>all niggers

Nope

out of these four who is the sexiest?

>Young Thug
You almost got me, shitposter

*nopes* xD

only kanye t b h

im not shitposting im just drunk so i type bad english

even if this is bullshit explain to me how young thug deserves to be close to those guys

listen here faggpt
Jeffery, Blonde, TLOP, and DAMN. are all godtier

where are the other 3?

>Kendrick
Definitely.

>Kanye
Ok, yea, sure.

>Frank Ocean
Umm... maybe? Probably not?

>Young Thug
Oh fuck off.

but they're rappers

>one of these is not like the other

I'm almost embarrassed for you

He's a good rapper but his production is garbage and his albums have no artistic vision

Replace them with XXX, Lil Peep, 21 Savage, and Lil Uzi Vert.

literally none of those things are true

>He's a good rapper
How? In what way? The only thing he does that's "unique" is auto-tune croon like Kanye. The difference is his lyrics are fucking trash. He just talks about the same shit every other mainstream rapper talks about.

>lyrics
>important in any way
Have you ever read a book?

What about my boy Logic guys?

...can't tell if serious...

If you listen to music for lyrics you shouldn't listen to music.

>...
>can't tell if serious
>gif

Couldn't be any more Reddit if you tried.

>getting jewed into believing black guys with average talent and an army of producers are geniuses

I actually don't. All of my friends get mad at me because I'd rather just listen to the music as a whole, rather than try to decipher the lyrics along the way.

That said, when we're talking about rap music and "true musical geniuses of our time," lyrics are obviously a major factor.

>Couldn't be any more Reddit if you tried.
I've literally never used Reddit before.

Yes, but lyrics are a key component of rap

Rap lyrics are important to fans of rap not fans of music

Fans of rap aren't fans of music

Why not?

If your opinion of a song is significantly influenced by the literary merits of its lyrics then you are a retard.
It would be similar to buying a car based on how well it travels across water.

You must enjoy Lil Wayne and Lil Uzi Vert then, don't you?

no, because they make awful music.
I don't like Kendrick Lamar for the same reason.

Your opinions suck.

>rappers
>geniuses
kys

>judging music based on its musical elements is wrong
go be a pleb somewhere else

Lyrics are musical elements you fucking retard
Back to >

>thinking lyrics in RAP music don't matter whatsoever
>thinking Kendrick is comparable to Wayne and Uzi
You're the one in the wrong. Just admit it to yourself.

No problem, classical is the most patrician of all forms of music.

Vocal sounds are musical elements, but the meaning of words are not.
lyrics in rap only matter in the context of rap.
In the context of music as a whole lyrics are irrelevant just like in the context of literature hip-hop instrumentals are irrelevant.

Most if not all rap lyrics are garbage and anyone taking them seriously is clinically retarded, but you sir are autistic.

I might be autistic, but I'm right.

>the
You're just digging yourself into a bigger and bigger hole man. Why are you comparing rap lyrics and literature? Rhymes and poetry have always been intertwined within all forms of music (that contain a singer). That doesn't make those lyrics more "literature" than music.

Don't mind if I do ;)

>Young Thug
haha

>Why are you comparing rap lyrics and literature?
Because when judging art made with words I tend to compare it with other art that is also made with words.
>Rhymes and poetry have always been intertwined within all forms of music
and rhyme is by far the most popular literary device used in song lyrics, because rhyme actually has sonic qualities.
The meanings of these words, however, have no sonic qualities and don't contribute any musical elements to a song.

>Kanye
Absolutely YES
>Kendrick
Yes
>Frank
Fuck yes
>Thug
What the fuck are you thinking man
I like Young Thug btw

this

Lyrics are like the whole point of hip hop you dumbasses

get out of my thread leftypol cuck

Rappers don't make music and if you consider rap music you should fuck right off this board.

low-tier b8 from a literally who trip

Please elaborate. How is rap not music?

WHAT THE FUCK I LIKE JOHN !!1asYAw87qcx NOW

Rap is only half music.
Any part of about rap that makes an actual sound like voice, the way rhyming words sound together, cadence, etc are considered musical.
Any part of rap that has to do with the meanings of the words being said are considered literary and not musical.
The best rap will blend these two parts together, but when the musical and literary sections are split up and judged on their own they're almost always underwhelming.

jesus you type of people are insufferable.

I bet you're the guy who will shit in a can and call it art then act offended when somebody claims it isn't

How is this bait you idiot? I understand that lyrics are not always the most important aspect in music, but they definitely are in hip-hop.

Where the fuck is Danny Brown?

>lyrics are not always the most important aspect in music
Close, but lyrics are actually never the most important aspect in music.
>they definitely are in hip-hop
If that's true then tell me why it's always the producers that bring musical innovation while the rappers are still writing about the same 15 topics

The only thing that rap does differently than singing is an emphasis on rhythm, rather than melody.

You know words are used in all genres of music, right? Not just rap?

And evidently you're the type of person that jumps down people's throats just forasking a simple, neutral question, aren't you?

I bet my dick can jump down your throat faggot.

Add Panda Bear.

Remove Thug and add Jack White and you've got a deal

Good one.

dude, life of pablo, especially production wise and just being authentic but polished, is ahead of its time and underrated as shit. some of his lyrics are some shit, and just ruin the song kinda, but after getting over that i really started loving it, he's geeking and making some new new.

hopsin tier music and fanbase

also kendrick biter

Thanks, I was saving it for the right moment actually.

>singing doesn't emphasize rhythm
jesus christ
>You know words are used in all genres of music, right? Not just rap?
Yes, words are used in all genres. Rap is different.
People (who aren't plebs) can listen to and enjoy an a cappella performance in a language they don't understand, however nobody wants to listen to a rapper freestyle over silence if they can't understand the meaning of what they're saying.
The quality of rapping relies on meaning of words whereas the quality of singing relies only on actual musical elements

I like TLOP quite a bit but "some of his lyrics are shit" is an understatement. I cringe at least twice every song.

are you a time traveler stuck in the 90s?
if so, then i welcome you to the current year (2017 AD) where rap has evolved

you can leave your backpack and cormega tapes in the past and enjoy the future

your right, i know, he just has so many immature corny ass vulgar lines that just fuck up the whole thing, but after more listens, damn man he made a commercial emo/i'm going through some drugged induce shit and succeeded without sacrificing on listenability, un like Cudi for instance

>singing doesn't emphasize rhythm
jesus christ
Is that what I said? I mean really, is that what you think I said? Fuck man. I was saying that rap had MORE of an emphasis on rhythm, whereas singing has more of an emphasis on melody.

>however nobody wants to listen to a rapper freestyle over silence if they can't understand the meaning of what they're saying.
Hmm.. ok I partly agree, but I have heard a select few rappers that can grab my attention without a beat backing them up. Good rappers can paint a musical picture with their flow, and the lyrics just become icing on the cake.

>The quality of rapping relies on meaning of words whereas the quality of singing relies only on actual musical elements
I suppose that's fair, but again, I don't think you're a very good rapper if the only way you can make a compelling song is to have interesting meaning of words. When I listen to rap I don't even listen to the lyrics for the first few listens. It's all about the flow, atmosphere, tone, attitude, and emotion that you get from the music as a whole, rather than the actual words.

>I don't think you're a very good rapper if the only way you can make a compelling song is to have interesting meaning of words.
that's what i've been saying
>The best rap will blend these two parts together, but when the musical and literary sections are split up and judged on their own they're almost always underwhelming.

>Frank Ocean
>Young Thug

Haha no.

stop being such fags about music, your opinion is absolutely flawed, you trying to intelecualize hip hop is so misguided and against the soul of the genre, its all about the feel, stop being fucking professors and shit about it, you embarrass me as a white listener, your suburbanite gayness is why these garbage ass mcs make bucks, go debate something else, your take is 100% because you can't experience it properly. if you can't just be satisfied with the listening part of spitting than stop trying to be part of the group, you should try a different genre

>that's what i've been saying
Well you also said that rap is only half music, which I disagree with. I don't really think there's such a thing as "half music." It's either music or it's not.

Other than that, I suppose we're on the same page.

Awful grammar.

Good sentiment.

>Young Thug
>Frank Ocean
>Not JoeyBadass

>intelecualize

>thinking Joey Badass is a viable contender

nice faggot, instead of debating the main point, let's argue the unimportant part of my post, which you clearly can understand despite the typo, SEMANTICS BRAHHHH so fucking lame man

I'm not intellectualizing hip-hop
I'm explaining why it's barely even music

holy shit I haven't seen a namefag this mad since CLT and crazyaga used to post here.

even gayer, how in the world do you have the idea that you can convince anyone to not like something they think sounds dope? fuck do you think you are?

I said it's half music because an equal amount of stress is usually placed on the meaning of what a rapper is saying as how it sounds when he says it even though the meaning should judged as literature instead of music

damn right im mad, you all need to stop trying to be part of the cool kid group and listening to something you don't get, you typed who are lazy listeners have fucked up the genre because you don't know shit, i am mad as fuck that you peons lowered the bar for someone to do something i love, stop the facade you fool

I never said it was bad or that people shouldn't like it
>fuck do you think you are?
newfag

Did you forget unty?

dude, your lingo doesn't change the fact that you spend time typing long ass posts on Sup Forums about why people shouldn't do things they like, so yeah whatever call me a "newfag"

>placed
Chill the fuck out bruh. It's ok to challenge something you disagree with. I think Real Tedy is on some bullshit right now, but at least civil and semi-intelligent about his ideas.

Sorry, getting tired and random words keep getting quoted in my posts.
Also meant to say "...but at least *he's* civil and semi-intelligent about his ideas."

>about why people shouldn't do things they like
this has not even for a second been my argument.
I've been arguing that the meaning of song lyrics should not be taken into account when judging music, because the meanings of words don't contribute any musical elements.

>geniuses

your right, my bad, but the sentiment remains the same, i hate this movement to verbalize to such an exhaustingly wordy way this genre, just let it be. it's not the kind of music you can go that deep into unless you are trying to, the technical qualities of it are minimal, which is fine, just appreciate it or not, fuck it

Nice try.