Hollywood Now Worries About Viewer Scores, Not Reviews

>Hollywood’s latest obsession isn’t a star or a script but a number.

>Eager to understand consumer behavior in a year when seemingly surefire successes such as sequels to the hits “Independence Day,” “Alice in Wonderland” and “Snow White and the Huntsman” have fizzled at the box office, studio executives increasingly are fixated on websites such as Rotten Tomatoes that average hundreds of reviews into a single score between one and 100.

>For decades, studio concerns centered on prestigious critics at elite publications who not only had large followings but set a tone followed by many reviewers in smaller markets. Now, the conventional wisdom is that individual reviews matter only to a small group of older moviegoers.

>Among younger people, scores from Rotten Tomatoes and its smaller competitor, Metacritic, have become a go-to indicator of quality that shows up in search results on Google, Yahoo and Fandango and often drives social-media conversations.
wsj.com/articles/hollywood-turns-spotlight-on-websites-that-aggregate-movie-reviews-1469038587

It's over Rotten Tomatoes has own.

Good

hope you like marvel movies because that'll be the standard for movies from now on

Can you post the rest of the article?
Seems i'd have to subscribe to read it.

Hollywood movies have been shit for a long time now. What do you actually think this will cause? Movies to become shittier? Would we even notice?

Unfortunately they are out of touch and fail to realize how manipulated those sites are.

is this good? i honestly cant tell

IMDB is better it baffles me why anyone even uses RT

Americans don't read reviews, they just see capeshit ads on the tv and listen to what their friends said was good

Thank you kind sir

>>Among younger people, scores from Rotten Tomatoes and its smaller competitor, Metacritic, have become a go-to indicator of quality that shows up in search results on Google, Yahoo and Fandango and often drives social-media conversations.
That's why whenever capeshit is about to be released you only see rottentomatoes threads on Sup Forums...

relly makes you think....

>Rotten Tomatoes

But those are reviewers, I don't understand what you mean by this

It's essentially saying that Hollywood doesn't give a fuck what people are saying about the film, just the number a film receives collectively from all reviewers o audiences.

I'm not even sure how this is news.

>all that hipster, numale shit
>that diversity
Christ, 10 bucks says thats the writer's room for TBBT

(((critics)))

Didn't work for Ghostbusters, hmmm.

literally any retard can become a critic though

All you need is a certain number of followers and videos per week and you can be on Rotten Tomatoes

Why don't they make films because they like the script, like why does anything else matter at all? Fucking arseholes

i feel like there's a joke to be made about that picture with a certain word beginning with a c

>Implying Hollywood executives read

This at the very least shows that maybe they should concentrate a bit more on quality. Maybe this will form the creation of more semi-independent studios willing to pay for critically-acclaimed, low-budget work now that they see how fucking much money they have thrown down the drain this Summer

>websites such as Rotten Tomatoes that average hundreds of reviews into a single score between one and 100.
>score between one and 100
For fuck's sake.

More likely they'll just get a think tank to determine what qualities high scoring films have in common and then create a formula based on the results and then pump out an assembly line of films adhering to that formula.

That's a pretty optimistic view you have there, user.

THATS BECAUSE RT BEING PAID OFF IS TOO WELL KNOWN ALREADY

WSJ IS WAY BEHIND THE CURVE ON THIS ONE

Here in Europe nobody reads reviews anyway. We just get whatever movies come in from Hollywood and watch them because we don't have a choice.

That is still subject to fan boys and brigading before and during release. Cinemascore is the only real barometer to see if general audiences like something. After that, it's all personal taste.

Kek

I'll take "what is a percent" for $100, Alex

That must have been weird when you took Oppa and Omma to see TMNT2: Out Of The Shadows

Just contracts. And even then you have Adam Sandler situations where you just have to keep financing his vacations.

I have never used Rotten Tomatoes. I tend to go by IMDB scores. The IMDB scores seem a lot less politically motivated.

imdb is dictated by the taste of teenage boys and your average Joe Pleb.

It's just as bad, if not worse.

Movies like Avatar and Deadpool are rated way too high, but I don't need to check ratings for those kinds of movies anyway. The male teen Redditors jsut skew the results for those sort of mindless blockbusters. Also the results for Indian movies and HK movies are way too high usually. Everything else is pretty close.

I can't take either seriously. I only use critics to back up my opinions and ignore the ones that go against.

Yeah, I had one with very similar tastes to my own who I liked to follow their choices.

The problem with Metacritic is I can grade a movie with a 0 for really stupid reasons the same way someone can rate it with a 10 with even more stupid reasons.

Fuck critics though.

Good thing I'm not autistic so the average normie opinion is good enough for me.

The tomatometer isn't a "score."