As opening day approaches, Feig can’t help but think about the stakes of making a $150 million movie...

>As opening day approaches, Feig can’t help but think about the stakes of making a $150 million movie. “A movie like this has to at least get to like $500 million worldwide, and that’s probably low,” he says.

>“But the thing I care about most is the industry looking for an excuse to say, ‘See, a tentpole can’t be carried by female leads’” — three of whom are over 40. “I cashed in all my chips,” he says. “I had to use every chip to make this happen. And if this doesn’t work, I will probably have to go back to movie jail.”
vulture.com/2016/07/paul-feig-ghostbusters-reboot-c-v-r.html

>Worldwide: $79,611,903
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ghostbusters2016.htm

We did it bros.

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/news/ghostbusters-budget-cut-fox-execs-789896
variety.com/2016/film/news/mattel-strong-ghostbusters-toy-sales-1201820557/
cinemablend.com/new/Joss-Whedon-Offers-Jurassic-World-An-All-Star-Non-Apology-Calling-It-Sexist-70876.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>“I cashed in all my chips,” he says. “I had to use every chip to make this happen. And if this doesn’t work, I will probably have to go back to movie jail.”

Why is foreign box office not updating? It was at 18 million like a week ago.

Embarrassment

It's only done once a week iirc

i always thought SJW shit would never be pushed because in the end corporations only care about shekels, which means you have to pander to the majority.

i guess i was wrong, corporate leaders are much dumber than i thought.

there is a god

We did it?

If you just ignored it and let it die it would have made even less money.

No. No. No. Thats thinking like a hothead. You need to play a 5th dimensional chess with them.

>I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope. So, as I terrorize Gotham, I will feed its people hope to poison their souls. I will let them believe they can survive so that you can watch them clamoring over each other to "stay in the sun." You can watch me torture an entire city and when you have truly understood the depth of your failure, we will fulfill Ra's al Ghul's destiny... We will destroy Gotham and then, when it is done and Gotham is ashes, then you have my permission to die

The opening weekend, those 50m where the hope we fed to them. Now we take it back.

Reddit you aren't "we" or even Sup Forums
you're Sup Forumseddit only

>5th dimensional chess

>We did it bros.
despite what you and the twitter/blogosphere/SJWmedia want to believe, this whole fiasco means fuck all in the big picture
simply put, 'normies' are the ones who choose not to see this
you want to feel like you achieved something and the SJWs need someone to blame, both of you are just getting upset over internet to shit like this while it's just another tuesday out there

>yfw 300 million worldwide, losing Sony 100-200 million.

>300m
Not without china. Its making 200m worldwide tops.

>JUSTbusters
>not GhostJUSTers

>Make a movie with female leads
>This is somehow new
>Don't make the movie good, just make sure it has women
>this is an accomplishment

>it's real

ouch

SONY ON SUICIDE WATCH

maybe he'll make freaks and geeks 2 now

>Star Trek Beyond and Ice Age Collision Course this weekend
>Jason Bourne next weekend
>Suicide Squad weekend after that

It'll be gone from most cinemas this time next week, mark my words.

There are dozens of us!

hollywoodreporter.com/news/ghostbusters-budget-cut-fox-execs-789896

On the financial front, Rothman already has managed to tighten the budget on Paul Feig's all-female Ghostbusters, planned for July 2016, without any apparent bloodshed (despite earlier friction with Feig when the director made The Heat at Fox). The Ghostbusters price tag when greenlit by Pascal was a hefty $169 million, with rich deals for talent, including $14 million for Melissa McCarthy and north of $10 million for Feig. Rothman couldn't do anything about those fees, but sources say Feig made tweaks to the script to reduce the cost to $154 million — just a few million above Rothman's target of $150 million.

>greenlit by Pascal was a hefty $169 million,

What a fucking retard.

That genuinely makes me glad.

>They will blame the film's failure on Rothman's budget cuts

O-our perfect form of Ghostbusters has never actually been tried!

Last I knew, it's already stopped showing at the theaters near me, just because literally no one is buying tickets and it's just wasting theater space.

>Most expensive scene shot in the film is cut completely because test audience hates it
>Trailer +600,000 dislikes on youtube
>Weak af opening weekend

Can't believe there are still people who honestly think it was all "mysoginist manbabies", and not simply the fact that the film looked shit to anybody who wasn't a raging SJW with an agenda in supporting it.

How can movie executives be so blatantly incompetent?

> I will probably have to go back to movie jail
when was the first time he went to movie jail and why didn't he learn from his prior mistakes?

Don't get happy now you misogynist brobabbiez, the toys are selling amazingly from girls AND boys!

variety.com/2016/film/news/mattel-strong-ghostbusters-toy-sales-1201820557/

80 million is pretty damned impressive for one week.

Not really.

It has 2 weeks already.

not with a 144 million budget and equally expensive marketing budget.

It would break even at about 300 mill. It needs more to make it worth and significantly more to justify a sequal

if they doing so well, why are those toys are at clearance at target?

>amazingly
>exceeding expectations
Those are not linked you know.
Anyone with an iq above 70 would have so fucking bottom of the barrel expectations for those sales that even being able to sell one of them would be "exceeding expectations".

Sexism

>Movie bombs
>B-But the toys are doing kinda well!

If they fail at the box office, nothing else matters.

What do you think they cut? alien ghosts?

Why do they keep talking as if female leads in blockbusters is rare? I don't get it.

Just in the last few years you've had Star Wars, 4 Hunger games movies, 3 Divergent movies, Lucy, Salt, Tomb Raider (twice), Gravity, Wonder Woman in just a little while. And that's just action off the top of my head.

>last few years
>tomb raider
I've got some bad news for you, bro.

There was also Edge of Tomorrow.

does Jurassic World count, or was a feminine and strong willed protagonist too triggering for feminists?

Smart move. Good thing he didn't cut about 10 -20 mill more or trim the marketing or else we might have a sequal threat

>yfw Secret Life of Pets was out a week before Ghostbusters and still beat it on Ghostbusters' opening weekend
>yfw Secret Life of Pets has grossed over a QUARTER BILLION in two weeks

It doesn't count because they need an underdog supported only by their movement. This inevitably led to the endorsement of bad quality movies.

> the industry looking for an excuse to say, ‘See, a tentpole can’t be carried by female leads’”

I bet he knows that his movie is utter and complete shit and he deliberately made it absolute shit, only to be able to say that everybody disliking it hates women.

>make a couple of shit movies with women as leads
>people dislike those movies because they're shit
>couple of millions in losses
>"You don't like them because the leads are female!"
>people try their best to be as liberal as possible because everything is hatespeech and you don't want to be on the political right, do you?
>Hollywood shits out the cheapest movies ever made with a female cast and people watch them to "make up" for disliking Ghostbusters 2016
>hundreds of millions in profit margin

There you go. This is our future.

Uh...you might want to look back to when the trailer for that came out. They made a slight ruckus because the female lead was seen as old fashion and frigid rich woman and gawking at what's his name's muscles.
Even Joss Whedon got in on it. This was before the Feminists and SJWs turned on him.

All of those movies star young and attractive women. What they want are fat, black, gay 40 somethings running around. They also don't want a male lead period. Maybe a male who is weak or comic relief but wants to fuck the ugly lead by the end.

Maybe, the only reason this one is doing 80 mill thus far is because of it's name. They will need to bomb some other franchises

The issue I see with this is, people don't vote with their wallet. They'll talk shit online, retweet/like/share whatever progressive agenda they feel like following and projecting, but when they need to put their own money down, they shy away.

It doesn't matter what narrative you are trying to push, with movie tickets reaching almost $20 for general admissions, people won't show up.

Bridesmaids was good, Spy was fantastic. Even that female buddy comedy of his wasn't bad. I've seen most of Feig's movies and Ghostbusters is literally his worst one.

The movie starts off so strong and then falls off a fucking cliff. The end is fucking torture. If he would've made a rock solid movie it would've made a billion, baby men or no. He fucked up bad by making a bad movie and the studio fucked up bad for making shitty ass trailers that made people livid.

You are a fucking liar because Joss Sweden got turned on long before the GB trailer, even the teaser came out

A hostile in your face marketing campaign is what really put me against this project personally. Granted I was a little shocked by it being all female but I eventually became pretty natural to it until I saw feig sperging about

>Spy was fantastic.

Neutral not natural

GB? But isn't that guy talking about JW?

>he didn't see the extended cut
Stick to capeshit and videogames, Sup Forumsedditor

I'm reasonably sure the $500m number Feig stated isn't a break even number but more of a "propel this into a series" number.

I don't agree with "fantastic", but it was a genuinely good movie.

I remember this. He called it sexist and started a bunch of shit and it turned out his claims were totally off base.
user is referring to this: cinemablend.com/new/Joss-Whedon-Offers-Jurassic-World-An-All-Star-Non-Apology-Calling-It-Sexist-70876.html
Read thoroughly before you post.

>immediate memes
Boy, you sure convinced me.
It was alright. It wasn't fantastic or great.

>The movie starts off so strong
really?? i don't remember a strong beginning, just being incredibly bored from start to finish

You're talking to someone who just labeled Spy as fantastic.

>anybody who wasn't a raging SJW with an agenda

IE SEXIST MISOGYNST PISSBABY SHITLORDS

FALL IN LINE WITH THE SJW FASCISTS OR ELSE

I really had fun with Spy, Melissa McCarthy did really well in the movie, I got even more surprised with Jason Statham doing a comedy movie, where he's not the big hotshot.

The reason why so many people say Spy was goo or they liked Spy is because the entire film is Melissa McCarthy bumbling around and doing one lines back to back to back and all the other characters are just there so she can play off their straight lines. I wouldn't be surprised if you like Kevin Hart movies either. He does the same thing.

Well, you can't say Feig wasn't warned.
Especially about the international reception, which to date, has been pretty poor.

Given the Ghostbusters film had no real audience beyond WOMYN was this really unexpected?

Feig got drunk on his own success. What the article fails to mention is Feig's earlier films (Bridesmaids, The Heat, Spy) were all films with a fairly low budget to begin with ($40-60M) that overperformed (around $220M).

Now if each of these films had the same budget as Ghostbusters remake ($150M) and did similar numbers ($200-220M) would Hollywood have given him the green light for the reboot?

Probably not.

I don't know that anyone thinks it was "all" because of the fedora brigade. I think most, at least inwardly, realize this was a weak movie released against stronger competition, they just like to point at neckbeards making Le Gorilla Woman threads to distract from the failure.

>I really had fun with Spy
Neck yourself, cuck

post your top 10 pleb

The adults are speaking.

>bridesmaids
>good
Either you are a beta cuck or a woman.
That movie was fucking awful on all levels.

>thought people were memeing about theaters not showing it
>check my local showtimes

keek. there's usually way more showings here.

>You can't enjoy something that I don't do so that means you are a cuck for having a taste different from mine

Do you feel happy with yourself by trying to sound so right and important enough to judge the other people's opinion until only yours is the right choice?

>We did it bros.

What did you do? Cry a lot?

But there is an audience for that kind of movie, a big one, I don't really like melissa mccarthy but I can see why she appeals to some people in those sort of movies, those movies like Spy achieve what they set out to even if they are aiming low.

Ghostbusters is just a trainwreck of a movie.

"Good" isn't a strong word. I'd go so far as to say it was good. Keep saying "cuck" some more, mental midget.

>2011 before the reddit and pleb invasion
>bridesmaids is alright check it out

>2016 3 years well into the pleb reddit invasion
>ITS SHIT y-y-you cuck!!
yikes

fuck off paul

>pretending to be an oldfriend

i only watched it because of this board my newfreind

It would be for the sort of budget comedy Feig made his name doing, but not for a bigger-budget tentpole like this.

Setting aside the memes, Feig basically tried to make the same kind of movie he did before - a comedy largely aimed at women with a female-led cast. Bridesmaids, The Heat, and Spy all did that and has budgets well under $100M. He made the same type of movie again here, but the budget was massively larger, and he didn't successfully build his demographic - women who liked his comedies might not see it because it's a genre film and a reboot, and Ghostbusters fans won't see it because it's a reboot and looked terrible.

So Feig ends up with a demographic of similar size (at best) to see the movie, but that will get him about ~$250M if his previous three movies are an indicator, and that's well under what he needs to be profitable.

>le reddit boogeyman
Cry more faggot. Sup Forums is mainstream for years now.

>fat black gay 40somethinfs
Well, McCarthy is fat, Jones is black, McKinnon is gay and Wiig is 42, so progress?

>watching that shit
>calling anybody else a reddit

oh wow

>Cucked by a Paul feig movie.
Disgusting.

then why did you and 99% of this board only start posting on Sup Forums in the last 3 or so years?

> 99% of this board
CURRENT userbase of this board*

Just cause your first post was 3 years ago doesn't mean it's applicable to everyone here.
Bridesmaids was always shit. I thought so when it released and still think the same.