Sup Forums, how do I stop biting my nails?

Sup Forums, how do I stop biting my nails?

Paint them with clear polish or something so it tastes fucking nasty whenever you do it.
You'll stop pretty quick.

Who cares? Bite your nails. What's the big deal?

The trick for me was buying good nail clippers and cuticle trimmers and files. I got a clean unchewed edge on them, and then I found myself not chewing anymore.

Real help for me was putting the clippers on my key ring.

It's hell on your teeth.

Last few years I've had a few crowns chip off on the edges where I always chew my nails. While... I was chewing my nails.

OP, do what you can to drop the habit. My thumb nails got too thick to comfortably chew, so I clip them.... sooo figure out how to thicken your nails?

Use mice.

Pick up smoking, taht aught to do it.

doesnt work

didn't work

Remove nails using pliers

Take pliers and remove your teeth.

start biting your toenails instead

By killing yourself

Put a little dog shit under them

>flavouring

Nice try, user.

Dip your fingers in shit every morning

I dip my fingers in dirt most days.

If anything, the shit and rot adds flavour.

Not dirt, actual shit. Make is physiological as well as taste Do you really want to eat your own shit?

My fingers hit shit from time to time too.
I stand by my statement.

OK - stick each of your fingers in your ass. That way, if you try to bite them you get a mouthful of ass

>If anything, the shit and rot adds flavour.
Try dog vomit flavoring, it's creamy and delicious.

that makes me chew them more. I'd have to stick them up a strangers ass or something

That... might actually do it.

OP, vomit fingers! problem solved.

Wasn't amonia the old fashioned thing they put on fingernails to stop kids biting them? Fucking wish my parents did it, I bite mine all the time. Part of it is probably anxiety, but the other part is once I bite them a little bit, I have this compulsion that I have to bite them all, until they're as filed down as they can or until I accidentally bite a bit too much off and they bleed.

Biting also cuts them better than clippers.

My advice: Bite only ONE nail. The damage dealt is significantly reduced this way. I'd say use your ring finger for this.

You have 2 options left then. Wear gloves all the time, or remove your fingers.

Is that an actual thing? Because that sounds like utter bullshit to me. When I bite mine they're always ragged and uneven. Plus biting them lets bacteria and shit from your fingers get into your mouth/body. So yeah, I'm not buying that. Citation needed friend.

I do wear gloves when the risk is high. But it's a numbers game. It's going to happen eventually.

One of the reasons I still bite. The edges are better shaped than I can do with clippers. Not as sharp on the edge either. No filing.
I'm really really good at chewing my nails.

you can download a rat to chew your fingernails, they're much better equipped for the job.

that can be arranged...

To add one more thing, letting that bacteria into your body is good for you immune system. Or so I'm told. Which makes sense, the stomach is a harsh environment. Weaken the bacteria, immune system has an easy time dealing with it then, and in the future.

I haven't been sickly in any way for a few years now too. Usually I get sickly, as in bad cold, once a year. For about a week. That's it.

Huh really? I always get them shaped pretty good when I use the clippers. I've been biting them as long as I can remember and I'm nearly 28.

Maybe I'm OCD. I just bit off an edge of my nail before typing this too. So take it as you will.

Oh and I'm 30.
Nice dubs. As the kids these day say.

That's actually a pretty fair point, I didn't think of it that way. Come to think of it, I don't usually get that sick. I've got a bit of a cold now, but I'm taking meds and doing the usual shit to get rid of it, but I've never been ill with anything but a cold in years. Fair point user.

>mfw i did that when i was young because i didn't know where the nail clippers were

Maybe. I don't tend to do them that well when I bite them. I just go mental on them, then finish with the clippers.

Same to you granddad

maybe wear a mouth guard then chem them. It won't work and eventually you'll learn to stop trying

I personally don't care enough to go that far.
The nagging voice in my head will win the day eventually.
Few more chipped teeth and I'll be good.

a little cat piss on each nail will keep your hands away from your nose and mouth

Just cut them before you can chew them, once you have to dig your teeth into your skin to get a decent grip, the pain will make the desire go away eventually
eating your nails builds kidney stones

For me it's not chewing because compulsion.
It's chewing because they are too long. If they never grew, I'd never chew.

give yourself an electric shock everytime you've bitten a nail

simple as that

Obvious solution is to keep a diamond file with you, and keep the nails filed nice and trim.
Or, you know...pic related. I'm sure we'll have teleporters soon.

i just have one of these, the scissors are reaaly good, works for cutting both nails and skin,
what can sometimes help is having a tiny vat of any type of skin softening cream on you

also, if you really want to quit, dedicate one evening (4-5 hours, maybe a long train ride, or just at home) to quitting.
do nothing else but that, maybe listen to music, but keep reminding you every minute, and actually stop, when you catch yourself biting your nails.
thats how i stopped.
i still sometimes bite the skin on the side of my nails, but my nails look completely normal now

forgot to add the picture

That's too much conscious effort for me.
It's a mindless habit when I feel or see that my nails aren't "perfect". Like them rubbing against the sides of my fingers. Annoying as shit. So, chomp it goes.

well having that on my keychain isnt any effort for me, plus its useful to have a sharp knife with you, even if its tiny.

Keychain clippers is a pretty good idea. I'll give you that.
Eventually I'll pick something of that nature up. But I get the feeling it wouldn't work too well while driving.

Blair's Ultra Death sauce on your nails. 1,100,000 Scoville units. You'll feel like you've been punched in the mouth with a pair of brass knuckles every time you try to nibble them.

I'm same as OP. Lifelong habit. It's not even biting nails, it's cutting them. I'll use any sharp edge. Edge of a folder, notebook, cap of a pen, edge of my phone, keys, straw, cup lid, anything. I always have a knife and tweezers at my desk and in my car. I cut them until I bleed. Most of my fingernails stay at 1/2 of their length, exposing the bed underneath. Some nails are almost completely gone. The skin around the nails gets torn from the constant picking, and so it too becomes a target for further picking with knife. So my nails are always bloody, and the skin around them is usually a big scab. Can't stop.

But that unconscious habit was learned once, you can unlearn it and learn a new one if you want. Just sayin.
You're not stuck in a maze of habits you just happen to have, and you continually reinforce them everytime you let them happen. I used to bite off those bits of hard skin and loose nail bits and stuff. Now I use a file and get the job done properly, now it's long between each time I have to fix something. Try keeping a file with you for a week, one that fits in your pocket. Every time you feel a sharp thing, file it away. When you bite you only leave a jagged mess.

cut off your fingers
sew your mouth shut
remove teeth
break jaw

> only faggots and beta's bite nails

those arent clippers, its a pocket knife
the tweezers are quite ok too, good for spliters etc

Holy shit dude
You need to get a concussion and be in a coma for two months so you can feel what nails are supposed to feel like again

Would you call instinct habit though? Because the natural inclination of a child would be to bite. Would it not?

And they don't look manicured, but 30 years of practice, I do a fine job. I even have a chipped tooth I use for filing. Works pretty good.
Best time to chew is right after a shower too. They're softer.

I could still use one of these. Thorns are a bitch sometimes.

>Holy shit dude
>You need to get a concussion and be in a coma for two months so you can feel what nails are supposed to feel like again

Yeah basically that's what I need, or a straight jacket in a padded room. It would be nice to take a shower or wash my hands without it feeling like I'm pouring salt on an open wound.

Do like the cats and make a scratch post in your car dude! Get some silicone and a big nail file, and slap that thing onto the dash!