Ask a guy who just finished living in Japan for 3 years anything

Ask a guy who just finished living in Japan for 3 years anything.

Pic related: It's a Family Mart (FAMAREE MARTERUU in Japanese)

What were you doing there

Did you sample the natives?

You know what I'm talking about

I was in the Navy (US)

Check'd, and yes many of them.

OP here I've also traveled most of Asia between India and 'stralia. If anyone wants to know shit about that.

Cool, where did you live? Can you get by without knowing Japanese? Did you learn Japanese?

I lived in Yokosuka which is a good hour or so train ride south from Tokyo. Yeah you can get by without speakin Jap but if you learn it it will help A LOT especially with women. I learned a few words and phrases, can understand more than I could say.

are a lot of japs as xenophobic as I hear?

Oh yeah. The whole "polite" thing is there but its purely a cultural thing. A decent amount of people still don't like westerners at all. But it's still safe as fuck to live there because the Japanese are super non-confrontational. I had a few incidents with Japs in clubs but thats about it.

How is the cost of living? What do Japs (and you) usually do for fun after work?

I'm thinking of visiting there for Tokyo 2020 then staying for a while after.

It can get pretty pricey but if you're cool with living in a small place like I did it's not a problem and you can find good food for pretty cheap (My apartment was only 109 sq ft).

After work over there the thing to do is drink. It's the only time the Japanese will shed their robot-like attitudes and actually be fun. Its custom over there for business dudes to go get fucking smashed with their bosses damn near every day after work.

Also you don't need a car if you don't want to. Between Trains, Buses and Taxis you can get fucking anywhere. Shits always on time too its crazy.

Thanks for the info mate

No prob man. Overall, great place to come visit for a while. Takes a certain kinda dude to wanna live there though.

scale of 1-10 how much was it like neo tokyo

There are a select few parts of Tokyo that are SUPA KAWAII ANIME. The rest is Starbucks, McShits and your typical mindless consumerism like every other 1st world country.

But to answer your question the parts of the city that are themed that way are usually a good 6-10/10.

Although on nice mornings when the sun is coming up Japan is A E S T H E T I C as fuck.

Would you stay longer ? Maybe settle down for a bit?

Right now, no. I need some time to get the Military outta me before I did that. But maybe down the road it would be a better place to live as a Civilian. I love weed though so prob won't live there again.

Is that society dead/doomed? Everything I have read about japan makes it seem like there will be no more Japanese people in 100 years, and that the culture is just sort of rotting away. Like they have a whole other tier of societal problems than the rest of the world. In your view, is that true?