Sword thread, let'sdebate and argue over which sword is the best ever invented

Sword thread, let'sdebate and argue over which sword is the best ever invented.

>It's totally the saber.

What are you, ten?

A KATANA CAN CUT A SPACE SHUTTLE IN HALF WITH ONE STROKE HURDURRRR

No.

m'lady

So this....whole sword..culture...thing...the idea of moody teenagers going around with sabers or katanas or what have you....

This was fucking started by Highlander wasn't it?

What the fuck is actually wrong with liking swords?

Give me a REAL reason, not your bias "hurr durr autistic screeching" bullshit you people normally say.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

Get on my level faggots

O shit son, this is the real hero we all deserve.

Falx master race!

French national guard saber all the way.

Oh hey, something to pick my nose with.

My dude.

Something which forced Romans to reinforce their shitty armor and helmets because they were getting rekt even behind tower shields

I'm referring less to liking swords themselves and more to the sort of would-be-badass culture depicted by

Fume Knight Ultra Greatsword

One word. Weeaboos

>Frostmorne

well ya know, some people are actually interested in history, not everyone here is a "Nothin personnel, kid" katana carrying weeaboo edgy autist. Then again, the majority is.

Not a weeb, I swear, but don't most weapon experts consider the katana to be the best sword ever made, all things considered?

A hatchet is more useful

Point beats the edge faggot.

No that's just autism

Outdated technology that serves no purpose.
Its like placing a handsaw on your wall. Its weird and serves no purpose

No.They comment on the craftsmanship that go into them, but no, they don't

Almost got me to fall for your b8 you tricky fuck

Fuck off Dacian scum.

>not a saber

So you don't have any hobbies?

Great - so what's the answer, O Master Swordsmith?

its sharp, yeah, but it is really unreliable and bends easily, and striking any hard surface may create dents.

hello, my name is ralph and I am from Cincinnati. Please send me a picture of female breasts.

Thank you.

Recreation is a purpose. Non lethal incapacitation is a purpose.

Asking out of curiosity, maybe some swordfag is knowledgeable on this.

Is the katana actually the most superior sword or is that just made up autistic weeb shit?

I do, I sport shoot.
Something more modern and practices a skill.
Not swinging a piece of metal around screaming about how Im a samurai saving a princess from stormtroopers or some shit

Dunno about that, but it can cut the balls off of a flying Fly, so that it will never breed.

Your b8 is unoriginal and unimaginative

Sword? Pfft.
>Axe is life. Actually useful in more than just combat.

>sword
>non lethal.
So tazers and tranqs arent a thing

You see, there is no such thing as "The best sword ever invented" because it all comes down to personal preference. OP is retarded, and the katana is a shit weapon.

Fucking weeb bet you jack off to that pic. Take your rpg shit and shove it up your ass.

You cant come up with youre own so you insult my own?
Pft, kid youre loose

>the katana is a shit weapon

lol ok. So what's your preference? What cuts up milk cartons the best in your mom's back yard, you fat fedora wearing neckbeard?

weeb shit

Swords don't necessarily kill dickhead. Just because those other things exist don't preclude sword from being a viable short range option. Batons still exist despite taser

>youre loose..
Kek. Top bait.

Historically, you're right. The Francisca, or Franzia, was used by the Franks (yes, France is named after this tribe) to destroy their enemies armed with swords. The Franzia had greater penetration, more pounds per square inch on impact, and was balanced so that it could also be thrown, spinning, and with some skill, hit head first at the target.

Learn how to greentext, candy-ass

Didn't see the White flag compartment. Where is it ?

The Muslim still find them useful in chopping off the hands of first time offender criminals, or chopping of the heads of Christians and Jews. True, most Muslim are still living in the 7th Century, but they do use them daily.

The vikings used hatchets/axes as one of their most common weapons as well.
One of the most common finds fro that age is viking made axes. Or what's left of them.

original falxfag here, pic wasnt posted by me. Also since people started bringing up axes and shit, might as well add that my favourite weapon overall is a bardiche.
>favourite gun is Saiga-12, for the one guy bitching about medieval stuff

Probably a French Saber like one handed and legal for open carry.

Your spelling and grammar just gave me full blown aids son.

>You see, there is no such thing as "The best sword ever invented" because it all comes down to CONTEXT
Doesn't matter how much you prefer your nodachi, that thing is fucking neutered if you're fighting the amazon.

is that a seal clubbing instrument

Are you talking about the shape or the construction? The katana persisted in Japanese culture for nearly a millenia. During that time european metallurgy progressed to the point where a european sword could easily damage or destroy a katana while Japanese culture refused to adapt, choosing instead to cling to tradition.

You can see this during the dutch invasion, where their thin parrying daggers could easily parry the blow of the much heavier and thicker katanas.

Albion Knecht Kriegsmesser

>legal for open carry.

That would be one of your requirements, wouldn't it? I can see you in your legionnaires outfit at your local Starbucks.

Sure, name one modern group who uses swords in some sort of non lethal takedown scenario
>protip:you cant

gh

Rood

It's terrible really. At some point the emperor declared its design perfect and sacred and basically stopped the improvement of the weapon. This lead to the katana lacking key improvements like a hilt and being heavier than larger european counterparts. All in all it's just a giant fucking meme.

t. westerboo autist

It could be.

So let's say we took that same metallurgy technology and applied it to a katana. What then?

Its pagentry, nothing more.
It maybe affective but you could just as easily hang them

Trench club master race

My word usage is shit, but I still havent heard a good enough retort sonny

I'm of the opinion that the Estoc is a super neat weapon. I also really like the look of the Jian sword.

Then you have a two handed weapon with an impractical design. Maybe shorten it's handle, give it a full tang and throw on a basket hilt, and maybe then you'd have something worth using.

Nearly all swordfights in ancient history were on the battlefield. In that context, the best sword is one that can easily be wielded at the same time as a large shield, and supports a stabbing motion. These were commonly known as arming swords, and there are a variety of them that have survived in the archeological record to support this. Functionally, any lightweight, relatively-short, one-handed sword is nearly identical in this function.

If you're romanticizing it instead, as in a duel... Than a thin, light sword from the late Gothic period would give you the reach and speed necessary to defeat most earlier swords, while simultaneously being extremely resistant to breakage.

I like the way you think Mayne

>while Japanese culture refused to adapt, choosing instead to cling to tradition.
This... This doesn't really reflect the reality of the situation. The reason why the japanese use their FORDED ONE MIRRION TIMESU method is because of what they had to work with: generally shit quality, low purity iron ore. The whole folding thing comes from them repeatedly folding the iron back onto itself to work more carbon into the metal and work out impurities.

Considering the limitations of what they had to work with, the japanese actually did quite well with minimal resources. Now, should they have adapted design more than they did? Probably. But in terms of material science, europeans and the japanese were playing with different rules.

If you want an example of the japanese willingness to adapt, just look at their enthusiastic adoption of firearms as soon as they were available.

>Not a single katana
Plebs

In addition to this fag: you'd still have a sword with a faulty sharp edge that would not last in settings where it's matched versus european armor or weaponry. It would be great for cutting down unarmed cattle.

>Low purity ore.
I read somewhere that the best way for get anything decent for sword craft was to smelt down sand and get the iron that way.

A Battleaxe and an Axe for Wood are not the same thing...

What about european renaissance longswords/two-handerd used to counter pike formations like the swiss square or the tercios?

Regarding katanas, weren't they mostly intended as a sidearm type weapon rather than the primary killing tool? I was under the impression that Samurai would rather use a bow or spear.

I don't know much about Japanese medieval warfare though, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

15 years ago back in year 10 metal work (shop class fat americans probably call it), me and a mate tried to make some swords. teacher was ok with it as long as wel didn't put edges on them

tried to base mine of the morrowind daedric claymore but couldn't get anywhere near it. still hanging up in my study.

need to clean the rust off it

Warhammers get no love
"Plate armor? No problem, ill just turn the plate into a sharp edge in the inside of his armor"

Interesting - thanks.

The katana is thicker (and thus heavier) than swords designed in the late medieval / early renaissance period that took advantage of this advanced metallurgy.

It is shorter than a proper two-handed sword and longer than an arming sword. It is roughly the same length as a longsword, and it's curvature would make it more useful for striking blows from horseback, although the scimitar outperforms it in such a function.

If both opponents are unarmored, it loses against contemporary swords like the rapier. If both opponents are armored, it loses against swords with a similar weight but significantly more reach and a better shape for puncturing armor like the estoc, and it also loses against heavier swords like the claymore.

In addition, the method that the japanese used for sharpening the katana left it with an edge that was unsuitable for fighting armored opponents, a much blunter edge would be required to avoid damaging the blade, which is why most late medieval swords used what is known as a chisel edge.

>What about european renaissance longswords/two-handerd used to counter pike formations like the swiss square or the tercios?
Describe for me the method by which a dude with a sword walks into a forest of pikes without dying horribly.

>2018-2+1
>using a sword for anything
>not just keeping a wrench and a revolver in your car

The Norse used their one handed axes for both reasons.
Anything from hand to hand combat, ranged combat and normal tasks at home/around camp.
The axe that Swedish axe makers Gränsfors Bruk makes (Svensk viking yxa) was made with the template of an actual archaeological find. The axe head had a design for for all uses.

Japanese medieval warfare consisted primarily of daimyo's duelling eachother to death in preset, honorable situations. Lack of competition is the death of innovation.

Guys I just got caught trying on my mom's clothes so I could make a funny swordfighting pic. What the fuck do I tell her?

Came here to say this. Polearms were absolutely the main weapon of most frontline infantry, both European and Asian. Longer range, better defense, and much more adaptable to different situations than a simple blade could ever hope for. Swords were a secondary weapon at best.

Tell her you wanna fuck her and film it for Efukt as a comedy gag. She'll understand.

Two handed swords are super cool, but at least according to a quick google, were mostly used in bodyguard roles.

And then Portuguese flintlocks showed up and pike and shot ruined everything.

>I read somewhere that the best way for get anything decent for sword craft was to smelt down sand and get the iron that way.
Admittedly I'm not a materials science expert, but that sounds like bullshit. The majority of most sand is just crushed bits of rock.

That's exactly what zweihanders were for; disabling the polearms, chopping them off and carving a way into the formation.