>mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM RECTO V30 L2.wav

old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jkn8EE1AbvI
youtube.com/watch?v=n_CJIqPMyBs
youtube.com/watch?v=DrlF4Tc8qC8
youtube.com/watch?v=QIin1JJgifc
youtube.com/watch?v=9lJOkXETO70
guitarfetish.com/KP--Crunchy-PAT-High-Output-Humbucker-Black--Kwikplug-Ready_p_21733.html
youtube.com/watch?v=PPmuwhnrvFM
clyp.it/q04y25jk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for the one

youtube.com/watch?v=Jkn8EE1AbvI

>mfw guy are really sounding like clapton at times

thx Rob, ppd sent

jesus christ how did they think it was a good idea to put music underneath the audio of Paul Gilbert demoing a guitar

SOON

Anyone here play dobro or other lap steels? been thinking of buying a squareneck lately, but there isn't much to try out in my area

How to get my strat to sound like a good strat
I put some 57/62 replicas on it and it sounded weak and lacking, and had some real ear piercing highs.

Because i that i swapped them for some overwound single coils. Like that Fender's srv Texas pickup, but even heavier. Shit has bass now.
But most of the quack is gone, that nice bright top end is gone and its full of muddy mids and high mids.

What do? Order some 57/62 that slighly overwound that gives bass but doesnt cut all the quack?

youtube.com/watch?v=n_CJIqPMyBs
This was recorded with a 62 reissue Japanese strat, how did they get this bassy, rich sound?
Other strats ive played with regular vintage pickups dont sound like that song. They sound ear piercing and thin like mine did, but not weak and lacking, and could probably result on that tone after recording and mixing.

hows a dobro? a regular guitar thats worked to sound more like a lapsteel/pedalsteel?

Get a good amp, learn to EQ and realize that the whole point of using a strat is the "twang".

Use a good tube amp with slight break-up, use neck pickup and vol+tone controls on your guitar. Also fingers

Can anyone recommend a good routine for learning barre chords? Been trying for a while, but was using heavy strings. Swapped them out for thinner strings now, so hopefully that'll help. I've made a fair bit of progress so far but I'd appreciate something that would help fine tune. Thanks.

Sam you really need to get a life

Dobro is actually a brand name (kind of like Kleenex) that's become the generic term for acoustics with resonator cones, often built specifically for playing with a steel or slide. Mostly used in country/folk bullshit.

It's basically an earlier version of electric steel guitar, and the technique is similar to nonpedal steel.

youtube.com/watch?v=DrlF4Tc8qC8

Thanks mate

It's probably your amp. Texas Specials should sound pretty close to that clip.

I tried boosting bass on my amp, and with amplitube and its EQ pedal, and it didnt help. At times it sounded bassy, but not with actual body.

I'm trying to find an old recording i did of the 57/62 sounding thin even with bass boost.

The tube break up actually helped to increase bass and body

For now, focus on barreing the first 3 strings only. Find a up/down spot with your index finger to match the finger bones on the strings. Also experiment with positioning the fingers

Mine arent actual Texas Specials, its similar but even more overwound and with different materials. This is the pickup model youtube.com/watch?v=QIin1JJgifc
I got it to get rid of the earpiecing highs and it actually rolled all the bright twang away
Maybe if i just get a Texas Specials set it would do already

Got it. thanks for clarifying

Why is this thread so slow nowadays?

brazillians killed it

shitposters aren't awake yet

I've got a load of parts to build a lap steel, old Tele pickup and bridge, routing template for the headstock and a peel and stick fretboard from georgeboards.com, not go round to doing any building yet. It keeps sliding now my list of projects.

>Holdsworth died yesterday
wtf

Been listening to him all day, forgot how ridiculous he was. His 70s stuff is especially remarkable since he was using the basic guitar into overdriven amp rock tone of the tone of the time.

youtube.com/watch?v=9lJOkXETO70

Quite impressive how smooth his legato was with so little gain

Nice. I've thought about doing something like that someday, but I'm also pretty happy with what I have right now. I've got an old Gibson lap steel from the late 40s/early 50s that plays decent and sound great. Sorta of similar in shape to the design you posted.

Friendly reminder that literally all you need to learn is power chords

I just want one because I always play slide in standard tuning but I'd like to give open C6 a try. I hate retuning guitars so the lap steel would be the experimental tuning machine.

C6 is cool but has kind of a steep learning curve, especially if you're getting into slants and so on. But well worth it if you're into Hawaiian and early country.

Yeah I heard those were exactly Allan Holdsworth's last words.

>tele
Varmint

Ain't she a beaut?

What's there to say; Us and our cancers.
No good can be done

No problem, I've used alternate tunings in the past and I can think my way into new tunings pretty quickly.

Revolting

can someone link to the /gg/ discord?

I thought the thank you would be a bit more than 'your one step from death' , which literally makes sense

just doing a survey, who in this thread actually uses any of the links OP posts every single thread?

I used them for the Guthrie books

If you took any stats class you would learn that voluntary response bias will occur here, as only those with strong opinions will reply to this voluntary survey. Also no, tongue my anus

I prefer to buy things

>tongue my anus
Yeah sure

I own about half of those books and I think it's good they're available. But I also wouldn't be opposed to switching some out with better material. Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar is really outdated, and everyone should have a copy of the Berklee Guitar Method.

I actually think the same, but I don't know much about modern jazz methods.
What would you put instead of Baker's jazz?

I like Jody Fisher's Jazz Guitar Method as far as beginning books go. It's pretty approachable and specific, unlike Baker. And it's not sixty years old.

Miles Okazaki- Fundamentals of Gutiar

roman got a job

It's quite funny you say that, because I just read on another site that Baker's book is more "beginner friendly". I will definitely check out Jody Fisher's book tho. I saw some of his videos, and the concepts he covered were quite good.

Hey /gg/

So the guitar below is my mexican Stratocaster SSS

I am very happy with every aspect of it apart from one and that is when I play with gain/distortion.

It just sounds very cheap and "thin"

I love the clean sound of a singlecoil but I think I need a humbucker to get that dirty "punk" sound that I like.

Could someone maybe show me a pickup that fits my criterea?

I have only been playing for 7 months to please go easy on me.

I got a metronome app with a timer on it and it's making me realize I practice a lot less than I think I do. I though I'd done a lot of metronome practice today but I've only actually done 30 minutes.

>the guitar below is my mexican Stratocaster SSS
There is no guitar below this post

If you can't get a punk tone out of anything, you can't play worth shit
which is even more ironic when punks can't play

Yeah, I hear a lot of praise for Baker, but I just didn't get as much out of it as others. It's heavy on demonstration and teaching by example. It gives you specific chords, substitutions, licks, etc. to play but only scratches the surface on theory. (either it assumes you know it, or very vaguely explains things).

Mostly it feels like you're learning to "sound" like a jazz guitarist but not learning to "think" like one. It's pretty hard to go in your own direction from what you're given.

Fisher starts with theory/concepts and then goes into examples, and for me that helped build on them on my own. I feel like it does a better job of helping people "think" in a jazz sense, and develop their own ideas and sound.

-git gud
-don't think about new guitar, mexistrat is fine, try some other distortion pedals

What amp are you playing through

do you think maybe I should go with a fuzz pedal?

I have heard it sounds better with single coils.

maybe the big muff.

I have tried every truss adjustment, but I can't get rid of fret buzz when playing power chords.

I have a Fender Mustang I V2

I now it's pretty shit but I like having access to all effects with fuse.

Any humbucker will do, just get some shit from GFS or Dragonfire, will be about the same as Dimarzio/Seymour Duncan.

guitarfetish.com/KP--Crunchy-PAT-High-Output-Humbucker-Black--Kwikplug-Ready_p_21733.html

>complains about electric guitar tone
>says nothing about amp
I'd like to believe this is bait, but I know it's not

>its another '/gg/ accuses others of not being able to play' episode
I guarantee you any punk guitarist would blow you and your gc guitar of the month les paul out of the water

That's why it sounds thin you dummy

That sounds perfect for me, to be able to "think" like a musician/jazz player. I am guilty of doing mindless noodling on the guitar, and that sets me back quite a bit. Thanks user for introducing me to a great book.

fuzz is great, but not a punk tone per se. fuzz is more hendrix, sabbath, stoner rock tone. big muff is more of a fuzz-flavoured distortion pedal than a true fuzz, but totally worth it. go try some out at your local guitar shop. (also try out a proco rat and a boss ds-1)

>I guarantee you any punk guitarist would blow you and your gc guitar of the month les paul out of the water
let me just quickly quote someone
>>its another '/gg/ accuses others of not being able to play' episode

Punk is one of the easiest genres to play. If not the easiest one of all.

no cap in this world will help you with that amp

Glad to help man. The "intermediate" book in the series was especially helpful for me because it goes in-depth on phrasing and improvisation in a way many books don't.

Stop being an elitist faggot then. Just because you can throw down some chuck berry lick with the guitar behind your back doesn't mean that playing 3 power chords makes you any worse. Styles are different and if you think someone like greg ginn or pat smear are bad guitarists then you would be wrong

Nah, im just at work.

Also this

well instead of just coming with "clever" remarks how about you actually give the guy an example of a good amp?

oh and while you're at it, climb down from that chrome horse you fucking pathetic piece of shit.

I hope you rot from aids-cancer untill you're just a little pile of dust that I can just blow away.

I will kill your mother and rape your dad, you fucking waste of skin.

>Styles are different and if you think someone like greg ginn or pat smear are bad guitarists then you would be wrong
Oh boy look at that. Two whole competent people.
On average, punks suck. There, happy now ?

>being this mad

You might want to ease out on the Dying Fetus lyrics there.

>greg ginn
>competent
Havent seen any of the more recent black flag live videos, have you?

>if you think someone like greg ginn or pat smear are bad guitarists then you would be wrong
k den
youtube.com/watch?v=PPmuwhnrvFM

Wow, this thread is shit and it's not even my fault.

Oh man, can't wait to get to that part. Phrasing, and improvisation is my weakest area. In what "way" did the book help you on that regard.

Clearly you don't understand that punk riffs are based around quick short chords that get to the point. Go back to your smiths pretension fan club and whine about not being able to come up with anything because theory won't let you write anything you like

Bait

>mfw 2:27

are there any other chord shapes like C7 that you can move all over the fretboard?

Barre chords. Basically any open chord that doesnt take 4 fingers to fret

jesus google bar chords

This is bad ass, you're just used to corny cock rock lead players.

barr chords are hard though

Wew, would you look at that, we've got a bloody prophet here.
Man, you understand that punk is basically just angry, musically illiterate retards ? You must truly be gifted.

>wants to be good
>doesnt want to practice
Typicall fa/gg/ot

again another person that needs to climb the FUCK down from your fucking chrome horse.

Can you see us down here from your ivory tower?

I bet Eric Clapton would just get down on his knees and suck your fucking dick wouldn't he?

You are just a fucking GUITAR GOD

did the person who write the C7 thing ever state that they didn't know barre chords?

How about you use your fucking brain before you start typing a bunch of fucking bullshit you pathetic worm

If you don't have anything meaningful to write then you don't have to reply at all

pls no bully

could someone please rate this riff I made? :)

clyp.it/q04y25jk

WE HU/GG/FEST NOW

Wait, what's this then ?

oh yeah i forgot we can only listen to technically demanding music better get back to all that fancy jazz and opera which, as educated musicians, we listen to exclusively, right?

>clyp.it/q04y25jk
I very much fancy it, very nice

>ITT

might get this printed on a t-shirt now

Just because it's too hard to grasp for you doesn't mean it's technically demanding.

It just breaks things down in very specific ways. Has you phrase based on specific notes from the progression, makes you aware of rhythmic placement, and so on.

Basically just made me more mindful of the process and gave me some structure, instead of aimless, endless noodling.

i'll shove my Boss RC-1 loop station right up your ass dude.

Get his ass