/classical/

Karajan Edition

youtube.com/watch?v=VmHHGME5Qck

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W-_WnUIG1L0
youtube.com/watch?v=TxKob4TYWw0
youtube.com/watch?v=SAOf46CXaaw
youtube.com/watch?v=IPV9tfJNOvY
youtube.com/watch?v=7wkwkhB3xZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=1uTyGH93J9Y&ab_channel=AbbyFischer
youtube.com/watch?v=HwDW_upOvFU
youtube.com/watch?v=FyxtOWKmR30
youtube.com/watch?v=IPpzWjnrAVE
rateyourmusic.com/list/alimal/a-guide-to-gustav-mahler/
youtube.com/watch?v=7OZWGX-I6W0
youtube.com/user/LeChevalierDuFeu/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AxP6XyJyprU
youtube.com/watch?v=5h_P8YfVAjo
youtube.com/watch?v=mBJwxUK402k
youtube.com/watch?v=VccwugFx0Kk
youtube.com/watch?v=eQlsmfirpbA
youtube.com/watch?v=YzIk-cP5JGk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is everyone listening to masses today?

HAPPY EASTER, FAGGOTS!

Dvorak

youtube.com/watch?v=W-_WnUIG1L0

Avoid all Karajan records.

Sibelius

youtube.com/watch?v=TxKob4TYWw0

His hair game is absolutely fabulous though.

Tending towards Lutheran stuff but that's just because that's all we're singing in the Easter concert I'm part of in a few hours.
May break it up with something more Catholic now that I have a bit of a break before that though

I'm still undecided if the good bit of Mahler 2 is worth sitting through 45 minutes of filler. Same issue every Easter

Why the stigma about Karajan?

Are you... Bigoted?

Soulless.

Started with Messiah. Will probably turn to an early mass later...

As for Karajan, I don't mind him so much except for Beethoven. In any case I find he's good to listen to if you want to learn something new about a piece. I adore his Requiem Mass.

Prefer 2
youtube.com/watch?v=SAOf46CXaaw

kys jesus

Beethoven

youtube.com/watch?v=IPV9tfJNOvY

He collaborated with the Nazi regime. Fuck him.

The Western allies collaborated with the Soviet Regime, and they were just as bad.

Implying

>Handel's Messiah
>Bach's Easter oratorio
What else is essential?

>Nazis
kill 6 million jews, plus a few million cripples, homos and 'degenerates'

>Soviets
Stalin himself orders the deaths of ~49 million people. Many more horrifically imprisoned - some even in ex nazi concentration camps - that they had recently been prisoners in - for up to 20 years.
Some people estimate the unnatural deaths in the soviet union from 1928 - 1954 up to 62 million. And yet during WW2 all the western politicians tried to suck Stalins dick as hard as possible - even when they knew about things like Katyn and the mass removals of entire ethnic groups (like the Crimean tartars)

Anybody tryna get triggered?

youtube.com/watch?v=7wkwkhB3xZ8

>people "liking" all this shitty new age pop piano
>not one person can identify Satie

>speedruns
Absolutely degenerate.

How do I stop listening to Mahler's second symphony? The finale is so glorious that every time I try to switch CDs I just want to listen to it again. And again. And again. I even got a box set so I wouldn't do this, pic related.

Does /classical/ have classical favourite pieces/albums of the year? What are some recently released stuff y'all have been digging?

youtube.com/watch?v=1uTyGH93J9Y&ab_channel=AbbyFischer

what a baller symphony
That nigga wrote the best timp parts

Can't say I follow new recordings but I do have a few favourite works from the past few years - here's one of them
youtube.com/watch?v=HwDW_upOvFU

Why do I find Mahler so cheesy and grandiloquent?

Hindemith

youtube.com/watch?v=FyxtOWKmR30

how are they playing in the arctic with those clothes
her hands must be freezing!

She poured cayenne pepper into her vagina first.

How else do you think girls can wear skirts in chilly weather?

is: How to Listen to and Understand Great Music by Professor Robert Greenberg any good? I dowloaded it but he kinda sound like an idiot

Thanks for reminding me I have that downloaded
And no, you're the idiot

>Is ------------------- by Professor --------------- any good?

No.

Hey wait a minute, why do I hear him breath at 1:34 but his mouth doesn't leave the mouthpiece?

>mass removal of former slave traders and Ottoman dickriders
You say that as if it was a bad thing.

Fuck off dumb frogposter

>Abbado's Mahler
I like you.

But you'll never stop loving Mahler's 2nd.

I'm sorry for being new, but I really enjoy entry level pieces by Bach and Mozart and Beethoven, but have been getting into BBC released recordings of Leopold Stokowski conducting Mahler's Symphony No. 2 and Shostakovich's Symphony No. 5 and the like and I'm wondering where to explore next.

youtube.com/watch?v=IPpzWjnrAVE

I don't know how to follow this symphony. Like I love the beginning and the ending is super uplifting, but 20 minutes of the middle is like random swings in darkness to me.

I've played Sibelius' violin concerto and generally like his other symphonies so it's not like I'm new to him either.

If you like Shostakovich's 5th, then go to his 8th and 10th. Then go for his late period 14th and 15th, as they're very, very different.

Thank you so much. Any Mahler recommendations?

I'd peruse the links you have up in the OP, but it's just so daunting and overwhelming I don't even know where to start.

Also, any particular recordings of these pieces that are distinctly above the others or are they all mostly good?

rateyourmusic.com/list/alimal/a-guide-to-gustav-mahler/

What instrument should i learn?

What do you guys think of Mr. Vine?

youtube.com/watch?v=7OZWGX-I6W0

Much appreciated!

piano

piano

Harpsichord

Ok, what piano should i buy as a beginner?

Get a good used piano, as opposed to a cheap new one.

No upright so you mean a grand piano?
Wouldn't it be like 10k used?

How much should i spend on it if i want to get an used good one?

Also are digital piano not worth it?

Probably something like £3000 for a nice used upright piano? Could be less, just make sure the feel and sound of the piano is good.

Digital pianos are ok for the first 5 years or so, then they just become impossible to play some of the more advanced pieces on.

Ok thanks, do you think i can progress studying by myself or is a teacher necessary?
I have a basic understanding of music having studied guitar with a teacher in the past

You can get by without a teacher if you do your homework and make sure your technique is fine.

It's pretty simple, really. Fingers should be curved naturally (not flat) and your elbows should be still and not "jerk" outwards when you do your scales.

There are plenty of beginner piano music books with sensible progression, so you can just work through some. It'd be good if you have a friend who plays the piano or something, and maybe at some point just pop in and ask them if you're playing right.

youtube.com/user/LeChevalierDuFeu/videos

Now this is autism

More Dvorak

youtube.com/watch?v=AxP6XyJyprU

Not to worry. We were all new once.

Continue with Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven.

I'm partial to Mahler 1 and Shostakovich 9.

what's your favorite chamber ensemble?

string quartet
it's the most intimate sounding group

>Why do I find Mahler so cheesy and grandiloquent?
He kinda is
Love his music wish he had written more than 9 or 11 symphonies
and a load of amazing songs
Abbados some of the best love this box set

Chopin!

What are you chopping?

Because you should be listening to the whole symphony. And that involves listening to the first 45 minutes which is just filler for the most part before you get to the good bit of the symphony.

circular memeing

If you like Shosti 5, you'll probably like 12 (from his late period). It's not as well liked as far as Shosti goes because it's 5 except no-one tried to argue that it was ironic so people just see it as agitprop - which is unfair given that 5 is basically the same. 13-15 take things in a particular direction so are worth a listen: 13 is a bunch of Jewish folk tales set to music with the complementary instrumental influences; 14 is a song cycle with orchestral accompaniment and is all about death; 15 is a return to something of "normality" for Shosti, but he still quotes a number of western works within it.

13 is fantastic
if you can find it listen to Konrashin conducting 20/12/1962
a reaaly special recording

Love these old Russian Disc CDs

>listens to Beethoven once
youtube.com/watch?v=5h_P8YfVAjo

Albinoni
youtube.com/watch?v=mBJwxUK402k

Thank you all. I really appreciate the kindness.

This is my closest encounter with the world of art music and true technical musicality/compositions other than select genres of more improvisational jazz music.

Scarlatti

youtube.com/watch?v=VccwugFx0Kk

The Chaconne on piano is absolutely dreadful.

I like it

It doesn't sound right.

Who'd you listen to, anyway?

No idea.

Through the Night anyone?

youtube.com/watch?v=eQlsmfirpbA
this one?

No. I mean the radio program airing right now

Nobody fucking listens to the radio. It's all corporate bullshit that plays shitty pop music. Get out of here faggot.

So can someone tell me why everything in the mega links is poorly recorded garbage?

>he can't into the old recording meme
Plebeian

there's plenty of non-poorly recorded garbage in there, though

to answer your question, it's because interpretation > sound quality

Try Michelangeli, if you're talking about the Bach Chaconne.

Because you touch yourself at night.

>Nobody fucking listens to the radio. It's all corporate bullshit that plays shitty pop music. Get out of here faggot.

moron

>ITT: post controversial opinions
Childhood is idolizing Bach, adulthood is realizing that Vivaldi's melodic innovation and harmonic diversity made more sense.
youtube.com/watch?v=YzIk-cP5JGk