RIGHT NOW through the power of the internet you can listen to almost all music that's ever been made, isn't that amazing

RIGHT NOW through the power of the internet you can listen to almost all music that's ever been made, isn't that amazing

i realized that this morning and it reaffirmed my will to live, how do people not appreciate this?

if everything is so easy for the taking, there is no joy and reward

The problem is that
1) you haven't earned the right to hear this music
2) you ignore the context of the music
3) there is too much for you to listen to and appreciate properly

I dont enjoy anything any more

"And all of this, I said, just as today was the case with the radio, would be of no more service to man than as a means of escape from and his true aims, and a means of surrounding himself with an even closer mesh of distractions and useless activities." Hesse; 1918

I had a lot more intimate relation with music when I was forced to buy cd's or casettes to be honest

>2.
This part especially. I've noticed when talking to older listeners about music they will reject genres as they ignore context, which I appreciate, but when I attempt to show them music they never were in contact with they reject it perhaps due to the lack of context. I've had to restructure the approach I take to sharing music and recommending artists because of it.

>1.
When you make this point, do you speak in terms of paying for it or some other aspect of worthiness? I can understand the former but I'm intrigued by the possibility of the latter.

I've noticed with younger listeners mostly. Is this redirection?
How would you create value to music? Does music really have value if it's something you downloaded from a share thread? Is a click of the button really equal to going out to a record store and going through a thousand records to find that one treasure?

Your appreciation to the music will be equal to the value and work you've put into getting it.

At some point you will realize that there is a very limited amount of joy that can be taken from experiencing another persons creations and proceed onto the next logical step.

agreed.

>how do people not appreciate this?
what the fuck do you think this entire board is dedicated to?

lol

I don't mean to imply that it isn't common in younger listeners, but older listeners specifically are more conscious of it. I meant to imply that the problem of context arose when introducing music to most folks in general, not only older listeners.

I'm at a point now where I can afford to put money down on physical copies of music that interests me in the same manner one would buy a game that interests them. My first listen for a lot of album recommendations lately has been from buying the album and listening to it at home. Perhaps the reason why I'm able to justify this is that I have a closely knit circle of friends who have similar tastes in music to me, thus allowing me to put more faith into my purchased, but thus far I've yet to buy an album I haven't been able to appreciate.

Most pop music but yeah it's awesome

>I don't mean to imply that it isn't common in younger listeners, but older listeners specifically are more conscious of it. I meant to imply that the problem of context arose when introducing music to most folks in general, not only older listeners.
Not really. Older listeners are aware of context more than millennials because of post modernization attempts to destroy context and re appropriate it. That's fine, but not useful when examining art that predated it.

>Perhaps the reason why I'm able to justify this is that I have a closely knit circle of friends who have similar tastes in music to me, thus allowing me to put more faith into my purchased, but thus far I've yet to buy an album I haven't been able to appreciate.
That's an interesting point. Getting recs from a close friend IRL as opposed to strangers on the internet; which will be more long lasting?

It's crazy to think that before audio recordings were a thing most people would only hear their favorite song ever once or twice if they were lucky.

I think we're on the same lines regarding this first point but speaking in different tongues.

As far as the second, it helps that I'm generally a more social listener. As such, I think I'd be able to appreciate some music in a group setting with those who recommended the music even if I were to find something that didn't click with me.

I'd be interested in finding when the concept of a favorite song was first popular. I'm sure it would vary across cultures where music was more apparent or included in ceremony, but if we move into the secular realm of music it would be interesting to see when the artform was developed enough such that it would have attracted this sort of attention.

oh haha OP here sorry i left, i meant the power to access any album as in buying cds online, whenver i go to record stores they have shit selection but maybe that was different back in the day lmao sorry for the confusion

>through the power of the internet
What does boogie2988 listen to Sup Forums?

Think of it this way: basically any human being in a first world country has easy access to almost every single musical recording ever made for virtually no cost. You can listen to basically anything at any time, anywhere. People can listen to anything and discover so much beautiful music.

So why the fuck do people STILL think it's acceptable to listen to Muse?!

Some different implications there. Past a level of income, however, is the earned right to certain music still retained when purchasing from a catalog with minimal effort required (like discogs)?

Bump

Bump

>you haven't earned the right to hear this music

Most pretentious bullshit I've ever heard