Finally gave this a listen for the first time, its really fucking good

Finally gave this a listen for the first time, its really fucking good

No idea why I was overlooking it, shoegaze with trip-hop beats is a great style. Makes sense to combine the two genres, especially given that they were both at peak relevance at the same time.

Sample:

youtube.com/watch?v=XILeGFrjPqk

Thoughts on the album? Are any of their other albums good? Are there other artists who had similar sounds?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rpPVPEoJdb0
youtube.com/watch?v=0L7-cSH7P40
youtube.com/watch?v=S06BzOpvwmg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'd suggest their next album, Lushlife. It's more straight-up trip hop but it's really good, retains that dreamy atmosphere.

I really like their album Lushlife, but you might be disappointed if you're expecting more shoegaze.

While not shoegaze-esque, you might enjoy Wagon Christ.

youtube.com/watch?v=rpPVPEoJdb0

The shift to being more trip-hop doesn't bother me, at least in theory. I'll give it a listen now.

Trip Hop was the final nail in the shoegaze coffin back in the day. the few bands that didnt go the brit-pop route took the trip-hop one.
The Telescopes and Curve are two good examples of this
Shoegaze peaked in 91-92
Trip Hop peaked in 94-95
by the later half of the 90s almost every "artsy" band/artist had trip-hop influences just to stay hip
god I hated that shit
source. I was a teen in the 90s

If MBV were more prolific in the 90s they would have pushed shoegaze bands into jungle and drum n bass.

>by the later half of the 90s almost every "artsy" band/artist had trip-hop influences just to stay hip

yeah I can see why you would be annoyed, if it was being done more and more just for the sake of being trendy. i think bowery electric pulled it off well though.

Kevin anounced that the folloup to Loveless was going to be "jungle" (we didnt call it drum and bass back then), but that was before trip-hop became a thing, it existed but only Portishead, Tricky and Massive Attack where labeled as such
I he ever made that album it would been mostly trip-hop with some drum and bass influences, he also said he was ditching guitars and rocked some dreadlocks
Should check out my old music magazines for that article next time I visit my mom so I can scan it and gain some internets

That would've been kinda neat. Like a noisier Primal Scream

What do you guys think about this transition to trip hop and drum n bass?

It's a rare find by the look of it. What a lucky photographer.

I never imagined them to be trip hop

more like the second half of MVB. Anyways, Kevin anounced the new album in every interview from 92 to 96 when journalist stopped believing him. he's very talented but a major asshole. specially now that we know he just had sketches of each one that ended up in MVB 20yrs later. also, remember he anounced an EP of 100% new material and proper vinyl reissues about 4 years ago
and Primal Scream was never good, Bobby just has some cool friends that join him every once in a while and help him make a good song every once in a while. XTRMTR was good thou

>proper vinyl reissues
Is it true that the current Loveless reissue is shit and mastered from the CD?

>Primal Scream was never good

ok m8

Yes, the only real vinyl issues where the ones released by creation and good luck finding those
Avoid the current ones like the plague, better to just get the CDs

pls, that album is overrated af. It aged like milk, PTV where doing the same rock/acid house thing years before and if it wasnt enough it's actually a ckassic rock album that got remixed once it was finished and then released as "innovative"
my 15yr self enjoyed it though, but bcs I knew no better.

The Plain versions are horrid. Same goes for The Mollusk

What are the chances that Elektra or Ween themselves will reissue those albums? I get the feeling those Plain albums were reissued without the band's involvement.

You might like Seefeel
youtube.com/watch?v=0L7-cSH7P40

Actually, I'm not even sure if it was done without the band's involvement. The Plain Recordings reissues are on Ween's official store.

I mean it's hard to say, The Mollusk in particular is in dire need of a reissue but not all Ween's albums have bad pressings, I'm pretty sure my version of Quebec is alright. Not even all Plain pressings are too bad honestly, they're never great but I have a Screamadelica release of theirs that's alright if I remember correctly.

Most "madchester" classics where released con vinyl worldwide, specially in south anerica. You can find a 91 screamadelica brazilian vinyl at a decent price if you look.
Unfortunately, shoegaze didnt have the same luck, except Chapterhouse bcs "falling down" could be confused with a charlatans single.
Fun fact

While we're on the topic of vinyl reissues, does anyone have the Souvlaki and Pygmalion reissues? How are they?

I thought curve was an industrial band

they started off shoegaze
youtube.com/watch?v=S06BzOpvwmg

They always had an industrial influence, but where always known for their shoegaze.
You probably heard "chinese burn" that is from 97. Check out Cukoo and thank me later, ignore contrarians that say their first is their best, its not

Paid a shitton of money for the cd imports back in the day, not buying them again
Having said that, a friend has the souvlaki vinyl reissue, its good. Go for it