youtube.com/watch?v=Xl1thlIGcEI
youtube.com/watch?v=oWfg7zpMY1I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pavement great band

WZ > BTC > CRCR > TT > S&E

no way.

BTC>S&E>WZ>CR,CR>TT

Did you mean

No. I'm mad each time I hear the outtakes, B-sides and radio sessions on the deluxe edition because you can see they could have come up with a much better and varied album.
The final product sound like the whole band became addicted to Xanax at the time. They should have kept the original version of The Hexx on the record among other things. Also Date with IKEA is Spiral's worst song and downright terrible.
That said, Stereo is pure fun and it's a solid and pleasant album overall.

>Date with IKEA
i like it

>Also Date with IKEA is Spiral's worst song and downright terrible

what the FUCK

Compared to Painted Soliders, Kennel District or Two States, yeah it sucks, and I understand why Stephen didn't want to put any Spiral's track on TT (even though The Preston School of Industry was great and Stephen was an annoying smug bully during Pavement's last days)

Explains why Terror Twilight sounds like a Stephen Malkmus solo album.

Is this a rhetorical question ?
All the songs on TT were composed by Malkmus unlike the previous albums. Bar the Nigel Godrich production, it sounds almost like this first solo effort. Hell, he even used the same chords on Jenny and the Ess-Dog and Spit on a Stranger. Not to mention Stephen started doing solo shows in 1998/1999.
>tfw you will never listen to anything from those shows in good quality because Terror Twilight: Farewell Horizontal Edition will never come out.

I like this album a lot but I get worn out by it pretty quickly. Everything sounds too smooth. It's too mellow sometimes and the sons run together a little bit. there's something about the guitar tone on all the tracks that makes the whole thing sound too homogeneous or something.

It has some of my favorite lyrics of their whole discography though. Also it has one of the best b-sides youtube.com/watch?v=FkNXadRAij8

also the spiral songs on this are the trash. Spiral has an annoying affectation that I hear on even the songs of his I like but the ones on this album annoy me the most.

wowee zowee is the best btw

>tfw you will never listen to anything from those shows in good quality because Terror Twilight: Farewell Horizontal Edition will never come out.

it will definitely have to come out if they do another reunion tour. also the fact that it osunds like a malkmus solo album makes it the worst. There are always a few songs I like off of each of his solo albums but there's something corny and hipster-y about all of them that I don't like. It's a dumb way for me to phrase it but I don't really know what it is.

favourite from the album

youtube.com/watch?v=STsmjFXtil4

Two States fucking sucks. Worst song on S&E

Accurate

reminder stephen malkmus thought wowee zowee would propel them to fame and songs like rattled by the rush would be hits but he was just stoned out of his mind

its their best album though. how do you know he thought it was goin to be their breakthrough

i'm not slating it, it's what gives it it's charm

and i'm partly joking but in the slow century docu he mentions how he thought rattled by rush and father to a sister of a thought would be hits but was just totally stoned, pretty funny

That's sadly a very ridiculous thought. I like Pavement a lot, but there's no way that could have happened.
They really sucked live. Stephen barely even tried giving some effort to the perfomance most of the time. He couldn't just expect to become famous over good songs if he wasn't going to play them properly in front of crowds.

yeah it's like he thought he was to cool to put effort in

CRCR already propelled them to fame.

>Stephen barely even tried giving some effort to the performance
No shit it's pavement

youtube.com/watch?v=sVQ5lvuthqs

for instance, here's a rare video of stephen not looking bored, maybe he's drunk here and that helps, or maybe now the band is finished there and he doesn't have a guitar in his hand he's not playing the cool slacker lead guy anymore, but the performance has a kind of energy you don't really get that much

It seems that he's more of an active person when playing with the Jicks. When you look at their videos there are way more chances to find him doing a better show.
I think he never liked carrying the weight of Pavement, seems to me like he saw a responsibility that he didn't want to take care of.

this is from their last tour but I always thought this sounded good

youtube.com/watch?v=Xl1thlIGcEI

the videos form their reunion shows are pretty shit though

the hbo stuff they also did late in their career is really good too

>I think he never liked carrying the weight of Pavement, seems to me like he saw a responsibility that he didn't want to take care of.
yeah, this too

>I think he never liked carrying the weight of Pavement, seems to me like he saw a responsibility that he didn't want to take care of.
not sure where you guys are getting this from to me steve seems like the kind of guy that likes the spotlight and did a lot of things to draw attention to himself

youtube.com/watch?v=oWfg7zpMY1I

>the videos form their reunion shows are pretty shit though
yeah they're all wack, like they're just going through the motions and don't really want to be there, they should have really stayed in the 90s but was a paycheck i guess

Mark Ibold said in a couple of interviews that SM was sorta disappointed by his bandmates during that time because of their lack of technical proficiency, and they felt they were holding him back.
And it's true that the Jicks are better musicians, but there isn't the same kind of magic on their albums than there was with the sloppier but more authentic gang of childhood friends that was basically Pavement.

Real Emotional Trash is nice because they have gone full prog rock on that one and the songs have room for improvisation, and I also love his first solo record, which I think was supposed to be the next Pavement record after TT, but the rest is very underwhelming.
Whatever, as long as SM can get enough money to be comfortable and take care of his daughters, it's good by me.
It seems like he is a really cool guy to drink spritzers and smoke weed with, but I'm pretty sure he can be fucking annoying with his half-veiled smugness and attitude sometimes if you know him more intimately.

Yes, he does like attention, but not work. He's the one true slacker.

>and I also love his first solo record
that fucking album cover

Yeah, I saw them in 2010 and I was expecting daft improvisations like they admittedly did back in the Wowee Zowee days, but they were playing their stuff pretty safely, as if you were listening to their greatest hits at home.
But they still played Fight This Generation and Two States pretty differently, and those were the best part of the show.

Who wrote the guitar lead on Summer Babe. That soloey part is the greatest thing Pavement wrote.

not sure malkmus i guess but yeah it's beautiful

Whats the best way to get Malkmus's early tone like on their first 3 albums. Its just the right amount of angsty crunch and feelsy clean tone.