What is harder to get into: Black Metal or Death Metal?

What is harder to get into: Black Metal or Death Metal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LUgpSZ2XYpE
youtube.com/watch?v=3xspdW6GTZo
youtu.be/wmBiKHjLJGA
quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-death-and-black-metal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes

I was headfirst into death metal as a 13 y/o and thought BM sounded like total shit (I love it now)
I'll let my personal experience speak for itself

atmofag here. can confirm

I got into Black Metal at first because it had more rhythm and I liked the vocals better because they were unique on each record and I thought that Death Metal was basically the equivalent to wanky prog but downtuned and with shitty vocals constantly. I'm now starting to lighten up to death metal.

I'd probably say black metal

Why?

They're both fucking shit.

t. non-nu male

k

BM, especially due to the production

What do you listen to? Power metal? Judas Priest?

BM

It's more "clustered"

Death metal from my personal experience

Black metal has a laundry list of shit that holds people back from getting into it. It as a huge variation so people hear one thing and give up entirely or get recc'd an album with super trash production and they might not necessarily understand that upon first listen. Also i think history contributes alot to bm and if you dont know it you might just totally miss the genre whereas deathcore is just like pretty standard music and the only thing holding people back is the vocals which I think are actually less strange than black metal vocals. Also youd be suprised how many people get put off by the satanism and chuch burning folklore. So to answer your question black metal WAY harder to get into imo

OP is that hunt the dinosaur. If so i lol'd

death metal, because it's not good

Black death metal

metal that's exclusively about the bubonic plague

or death metal made by black people

>deathcore is death metal
lmao

Proof that death metal is harder to get into than black metal right here

Kendrick Lamar

I never really listened to metal before, but I just recently got into Black Metal and I dug it immediately, especially Ambient and Depressive Black Metal. So take that however you will.

Listen to thrash first or else you're a numale poser
Only once you have accepted thrash into your soul can you truly "get" black metal

Kek

I listened to the first Metallica album, and all I can say is Trash? More like Trash! ;)

Death Metal because it fucking sucks

your favorite bm albums are
Hvis
Death - Pierce Me
Bergtatt
something by Drudkh
In The Nightside Eclipse

try to prove me wrong

Black metal devotees are the biggest posers in the world of music. Death metal isn't a gimmick.

wait

Kill 'Em All is pretty weak thrash. Try Megadeth's Rust in Peace or Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss. They're good but accessible thrash.

good post

Burzum and Darkthrone were the first metal I got into so I'd say Black Metal

??
according to the logic of your post, Death metal should be harder

i've only listened to filosofem and one death album (forgot which one)
i think filosofem is great, hated the death album.

Listen to more. Start with Metallica and then steadily work your way up to more extreme metal.

>hated the death album
try this one, it's pretty entry level
youtube.com/watch?v=LUgpSZ2XYpE

Black Metal. Traditional Death Metal is, for the most part, thrash turned up to 11. Black metal tends to have, unconventional song structures, strange vocals and lo-fi production all which serve to alienate the listener.

youtube.com/watch?v=3xspdW6GTZo

When I was younger, I got into Death Metal first, and felt it was the superior genre. Now that I'm older I much prefer Black Metal, still love Death Metal though.

Actually, what I like best is that first wave of black/death bands like sodom and sarcofago that just played really fucking evil thrash

youtu.be/wmBiKHjLJGA

>Actually, what I like best is that first wave of black/death bands like sodom and sarcofago that just played really fucking evil thrash
THIS IS THE TRVEST OPINION IN THE THREAD

where did i say that

>t. non-nu male
Why did you feel the need to add that to the end of your post?

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE!

What's the difference? I'm not trolling,'I actually wanna know.

If we're talking about "babby's first band" entry-level "poser" bands, then Death metal is the hardest to get into. Those "Cookie Monster angrily trying to suck his own dick" vocals, and edgy middle-school lyrics, are a real immediate turn-off regardless of the actual music.

On the other hand some bulllshit like late 90s Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir are incredibly easy to get into and then go deeper into the Black metal hole.

quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-death-and-black-metal

Thanks

I got into black metal first because it's what I was exposed to first. Well really I was shown Agalloch and it's stuff like that, that very accessible almost black metal stuff, that makes black metal more accessible. People who like folk stuff can get into black metal, people who like prog can get into black metal, people who like shoegaze can get into black metal, etc. While those entry points aren't totally absent in death metal, I feel like they're way way less common. The majority of death metal centers around a pretty gruesome, individualistic machismo that's also probably more alienating than people give it credit for. Black metal is also sort of an "anyone can do this" type genre more so than death metal so is sort of less alienating in that regard. So if the question is which would it be harder for me to get someone into, that'd be death metal.

However if you are going to just throw a random black metal album and a random death metal album at some guy then I'd say it's quite possible death metal might be more appealing. For instance if it's death metal on the more melodic end and black metal on the more raw end then they might like the death metal album more.

Another factor is that I think death metal is way more popular so I think teens lookin fer angery music might just find death metal first....but then when they find bm they'll be really smug about it

I started in nu-metal and got into Black metal.

I went from Disturbed to Cradle of Filth to Immortal to Burzum

I took one listen to Cannibal Corpse around the same time and read the lyrics, because I couldn't understand them, and was like "haha no thanks"

Black metal is too weird for an average listener. If someone enjoys metal core or post hardcore then they can jump into Death metal with only little problem. Black metal you need to get use to it before you can enjoy listening to it.

Sex.

Black Metal is usually phase for poseurs that done even listen to metal. Death Metal is a lifestyle.

>If someone enjoys metal core or post hardcore then they can jump into Death metal with only little problem
I've yet to see a single As I Lay Dying fan with an Incantation shirt

Definitely took me a lot longer to get into black metal than it did for death metal. Been enjoying it way more than death metal since getting into it though

Actually I was fan of Death Metal (I still am, not as much though) but Black Metal ended up being my favorite.

Im not saying that they listen to them i'm saying that they'll have an easier time getting into Death metal than Black metal