Schizo here

schizo here.

can any psychfags tell me what this shit (abilify maintena monthly 400mg injection) actually does to my brain and body? I get mildly fucked up for a few days after my injection.

image relate

Other urls found in this thread:

truthcontest.com/
jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/185157
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its an ssri
its a shitty one at that
expect brain zaps and numb dick

i know at lower doses its used to treat bipolar

i think at higher doses like the one youre on its for schizo

side effects are not going to be good though.

what it does is increase dopamine responsivity for certain receptors... so it should reduce positive symptoms (hallucinations, delusions, paranoia). but no effect no negative symptoms (cognitive slowness, dullness, etc.)

wrong, aripriprazole is D2 agonist. Not ssri.

Thank you.

schizoaffective fag here i've been on abilify. it's gonna downregulate your dopamine system to help with your positive symptoms and also should help with depression. i've been on dozens of these meds but never injection. they must really not trust you to take your meds, huh?

we are the products of 4.5 billion years of evolution on a 4.5 billion year old planet in a 13.4 billion year old universe in INFINITE space. Doctor told me I had psychosis. Turns out the world is actually just really primitive and it calls people like us "crazy" and decides to medicate us

If you put TRUTH above all else, you will cure your own schizo

Just dont use degenerate drugs like weed, lsd, etc and you should be fine

truthcontest.com/

I remember when I was having trouble focusing in school, went to doctor, prescribed me Zoloft. Brain zaps 500 times per day. "Doctor, my brain feels like it's being electrocuted constantly", "user, I don't know what you're talking about"

Go to google, on my phone, in front of him, type "Zoloft brain zaps", hundreds of thousands of articles. "What do you mean you don't know what I'm talking about, you are supposed to know of all side effects of medications you prescribe, right?"

Stopped taking that shit

The injection is supposed to be slow release, since it will diffuse through fat/muscle into your system.

So of course it will have stronger effect right after injection. Especially if you work out (increases bloodflow to wherever it was injected)

that's the grandiose thinking of a schizo

They said it would be easier to just get the shot once a month.

Sorry man, but defective brain wiring and chemistry can't be fixed by sheer force of will.

>they must really not trust you to take your meds, huh?

I suspect some sort of legal angle on this. Court-ordered or some such thing.

Nah. The shot is $1870 a month. My insurance pays for it. They might be getting kickbacks, but I don't really care.

But no, it's not court ordered.

>They said it would be easier to just get the shot once a month.

I've been on Abilify (and several other antipsychotics over the years).

Never once was an injectable form even mentioned.

There's SOME reason you're getting that injection.

>13.4 billion year old universe

tin foil hats are an easy and cost effective way to keep out the alien messages

Probably because I attempted to commit suicide through overdosing on propranolol once, and seroquel once.

They knew my history, they just didn't mention it and instead said "ur getting the shot"

get ur life back on track and quit poisoning your body

Bro it makes you fat and get bitch tits, blocks testosterone. Also makes you more schizo, as your brain tries to counteract the drug (tolerance). Makes you generally blunted and lazy.

I seriously recommend you switch to pills and slowly wean off. Buy a pill splitter.

I'm bipolar and get psychotic when manic, and have schizo friends. Getting off the meds and managing your condition with regular exercis, healthy food and not smoking weed is the best way to stay out of the system.

>I say this from my heart as a fellow psych bro

>OD on propranolol + seroquel

wew lad mustve been a pretty crazy headache the next day

Nice

Yeah, I used to be 140 .lbs. I'm like 187 .lbs now.

Shit fucking blows. Been on this shit for 2 years.

Is there any other sort of antipsychotic that I can talk to my doc about?

Shit nigga, its profitable to drug you

just referred a patient to this one, Vraylar (cariprazine) is a new drug out on the block

>bitch tits

this is true, though far less likely than first gen antipsychotics (risperidone)

>Getting off the meds

There is some merit to what you say about exercise and diet, no question. Those things are part of the necessary elements to healthiness.

But you are not going to "eat and exercise" away schizophrenia.

Suggesting that someone with schizophrenia should bail on their meds is reckless advice, mate.

Also, you're attention to detail is superb. Right in the OP post, he mentions he's getting an injectable form. And it's in the damn pic, ffs.

Yet you talk about getting a pill splitter and weaning off.

Sheesh.

Latuda is metabolically neutral, i.e. no weight gain. It's pricey af though, and not all insurance plans will cover it. Do ask about it though. Probably the cleanest antipsychotic on the market.

>it's one of those he's in a manic episode episodes

I'll talk to my psych about Vraylar next month.

Thank you, you are the hero this thread needed.

It's a D2 partial agonist. Full D2 agonists are used to treat Parkinsonism.

I don't think switching meds will help, and its a dodgy time because its hard to predict equivalent doses etc, even small changes can send you around the bend

It should be easy to convince them you hate shots and would prefer a pill

Everyone in this world is no smarter than you.

Latuda as well.

Thank you.

meant to reply to this:try Carbamazepine, fewer metabolic syndrome side effects

I'm skitzo I just take my olanzapine 30mg daily.. works fine. keeps me mellow

Whoever called that nigger fag out for telling someone to get off meds. I love you.

>Also, you're attention to detail is superb.

Well, the laugh is on me, I guess. Right in the sentence talking about attention to detail, I fuck up the grammar.

"you're" should have been "your".

Facepalm.

>D2 partial agonist

oh yeah my bad. full agonist would have opposite effect, and would be bad for schizo.

Thanks, I'll write these the recommendations down and ask for my psychiatrists opinion.

Ura bitch.

If you care to look again, I mentioned switching to pills right before the pill splitter part.

Don't wanna argue

I have one question regarding to this post...

The abilify gives me akathisia (constant movement and shit)

My psychiatrist prescribed me Amantadine for that. It's an anti-parkinsons drug.

Is that bad?

why are you getting an injection instead of taking the pill?

do you have to go to a doctors office to get the injection?

In the psych ward I was in, that was nick-named the fat pill kek

Yeah, it's only once a month though.

A nurse at the agency I go to administers it.

As for why - because I've overdosed before on pills when I was a teenager.

So doc, I was talking to strangers on the internet and would like to take the following psychiatric medicines. . .

Hehe!

*I sought out the advice of other medical professionals on the internet, and they told me to inquire about the following medications

sounds a bit better.

>akathisia

Is this something different from tardive dyskinesia?

Read "The Myth of the Chemical Cure" by Joanna Moncrieff

and "Anatomy of an Epidemic" by Robert Whitaker

Docs cringe if you say 'internet' haha

Summary: so-called antipsychotics are probably decent treatments for acute crises, but they create long-term disability, both physical and mental

>amantadine with schizophrenia

yeah you might want to get a second opinion on that....
presuambly if the aripriprazole is working fully, it won't matter; however, amantadine does exacerbate psychosis in non-medicated individuals.

tardive is one kind of it

"anti-psychotics" do not act to correct the cause or even intervene on the pathology of bipolar or schizophrenia; they are essentially just sedatives that don't completely put you to sleep.

>tardive is one kind of it

I asked because I know that tardive can sometimes be irreversible. I'd surely be looking carefully into it if I experienced movement issues.

>myth of chemical cure

I haven't read the literature on antipsychotics, but I do know that SSRIs and antidepressants are practically useless for people with mild to moderate depression. It only has an effect for very severe depression, and so mildly/moderately depressed patients will suffer many unnecessary side effects

In fact there's some doubt that SSRIs outperform placebo at all, in any context. Publication bias for positive results is probably more than enough to explain the apparent effect in the literature.

yeah you should be careful, because it can come up

tardive literally means "late" as in "tard" (latin/french etymology). So tardive dyskinesia means late-onset dyskinesia (dyskinesia means problems with momement, balance, etc.).

you can overdose on abilify?!

Also, there is no evidence at all the depression is the result of a serotonin deficiency. Depressed people do not have less of it than normal people. That story of a "chemical imbalance" is entirely reverse-engineered from how the drugs are supposed to work.

>SSRIs worse than placebo
this may be true, irving kirsch pushes this argument

a more reasonable (and more data supporting it) is that SSRIs barely have an effect until very severe depression (pic related):

jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/185157

>brain zaps
Holy fucking shit. I've been dealing with these, on and off, for almost a decade and I never knew what they were called. For the first few years I thought I had a brain tumor or an aneurysm or something like that. I eventually got a brain scan and it didn't show any abnormalities.

I'd never heard this term before and after I started reading about it, I realized it was exactly what I've been dealing with. I have extreme anxiety issues and had no idea that stress could cause physical disturbances in the brain. Shit is painful.

I wanna give you fucking hug for mentioning it, m8. Damn, after all these years...

I understand it's pretty rare with curent antipsychotics, but it can happen.

In fact, my psych had a patient who he prescribed Abilify, and they got zapped by it. Freaked my psych right out. He wouldn't prescribe Abilify to anyone else for months and months. Understandable!

Can confirm brain zaps on abilify but it is not an SSRI, it's an "antipsychotic"

Just posting this to possibly help anyone who sees it.

I was in a hospital after i had a bit of a freak out. They put me on abilify. I had paranoia and anxiety to the max after that for months. Then they jacked up my dose so that I had no energy at all and they put me on some parkinsons stuff too (like the other user).

Anyways, I had never had anxiety and paranoia like that before. It was the abilify that caused it. I stopped taking it

fuck this drug and the system that wants to rope you in then suck dollars out of you/your insurance

>after a bit of freak out

what kind of freak out was it? like panic attack? (thinking you were choking and couldn't breathe?)
or was it hallucinations, paranoia, delusions, etc.

cause if it was a panic attack, then you should definitely get off the antipsychotics.

I'm not OP, btw.

I'm so glad I opened this thread, as the brain zaps have only served to increase my anxiety levels even more.

I'm already off them. Don't worry about the freak out.

Even a small publication bias is enough to tip the scales, and there's plenty of evidence that industry-funded studied are not published unless positive.

I gave up after 2 years of SSRI's, benzos and quetapine at high doses
I stopped taking all of them and one month later I literally feel no difference other than my elevated libido
I'm starting to think almost all drugs are just placebo

Ugh, this shit reminds me of my ex who had schizophrenia. She was totally dependent on her rich father and had no ability to be self-sufficient, but somehow she thought she had everything figured out.

To the shrinks in the thread: while I don't have schizo, I have dysthymia and recurrent major depressive episodes (not to mention other things) - and antidepressants typically wear off for me after about a year and a half. Any suggestions, e.g. ECT or TMS?

Not a psych, but a patient, who also struggles with recurrent depression.

ECT was suggested by a hospital psych, but I talked my regular psych about it, and he said that yes, it can be effective in cases where medication fails, but the effects are somewhat short-term. You end up having to go back and get another round of ECT treatment. And another. And another.

Don't know another about TMS.