Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1824

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
There's the door

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#毎・まい
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leitner_system
apps.ankiweb.net/
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_night.html#㊦から(2)
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/bunpou.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

thx 4 thrad

where can I meet cute nippon girls?

What are you doing for Howaito Dei?

hello talk
interpals

I will give something in return to all the 0 girls who gave me chocolate!

I'll give a coffee grinder to my gf

I'm glad somebody else is using these. I think they're perfect for new learners.

I just downloaded them, the Level 1 one gives me a zip file - When I unzip that, it gives me a .zip.cpgz file. When I unzip that, it gives me a .zip file again and it keeps looping like that
what do

you downloaded malware. run a scan on your machine.

I can't vouch for the files
I owned the books physically at one point

Probably what said, I just unzipped and it worked fine.

I used a different program to extract and it gave me the proper folder
It couldn't be malware because I'm on a mac :^)

Jesus, that first story was depressing.

>mac
white and based

Do Japanese people really call each other by their last names? Or is that just in anime/manga.

Your question was retarded and you should feel stupid for asking it here instead of just googling it.

チンコを男の後ろに入れりたい

Google takes to much energy

>Do Japanese people really call each other by their last names?
What's wrong with that?

You have to be close to someone to use their first name otherwise it's disrespectful
It's an honor culture thing where families are more important than the individual

h-help with sentence construction

'これは字の侍ですあ'

これは正しいですか

I got a cookie from my coworker.
It was sakura-flavored.
おいしかったよ

I don't know what you want to say, sorry.

Yeah.
They're all famous Japanese stories so it's a good way to get acquainted with the culture too.

「これは侍という字ですか?」
「これは侍という字です」
かな?
I have no idea what you want to say, sorry.

apologies.

This is the kanji/character for samurai, i think i fucked up

Then you want to use 's
>これは侍という字です。

Does knowledge of hanja and hanji carry over to kanji?

>be me in English class
>always suspected one of the students was hiding a certain power level
>dude's short, fat, pale, has a shitty haircut, a neckbeard, speaks autistically, and smells like shit
>reviewing preposition words (shit like "good for" or "important to")
>have to write two sentences using these words
>teacher gets to him
>he reads his paper
>"I'm good at drawing anime"
>60 year old woman asks him what anime is
>starts explaining to her what anime and manga are
Found a weeaboo in the wild, guys!

Pretty much, I think. The only problems I can think of (Other than pronounciation) are that the Chinese might use kanji the Japanese don't use (and viceversa) and that IIRC the Japanese use the simplified script, so if you know Cantonese you're fucked.

How old are you, 15? Back in the day everyone watched anime.
Hell, even my brother who is from 1999 had his monkey normie friends from public school recommend him Nanatsu no Taizai, so I wonder if the culture is still alive and I've just managed to transcend all human contact.

No, Japanese uses mostly traditional variants, with the several hundred simplified ones being really common anyway (学, 会, etc.)

It opened fine for me.
Try re-downloading.

Then I suppose that must be exclusively a macaco thing because the most anime the average person watched here in Argentina is Dragon Ball Z when they were kids.
Well, guess I was wrong then.

B-but spics are also a major weeb powerhouse when it comes to animay piracy, subbing, being retarded on Facebook and whatnot.

Maybe Argentina was left out of the loop, but I'm sure Chile and Peru has lots of weebs.

Don't get me wrong, there is a radioactive amount of weebs in Argentina, but it's nowhere near as dense as Chile. Idk, maybe it's just the area I live in (It's a fairly normie town).
The only other weeb I met irl was some edgelord who went to my school 3 years below me who shared emo cancer on facebook and had L Lawliet as his profile pic.

When you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Amongst your family it's your given name that identifies you, in other groups it's your family name that best identifies you.

What, even ジョンさん日本へ?

What does Sakura flavor taste like? Cherries?

Does 「毎人」

mean everyone/each person?

おはよう?今日スレドはすごく静かだよね…

What's the word for "coast" in Japanese? Every dictionary I've checked is giving me multiple alternatives. I'm looking for a word referring to "the country's coast", like how we say "west/east coast" in English.

I've never seen such a combination, 毎 and 人. I may guess its meaning and understand it like either 毎秒, 毎分, 毎時 (per second, minute, hour) or 毎回, 毎晩, 毎朝(each time, every night, every morning). but I would ignore it and forget it soon because that's an insignificant thing.

west coast 西海岸
east coast 東海岸

thanks!

How do you guys use SRS?

Say you have 500 kanjis on your belt, and is to add 50 today, would you review all 550 today? eventually reaching 2500 kanjis in one day? and do you plan to do this everyday?

Relevant:
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#毎・まい

Maybe lookup HOW it works a little first, then try out a software that implements it:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leitner_system

apps.ankiweb.net/

Will do thank you.

but does SRS really work for everyone? I heard Tae Kim not recommending it?

Theoretically yes, since it takes the concept of the "forgetting curve" and implements reviews in the most efficient way.

However, not everyone has the patience / focus to go through with all of their reviews each day, as is required. Keeping a schedule can be tough for some, which makes language learning tough regardless of using an SRS system or not. There's also the problem of decks becoming super large after a few years and needing to trim them down some.

These are very small prices to pay for efficient study though, it should work unless you have literal brain problems? Not sure how a learning curve of a mentally retarded person would look, might be exactly the same.

>There's also the problem of decks becoming super large after a few years and needing to trim them down some.
How do you trim it down?

Re-evaluate what you really need to be reviewing (stuff you encounter often anyways), cut out cards with like 3+ years duration till next review. Cut out cards that are plain boring, or outdated etc.

ありがとう

Is there any effective difference between ⻏ and ⻖other than its position in the kanji? Both Heisig and Jisho list them as separate radicals.

What is this から doing there?

>each person
各人(かくじん)

djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_night.html#㊦から(2)

djt.neocities.org/bunpou/bunpou.html

No answer there to be found.
Where's the fucken verb after から?
It would have been perfectly fine with me if it were like 霊夢の帰りを待ってから出掛けたの方がいい
But what verb does の方がいい , in the pic, refer to?

>霊夢の帰り
What did she mean by this?

Reimu's return

Got the context to the rest of the scene?

>"can someone help me with X?"
>is given the answer to X
>"wow what the fuck there's no answer to Y here"

What's your point?

ハァ~
化学宿題を完成した!

Wait, a sec, I think I finally got it. It's the form of から that means "because". You don't need to state both clauses in a から sentence if it's something that's already known, but you still need から at the end of the clause.
I was trying to see if I could deduce what she was talking about.

から makes no sense there without a verb that is supposed to follow, doesn't it?

The reason I said "pretend to study" is because I'm drowning in work for all of my other classes on top of self-studying Japanese. Playing a game like that in Japanese would let me screw around for a bit without feeling like it's a total waste of time.

Anyone fluent in dick-in-mouth-while-speaking Japanese?

ふあひめふぇて

Any ideas?

おめでとう、アノンくん!まだアンキのレップを終えない。

>I was trying to see if I could deduce what she was talking about.
I suppose she says sumfink like "I guess we should have waited for Reimu".
Which I think should look like 霊夢の帰りを待ったの方がいい

>Anyone fluent in dick-in-mouth-while-speaking Japanese?
Might have better luck if you just linked us to whatever you heard that in.

It does. の following particles can't be new thing for you, this is like that.

That's the nominalizing の, correct?

て-form + から means "after doing X."
It's the から that means "from," not "because."

帰ってから宿題をする
To do homework after going home.

霊夢の帰りを待ってからの方がいい
After waiting for Reimu to come home is better (than doing it before she comes home)

No, as a noun, 方, follows it.

I think I get it now.
Just couldn't imagine 方がいい without the preceding の

>not "because."
I don't recall insisting on this.
>After waiting for Reimu to come home is better
Thks!

The because part was for the Argentine, sorry

Shit, you're right, don't know how I could miss that.

>I was trying to see if I could deduce what she was talking about.
Ok
I just thought you were heavily implying something.

>Just had to completely delete the Katakana deck because I came back to 120 cards to review and didn't know the answer to a single one.

Man... Jap...is...hard..

Well, there's a significant difference between "I watch anime" and "I watched DBZ, Saint Seiya, Rurouni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho when I was a kid".

>Katakana
>Hard
How? Even me, the retard, learned it. Vocabulary (that has kanji in it) however makes me want to off myself desu. Can't memorize shit. Keep relearning old words everyday. Even knowing the radicals doesn't really help me that much. It's like trying to memorize thousands of pictures that all have their own meanings and a specific way to say them. Learning Russian and English was piss easy since there are proper alphabets.

I came back to it after like 6 months. I managed to recognize a lot of the Hiragana and only had to practice 1/3 of it. I know all Hira now, but Kata is just.

I memorize what a character is by using mnemonic devices. So for example the n character looks like a man sticking his penis inside of a woman in the doggy style position. I imagine the sound he makes as he does this is nnnn.

A lot of the Katakana is just A FUCKING BOX. And that's hard for me to. I also have aphantasia btw.

>the following phrases are all unacceptable because the nouns following 毎 do not indicate a time or period of time.
>a. *毎人 every person

I call bullshit. These niggas lack poetry in their hearts.

"Her heart was like wind, indomitable. She would blow into people's lives and just as soon go away. But with every person, her soul grew wearier and bitterer."

Wouldn't 毎人 here be appropriate, describing ephemeral relationships?

No, every class in my school had its otaku nucleus, and I was living on a tiny-ass hillbilly town.

Things like Death Note, FMA, Lucky Star, Angel Beats, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Soul Eater were well known, to mention a few.

It was as common as finding people who played Ragnarok/Tibia/CS/Mu Online.

I remember back in France, there were some who studied Japanese for 4+ years who couldn't remember katakana for shit because of a bad case of no exposure

Huh.
My experience was totally different, probably because I went to school in RS where Japanese culture isn't as prominent, so I hid my power level.. And now that I live in SP I don't have any friends so I just continue to hide my power level.

>Things like Death Note, FMA, Lucky Star, Angel Beats, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Soul Eater were well known, to mention a few.
That's not weeb, that's just normie otaku stuff. Everyone who isn't a normie tincho who goes out clubbing every weekend has heard of those shows.

Dang.. I guess those boxes are dangerous to everyone.

Wait a second why does this new guide say nothing about learning Katakana? It seems to suggest that I go on over to learning the vocabulary after I've learned Hiragana.

But it does.

>Katakana is also important, but it's fine to move on to the next step without having as firm of a grasp on katakana.

Is there a reason why 牛 and 失う look and sound as similar as they do?

>That's not weeb, that's just normie otaku stuff.
Well, you were the one all flustered because you heard a fatso saying "I am good at drawing anime" in the first place, why the suddenly high standards?

Eh, my few RS friends back in the day were weebs, one was obsessed with Shakugan no Shana. But I met them on the Internet, so there's already a filter going on.

Wait until you reach 牛,午

I wasn't complaining that they're hard to tell apart or anything, I was just wondering if there's any reason to them both having うし in their reading and both having the same top section in their kanji

>tfw had meningitis so I was hospitalised for ~10 days
>couldn't do Anki since I wasn't allowed electonic devices
>2000+ Cards due
AHHHHHHHH

Maybe now you can actually learn Japanese