Anyone else unironically think Nick Drake and Tim Buckley were better than Bob Dylan and other meme folk artists?

Anyone else unironically think Nick Drake and Tim Buckley were better than Bob Dylan and other meme folk artists?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/152244963
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yeah

deffo
does anyone other than dads think otherwise?

>Dylan
>meme folk
you need to be BLONDED

I'm open to conversion but the stuff I've heard so far just doesn't move me emotionally like Drake or Buckley.

Nick Drake had a better sense of aesthetic. Bob Dylan is the better pure songwriter.

Blood On The Tracks
Go listen to it my dude

Drake and Buckley have the benefit of having a smaller discography due to their early deaths. Still, even within the confines of singer/songwriter or folk, they were all very different. Bob Dylan's lyrics were pretty groundbreaking for the time and are still a high water mark for lyricists. Nick Drake was a great guitarist influenced by the folk baroque style and his singing style and the melancholic/depressive nature set him apart and helped with his relevance. Tim Buckley was influenced by tons of stuff outside folk like jazz and funk, not to mention the power of his voice or the experimental tracks on Lorca and Starsailor.

Basically it's kind of hard to compare artists by the same standards.

>Bob Dylan is the better pure songwriter.
doubt it, almost every single one of Nick songs are absolute gold. I'll give him another shot though

Nick Drake and Tim Buckley are what happen when two people classically trained in music approach contemporary genres.

>Nick Drake
>classically trained
uhhh

Neither Nick or Tim were classically trained. They probably studied theory or whatever on their own time, but I think they were mostly self taught.

Tim Buckley, yes.

Nick Drake, no. Dude was a hack.

>Nick Drake, no. Dude was a hack.
how?

Nick Drake was taught piano and songwriting at a young age from his mother.
You're right about Buckley, actually. Turns out he wasn't trained. He was writing songs at age 13, though.
Yikes

not sure you have the right attitude for this but godspeed nonetheless

No one would give a shit about Drake's whiney wispy shit if he didn't kill himself. It's amazing what suicide does for your legacy

>Nick Drake was taught piano and songwriting at a young age from his mother

I don't really know that much about Molly, but was she classically trained?

Better than the folk music Dylan wrote or better than everything Dylan made? Regardless of what you meant you're incorrect and the world agrees

fame is like fruit tree

no. have you even listened to dylan? are you still in high school? jesus christ.

Has anyone ever made a Nick Drake or Tim Buckley version of this?

It's just two very different kinds of songwriting. Just like how Emily Dickinson and T.S. Eliot are both good, but in very different ways. Dylan back in those days was known for his impersonal songwriting—he was seen as an oracle who would tell you how things really were in the grand scheme. Drake's more about finding meaning in personal experiences.

It's like comparing the Sistine Chapel and Whistler's Mother. Both good, both groundbreaking, but in different ways.

*blocks your path*

Try playing Hazey Jane I on guitar. Dude had fucking crazy fingers.

>tfw just learned that song today

>crazy fingers

>get wasted
>reinvent blues guitar

He lived the life.

>molested and raped as a child

By a woman? Was she hot?

No, by his daddy. In his autobiography there is a really fucked up passage about it.

Well, that stinks

Fahey is closer to Appalachian folk than blues.

>meme folk?
If you actually think this is a valid artistic critique you need to stab yourself in the fucking face

Bob just can't be compared to those guys.
Nick Drake is great and all, transcendental at parts even.

But what Bob does on Don't Think Twice It's Alright, Hard Rain, It's Alright Ma, Tambourine Man, Visions of Johanna, Desolation Row, and even later stuff like Man in Me, If Not For You, Tempest, Time out of Mind, holy shit just wait until you get your guts ripped out and see if Nick Drake and Buckley will even come close to the friend that is Blood on The Tracks.

It's just not fair

That alternative version of You're a Big Girl Now gets me down more than any
vimeo.com/152244963

blood on the tracks is great but starsailor blows it (and everything else dylan has done) out of the water

(and seriously - tambourine man? come on)

the nyc sessions are goat my man

>hear me singing through these tears ;_;

just stuff like this jesus

I mean i didn't get Dylan when all I knew was like Bringing it All Back Home, H61R, and Freewheelin' +assorted singles.

Then I got and my life changed. I've read of countless others having the same experience. Listen to Blonde on Blonde like that artsy farsty album it is and then the electric mercury sting will get ya and his whole discography will start to make sense, H61 won't sound like boring ass rock shit anymore it becomes a majestic powerful prowling sprawling fucking miracle of music.

I'm not talking about "art" of the album and song, aesthetics really at all. What I'm saying is if your heart is fucked up you're really gonna have an impossibly tough time finding anything that is as sincere and coherent about all the abstract feelings of all sorts of romances and relationships.

Tambourine man has great lyrics man.

Blonde on Blonde stands on its' own, I think it's better than Lorca and Starsailor but hey, when you get to albums THIS good it really does become too subjective.

Blonde On Blonde is the poor man HW61

you seem too cool of a dude to argue with so i'll agree to disagree

Objectively wrong. They're close in quality but very different in subject and sound

Not him but you;'re a fucking idiot if you think Drake and whoever could come up with lyrics of the caliber of Dylan

Fuck you

>subject
How so?
>sound
It's the same sound. Are you deaf?

yep

Highway 61 is a social commentary and blonde on blonde is more about emotion and love. Highway 61 has pointed songs and blonde on blonde has smooth "mercury" songs

>Highway 61 is a social commentary and blonde on blonde is more about emotion and love.
Wrong, they are both about both. You must not have been paying attention
>Highway 61 has pointed songs and blonde on blonde has smooth "mercury" songs
What do you mean "pointed" and "mercury"? Please use objective terms.

Im aware they both involve both subjects but generally the focus of blonde on blonde is experienced with women, while highway 61 is more an analysis of society. By pointy I mean the sharpness of the instruments. Ballad of a thin man, desolation row, highway 61, tombstone blues, just like tom thumbs blues.. they all seem to jump from note to note, line to line. Almost every song on blonde on blonde are silkier sounding. Listen to stuck inside of mobile and compare that to the stuff on HW61. It's just smooth idk how else to explain this shit

Shit i forgot Tombstone blues which is probably the biggest contrast

>generally the focus of blonde on blonde is experienced with women
Like Rainy Day Women?
>while highway 61 is more an analysis of society.
Like Like a Rolling Stone?

No they're both about both
>By pointy I mean the sharpness of the instruments
>Almost every song on blonde on blonde are silkier sounding.
That's both albums. You are probably listening to the modern remixes and don't even know.

'honestly even dylan calls it the wild mercury sound and i dont know much about music ill be honest, but for some reason maybe sound design or something it sounds like "wild mercury" just the shinyness of songs like I want you, one of us must know, rainy day women, johanna, sad eyed lady, 4th time around, mobile blues you know

The only song with the wild mercury that's not on that album is Desolation Row coincidentally.

>It's just smooth idk how else to explain this shit
You made the claim it's an objective fact, so you better find a way to prove it you fucktard
>i dont know much about music ill be honest
Sounds like you should fuck off then faggot

> one song off each album
> not understanding what generally means. The focus is clearly not the same on the albums.
>"The closest I ever got to the sound I hear in my mind was on individual bands in the Blonde on Blonde album. It's that thin, that wild mercury sound. It's metallic and bright gold, with whatever that conjures up."
From the man himself.

Kys faggot

>whatever that conjures up
Not an objective analysis

Try again or fuck off

now do you know much? Tell me why the keys and progressions of the songs, where the certain timbres come from that make it sound that way?

I understand you're trying to have a logical argument about this but honestly it's not possible. There are more love songs on Blonde on Blonde, the albums soul has more to do with romantic songs. Highway 61 has 9 songs half or less give or take are about political and social commentary.

you need to get off your high horse you're arguing about nothing. have you EVEN HEARD these albums??

This guy gets it.
Not real hard simpleton

>Tell me why the keys and progressions of the songs, where the certain timbres come from that make it sound that way
OK, which songs, specifically? I'll chart them out for you
>I understand you're trying to have a logical argument about this but honestly it's not possible.
Except you were the one that claimed it was objectively wrong, not I. You misspoke then?
>There are more love songs on Blonde on Blonde
There are not.
>the albums soul
How is soul measurable?
>Highway 61 has 9 songs half or less give or take are about political and social commentary.
Not really. Or you can't count.

btw
that whole conjures up part the last poster posted

if you didn't know because it's obvious you attributed that to the poster that is an infamous quote, which if you actually read you'd know came from BOB FUCKING DYLAN you retarded shit

Explain, in objective, musical terms, what a mercury sound is.

If you cannot, it is not a valid argument, no matter who said it.

Also remember what you know of as "Bob Dylan" is a created character, and the actual Bob Dylan only wrote one singular authentic song in his true voice.

I doubt you even know what song that is.

who gives a fuck dude.

objectivity jesus christ this a music board.

it sounds like wild mercury the same way kid a sounds like swirly darkness and stars and the same way astral weeks is like a walk through the garden of eden and the same way the velvet underground, is this it, and television stink like new york city.

that's all it fuckin means dumbass. The fuckin mix is twangy as fuck the frequencies and shit, the bass on the album isn't like trap deep hitting shit, it sounds like mallets on sheepskin,.

You play e a d, you know what, the way you embelish it and the timbre, style, rhythm lyrics, mixing get you the wild mercury i know that. Bob dylans voice is like sand and glue per David Bowie, it's this golden thing.

and i dont give a fuck because i like all dylans songs no matter what "character" wrote them you autistic shithead

>gets REKT
>o-oh who gives a f-fuck d-dude
Nah

Now one knows what a "mercury sound", Dylan didn't mean it, it was a character to fuck with people like you.

>astral weeks is like a walk through the garden of eden
More like a walk through the garden of boring

tim buckley is pure meme folk

Drake and Buckley are mere singer-songwriters (and failed ones at that); Dylan is a seer-poet. Drake and Buckley struggled to find an audience for their music; Dylan lifted the entire landscape of popular music.

you didnt "rekt" anyone you dumb fuck.
you just proved youre a fuckin asshole.

if i say i feel like a fuckin grasshopper how are you gonna objectively disprove that you stupid piece of shit.

>ctrf+f cohen
>not found

rec my an album fampai

the other dirty jew songwriter vol 2

songs of leonard cohen

at least this one isn't a hack

The Songs trilogy and New Skin are his only albums worth heeding. Cohen being a better lyricist than Dylan is the biggest meme in music.

nick drake was 100x more meme folk than buckley

drake was just bland, he wasn't up his ass

no. Kill yourself for thinking dylan is a meme.

Also tim buckley is better then drake

>drake was just bland

>virign
>thinks he can write music

at least dylan always had hella hos

Dylan , musicianship wasn't that great i think.

that's why so many artists cover him better than he sings, like with Jimi Hendrix.

lyrically , i think they are different.. that's whats beautiful in writing.

nick drake was to my opinion more personal poetic.

a lonely soul stuck with his pen boat,
in sea of words. no other man stand with him you see.
deep was the water, & shall always be remembered as
the dead man, that sacrificed himself courageously to the sea.