Is the mathematic order of operation arbitrary or is there a mathematical reason behind the order?

Is the mathematic order of operation arbitrary or is there a mathematical reason behind the order?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operator-precedence_parser
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Without
2 + 3 * 5 = 25

With
2 + 3 * 5 = 17

Yea it's arbitrary. You can just do it in whatever order you want, it doesn't matter. We only say Pemdas because it sounds like a word.

As long as you know how to multiple, add/subtract then you're good. Everything else is just for new world stuff.

Bottom one us correct. Top one is some made up new 2000s bullshit.

No it isn't.

The top one is just wrong, nothing new or made up.

Just wrong.

Referring to "common core" which I assume you are, it's dumber than that.

In others words think of it 3 lots of 5 cars and 2 extra cars.

>Attacking new math and not even knowing what it is
Kek

Top is real world math. Bottom is some bullshit they teach millennials. Bet you think anything above algebra is relevant and were born in 2005.

I know what pemdas is, I just refuse to use bullshit math. I'm not an engineer, so why would I use math that's irrelevant in the real world. Its been made up and taught to only kids born after 2003. There was nothing wrong with the way people were doing it before.

Fry cook detected

math student here.
it's arbitrary.

This sounds like the kind of old person that's like "where would kids be without their smart phones and technologies"

Obviously you're not an engineer. However, many of the newer generations will be. The US is becoming a technology/service economy it's important for kids to understand math concepts early. Conservafats just don't like it because their kids are dumb.

>many of the newer generations will be.

Actually work as management for a fairly decent sized shipping and receiving company.

Not old, just not buying into this new age bullshit. But that statement is true.

>conservafats
Should've just said you're some liberal from the start, it makes sense. I stand nowhere on the political spectrum, but it doesn't take an engineer to know a Starbucks, mudslime, hippie, faggot when he sees one. Bet you use pemdas to calculate the trajectory of your rainbow dildo, into your ass.

>I stand nowhere on the political spectrum
I stopped here fuck off

They are prioritized in order of scale. That is, in general, exponents have a greater influence on the outcome than multiplication and division (which are equal), which in turn have greater significance on the outcome than addition and subtraction (which are also equal).

tldr Stronger symbols go first

The Parentheses are a means of manually adjusting the other symbols priority, and as such have to be given absolute precedence at the front.

Mad because you can't bait me or use your typical libtard screeches. I totally get it.

Don't be sad your family is fat and dumb.

>Mad because you can't bait me or use your typical libtard screeches. I totally get it.
Do you even know what bait is? You've literally had a bite on every thing I've posted. Have some dignity and quit now.

Right-pondian here.
We used a different acronym in the 90s at school, but the order was the same. Had trouble with it so my father explained it from his school days in the 60s.

The order is arbitrary but standardised so people take the same equation and get the same results.

PEMDAS is nothing new.
It is important, and anyone that does not know it does not know mathematics beyond what they need to count change when flipping burgers.

(I grew up with BODMAS - Brackets Of Division Multiplication Addition Subtraction - that is Of as in Power Of, and the order of multiplication and division does not actually change the result.)

Not that you would know, but if you actually make something of yourself you don't have to deal with your family!

>dignity
Lol you must think this is reddit or something. There's no shame or dignity here.

Keep quoting me, I have all the time in the world

This is the answer to OP's question, OP asked whether the order was arbitrary, and the reasoning behind it, not whether PEMDAS is worth using or not... Such an unnecessary argument going on in here...

>engineers use maths not applicable to the real world

????

Obviously this is fucking reddit you fucking idiot. Has been for a long time. Have fun flipping burgers for the Chinese.

Fuck off attention whore, this is intergenerational shit flinging now. Anyone with a working brain knows it's not arbitrary so the question wasn't worth answering in these first place.

2+3*5=2+5*3
2+3*5=/=3+2*5

Based on the content of the thread I get the impression there are a lot of people on this board whose brains might not be deemed "working" by your standards. Just providing some insight.

Anyway... carry on with the shitflinging.

This is proof that absolutely any thread on Sup Forums can turn into an utter shit show. Not that we needed it

>2+3*5=/=3+2*5
3+2*5 = two groups of five cars plus 3 extra. Order is important.

Anybody else have bidmas?

Brackets, indices, etc etc

In Canada it's bedmas. Never heard the term indices used for exponents before. Interesting how many terms there are for the same concept. Power, Exponent, Indices, all for the same thing.

Bimdas in australia... in the 80s

this. both ways are correct if you are consistent you can still express math with each.

PEMDAS was made up by the Chinese so they can increase U.S. economic dependence on China.

I think you mean

Shut the fuck up retard

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operator-precedence_parser

you really thought it was arbitrary you dumb nigger

forgot pic