Why is he seen as an amazing singer again? He's obviously not a bad one...

Why is he seen as an amazing singer again? He's obviously not a bad one, but I really don't understand him frequently being labeled as the greatest rock singer of all time.

>inb4 "here's the thing about Freddie"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YNFOuFzFsZE
youtube.com/watch?v=uMQb9LCNGxs
youtube.com/watch?v=5fk0Y6Lu_uA
youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM
youtube.com/watch?v=232naAvYiGY
youtube.com/watch?v=kE8kGMfXaFU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because he's objectively one of the greatest rock singers of all time, since his vocal range is massive and because everybody loves queen.

Do you not have ears?

rock is inherenty shit. listen to hindustani classical , balkan or mongolian folk if you like good singing....

I dont like queen that much but holy fuck have you even heard them?

nigga you try that shit

He used to be an Opera singer

4 octaves

I grew up listening to him so obviously nostalgia plays a large factor in how much I love his voice.

I have only been studying voice seriously for a short time but I've been singing for the better part of 5 years now.

All I can say is that as I develop a better ear for the art of singing I continue to be blown away by his sound. Few could belt out high notes with that much control, clarity and power. I understand he had the help of professional studio engineering but still singers today with better equipment still fail to have the same powerful clear tone that he obviously had naturally.

Voice is a very objective thing to rate. But his is one of the few that seems to be generally accepted as amazing by the majority of people. Obvious exceptions exist.

fantastic phrasing
ridiculous range
unparalleled stage presence and showmanship
excellent songwriter

all combined with the virtuoso musicianship of May, Taylor, and Deacon

Watching their live performances still leaves me in awe, the way he works the crowd.
As Henry Rollins once commented, their Live Aid performance was 'like a Nuremberg rally with a band.'
youtube.com/watch?v=YNFOuFzFsZE

Born Farrokh Bulsara
5 September 1946
Stone Town, Sultanate of Zanzibar (now Tanzania)

Here's the thing about Freddie. The man had some serious pipes. He had a 4 octave range and he excelled in any octave. He wrote brilliant songs. And his stage presence was only matched by Adolf Hitler. Seriously, watch them play Radio Gaga at Live Aid and then watch a video of the Nuremburg rallies. We had better thank our lucky stars Freddie didn't go into politics or he would have taken over the world. But Queen as a whole had a brilliant dynamic. It wasn't just the Freddie Mercury backup band. They all made huge creative contributions to what made Queen what it is. Yes, Freddie wrore Somebody to Love, Killer Queen, and Bohemian Rhapsody, but Brian May wrote We Will Rock You, Save Me, and Fat Bottom Girls, John Deacon wrote I Want to Break Free, Another One Bites the Dust, and You're my Best Friend, and Roger Taylor wrote Radio Gaga and It's a Kind of Magic. Other bands like Nirvana for instance were not like that. Nirvana was basically just the Kurt Cobain backup band. Queen was this perfect storm of legendary talent, and Freddie was the face of it all, the delicious cherry on top of an already delicious sundae. He was the ambassador that allowed the amazing talent of combo that was Queen to be brought into our lives. He was the prism that focused the lazer beams from the brains of Roger, Brian, and John, and amplified them until they were powerful enough to blow our minds out through our ear holes. Yes, he was the most incredible front man who ever lived, hands down.

Where did this come from

I don't know what kind of reaction this tries to invoke.

Have you heard him sing? He has so much control of his voice, it's uncanny. But apparently you don't play an instrument.

What everyone else said and I want to add he had such a unique, distinctive voice that was instantly recognizable as being him. Same with Brian May: distinctive guitar sound.

youtube.com/watch?v=uMQb9LCNGxs

Yeah I don't even like Queen that much but he really did have an excellent voice. Would have been amazing if their music was better.

Was anybody else surprised when they saw what Freddie looked like for the first time? For some reason I pictured him as a lanky blonde guy.

youtube.com/watch?v=5fk0Y6Lu_uA

This sounds like an opinion of somebody who has only heard Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, and We Are the Champions a million times.

youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM

I wish the music was better, too.

I do like this song though.
youtube.com/watch?v=232naAvYiGY

doesn't
axl have like 5 octaves?

Why does no one ever talk about '39 by queen? Its very good I think
youtube.com/watch?v=kE8kGMfXaFU