/daily/ - Consume Mao Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time. This community is so inclusive that even communists and fascists coexist!

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>templates/listenalong schedules
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/

>>discord
discord.gg/8exuEmG

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/yarn/yarn-1/
rateyourmusic.com/~Accelerando_
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

KMH

ha ha avatarfagging

I am requesting reccs to supply a tourney of my own

16 entrants, album length can be anything unless I realize you memed me

im tired as fuck
>Ween - Pure Guava
Yknow, when Mourning Glory came on, the sound of this album kinda clicked for me. It's a total satire and deconstruction of music of the time (a la Zappa), except to me this is much more extreme than God Ween Satan. So when I say Mourning Glory is the summary of the album, I mean that it's the peak of how ridiculous and noisy it gets. No song ever gets that noisy, but they certainly get that over the top. The whole album has this sort of druggy, hazy feel to me, amplified by distorted guitars, wacky vocal effects, and other comical noises, sounds, and lyrics. But then songs like Don't Get 2 Close (2 My Fantasy) come along, which show the best side of Ween, the side that makes The Mollusk so good for me: the funny, psychedelic pop tunes with heavy satirical undertones. The avant-garde and the pop parody are two things that Zappa and Ween have in common, and while Ween may not be able to do avant-garde as well as Zappa can, they can certainly do pop just as well. I think this will grow on me with more listens, but I still have to digest for now.
3.0+

>Otomo Yoshihide's New Jazz Ensemble - Dreams
Oh, Otomo. Only you could make some of the most freaky, cryptic, noisy tape music and onkyo out there, and then turn around and make a (mostly) soothing, cloudy, beautiful jazz album. Something about the vocals is so freakin cute, it reminds me of Midori in a way. The jazz itself is very quirky, to attempt to describe it with a word. It's clearly avant garde, but it never gets too harsh or weird until the last 10 minutes. Until then, its kinda weird, but still cozy. In the last 10 minutes, Yoshihide adds his finishing touches. Sine waves and banging drums swallow the whole track, and suddenly, every instrument breaks out into a free jazz craze. It's awesome. I love this album, and I need to dig into Yoshihide more
4.0-

otomo yoshihide - dreams

Islaja - Ulual YYY

what nexxxxxtttttt

how come this general has over 200 tripfags and they all manage to have the same exact taste

All Natural Lemon & Lime Flavors - Turning Into Small

do you have an rym

Boards of canada, but listen to geogaddi instead

We feed off each other

you mean no taste

Minutemen - double nickels on the dime

Sup Forums has 1000 anons and they all have the same taste
the United States have million people and they all have the same taste

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/yarn/yarn-1/

I have this bad boy in FLAC if you can't find it

Aksak Maboul

albums get meme'd and recommended it makes more sense than everyone having different taste

Opps yeah

rateyourmusic.com/~Accelerando_

is this show
good

sweet trip - velocity: design: comfort

ping pong is my favorite animu its amazing

hmm, let's try
Placebo - Meds
if heard: Kindling - No Generation

Causa Sui - Summer Sessions Vol. 3

Andrew Poppy - The Beating of Wings

post yfw you realize The Fishmans are just the japanese dubbed version of the Beatles

Shit comparison, the Beatles aren't jazz

brave little abacus - masked dancers

I hath returned

>Hot Takes General

Damn. is a damn good album haha

Four Tops best soul group confirmed

Trent Reznor is ass

Fuck Le Pen, lets go melenchon

neither are the Fishmans :^)

>Fuck Le Pen, lets go melenchon
Just vomited in my friggen mouth.

this is DOPE my guy
>fishmans arent jazz
this guy

It's not my favorite but it's top 10 for sure

Masaaki Yuasa is a god. I don't think he's capable of creating something that I don't like.

You've obviously not heard their live arrangements dude.

Cukor Byla Smert - Manyrna Muzyka

Toldya

>fishmans aren't jazz

Hermann Nitsch - Das 6-Tage-Spiel des Orgien Mysterien Theaters

so since their live albums are reminiscent of jazz, the entirety of Fishmans is jazz as well?

6 spots left, thanks daily denizens

was actually the first anime I watched through, since it was all free on youtube. The animation can get rough and downright ugly, but it was a very satisfying series to watch (12 episode? 13?)

>mfw

certainly their live performances rival those of any great jazz band

Well they are a jazz band at that point, so yes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz

>Arthur Doyle - Live in Japan Doing the Breakdown
What the fuck did i just listen
5+/10

Fight me cucklad

Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise

Also it's not the animation that's rough, it's the artstyle. The animation is fluid as fuck.

yeah the motion is amazing. the artstyle really grew on me too, maybe because i had developed such an attachment to the show at that point.

Dude do Bob James next

idk did it have xicc weeb breakdowns

Hi everybody. Back to reviewing in 2017 I guess. Are you wondering how self-aware Mac DeMarco is on the Lou Reed to Father John Misty spectrum ?

Does LA smell bad enough for you, one reporter asked Mac at his home in sunny Calalalabasafrass. Big change from queens, Now even his gray taste buds could taste the tacos
No, Mac replied with no particular enchantment, with the song “Baby you’re out,”
“But now it does.”

I don’t know if Mac demarco broke up with his girlfriend. My assumption is no, because thes songs are not credible break-up songs. Mac demarco traded his chorus pedal guitars for synthesizers, maybe that’s the break up he’s talking about. I wouldn’t be surprised because he sings “for the first time,” right before the chorus pedal finally gets used on the basic, pretty “One Another.” The chorus pedal is the eternal Mac attack.

Not rock

Yet mac manages to make this a mediocre album because his production is still really good and the sounds his instruments have are not objectionable, particularly on “Dreams from Yesterday,” with its tidal chorus lead, and “on the Level,” a track about being on the level. At this point I think you’re supposed to interpret macdemarco songs as Feelings. The only lyrics that really matter are the chorus lyrics. The verses are just mac muttering pastiche romance garbage over a bouncy bass and some kind of blurry chordal accompaniment.

Disappointment? Yes. Mac DeMarco released a better album in 2 and I even liked the spare Another One more than this . Is it a sack of shit? No. This guy will never be a top tier artist but right now hes making hundos. I give this release one star for porch music, for when your systems bass isnt good enough to play Fleetwood mac correctly

What next?

now this i can agree with

gdmmit you're right

I actually liked the artstyle from the start for how the character designs were in state of flux cus of how messy it looked, idk I watched it 3 years ago

I can't even fucking read this

Do you call this writing

Melt Yourself Down - s/t

Get your eyesight checked, i made it the same size font as the other posts,

are you satirizing the fishmans review guy

Maybe it is the fishmans review guy

Some of it is fine, some of it is confusing

I reckon I probably agree with your sentiments, if not the star rating
ha

What the fuck is fishmans lol

Someone give me another album to review

the post i replied to was actually funny though

Dopesmoker

Fishmans - Long Season

fishmans - long season

Fishmans - Long Season

Solid post

Review Fugazi the EP

fishmans - long season

YEAH LEMME GET UUUUUUUUH...GOOD REVIEW

REVIEW MACHINE BROKE

SHID

>Melt Yourself Down - Melt Yourself Down
High energy, soulful, fucking jams. Hell flippin yeah. Idk what else I can say but that I REALLY enjoyed this. If you don't like music made after 2010 stay away. Otherwise would highly rec.

>Pylon - Gyrate
"Weather Radio" and "Precaution" kinda stunk, but otherwise, it's a golden-era post-punk album. What do you want me to do? NOT like it? Lol.

>Ogre You Asshole - Ogre You Asshole
Japanese Modest Mouse. Seriously. Listen to カポ (kapo) and try to tell me these guys didn't bump to "This Is a Long Drive" several hundred times in their life. This will for sure run the gambit of "It's like MM...but not as good!" but I think it's different enough to hold it's own, influences apparent or not. I really also enjoyed the tangible post-punk influences, not something I see done well in the modern world. A really unique album I'd highly rec if you consider yourself a fan of Modest Mouse, and want something that captures the flair of their earlier stuff.

>Mew - Frengers
Sure is pretty neat for an "indie pop" record. After the first three tracks I was fucking set for this to be one of the best pop albums I've ever heard. Seriously, "Am I Wry? No" and "Snow Brigade" are two of the best songs I've heard from the genre. So much tangible passion and energy goes into them that it's hard not to jam out. Unfortunately, there's a pretty big quality dip in the middle of the album. Tracks 4-7 starkly contrast the amazing first three songs' quality. At least the closer is fantastic too.

>Sebadoh - Bakesale
A surprisingly good Dinosaur Jr. side-project from Lou Barlow. Follows the You're Living All Over Me tradition of being extremely top-heavy, but has plenty of enjoyable tracks like "
Not Too Amused" and "Careful". Can't see many getting much enjoyment out of this unless you're a pretty big Dino Jr. fan, but pretty good for what it is.

1/3

Fishmans - 98.12.28

long season by the fishmans

>Boris With Merzbow - Klatter
A pretty good release + Merzbow ads a lot of dimension to a lot of these songs, but I find it just a tad unnecessary. "Akuma no Uta" is great, but the one that already existed not only had better recording, but was just a better song in general. In fact, "Jane" is probably the only song here I find that actually matters. I think it's a tad bombastic, but it fits the album as a whole. A decent addition to these guys' catalog, but Merzbow and Boris have made better stuff.

>Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle
Kind of wishy-washy for a modern singer/songwriter album, and I wouldn't in the right mind really rec this to anyone here. In fact, the only reason I really think I enjoyed this as much as I did was because I really have a soft spot for country timbres, and this was filled to the brim with that twang. Brings me to my happy place, but it isn't that amazing.

>Harold Budd, Elizabeth Fraser, Robin Guthrie & Simon Raymonde - The Moon and the Melodies
If you can even call this a Cocteau Twins release, it's probably the worst one other than Milk & Kisses. Really surprised me how bad this album got, as the opener, "Sea, Swallow Me", was fantastic. "Eyes Are Mosaics" also had some nice moments, but otherwise this was extremely forgettable. "Ambient Pop" is a great descriptor when it's just super empty, forgettable pop music. If you're getting into the band, feel free to skip this one with extreme prejudice.

2/3

The Longest Season by Shinji and His Fish Men

fix that join bih

>Harold Budd / Brian Eno - The Pearl
One of Eno's worst and Budd's best. I constantly hold the notion that every time Eno collaborated with Budd, Eno was being held back. This ambiance is so forgettable and innefective that's it's crazy to think I enjoyed this as much as I did. I think it's still very bad, but tracks like "Foreshadowed" and "Against the Sky" I found to be pretty damn great. Still, I found the textures in this not really serving to the overall pieces. Eno makes better ambient music by making use of space, and I found this far too busy to be a successful ambient album.

>Cordelia's Dad - s/t
Apparently one of the top 10 albums ever made according to the first known avant-teen ever, ~sellmeagod. However, this is just a collection of country standards done in an alt-rock format. I liked Scarborough Fair, almost, but literally every song on this album has been done better half a decade ago. This album is worthless and bad.

What next?

fishmans - long season

fishmans - long season

windy and carl and that russian album

Get on that Alopecia jawn

goddamn it I uploaded an old version

why can't i do anything right

i should just DIE

okay review coming up

ok this is seriously freaky. never heard of this album before but when i browse on to the band's wikipedia page the album's hyperlink is purple

Is there any way to check when you've visited a page before in your internet history?

is that Jacques Brel I see there with the 9

Ctrl-£

Listen to ABBA you duck

heck flipping yes

aye it's coming (and so am I ;))

Did you get to the part about /daily/?

Tomita - Snowflakes Are Dancing

/daily/ is just a continual competition to see who has the worst taste. It's unclear who the current winner is

>A surprisingly good Dinosaur Jr. side-project from Lou Barlow

This has been on my log for ages but I had no idea that's what it was. Checking that out ASAP

I will personally send you an electronic blowie

tfw have so many meme ideas but not the skill to make them

>Fushitsusha with Peter Brotzmann - Pouring The Tea You Are Bound To Suddenly Shout Out Something Ancient And Empty That Causes Your Guests To Become Uncomfortable And Leave

It’s a three hour live concert of… well it’s Peter Brotzmann and Keiji Haino doing what they do best, what did you expect? If you like these guys, you know exactly what you’re in for and boy do they fucking deliver. I would have killed to be at this concert. It’s worth praising that for three hours, this is an incredibly varied and interesting performance. Haino brings out some real bluesy shit at some point which I did not expect. There are moments of pure chaos and clarity spread out well between what I suppose could be called intermissions of noise. These moments of clarity are perfect 10/10 moments that are unfortunately bookended by some weaker, blander stuff, which is hard to really hold up as a major criticism due to the nature of the performance. Peter Brotzmann is in top form. I’d say all of his sax playing is perfect from his virtuosic solos to his abrasive skronks, even though he doesn’t come in for the first hour. The one I find the most problem with here is actually Keiji Haino. Some of his vocal performances were surprisingly bad and did not fit the music like it normally does. Overall, this is a fantastic live album and must be heard by anyone with a passing interest in Haino or Brotzmann. The moment of silence before Brotzmann takes to the stage and the utter silence during his solos, followed by the incredible vocal improv chanting by the band about halfway through the second “track” is more or less the peak of music in general.

(1/2)

Um did someone say FISHMANS???

>Fishmans - Chappie Don’t Cry
>post-bop, grindcore, spermwave

Y’know this isn’t AS bad as I thought it was going to be. Maybe I’m a sucker for dub. It’s hard to fuck up really. The formula is simple but effective. However, there are some serious stinkers on here when the band tries to venture outside of dub and experiment (I use this term very loosely) with other genres. If anything, this makes me view their later material in a more positive light, because they clearly have grown as pop songwriters. Some of this shit is borderline offensively bland, like I’m listening to some no name j-rock group. But again, the overall experience is improved by some chill, easy-going dub, and the vocal performances are unique enough to keep me slightly engaged with what I’m hearing. It’s inoffensive at best and offensive at worst. If I were to listen to it again, I’d be skipping about half the album.

have you listened to fishmans - long season yet

Ok, joke's over, everyone shut the FRiCK up about fishmans

Fishmans - Long Season

ismfof

here's a fun game
1 pig vs 1 fish who wins battle

you need to relax and listen to some fishmans - long season

no is it good?

pig drown

ain't gonna happen bud

me

i totally agree, people super underrate that album based on their other stuff.

Awesome how you're going through their stuff semi-chronologically. Can't wait for your later opinions of them.

wheres my long season review

Yeah I like the chronological experience. I normally didn't care until Unwound changed my mind with Leaves Turn.

Type of pig and type of fish?

jk
the pig
duh

come down here and get me landlubber

I'm pretty sure you've been doing this chart since I joined /daily/