Ask your music and theory questions, get them answered, share ideas, learn how to get started on playing an instrument...

Ask your music and theory questions, get them answered, share ideas, learn how to get started on playing an instrument, learn what to do from your current skill, and whatever else.
Come in and stay a while,
I'm pretty all around with instruments in most styles but have a direct focus on Jazz, and many anons have joined in on the last few threads to share and answer as well,

Music Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GBNkOX2Jd5g&t=1m48s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ok, riddle me this:

youtube.com/watch?v=GBNkOX2Jd5g&t=1m48s

Cory Henry says "snap your fingers on the 2 and 4", but when everyone does it he "corrects" them and I swear to god he's clicking on the 1 and 3. What gives? Is he pulling my chain or is something unusual going on here

He fucked up.

There's no way he fucked up. He's Cory Henry, probably the most gifted organ player ever and one of the greatest jazz soloists around at the moment. Add to this the drummer at 1:56 hits the snare twice on those same beats that Cory does.

Either this is an unusual beat or he's playing with everyone.

Something unusual is going on there. I don't think
Is the culprit, but hell even I can't really tell. Unless he's fitting an odd metre into a Common feel, I'm not sure what's going on.

Learning guitar. In beggining stages. Got basic chords down and learning bar chords. How important is it to learn music theory? I know some people never learn it, will it make learning easier?

It'd definitely make learning easier, or at least much more understandable. Theory is a tool, it may not be needed but it'll make your music life easier by miles.

Can i really fuck up my guitar technique if i don't see a teacher, by imprinting wrong stuff in muscle memory?

Not OP, but the best way to learn theory (and chords) at this stage is just by learning songs. The high level theory shit that you have to study with dedication would be wasted right now. If you were learning a language, you would start with basic phrases and vocabulary before getting into past participle tenses and so on.

Yes. At the least you can try to self correct with popular youtube lesson uploaders. Look more for Jazz centered uploaders than rock, they'll usually have much more flexible and clearer techniques than others.

0 knowledge of music, have trouble reading music sheet and I won't take classes or go anywhere to learn it (because I lack time)

I want to improve my piano performance. I'm able to learn Chopin's "Tristesse" or any piano composition with similar level in 15-20 days, but I can achieve perfection with that piece in some months of practice. I want to improve my technique, because it must be really really bad; I want to learn how to compose too, or how to improvise. I've been playing piano without full dedication for 2 years, just whenever I feel like it.
I really want to improve at it, what is my current level, what is your advice? Thank you

Bear in mind that I can hardly read music sheet, so almost 70% of what I do is by ear, I wolud like to improve that also

Cory shows correct 2's and 4's. Now the drummer either switches accents on the tact before it or puts one 5/4 tact somewhere between.

Just some playful mindfucking of their listeners.

I'd get started by grabbing any easy piano book, a scale&arpeggio book, looking up note names, and starting from there in conjunction with basic piano technique videos on Youtube. Being between 5 and 12 minutes per technical concept, it's easy to fit into your schedule and check back to make sure you're hitting the keys in proper fashion.
The entire ordeal should cost between $10 and $30, not much considering you don't need to get anything else for a while.

In between it all, do some free improvisation, you'll learn what sounds good and what doesn't, and when you reach an intermediate level, in depth inprovisation could be more suited to you.

thank you

btw, how do I know when I reach intermediate level?

how hard would it be for a 25 year old to learn trumpet or saxophone ?

You'll be able to learn a song well within a week instead of months at a time.

I'd reccomend learning theory along practicing instrument.

It simplifies learning process A LOT because not only you know what and how to play, but also WHY.

This will pay off later at general playing, and will be necessary at improvisation and composing. So unless you rather to be an MP3 player instead of a musician you can't skip some theory.

The good news are that it's actually easy and self-explainatory. Almost everything follows logical patterns, whole deal is to learn those patterns.

Not very. Trumpet and saxophone are very easy to learn, just be sure to avoid common mistakes such as rolled in lips for trumpet and double embochure for saxophone.

within a week!

alright, that's well worth my time, thank you

Trying to do the bass tab from RHCP's Higher Ground, how do I hit the third string after slapping on the first note?

I'd say intermediate level is when you get pretty confident at your skills, and then at one point realise how bad you actually play. Just that major emotional breakdown in whole learning process.

Depends on your slap technique. If you're just doing standard thumb and anchor, it shouldn't be hard to hit it right after getting off the first note. Decrease the height you get off the string if that's an issue.

>using tab
use your ears dumb fuck

You're missing the point, since some songs are harder than others.

Actually intermediate player can learn most songs (usually except jazz / classical) in a matter of hours.

so advanced is when you are a god among men?
I've heard intermediate musicians who play better than professionals, it doesn't matter who's more skilled, but who understands better the piece and plays with emotion
Technique isn't everything

I'm going off their current playlist, which is rather advanced. So considering the amount of time it took me when I was in High school with piano as a secondary, I answered them.

Advanced is when you have a strongly capable balance of both elements. A technical player with no emotion is the same level as an emotional pedal machine with fairly weak technique.

I didn't mean only technique. I consider everything you point out as skills.

For me advanced is that level where you are legitimately confident, not just apparently. You can play with an orchestra, play major live gigs, become a session musician, record parts in a studio, generally do music professionally.

The "god among men" starts, when those "advanced" consider you as their mentor.

Whats a good instrument to start with?

Guitar, ukelele, alto saxophone, trumpet, piano.
These instruments have an easy start, but quite a difficult end game, and they can be entertaining to friends and family fairly soon after practicing and learning correctly.

violin or drums, they aren't challenging at all
stay away from flutes or such, blown instruments are quite difficult and require a lot of practice

learning drums is so easy you'll be advanced in almost a year

Thanks
Should I get lessons or just start playing?

shut up faggot

Lessons are always the best way, though peivate study with instructional videos can be good, but there's a ton of misleading tutorial videos up that teach the wrong techniques.
If you can, see about finding a college student willing to do $20-25/hr. Best choice is to find someone Jazz oriented and chill, as they'll commonly have a more fleshed out way of explaining and showing while not pressuring you with the expectations of classical tradition.

prove me otherwise

Chill out, my dude. Just because something is easy to learn doesn't mean it doesn't take skill, in fact, many easy to learn instruments are more difficult to reach a professional level with than harder to learn instruments.

Was that person asking about Coltrane Changes in the last thread in this current thread?
Probably not, but I thought of an easy way to explain the concept either way.

Piano is the most basic instrument, uses natural body position and it's easier to understand theory stuff on piano rather than on other instruments.

Guitar is also easy, since you learn basic patterns and chords easily and become a one man band quite quickly. Also it's a chick magnet.

Sax - technically a bit difficult, but once you get the general vibe it's suprisingly fast to learn. Also, a major chick magnet.

Drums - if you have good body coordination and sense of rhythm it's fine. Bonus points if you absolutely despise music theory and do anything not to have to learn it. Cons- dragging your instrument around is total pain in the butt.

Violin, trumpet - stay away, requires great ear and it takes months of practice just to achieve passable sound.

Bass - E E E E A A A A E E E E B B B B

Preferably both.

How do I come up with interesting key changes (say for a bridge in a song) that don't jar the listener and sound completely natural?

trane changes

Go to the relative major (if your A section is in minor) or relative minor (if your A is in Major).
Example, you've got a simple C: I Vi iii ii V I6 progression for your A, then the bridge you make it a: i VI iii iv iim7b5 V7b9 i.
For second endings (to go into your next section) just use a ii V in your target key. (bm7b5 E7)[Am] to go from A to B, and (Dm G7) [C] to go from B back to a.

Why do gibson headstocks snap off all the time?

They only snap if you drop the instrument on it's face, or if you're using extreme tension strings on an aged neck.

How would you anons approach reharmonizing nursery rhymes?

That's false. Some of the best singers have flaws. It's what makes them unique

Everyone has flaws. Capable professionals have a high balance of both technical and lyrical skill. I didn't say advanced musicians are perfect in any way.

That's because you're a shitty bass player bro. Go play Stanley Clarke faggot

explain modes.. how if I know the key which mode do I play

Modes work on scale degrees.
For example, the key of C, no sharps or flats.
C Ionian (Scale degree 1)
D dorian (scale degree 2)
E phrygian (3)
F lydian (4)
G mixolydian (5)
A aeolian (6) (This is also known as the natural minor scale)
B locrian (7)

All of these are played off the C scale, just starying on their corresponding notes.
Other examples are
A Dorian (1 sharp that's F#, parent scale is G)
And G Phrygian (3 flats, Bb Eb and Ab, parent scale is Eb)

Reminder that there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Who else is into Snarky Puppy?

The sign of a pretty amateur musician is to slag off bass.

That was such a disappointment

This user knows whats up. When I have to choose between guitar or bass for a combo, I end up going with bass and chordal support on vibes. Bass can make or break the integrity of a song.

how do i finger a minor?

Google it. Congrats on being the banana of music threads.

How do I banana a finger thread?

I've been playing electric and acoustic guitar for 8 ish years, but I can never figure out how to do leads. Any tips?

Depends what you mean by leads, please elaborate friendo.

Like guitar solos, pretty much. I can look up the tab for songs I want to learn the solo for, but I'm trying to get to the point where I can improv lead guitar

Ah. The first step to that is reading music so you can understand chord scales. If you can already read, it's a matter of learning licks and some scales that fit over common chord progressions. Minor scales, minor pentatonic, and dorian scales are common in rock and metal solos.

Thank you!

How do you into jazz drumming? recently watched Whiplash and fell in love instantly, been hitting cylinders to rock music for about 6 years so I'm fairly competent, don't have a day of music theory under my belt tho

Theory is negligible for drumming, really. The trade off is that you have to train your internal rhythm to the max. Best thing to do is learn simple swing time first, lock in the time really well with a metronome. Then experiment with some fills, play along to some simple jazz recordings impromptu, and do a ton of listening. Max Roach and of course Buddy Rich as mentioned in whiplash are great examples. Really load up the listening to know what kind of sound you're shooting for, because it's massively different from the average garage or rock band style of drumming, a lot of communication goes into it.

>15 year guitar fag here

CAGED system is by far the fastest way to learn basic music theory, chord forms and leads.

Also, my favorite exercise to learn to play lead parts and practice improvisation is to listen to your music on shuffle. Learn the root chords, figure out the key (just look it up if you don't have much of an ear), and improvise over the entire song. Don't worry about mistakes too much, just keep going forward. It's a very fun exercise. And you don't have to worry if all of it "sounds good". It's great practice, and you can learn the basics of a lot of songs quickly.

I see, will do just that
This is probably the most helpful thing I have ever seen on 4chin, let alone Sup Forums, thank you

Neat approach with pseudo-free improv, I'd second this idea in conjunction.
iRealB on Android and apple is a great app with a great community. It's basically band in a box mobile.

If it motivates music, I'm all for it.

This thread lacks dicks.