Spin magazine just released their 100 greatest guitarists list and it's edgy as fuck

Spin magazine just released their 100 greatest guitarists list and it's edgy as fuck.

Hendrix no.
Skrillex yes.
It gets worse from there.

spin.com/2012/05/spins-100-greatest-guitarists-all-time/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CG1AnrtohKY
youtube.com/watch?v=RR3xvae-nIE
youtube.com/watch?v=BSq7g2yg2uk
youtube.com/watch?v=G4YngQ49dSw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No Clapton or Gilmoure either

And Cobain at #4

What the fuck

>implying i'm going to give spin a page view

>No George Harrison

really makes me think

>We don’t worship “guitar gods,” but prefer our axe-wielders to be resourceful, egalitarian, flawed, and human.

>falling for reactionary journalism

Im not even gonna. I feel like a piece of shit for asking but can someone post a tldr just so we can get mad?

I legit don't even know what that quote means

"no dadrock"

I'll take the bait. To me that means someone like Agita from melt banana.

Absolutely none of the guitar founding fathers, none of the classics..... And the guitarist from Sonic Youth is the greatest of all time.

Even if you hate dad rock, this shit is absurd. I think this list was compiled by 17 year olds who only listened to spotify.

>missing jimi hendrix, mark knopfler, eric clapton, chuck berry, david gilmour, B.B. King, stevie ray vaughan, jimmy page, steve vai, joe satriani
>guitarists from sonic youth at #1
>kurt cobain ahead of people like tony lommi, frank zappa, the edge
>a member of Run DMC is at #10

This list is really making me think

someone post the list plz

they ain't gettin my traffic

Its cool that there are some guitarists that lack more recognition in the mainstream like John Fahey, Robbie Basho, Sonic Youth's, etc. But to have people like the Edge, Jack White, Kurt Cobain, or fucking Skrillex and not have David Gilmour, Jimmy Page or Hendrix is a travesty.

>prefer our axe-wielders to be resourceful, egalitarian, flawed, and human.
>prefer our axe-wielders to be pedal reliant, edgy, leftist, indie rockers

Ftfy

10/10 spin. I'm trolled hard.

Skrillex doesn't even play guitar and he's better than Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Eric fucking Clapton and Hendrix.

its literally just to bait you into looking at their articles.

fuck off op shill, ppl please don't fall for this blatant clickbait

>just released
>list is from 5 years ago

if there was an actual list of 100 best guitarists, they would all be a bunch of literally who classical guitarists with maaaaaybe a few rock/shredder legends thrown in just to account for the fact that electric guitar handles different than classical and has some alternative dynamics.

I mean, stuff like hendrix and clapton is straight up baby shit in technical challenge compared to stuff like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=CG1AnrtohKY
youtube.com/watch?v=RR3xvae-nIE
youtube.com/watch?v=BSq7g2yg2uk

but yes that list is a joke and you should feel ashamed for linking it

Classical critics rank Hendrix as #1.

>Classical critics rank Hendrix as #1.[citation needed]
reading some kind of pop magazine? been playing guitar for fifteen years. I can dish out anything from hendrix's discography without much issue. his stuff is actually very easy to play compared to his contemporaries such as garcia, lifeson, clapton, page etc., he's just charmingly inventive in his composition. a bach suite, however? I've spent years trying to master 996 alone and I can't even approach gigue.

>the edge
Lmao.

Way to miss the point on Hendrix you moron. Literally Le wrong generation kids understand why he's better and is far deserving of praise than any classical guitarist you can pull.

That's because Bach wrote compositions which neither he nor musicians of his time could play. Hendrix's true skill is in improvisation, not compisition. You can't improvise on Hendrix's level, nor could his contemporaries.

"SPIN doesn't worship "guitar gods" — we like our axe-wielders to be flawed, resourceful, egalitarian, and human"
t. nu-male

nothing but an ad hom in this post

I'm not even calling hendrix bad. heck, it's asinine not to consider him among the most incredible electric-focused guitarists in history. I'm just saying his compositions are a joke in technical complexity compared to even what this mere woman is playing:
youtube.com/watch?v=G4YngQ49dSw

I'm significantly more impressed by garcia's improvisation skill than by hendrix. like, tenfold. hendrix sounds good, but to the trained ear he focuses on a few tricks that he basically procedurally generates when improvising, moving around the same few barre chords in different arrangements. you will find after playing a lot of hendrix that his playing patterns are unusually consistent and predictable.

he's a legend. but when it comes to pure skill and complexity, his work is a joke compared to what's going on in the classical world.

>I'm not even calling hendrix bad.
Never said that. Nor ever implied that.

best guitarists list

>56. Kim and Kelley Deal (the Breeders)

THAT'S TWO GUITARISTS

>That's because Bach wrote compositions which neither he nor musicians of his time could play
any skilled musician could play Bach back in the days
in fact, he was writing his music at the time when a much younger generation of more technically skilled and flashy performers already conquered European stages

though I definitely agree that plenty of skilled musicians could play bach during his time, with a few of his pieces I genuinely wonder if he was legitimately trying to make the most intricately challenging to play stuff possible just to see if some autist sperg with a lute would actually sit down and learn how to play it.

shit like this is why we need communism and press censorship

Go listen to Live At Fillmore East you moron

tl;dr:

>features faggots like:
>Skrillex
>The Edge (U2)
>Jam Master Jay (Run DMC)
>Kurt Cobain (who was mentioned specifically for the fact that he fucked up a guitar solo on a song that wasn't even his)
>Number one is Ranaldo and Moore from Sonic Youth

>not even mentioned:
>Hendrix
>Clapton
>Gilmour
>Page
>Vai
>Satriani
>Petrucci
>Buckethead
>Akerfeldt
>Thorendal
>Jarzombek
>Not even hot new guys like David Davidson or Tosin Abasi

ABASI IS A BASKETBALL-AMERICAN, HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN NUMBER FUCKING ONE ON THIS FUCKING NUMALE AS FUCK LIST

it's a good performance, I have it on vinyl. I prefer his royal albert hall and a couple of his BoG performances, personally.

does that make hendrix more "skilled" than classical guitarists? not even remotely. he doesn't even impress me as much as many of the grateful dead's live performances.

late baroque music often was complex, it's not just Bach

>Look, as far as we know, our asymmetrically coiffed party pal has never held a guitar in his life.

though kurt cobain doesn't belong on a list of to 100 guitarists, I do want to say that he's a lot more talented than many make him out to be. some of his early-days soloing is equally inventive as it is impressive, though he seemed to lose his passion into the 90s. imo he deserves no significant praise but no significant hate either.

I'm with Old Pink on this one.

I don't have much trouble with weiss or dufault compositions, it's specifically bach that makes me feel like I'm hacking through a jungle with a fork. lute wasn't exactly a popular court composer instrument, though. it would have been interesting to see some compositions from more big shots.

it's because Dufault was a lute player himself and belonged to a great tradition of French lute composers, unlike Bach with his autistic 10 voice fugues for a piccolo solo.

I do agree that David Davidson and Tosin should start entering these lists but I gotta say,
>>features faggots like:
>>The Edge (U2)
You've fallen for a sad meme my friend. The Edge is pretty damn good but in all seriousness shouldn't be as high as he is on here.