Has anyone successfully packed up and moved far away alone...

Has anyone successfully packed up and moved far away alone? I want to move across the country from Virginia to Arizona and I need sagely advice.

have you moved anything before? like on a large scale

Yea, luggage and furniture etc. I'm asking more for help starting a new life far away.

Like erasing everything you were tied to far away?
Or
Moving out from home far away?

I moved to Sweden from Iceland with my partner 4 years ago. Pretty good to have the sense of calm getting away from your old life. What do you want to talk about?

I moved from my home city to another city in the same state and cut all ties a few years ago. Then I moved to London. It is difficult but fun, I am sure that it 100% easier if you have nothing to go back to in a way (friends, etc.). My first move involved moving a ton of shit, this recent one across the Atlantic I moved with only one suitcase and carry on.

A bit of both, but mostly the first one. I'll be leaving my overbearing parents' home.

Setting up a good foundation for being self sufficient and being a normie. What essentials should I have before going for example. How much cash would I need? Things like that.

Were you relocated for work or did you move across the Atlantic with no concrete plan?

If you're planning on heading to Arizona and living there for good you're gonna need a place to stay, for one thing and another is a decent job.

The hardest part would be how and when to leave. Are you planning on changing your name?

I moved to London because I traveled here when I was younger and it is my favourite city and England is my favourite country. I moved entirely for personal reasons and not for work. There is no concrete plan, I just moved from the USA to the UK because I wanted to.

All you need really is a bit of money to buy food and pay rent for a few months while you get a job. Then it depends on your education etc., how fast you can start getting comfy. I went out with barely anything and now I own a house, two cars and some money in the bank but I am educated in CS and work as a brogrammer.

Yea, that's a big obstacle. Most places require some sort of proof of employment before they allow you to move in. Maybe I could stay in a motel until I find work?

No, I'm not changing my identity, but I am deleting my social media accounts.

Weird. 14 years ago when I was 18 I moved from Arizona to Virginia. I love it here. What part of Va are you in OP

your best bet for now might be an extended stay type hotel. Usually they'll do a cut rate for you if you pay for a month up front. You'll need someplace to stay while you get on your feet. Figure that out, give yourself enough time there to start working/ find work.

Ball park it, how much would you say is a good amount to have in the bank before making the move?

a couple grand at least

Sure, price it out. Then double that?

How much stuff do you have? Sell anything that's non essential.

Do you have a car? Do you trust it to drive across country without going boom? If not, then sell it.

Best case scenario, you have a fairly reliable vehicle and you can fit all your stuff in it.

Worst case scenario, you have to fly to AZ while getting your stuff shipped across country. This'll be many orders of magnitude more expensive.

DC's parking lot (Northern VA). My dad got relocated from Tucson to the Pentagon in 2000 and we've been here ever since. I'm just so sick of of VA.

For me, about 4 - 5k. For you, try estimating 3 months rent and food for that period.

No wonder, I hate northern va too. Richmond is where to be

Fuck I'm going to have to sell a lot of stuff. Maybe I'll take a series of buses with a few bags

One of my brothers went to VCU, I'll pass haha. Hipsters and crime.

Some road tips:

1. Keep half your cash in the bank (plastic) and half your cash in actual cash, hidden somewhere deep in your luggage/car. In case of emergency, you'll have real money, which can save your ass.
2. If you have a firearm, know your state laws for travelling with one.
3. Make sure your car is road legal, even down to small shit like licence plate lights being fully functional, and nothing covering your plates (like plate surrounds). Some states are picky shits, and like to pull over out-of-state drivers because they know it's easy money. You don't want to have to drive back to a state for a court date over a busted light.
4. If you have a bank card, let them know you'll be travelling. This will keep you from being stuck with a declined card due to 'suspicious activity.'
5. Simple but true: Hide Your Valuable Shit. Pack it deep and away. Stolen shit is bad enough, but a broken window on a 1000 mile drive is worse.
6. Roll your clothing to fit more. Look it up, it works, and you can tuck fragile shit between things easier.
7. Imagine if your home burned down. What would you miss most/what comes to mind first? No matter how trivial, find a way to take that with you. Sentimental stuff can make a huge mental difference.
8. When you feel tired, rest, no matter how close you are to where you are going. One nod-off can cost you everything on the road, and other people drive like idiots. Keep your wits sharp.
9. Only talk to people you NEED to talk to. Don't tell anyone details about where you are going or why. This is info people use to social engineer your ass into ending up in a dumpster.
10. If you withdraw cash from an ATM, make sure to tug the card reader, and cover your hands while entering your PIN. Highway ATM's are hot targets for card theft, and by the time you notice it, your bank will be bone dry.

Bonus: Change your oil and top off your fluids in your car before leaving. Make sure your tires are at the right pressure. It pays.