cash or a money order? Will a dealer ship even take cash? Also I need car buying tips

Self bumping for assistance

Make sure you check the carburetor cooler. If there isnt one ask the dealer to give you one or else risk a fine.

Bait.

Thanks dude I'll definitely be asking

I know lol

make sure you change ownership before you hand the car over, unless you want tickets and to be implicated in a ram-raid.

all bullshit aside, if you pay cash, get a receipt. once you give someone cash, you have no proof you paid them. this goes for anywhere you pay cash. a credit card would be better if you have one with a high limit, i'm guessing you don't

If you aren't buying an s14 or 240 and LS swapping it with twin turbskiez, what are you wasting your money on?

don't fall for the blinker fluid upgrade either, it's a scam

Bait?

nope, that's title shit. you gotta do that

If it's a second-hand car, don't be afraid to ask a mate that's mechanically savvy to come along and have a look over. I went to my local garage where I get all my work done and asked one of the guys if they'd come with me for a crate of beer.

He came over, had a good look under the hood and spotted a bodged job on a leak in the coolant pipe that I would never have known to look for.

Saved me £7,000 on that one. The dealership promptly shat pants, and a second car I'd been looking at got £1,500 taken off the price - he checked that one for me too and was happy with it.

Don't be afraid to go team handed. Dealerships hate that. Even if it's just a mate who stays quiet but spends a while under the bonnet looking like he knows what he's talking about.

I'll definitely be getting a receipt. I'm 20 and never bought a vehicle without my dad doing all the talking.

YES, THIS!!!

No. that's not bait. Same as in the UK. You've got your V5C that you have to send off to show change of ownership.

If it's a reputable garage, they'll do it for you, like Arnold Clark.

If it's a second hander, get it done immediately or you'll be held liable for any and all offences involving that vehicle (unless it's in the UK in which case you'd get a chance to use a Section 172 to defend yourself)

^^this, definitely. i was 20 once and i wish i'd have had this guy with me when i bought my first car. it would have saved me a lot of shit.

I've done this before. I actually went with four of my friends as they were interested in having a look at a few cars themselves. They decided to go on the wind up and actually went all over the vehicle 'inspecting it'. One slid under, one was in the back seat, one was in the engine and the other one was checking the boot and the spares / equipment.

Hilarious, you could see the sweat coming off the dealers forehead.

Well wouldn't the dealership do that for me? But even if the don't all I have to do is mail it? To who? Who I have my loan through the or what

know every major detail about the car before you start a relationship with it. as with any car, expect hiccups along the way. you want to have a spare amount of $ to associate with this unit object before and during all hiccups. reassurance is key to igniting the care for your new car. you will eventually learn more about the vehicle as you experience ups and downs, as you already know.

consider what you want to keep with the car. such as general car maintenance items in the trunk. maybe water in the trunk. i'd suggest keeping things as fresh as possible; with that- minimizing the amount of material objects you give to your car.

add everything up and jot down or just mentally log your cashflow pertaining to this relationship. don't lose track of this because you essentially own it. you are the one with the money.

>Hilarious, you could see the sweat coming off the dealers forehead.

i would have loved to have been there to see that. i'm grinning like a fucking pidgeon just thinking about it. fuckin used car dealers, what a bunch of assholes.

Test drive that fucker.

I do mean, test drive it. Not five minutes, not fifteen minutes. You want to drive it for half an hour.

You need to listen for any humming (could be the ball bearings going in the hubs), knocking (could be radiator issues), check the tracking (is the wheel straight, and if it is straight, does the car go straight), fumes and smells inside the car, and how it brakes - do you have to shove the pedal right to the floor, or does it stop with only a bit of pressure on it.

CHECK ALL OF THIS.

Don't know about the US. In the UK, you have a V5C which is a document, one page, that shows ownership of the vehicle.

There's a bit you tear off and send away to the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency in Wales, who note and update the ownership details.

I don't imagine the process is much different for the US?

Oh, and FIND A FUCKING STEEP HILL AND PUT THE HANDBRAKE ON.

If the car doesn't stay still, you've got an issue. :)

>check the tracking (is the wheel straight, and if it is straight, does the car go straight)

yes, get behind it about 30 feet and look at the wheels, do they line up? if they are off line, it's a wrecked frame. big problem

Yea idk either but thanks man I'll look into it

not necessarily, it just means the brake needs adjustment

we're probably scaring this guy into not buying a car

captcha: all images with cars.

how ironic

Mmm... wrecked frame or lots of potholes and the tracking's gone, which is a £30 fix in a garage in the UK. Don't know about over there.

naw, i'm talking a car that we call "walking at me sideways like a dog"

if you see one you will know it, the back wheels are about a foot out of line with the front wheels, sure sign of frame damage in a crash. they try to pass them off here if people don't notice.

Nah imma buy one anyways

D... do you not have a bank account?

Ah yeah, I know the kind you mean now. I don't know how traffic and vehicle regulations and enforcement is in the US, but in the UK we don't really have any issues with things like that.

Between the Police, VOSA and various other agencies, even the dodgy second hand dealers are wary about what they sell - they get shut down so quickly otherwise.

I once went into a scrap yard to look at shifting my old Focus Zetec. Guy offered me £500 for it (Had had £2250 paid out as a financial write off after someone hit it). I told him I couldn't find my V5C and I was like I'd turned into a vampire. He physically backed away from me and told me to get the car out his yard.

Obviously been stung a few times in the past with stolen / dodgy vehicles.

No I do I just know sometimes having cash on hand can have more pull but idk if that matters with a dealership

just remember, always let the stupid guy take the hit on the initial money. just for an example, the last truck i bought was a 50 grand extended cab blah blah blah. i got it for 19 with 90k miles, it runs like a fucking dream. always let some other asshole take the hit

Yep. Never buy first hand. Ever.

Nah it's a used Nissan xterra I'm looking at

my first 4x4 was a nissan. only thing you gotta look out for is they have an open differential, or they did when i had mine. you got to be careful or you'll get your ass stuck even with a 4x4

Yea it's like 19000 and I have 2400 down and my car should get me around 6 or so

Also a sale of car recipt with time stamp and mileage of the car your selling
Including your name and the faggot who is buying the car also write down the adress of the guy from his license

damn, sounds like my first Camaro. 305 baby!

Fair enough, but a personal check should be enough. Really what these guys are all saying-
1- check engine for obviously leaking fluids (after the test drive), especially around header and valve cover
2- check suspension for torn boots, bad balls and bushings
3- check AC
4- compare KBB value so you don't pay twice the cars value

No shit I just bought a used chevy Cruze Friday, thought I'd checked everything, then discovered ONE of my 4 tires was bald. Took it back and fuckin Nick just said, "sorry, it was sold as is". POS cost me about $500 for a new set

Fuck Arnold Clark they fucking suck man
Rent a car for the day inspect it first
Return with a scratch on offside door that was there before I rented it
>sir you will have to pay for repair
Fuck you
£200 repair bill + £120 court cost

So kbb.com is saying my car is worth about 3500 that half what I was expecting dammit

>No shit I just bought a used chevy Cruze Friday, thought I'd checked everything, then discovered ONE of my 4 tires was bald. Took it back and fuckin Nick just said, "sorry, it was sold as is". POS cost me about $500 for a new set

i bought a durango out of a used car lot and caught the tires bald, he had new tires put on. and the radiator sprung while i was looking at it, stung me like a bee. new radiator. other than that, it's been a dream, runs like all fuck, it's a 360 wedge, badass dodge

Also check the paint on the bolts. You can tell which ones have had a wrench on them. Scared the shit out of one dealer when, as he was telling me the car had a clean history, I asked him why the front body panel had been removed. "Oh! Uhhhh ... I mean, it was in a minor accident, but really... I mean, it's as god as new..." the look on his face was worth the whole drive back

oh, and damn i forgot this. take a magnet. anything the magnet don't stick to is bondo.

That sucks, bruh

well i hope we have helped you my son

I just messaged my dad like a faggot