Is there anything in the real world that is actually infinite, and not just a really...

Is there anything in the real world that is actually infinite, and not just a really, really big number (or merely an idea, like numbers)?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Your mom's gaping vagina.

the amount of dicks you suck in a day

time

nigga time's finite

The entire world's hatred for the US.

Time is a human construct

The size of space is always expanding according to current science. I'd say that is infinite

>The entire world's hatred for the US.
You meant muslims instead of US

>Time is a human construct
How we measure time is, the passage of time is not

Gr8 b8 m8

Taxes and death
/Thread

>Time is a human construct
no it's fucking not

this, time istelf will always be and always was, we just started measuring it

black holes are real physical objects
yet their gravitational pull is infinite

duality. duality is infinite

I asked my coworker...He said "Monday"....So I threw my stapler at him.

Yes it is you're retarded

Nah man, time will exist even after you, forever

Stop treating it like a number. The answer is yes.

Yup. Parallel Universes.

Are you retarded? Time didn't begin until the Big Bang, and it will end if/when the universe collapses into a singularity once again

sand on the beach . now go start counting it let me know when your done

What about Boltzmann entropy and heat death?

Yeah...Pie you moron. That shit never ends.

but things still exist, as long as anything exists there is time

God.

My love for you, OP.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

no it isn't you fucking faggot read some physicist and not some humanities teacher

of course it will go on after myself, but not after the universe itself
If there's no action, there's no time. To have an action you need time (past, action, future/new state)

Only scenario time's infinite is heat death just like said

faggotry on Sup Forums

Except when areas in space show time can be distorted. Time is able to be manipulated. Time is relative. Time is a construct. Constructs aren't permanent.

Wait...Yeah...Mr Bones Wild Ride...

Depending on your opinions on free will, there is an infinite number of possible outcomes at any given moment on earth

Wrong. When everything exists as a singularity time does not exist.

This

Quantitative infinities are logically impossible, because they lead to contradictions. See Hilbert's Hotel.

God is infinite, but in a qualitative sense. Depending on God, time and the universe can potentially be infinite, but there is no actual infinite.

shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe

Why not? Something still exists, something will still happen and/or is happening, thus time is real.

>time is a human construct

No. Its not.

Our perception of time could be innaccurate as to what it actually is, but its an extremely important variable in basically everything in the entire universe.

Taoist God, Christian God? Plz define what "God" your stating

WRONG. every action you've ever done was decided by a combination of two things: nature and nurture. how you were born (brain chemistry [personality, brain problems, etc]) and everything around you up until that moment. if you decide to get a coffee, it's because of a mixture of how you feel currently because of past events, your experience with coffee in the past, and your personality (adhd people might like coffee more). it's a LOT more complex then that, but that's the general picture.

Anyone want to prove me right or wrong on this? As far as I can tell the only way I see anything to "be" is for to be a "not be" that counters (/supports) it.

No. you don't understand how time operates as part of spacetime. When space is infinitely condensed, time does not and cannot exist.

Doesn't matter, because as of yet, God is a social construct. There is no evidence of him/her/it existing, except books that are thousands of years old.

that's a fallacy as you can't be sure "something will still happen". Also a singularity being the entire universe would mean t=0 so some physical bullshit singularities create could "start" time again in another big bang. But time dies as it begins.

This is something infinite. (And under this logic, not infinite)

This.

But Ive also heard the chaotic weirdness that exists without time is what caused time and the creation of the universe.

this
Big Crunch = death of time

The greatest conceivable being, having qualities such as being personal, all knowing, incredibly powerful, and the paradigm of morality.

This would narrow it down to the Montheistic religions, but which God it is is irrelevant. Personally I believe in the Christian God, who is the same as the Jewish God, but it doesn't matter in this case.

Yeah, my power.

the numbers after 3.14 in pi

just your standard all-powerful god. Abrahamic religions' God would be the best example (judaism christianity and islam share similar positions on what inifity is)

Americans thinking that was bait.

A Big Crunch will never happen

I find it a poor (and frankly stupid) sweeping assumption to say it doesn't matter when God as the Taoist's or Buddhist understood and God as the West. Make your argument but dont be stupid enough to make your arguments that general.

What this thread needs is a robotic voice, perhaps similar to whats used with steven hawking, to read all of the comments.

Niggers

Careful with that edge

>

Some years ago was still thought of as a big possibility
But I was just using the scenario for the singularity thing. You could still have the same effect in any existing black hole with time reaching zero

Wrong but okay

the distance between 0 and 1

Also digits/numbers.

Problem?!

Filthy spamur

Im not murican that was b8 and wrong

Alright. This is a bit out of my range of having scientific, or observational data to regard as a breaker to my argument. I welcome you guys to help me pick this further.

>Zeno's arrow paradox meme

Hows that hole in your chest?

Time may still exist at that point, it's our mathematical understanding of that process which is limited to our understanding...aka dividing by zero

Pic semi related, Einsteins mass dilation equation, time dilation is the same but just sub time for mass

Not with the current knowledge of science.

There are possibilities that might allow a big crunch.

What difficulty are you having exactly?

Time doesn't reach zero see

I'm gonna say the meme:
If there are no observers, time doesn't exist as it isn't percieved

Да Епта!

The way I understand the world is that things are only able to exist because they have a counterpart to define there very existence. This is a theory which (unlike God) is observational and true. If you want to be abstract and try to understand God, we have to base his properties off of what's observational. Therefore this "creator" is only as relevant as his ability to create. And his creations are in nature the opposite of him. This is a duality in which he is able to define himself AS a creator.

Alright, I'm chill.

Beta male.

The universe is expanding at an accelerated rate in a frictionless plane. Now explain how that is going to stop reverse and come back together

Strong vs weak forces

Those operate on the microscale, subatomic particles and such, not the macroscale aka the universe. Nice try tho

Your fat ass undoing billions of years of acceleration from its sheer gravitational pull.

"possible outcomes" is still just an idea; one and only one of those possibilities will happen (be it randomly as quantum physicists would have us believe or deterministically)

odd numbers

The picture you posted is the moon Europa. That has finite dimensions. There you go.

oh

wat

That's not really true. We're not angry, we're just disappointed.

>has finite dimensions
>finite dimensions
L-LEWD!

>we
Speak for youself

It was a joke based on that being what parents often say to their kids. Way to get butthurt about it, though, that was impressive.

Well the universe may be infinite.... So the entire real world may be infinite.

>butthurt
just saying speak for yourself holy shit calm down

>what parents often say to their kids
what have you done to be a disappointment?

Intertia vs gravity. An anaolgy would be tossing a rock "up", intertia from your toss goes until gravity overcomes your force, pulling it back in.

The big idea I can recall (though im shit at explaining things) is the weak pertsistant forces draw everything in, but the parts start bouncing off eachother and that activity increases as the space occupied condenses, eventually theres a breaking point, everything busts out and expands, the cycle repeats its self.

Do you know what butthurt means?

/thread

Just about every action I've ever taken. I'm alright with it, though.