I plan on becoming an electrician and I wanna know how I should go about it...

I plan on becoming an electrician and I wanna know how I should go about it, vocational school or straight into an apprenticeship? Is there any reason not to become one? I'd love to talk with someone who is an electrician.
>I'll post these tits if I get some good advice.

What state you live in? Becoming a legit electrician varies based on where you live

Georgia

Im a carpenter, not an electrician. I went to vocational school for carpentry and it was pretty much a waste of time for me since I had pretty good experience before. I think electrician and HVAC are trades that would benefit more from vocational schools though since its a little more technical to jump right into working with field experience.

I have 2 friends that are electricians, one that does factory maintenance and and another who went right into the union for residential electrical. They both get paid around the same at their respective levels of experience and got good jobs pretty quickly too.

If you have background knowledge I'd probably go straight to an apprenticeship and learn on the job. If you have no skills or knowledge with this trade and just heard it pays well then I'd just skip it altogether and think of a different career because you probably wont end up liking your job enough to put up with possibly fucking your body up.

Thanks bud, but I'm 18 and about to fresh outta hs. I don't wanna go to college at all but I'm a pretty hard working guy and I do my best in everything I do, so I figured become something that pays hard workers.

Electrician here! I'm up in Canada but this might help. If you start an apprenticeship employers look for common sense and hard workers of course. I went straight into apprenticeship because I wanted to get some experience before i went to school and get a pay raise so i'd recommend that. No reason not to become one just be prepared for some hard work at times,

It can be a waste of time if the hours you do in school or exam isnt credited toward the apprenticeship. Happened to me. Went to school and none of it counted so ended up challenging rhe exam last week after workin a year and passing barely cause i couldnt remember the shit that has nothing to do with a job site

So become an apprentice, finish that up, then go to vocational school to earn a pay raise?

There is alot of sparkys looking for work in sydney right now, Try looking into a Cert3 comms instead. Fibers a good op if you avoid NBN.

moar tits

Moar advice first, I'll dump once I get all my questions answered

Not sure how it works down there but there is post secondary here which is if you have no experience but wanna know the trade you do that for like 4 months then start working. Then there's working for like 1500 hours then you can apply for collage to finish your first year apprenticeship which takes 2 months, after that you're a second year electrician making 5$ more each year till you're a 3rd year then 4th then journeyman then if you want you can get your masters. Any questions? aha it's probably alot different down there

I just don't understand the point of vocational school, if I can go straight into the field why go to school? I'm not dumb so I'll catch on pretty quick.

Exactly

Is it really that simple? This all just sounds to good to be true.
>Become apprentice electrician
>Get good over the years
>Stack bread

>something that pays hard workers
Why not enterpreneurment? If you are not married and without dependants you have nothing to lose.

Also, you can ask the bank to fund your bussiness plan if it's good enough, unless you are a total fuckup you will begin with nothing and end with nothing if you fuckup.

Pretty much yup.
>Get hours for school
>Go to school for 2 months
>Pay raise when back to work
>Work towards hours for next school season
>so on so on

Na man. It's a licensed profession. When you need a license, the pay scale goes up a lot. Don't be a carpenter.
Pro tip: I'm a carpenter

I don't have a good business plan though. I just want to get out of school and work, I wanna be very comfortable by 25.

Electrician/Instrument tech/communications dude here

AMA.

Ya stay at home and don't pay rent for as long as possible. Stay away from gf's they drain the bank quick. Don't go out or do fun shit or drugs. Then you'll be comfortable before 30

>Electrician/Instrument tech/communications
What the fuck did you graduated?

Actually, any of the skilled trades would be a good career move. According to the Department of Labor, the average age of skilled tradesmen in 2012 was 57

Fifty-fukken-seven.

All those guys are gonna be retiring soon and there will be a skills gap like the US hasn't seen since World War Two, when they had to train up workers to replace all the ones gone overseas to war.

I know a guy who is a Master Level Technician working on cars. His total time in education over the last 25 years is about 8 years of schooling, mostly to learn new automotive technology. He makes just shy of $100G a year now working for a local chain tire shop. Dude has a boat bigger than my house.

Welders can make into 7 figures within 5 years

Plumbers, pipe-fitters, steamfitters (Yes, that's still a thing), Electricians, Electric and Digital Linemen, are ALL desperate for people. Some places will even train you AND pay you to BE trained. There's a local Machine Works here where I live that will pay you $12 an hour to learn to be a CNC machinist, then pay up to $20 an hour once your done training.

>I don't have a good business plan though
>I wanna be very comfortable
Bussiness is where it's at.

If you are first worlder you can get comfy with a bussiness in 5 years, 10 in second world and 20 or more if you are in a shithole like me.

But hey, at least I'm living the life and have cash to spend as I please.

>Disregard promiscous ladies, acquire currency

What steps should a fresh outta highschool kid with no experience take to become an electrician? I'm under the impression I can just find an apprenticeship program and be just as well off as any electrician, true?

1 year accelerated electrician program followed by an accelerated Instrument tech program, now my dumbass job has a combined instrument and communications department.

I spend most of my time fixing comms that the dumbass miners destroy.

>Linemen
>desperate for people
Not everywhere. But the rest is pretty spot on.

No. The guy who owns the company will. It's his license you're working under. Not yours

Okay well if you write me a business plan I'll submit and go forth but it until then leave the thread dude, thanks for trying to help but I have no interest in business. I hear you though.

>Fixing and cleaning other people shit

You know, sometimes I wonder if they are doing it on purpose because their lame assess are due to be fired.

Hell dude I was a 2nd year before I finished HS. If there's a career office in you're school talk to them cause they can find you a company. Thanks to them I was the youngest 2nd year in my province

Okay so answer the first question please. What should I do? What do you wish you did?

For what exactly?

And it's not harder than any trade school. I mean, my cousin put up a sex shop, literally a shop of fucking and sex.

On the downside one would though "Hot" people would do sexy things on the security footage but it always tend to be fugly fat fucks.

As long as youre decently smart.

you can be a bad/stupid mechanic and survive.

Stupid electricians get turned into charcoal.

The apprenticeship progams are great for construction jobs and learning code and shit.

If you have no experience working with your hands the apprenticeship program would help you out alot.

As far as I know they work for 3 weeks and the 4th they do classwork. Then repeat that for 4 years.

Mine was accelerated.

1 year of school, if you get a scholarship you get a job too for the weekends.

Either school all day and weekends off or school all day and electrician work on the weekends.

I was pulling over 40 credits my first semester.
A little over 30 the sec0nd.

Do whatever you love.

I wish I would had become a professional fighter. Not joking nor trolling.

Union electrician here. Go to your local union, and apply. I went to school once every 2 weeks for 40 weeks for 5 years as my apprenticeship. Journeyman now. I travel for work by choice, some don't but I reeled in 110k take home last year.

In my mine its a never ending process.

I tell them to not get the radio wet when they wash their open cab ride down at the end of the week.

Next rotation im replacing water logged radios.

Join the Navy or army for an electrical field. You may or may not want to re-up but you'd have the best training and 4 years of experience.
Plus asshole employers will hire military over civilians.

When did you start getting paid?

>you can be a bad/stupid mechanic and survive
Coming from a third world mechanic, no, you won't survive your own idiocy if you are clinically retarded or at the very least not your whole self.

Military shit is so dead . I'm not selling my soul for 20 years, unless I absolutely have to, idc how good the pay.

This, at my last internship they hired this airforce mechanic as an electrician l.
His only experience was 24 volt systems on fighter jet guns.

He was a nice dude and all but an intern shouldnt be teaching full time employees how to read prints.

I love carpentry but it's short lived underpaid work. Very physical. Can't do it till retirement. Owning a business can be a nightmare especially in NY doing a risky trade. I'm currently trying to get into rentals, house flipping and vacation rentals. Work for myself but not having to deal with other contractors or customers is ideal but inevitable. My advise? Learn several different trades and there is big money in all types of maintainance.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I really just had no idea how becoming an electrician works, now I have a pretty good idea.

>20 years
Fucking where? Even here service is due for 4 years least.

I wouldn't have to stay in the army to reap the benefits of becoming an electrician in the army?

Plenty of hillbillies are brainy enough to be a mechanic, but expecting mechanics to be electeicians is suicide.

OK post some tits then nigger

Mind that no matter where you go you will be the lowest on the totem pole, everybody does their due as shop bitch.

Nah. This is all I got on this phone that's explicit. Op out thanks everyone

Not in the US as far as I cared to know.

And some bussiness managers are total idiots that think that discipline equals ability.

Become an RF test technician or metrology tech. Start off at $26 p/hour. Capitalize on the US manufacturing weaponry for our Israeli overlords.

I went from being an auto tech to RF tech. They both pay well, automotive pay is delayed...

I kind of hobby mechanic on the side.

Id die if my life depended on me setting up a carburetor correctly.

That's how i sarted...but my dad always pushed me to do what i was good at. My perspective was that i was good at what i did because it was a hobby. When it becomes a job, it sucks!

Sort of the same for me, being an electrician is very practical.

I cant say im passionate about my work.

being a licensed electrician requires a fair bit of technical knowledge along with practical stuff. im up in canada doing a one year electrical course right now and i don't think id have much fun trying to write for my license without having some schooling.

also my course counts as hours toward apprenticeship. i think it would be easier finding a first job after having some schooling too because you will know how to do basic wiring, bending conduit, doing conduit fill, and know your way around the electrical codebook already