Star Trek Beyond

Just got back from a preview of this.

It wasn't Star Trek at all, but it was a plenty entertaining movie. Better than Ghostbusters or Independence Day: Resurgence.
Decent ensemble returning, music was great, VFX were great, direction felt like a Fast and Furious movie but that was obvious and expected, and honestly I'd rather a sequel with a different tone than the same shit all over again.
Some of the dialogue was a bit shit, especially Scotty's. It felt like Simon Pegg made the same mistake Jon Favreau did in Iron Man 2 - stuck himself all over the place and gave himself way more to do and say than he really should've. The plot was fine, if very convenient in a lot of places.
The gay-Sulu thing is a bit forced (they stop over at a starbase and only Sulu, Kirk and Spock get little scenes before they resume their journey. Kirk and Spock are obvious, Sulu's just felt out-of-place. None of the other four are seen with families or have sentimental moments. I'm one of the crowd that's fine with Sulu being gay and think it's a nice little nod to Takei (regardless of how Takei took it) but the execution was poor.
Sofia Boutella and Idris Elba are fine, nothing amazing but they don't let the team down.

I'd probably go a 7/10. For reference's sake, I gave 2009's Star Trek an 8/10 and Into Darkness a 5/10.
Any of you seen it yet? What did you think? Also happy to answer any questions.

Is the new alien meme worthy?

Is there good shoot outs?

Which one? There were several we'd never seen before.

Do they rebuild the Enterprise at the end of the movie?

Not really. When the Enterprise is first invaded (not spoilers, it's in the trailers) there's a relatively decent corridor shoot-out but it's nothing fantastic.
The best two action sequences are ship-fights.

Yes. In a time-lapse. I wasn't a huge fan. It was the NCC-1701-A, though, which I liked.

are you the same guy who did the ghostbusters critic screening thread last week?

Yes. I usually do one per week.

yea I thought so your op post has the same format to it.
anyway is Idris Elba better than Eric Bana or Cuminbatch?

Performance-wise, I'd say Elba is the weakest, but he has a pretty unique character, honestly. The reveal is a little shittily-done but I liked him.

>I gave 2009's Star Trek an 8/10 and Into Darkness a 5/10

I rate them the same way, so I trust your judgment.

>I'd probably go a 7/10. For reference's sake, I gave 2009's Star Trek an 8/10 and Into Darkness a 5/10.
Out of curiosity, where do the other movies fit into your rating?

>It wasn't Star Trek at all
So i'm assuming you're a Star Trek fan then?

Er. Probably something like:
>9/10
1. The Voyage Home
>8/10
2. The Wrath of Khan
3. The Undiscovered Country
4. Star Trek (2009)
>7/10
5. First Contact
6. Star Trek Beyond
>6/10
7. The Motion Picture
>5/10
8. Nemesis
9. The Search for Spock
10. Into Darkness
>4/10
11. Generations
>3/10
12. The Final Frontier
13. Insurrection

Yes, very much so.

>7. The Motion Picture
>5/10

I dont trust any movie that goes back for reshoots. I will wait for the video. Probably pirate.

You're slightly misreading it, I actually gave it a 6/10. It's an above-average film, but it's certainly not great.

are you counting on it?

Virtually all Summer blockbusters have reshoots, as far as I'm aware.

yes and most summer """""blockbusters""""" are utter shit

is it true hes scott baculas character from that shitty enterprise tv series

No.
He is the captain of another NX-class ship (The "Franklin", which I've never heard of and don't believe has existed in canon before)

Khan Seach and Home are great I dont care how terrible they were at times.

Shatner and Nemoy were the original driving force behind this series.

Nimoy was barely in Search, though.

Is the leaked plot correct? Is how they defeat the bad guys really that stupid?

As in, do they really sabotage the enemy with Sabotage, by the Beastie Boys?

I CANT STAND IT!!

yeah, please tell me that is just some music they used in the trailer and not the fucking real thing

I CAN'T STAND IT

K
N
O
W

Y
O
U

P
L
A
N
N
E
D

I
T

Is there a scene of CGI Chekov smiling while warping away?

Yes. The swarm thing you see destroying the Enterprise is basically a fluid sort of hive-mind maintained by a signal, and Kirk yells at Scotty to interrupt it with something "loud and distracting". Earlier, on a crashed ship from the 2160s, the alien chick had found that music and Scotty had called it "loud and distracting". He says "I think I have just the thing, Captain!" and they play it, and the swarm ships crash into each other and explode.
This is furthered when Bones says "is that... is that classical music!?" and Spock replies with "it would seem so, Doctor". It's really, really dumb, but it's incredibly hard not to sort of roll your eyes and chuckle a little. It's what I meant in the OP when I said it's not Star Trek at all, but it's good, entertaining fun.

Ha, no. At the end we got "In loving memory of Leonard Nimoy." and under that "For Anton". That was it.

holy shit that so fucking lame

does anyone die apart from the bad guys and nameless enterprise crew members?

Oh gosh.

Thank you for the warning.

How much LENS FLARE is there?

Does Kirk bone the white alien chick?

Anyone important, you mean? No, of course not.
The only one they could kill off would be Chekhov and that'd be pretty poor taste.
They do introduce a new Ensign who doesn't last long - think Hawk in First Contact.

How are the unconventional pairings Simon Pegg praised, when the Enterprise gets shot down? Kirk/Chekov, Spock/Bones, Uhura/Sulu and Scotty/Jaylah.

one of the most memorable and heroic sceans is when checkov gives his life to check the mail

Not much at all.

Nobody gets laid at all.
Chekhov is shown getting thrown out of an alien chick's quarters briefly at the beginning.

Kirk/Chekhov is fun. Big/little brother thing.
Spock/Bones is obviously the best.
Scotty/Jaylah is Simon Pegg jerking himself off a little as a writer.
Uhura/Sulu isn't really a thing, it's more Uhura/bad guy while Sulu cries in a cage with the rest of the unimportant crew.

Is there in IN MEMORY OF at the credits for the manlet who killed himself by accident?

See

Kek

>"is that... is that classical music!?"
Just rip off Futurama some more.

>futurama ripping off Star Trek
Just think about that for a moment.

You didn't plan out your post very well, did you? You should set it straight, this watergate.

Yeah. Whups. You see what I mean, though.

No, not really. I can't stand rocking when I'm in here because your crystal ball ain't so crystal clear.

Honestly that sounds like the kind of thing I would love.

normie spotted

Saying that Star Trek Beyond is better than Ghostbusters or Independence Day: Resurgance is like saying the diarrear I had to day was slightly better than the diarrear I've been having the last two days.

Even from the trailers and all the reviews you can read it looks like generic action sci-fi movie with a cash-in on the Star Trek name.

Why does Star Trek need Star Wars levels of action? First Contact had action, sure, but it was more about Picard's mental struggle with having been Borg in context with the "modern human sensibilities".

I for one would be happy for a more philosophical Star Trek movie over action-oriented ones. Imagine something along the lines of Measure of a Man with a good action sequence in between, something like the Enterprise facing off against a small force of starships. The pacing of the action scenes in the new movies is a little bit too fast for my tastes; it's like nothing has weight in them. Lasers shooting all over the place, torpedoes being fired like firecrackers - in the earlier Star Trek films it felt more like well-placed, intelligently used weapons > barraging your target

What does it look like? Same as the last one? Flat warp engines like the old A? Something different?

Well like I said I also enjoyed it.

As I said, it's not very Star Trek at all, and if you go in expecting it you'll be disappointed. No idea why you'd expect classic Star Trek from the trailers, though.

It looks as much like the A as the first one looks like the TOS one.

Europoor here, just got back from watching the movie. It's fairly entertaining, has much better character interaction and dynamic than the previous two. Solid 8/10.
Spock/Bones is GOAT
Kirk/Chekov is okey, chekov is mostly support for Kirk interacting with everyone in general.
Scotty/Jaylah isn't much of a teamup, but Jaylah is pretty cool
There's no Sulu/Uhura, both are actives of the baddie but the baddie mostly speaks with Uhura only.

I'd argue First Contact had more action than TESB did.

>expecting sophistication
>from Star Trek movies
Not in decades.

>wanting another Measure of a Man
That was a TV episode, not a movie. Just wait for the next TV series, bae.

The Measure of a Man wasn't even that good an episode. Sure Picard's dialogue was excellent, and the concept was great, but are we forgetting the horribly contrived riker-must-argue-against-picard nonsense?

>putting Nemesis above any of the other ten
>putting any of the reboots above anything other than Final Frontier
I'm not sure I trust your judgment, but I appreciate your report.

I didn't hate Nemesis, you know. I have it 5/10 because it had great music and a great villain, and I appreciated the paralells to WoK that many others saw as a ripoff. I thought it was them saying they knew it was their last film and going out with a nice little love letter back to the rest of the franchise.
We also saw Data's 17-year character arc come to a really nice close. That son of a bitch grew more than anyone else in the franchise.
The only one on my list I can see people having a reasonable issue with is Search for Spock - I've just always loathed it. It's boring, it's hackneyed and it alternates between ridiculing itself and taking itself far too seriously - but I get that most Trekkers enjoy it.

I completely agree with you about Search for Spock, but I really hated Nemesis. I thought it was worse than Insurrection or Generations.

My issues with Insurrection and Generations were more technical. Insurrection had scriptual errors all over the place (over x baku onboard... and one Klingon!) and Generations was one big plot hole with mismatching uniforms.
Nemesis wasn't lazy, at the very least.

how much of bones do we get so see?

He has a scene with Kirk where they drink whiskey they stole from Chekhov, then after the ship is taken he pairs up with Spock for the majority of the film, which is fun. He has more screentime than Chekhov or Uhura, about on par with Sulu, less than Kirk, Spock or Scotty.

He's a MACO. It's implied he was on board the NX-01 during Season 3 with the Xindi, and later fought in the Romulan Wars. When the Federation was formally established, MACO and other pure military groups were demolished and he was folded into Starfleet as a captain (given command of the Franklin, an old Warp 4 ship also folded into Starfleet). He explains he lived for conflict and never felt at ease with Federation values.

Same basic shape as the reboot 1701. Some red highlights like the original ship had. Ship name on top and bottom of saucer. Lights are a bit bluer like the original 1701-A too.

I'm a big fan of all the previous incarnations of Trek but I never quite gelled to this newest franchise. Tonight after seeing Star Trek Beyond I did.

This is what we all wanted; a big budget original series episode set in JJ's shiny new universe with all the sheen and production value of the last 2 movies. It has spectacular action sequences. It has stunning effects. But now it also feels so fundamentally Trek in the way the other 2 JJ prequels never managed. This really is Star Trek to its very core and character driven science fiction from beginning to end.

When I watched Star Trek 2009 and Star Trek Into Darkness I felt like a passive observer watching a crew react to crazy shit happening on screen with clunky dialogue thrown in to explain what the fuck was going on. Unlike it’s predecessors Star Trek Beyond is journey with the crew as they discover and explore new possibilities in unexpected situations. It keeps you guessing about how they’re going to resolve what's happening on screen but never at the expense of the story or the action and without getting bogged down in redundant dialog.

We learn about this universes character incarnations by watching how they handle themselves in ways that are both familiar and new. Each of them plays to their strengths unashamedly both as an officer and as a character without needing to rely on the periphery around them. The performances really shine this time around and have a noticeable ease to them that feels robust and genuine. Most importantly gives us characters that are the mesh that binds everything else together.

Call me a faggot but I was happily surprised watching Star Trek Beyond. This movie finally does the Trek I've always loved and it does it in a unique and fresh way.

>We learn about this universes character incarnations by watching how they handle themselves in ways that are both familiar and new.
This makes me slightly hopeful, because in the two JewJew movies so far anyone besides Kirk, Spock and Uhura are only there because they're expected to. They barely have any scenes.

Was the cinematography as terrible and nauseating as the Fast and Furious movies? You know, a dozen little 3 second cuts at a time instead of actual focus?