Did anyone of you guys get to see lord of the rings at the cinema when it first came out ? What was it like...

Did anyone of you guys get to see lord of the rings at the cinema when it first came out ? What was it like? had you guys read the books before hand or did you come into the cinema without any pre existent information?
What were you expecting if you hadn't read the books ?
what was the atmosphere like in the theatre. Did many people dress up ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RMInqyumZ3I
youtube.com/watch?v=2H4Q_aA4QiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ZCQ53pWxDcE
m.youtube.com/watch?v=EfoU0R2v1Io
youtube.com/watch?v=zi8CUdK3HY0
youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1422943/J-R-R-Tolkiens-grandson-cut-off-from-literary-inheritance.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

saw all the movies in the cinema when they first came out, i was 10 years old for FotR.
it was a magical experience, cant really say it any other way.
nothing has come close to it since then.
i was so hyped for the hobbit movies creating kind of the same feeling for 3 years, but we all know how that went...

It might have been if it were two movies.

Yup. Born in 96 so was to young for lotr. Got them on DVD and VHS later and thought they were awesome. Was super exited for the hobbit which turned out to be "meh"

The theater was so packed for The Two Towers that people were sitting on the steps and in the entrance way. It was still a great experience as a kid.

This, I was around the same age and had read the books a year or so before. I was so goddamned hyped and it was just incredible at the cinema.

Two Towers was amazing too, especially seeing the battle for Helm's Deep on the big screen. Fuck.

Unfortunately I did not see Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movie trilogy at my local cinema theater when it first came out

Never read the books so no expectations. Packed house, nobody dressed up. Never heard a cheer in the theater as loud as when Aragorn cut off Lurtz' head.

i really feel sorry for the generations that were too young to see it back then, condolences man.
i genuinely get sad when i think about what we had with LotR and then compare it to teens today. what do they have, trash like the hunger games?

LotR has had a huge impact on my life, I wouldn't wanna miss it.

'82 reporting in. I watch FotR more than five times in cinema - even went back later when there was a showing inclusive of a TT trailer. Had read the books at least 3 times before films dropped. By RotK I d lost some enthusiasm - the battles didnt engage me as much and I hated how they handled denethor's death. He should have burned on the pyre, mad and despairing.

Didn't get to see FOTR in theatres. I don't even think I knew what LOTR was at the time. Saw it later and was there first day for the next two.

I saw it with my uncles in theater. I remember having trouble breathing during that scene where they were lighting those logs on fire as a relay to let the people from far away know shit was going down. I think it just made me nervous like i was flying.

I think I had read the Hobbit and was halfway through Towers when FotR was released. I can not imagine a bigger hype than what I felt for an entire year waiting for Helms Deep to happen.

In hindsight, I'm kinda impressed with myself for reading LotR at age 10/11.

Yes, got to see all of the on opening night. Did an in theater marathon of extended Fellowship and Two Towers before RotK at midnight.
I also so Fellowship once during its original run while in New Zealand and got to see some locations while there.

>Did anyone of you guys get to see lord of the rings at the cinema when it first came out ?

Yes because I'm not an underaged generation Z babby like you.

>What was it like?

Hella fuck*in epik

Read the books beforehand, my friend from class hadn't.

My family and his family watched the Two Towers together in the cinema, the atmosphere was great.

>halfway break
>in the lobby they have a miniature replica of helms deep, complete with orks and shit
>spend half an hour whining about pleb fucks that need a break while envisioning the battle about to take place on the small model

>Never heard a cheer in the theater as loud as when Aragorn cut off Lurtz' head.

Lol Americucks actually do this? this shit would've ruined the experience for me, luckily I live in a civilized country where people keep quiet during films.

I remember almost shitting my pants at the Siege of Barad-Dur scene at the beginning of FotR. I had never seen anything like that, and so many movies try to emulate that scene and none have even come close.

I saw all three in theatres, and I saw RotK on opening night because My brother was old enough to drive at that point.

Fucking magical movies. The music, the sets, the creature designs, the casting - all superb.

When fellowship came out there was hype like no other, huge queues of people wearing fancy dress to the first few showings. Amazingly the film lived up to and exceeded the hype. I was a young teen and I saw the film 3 times.

instead of being a dick towards younger people you could maybe try to relay to them how you felt back then in an empathetic way and thus try to positively influence their lifes.

>Did anyone of you guys get to see lord of the rings at the cinema when it first came out?

Yup, I was there, 11 years old when Fellowship came out.

>What was it like?

They were basically the greatest movie experiences of the my life. I can vividly remember watching the opening intro for Fellowship and knew that I was watching something special.

>Had you guys read the books before hand or did you come into the cinema without any pre existent information?

I had read the Hobbit as a kid, and even watched the old animated Hobbit film. I started reading Lord of the Rings in middle school right around the time Fellowship came out, the damn library was my sanctuary at that time. So yes and no, I had some information going into the movies. More so for Two Towers and Return of the King.

>What was the atmosphere like in the theatre.

I guess it wasn't anything unlike a big movie premiere night nowadays. I kind of remember towards the end of Fellowship there was a kind of collective, "That's it? GIVE MORE!" feel around the theater when it started fading out from Frodo and Sam heading to Mordor. Battle of Helms Deep was pretty epic in theater. And the ending(s) of Return of the King kept everyone on edge because you didn't know which fade to black would be the end. But once you saw them sailing off to the Undying lands, you just knew.

>Did many people dress up ?

I honestly can't recall that well. I remember there being a lot of people dressed up for Harry Potter premieres, but for some reason I don't remember that much for LotR.

I was 8 watching it with my mom I ended up crying during the battle because I thought they were going to lose

Fuck I was a pussy and my mom still brings it up when I mention I like the lord of the rings

>dat jump with spider

Almost shit my pants

Sorry but anyone who was too little to see LOTR in the cinema when it came out should leave this site.

just realized that the Bilbo jumpscare scene in Rivendell probably was the first jumpscare experience of my life. fuck me.

I was lucky, my sister got me early into reading, she taught me to read in kindergarten and she was a huge Tolkien fan so she had all the books. I read them shortly before the movies came out when I was 10. I remember the moment in the cinema before the Two Towers started I wondered If I could take this movie because the book was pretty violent for my 10 year old self. Had the best time though, still think it's one of the best examples of how to respectfully adapt source material

>Hearing that soundtrack over those massive speakers.
youtu.be/RMInqyumZ3I

It was Canada.

>Canacucks actually believe they are different from Americucks

feels bad man. Always wish I could've seen them in theatres. Makes me genuine sad not having had as an epic trilogy for "my" generation. Harry Potter doesn't come close to me. Wasn't that much of a fan of Harry either way.

youtube.com/watch?v=2H4Q_aA4QiQ
>in theater, fighting back the tears during that scene so to not look weak in front of my buddies
>peak left and right
>all my buddies are visibly fighting the tears as well

I remember first hearing about Lord of the Rings being made into movies on CNN. I had no idea what the hell Lord of the Rings was. Come to find out it was related to the Hobbit which I was a fan of the Rankin/Bass cartoon. So this excited me and I went to the library and checked out Lord of the Rings, read it, fell in love with it, and I've been a big Tolkien fan ever since. It was nice going into the movies having knowledge of the source material goi

I saw this with my dad when I was 11 and the audience also cheered when Lurch was beheaded. UK here.

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields is unironically the most intense experience I've had in theatres. It was loud, emotional, and non-stop. The crowd at all three of the showings I saw of RotK cheered when the Rohirrim charged to.

I feel like the movie going experience was different back then though.

I must have been 10 at the time they came out. Went an saw all of them with my dad who was very big into Tolkien. I even tried to read his copies he had from the 70's when he read them. I couldn't manage to get through them fully till I was a bit older.

I did. I was around 14. I watched all three of them in this tiny new theater they built in the small town I grew up in. It sat about 40 people, so it was closer to a really nice home theater. There was never more than 3 or 4 other people in the theater each time I watched. Cheap snacks, free refills, and the crab legs weren't bad either. Max comfy. It's too bad, it closed shortly after RotK. I didn't appreciate how cool it was until after it was gone.

Does anyone else feel like this is the scariest place depicted in the movies?
Moria felt oppressive and scary. We get a glimpse of whats going on in Barad-Dur, Mordor as a whole, and Isengard and the narrative also enters all of those places, and they're appaling. But Minas Morgul is different. Alle we get to see is it's walls from a distance and that creepy green light. And still you immediately know that entering this place would probably drive anyone insane.

The Dark Knight was a good cinema experience. When the truck got flipped I remember everybody gasping

Well thanks a bunch Sup Forums. Here I am at work trying to process orders and choking back tears thinking of being a teenager and watching Gandalf face off the the Balrog, Borimir pledging to Aragorn, Theoden's last stand at Helm's Deep, Samwise's speech at the end of Two Towers and so many more incredible moments. I take antidepressants and I wasn't ready for this much emotion today.

yeah, minas morgul was more of a psychological terror-type place that almost controlled your mind, as opposed to places like mordor that are just full o' evil orcs and shit, as well as the oppressing eye.
minas morgul is a bit special.

I saw Fellowship and Return
desu I was a little young to appreciate Fellowship but Return of the King was GOAT as a 13-14 year old. Especially the battle scenes with Theoden

>he didn't speculate endlessly on theonering.net before the releases
Sorry babyfigs.

Can any movie series within the last 10 years match it?

>you will never see ancalagon the black in a theatre

badass gargoyles though

We also had the Matrix movies and the Star Wars prequels, even though in retrospect the second two Matrix movies sucked and so did the prequels. At least as theater experiences they were pretty cool

youtube.com/watch?v=ZCQ53pWxDcE

That empty feeling you're left with knowing that it's all over

Fellowship and Return yes. The opening of Fellowship was mindblowing. Saw it during the day a few weeks into the run, so the theatre was far from full, but when that first bass peal shook the room everyone just sat back in their seats with huge boners sticking out.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=EfoU0R2v1Io

The song with the portraits gets me. Makes me want to start the trilogy all over again.

no.
are there even any serious choices?
the only movie series from the last 10 years i can think of are:
Nolan Batman
Harry Potter, although it started way earlier than 10 years ago i think?
The Hunger Games (kek)
Twilight (kek)

I'd declare you insane if you'd compare any of those to LotR

I've seen all three of them,my grandfather took me to see them,he was a massive,and I mean MASSIVE Tolkien fan.

speaking of grandparents.
does anybody here have a relative/friend who met Tolkien or knows someone who met him?

Into the West is one of the best songs ever for me. Harmony, melody, lyrics, very simple but evocative. And it's part of this tearjerker moment when I noticed LotR was over. GOAT.

I love how this is almost universally considered as the best scene in movie history.

Saw it with my mom at a local cinema
Nobody dressed up
Nobody was hyped
Nobody knew who tolkien was
We thought the movie was kinda boring
Never saw the other two
Still got into dnd about 8 years later

>tfw you missed the Howard Shore hosted (with full orchestra) showing in New York w/ the full trilogy

>no friends to sperg about tolkien to
life is suffering

i was 11 when fellowship released and i saw it in a theatre. It was magical and had me hooked.
I still remember how disappointed i was when it ended because i had no idea it was a trilogy. I bought the books afterwards and read them before the second one released

I did, it was pretty good and I was hyped as fuck. All of my friends hadn't read the books, but me and a few other autismos did. The atmosphere was casual like, small town single screen cinema in Italy, so no cosplayers and shiet.

Reshowings and triple features are pretty common with lotr though, i still go see the complete trilogy in a theatre every few years

I read the books before it came out, the atmosphere was great, I expected that they'll fuck it up, it was great, no one dressed up

Haven't seen any of that stuff in Sweden where Im from though :(

>ywn live in a comfy hobbit hole

I watched them at home on 700mb disks and it was still magical as fuck. I only saw Return of the King in cinema and it was a bad experience because of all the normieshits in the audience trying to speak like Smeagol every time he was on screen.

Also I'm marathoning the extended versions this Sunday.

I saw Two Towers and RotK in the cinema.
It's actually the only time I've seen RotK, I've re-watched the others a couple of times. Maybe I should get to that one as well.

>see Fellowship opening weekend with little brother
>even though I read the books and he didn't we're both hyped as hell
>movie is great, we love it
>little brother is so hyped by the end of the movie he literally faints when Aragorn chops off Lurtzs head

good times

I was so fucking excited. Been waiting for those movies for 20 years.

Blew me away. There never had been such movies before. Tnis is how people must have felt watching Star Wars in the 70s.

I was 12 when FotR was released and it blew my mind. I had seen the trailer for it only about a month before when my mom took me to see Harry Potter. I had never read the books and wasn't even aware of them until I got to school the following week. I couldn't really follow the books when I was that young, but they have grown on me a lot since then.

Heard of but had not read the books, but was interested in FotR. Experience blew me completely away. TTT, damn near had an eargasm from
youtube.com/watch?v=zi8CUdK3HY0
30 seconds in still gives me shivers up my spine.
TotK, people actually clapped at the end AND most of them stayed until the end of the credits; neither don't usually happen in my country (UK).

And then the extended versions came out. They completed the movies for me, making them perfect. I still watch them every year around Christmas, though I do have a slight regret in not being able to enjoy the EE on the big screen.

How would you make a Silmarillion movie (or movies)?
as if there ever will be one

Theoden's speech, lifted almost word-for-word from the book, really propels it to that status.

Are you me??!??

RotK was the only one I saw in theaters, better than nothing I guess

95 here I saw Fellowship and King in Theaters and Twins on dvd before King. That shit blew my mind most of the scenes and songs were burned into my child brain I have never witnessed anything so good after Sauron starts crumbling and explodes along with Mt. Doom.

Saw every one in theater. Was 18 for Fellowship. Read the books in grade school. Teacher loved the series. We would dress up as the characters in school and act scenes out. When going to the movies everybody was dressed up. I miss them days. Recent years have been shit

no one desu
Peter Jackson will forever have a spot in my heart, but he lost my trust with The Hobbit

dunno, am i?

I went with my cousins to all three. It's one of those memories that still comes up in almost all family reunions.

Was the menu line actually in the books?

Yes, but it was "cuisine lexicon" because Tolkien had class.

I saw the second one at the cinema after getting the VHS of the first one gifted to my by my uncle.

When the third one came out we went to the trilogy marathon together, which was my best cinema experience so far.

but it wasn't his fault, user
youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk

this video is so sad. you can see his despair.

If given the right circumstances like LOTR he could do Silmarillion just fine

christopher tolkien would never let him

I wish he would die sooner

>91 years old
soon enough

i saw the types who were out there looking like they just got fired from the renaissance fair, got kicked out of weight watchers, and were on the sex offender database.

i said nope, and went home. mostly because i saw the sign that said NO SINGLETONS, NO EXCEPTIONS. NO OUTSIDE FOODS OR DRINK, WE ARE OUT OF CRABLEGS.

I burned the movie theater to the ground in my imagination as i waited for a ride back to my moms house to eat tendies in my footie pajamas, drink chocky milks and cry.

He'll never complain or whine about another thing ever again, sounds nice

Went to the theater for all three as a kid. The lines just got progressively more insane. Only time I've ever been in a line that literally came all the way through the theater front door and still had like 100 people standing outside.

Never heard so much cheering and crowd interaction before in a movie. Every high and low in the movie was echoed by gasps, laughs, and cheers.

The return of the king fucked up in my theater and we had to sit there for like 30 minutes just to get the movie running again. Literally EVERYONE waited, nobody left

>disowned his grandson for liking the movies
what a pleb

Lol I didn't hear about that, will the rights pass onto his grandson when he dies? Sounds promising if so.

apparently not.
also it was his son, tolkien's grandson. got mixed up
telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1422943/J-R-R-Tolkiens-grandson-cut-off-from-literary-inheritance.html

don't be silly, the silmarillion spans hundreds (thousands)? of years with a shit load more characters and plots than LOTR.

could take small sections of it and make them into solid movies, like the children of hurin, I knwo people said LOTR was unfilmable but the silmarillion is a whole other level.

it would be ten+ movies at least.....TOLKIEN CINEMATIC UNIVERSE DO IT PETER!!!!!!!!

Lel he'd never want to see his grandson(s) anyway, what a bitter old man. Who would the rights go to?

Didn't see it in theaters but I can still remember watching it for the first time.

>be me
>10 years old
>see a clip from The Two Towers on a making of documentary for T2
>get curious
>ask my dad to rent it for me
>comes home with a DVD of Fellowship of the Ring
>"the guy at the counter said it was really good so I bought it", he says
>watch it late into the night

It was alright senpai.

the three major stories i think could actually be turned into movies are the children of hurin, the fall of gondolin and the lay of luthien.
everything else, especially all the stuff involving the valar, isn't really filmable. too abstract and weird, with no singular purpose/conflict.
>battle of sudden flame in the theatre
fuck, i really want it.

Never saw them at the cinema, I ignored them for years and I only knew them due to the "They're taking the hobbits to isengard" meme.
Finally sat down one rainy day when I had nothing to do and watched the first. Holy shit I was blown away. Watched and rewatched multiple times since then.
I read the books after that.

And here's my unpopular opinion:
Lotr (movies) > The Hobbit (book) > Lotr (book) >>> What the fuck where the Hobbit movies?

I know it's an heresy for many, but Lotr is literally the only serie I consider better than the books.

I was 19 when Fellowship hit theaters, watched 'em all opening nights in massive crowds with friends. Magical times indeed.

Pushed myself through reading the Trilogy in middle school, after The Hobbit in sixth grade. My meganerd crew got really pissy about accuracy and details, fortunately we lost all our late teens over-expectation and self importance by the time they were all out.

Would love to see the extended in theaters again.