/trek/ - Star Trek general

Hello there, Trekkies -- Let's talk Trek! How many of you are planning to see STAR TREK BEYOND, opening in US theaters today, Friday July 22, 2016?

How many have seen STAR TREK BEYOND already? Favorite characters? Moments? Scenes?

RIP Anton, we still miss u buddy.

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalreview.com/article/438185/star-trek-beyond-cinema-comfort-food?target=author&tid=1152026
independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/star-trek-beyond-jennifer-lawrence-inspired-new-character-jaylah-simon-pegg-reveals-a7138331.html
dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3701537/There-s-no-replacing-JJ-Abrams-says-tragic-Anton-Yelchin-s-Star-Trek-character-Chekov-not-recast.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do they ever explain that interstellar travel is now obsolete because they now have the technology to go anywhere in the universe instantly?

Can't tell if this is a shitpost, a shillpost, a sincere idiot, or what. But I enjoyed it. Like a TOS episode in movie form. Pretty much everything about the antagonists was not nearly fleshed out or logical enough, but still a fun movie senpai

It's shit.

nationalreview.com/article/438185/star-trek-beyond-cinema-comfort-food?target=author&tid=1152026

Explain.

I saw it last night. I liked it.
>favorite characters
Jaylah is actually really cool.
>moments
The entire first 10-15 minutes were fucking amazing. Really gave off a classic Trek vibe. A lot of the visuals and makeup were gorgeous, too.
>scenes
Like I said, the intro was really cool. Captain's log, showing them flying through space, drinking with Bones, etc.

It wasn't as shit as Into Darkness, but it was still pretty shit.

In into dorkness totally not Khan uses a transporter to go from earth to the Klingon ho.eworld. basically making starships pointless.

Thought the idea of uncharted space still would require someone in a ship to go out and get the coordinates.

In the theater right this minute waiting for Beyond

Oh yeah, transwarp beaming...

Well, as you rightly point out, they still need to map the frontier first. But realistically long enough range sensor arrays would render that moot.

Starships would still be useful as back up for transported crew, but again, the logical progression is that the technology would invalidate and replace warp drives.

Bendydick Khanagain only stole the tech from section 31, Scotty still knows how to do it. They've written the tech out except as plot device, but it makes no sense to do so.

Does Kirk ever mention to Krall that they both like the Beastie Boys? Do they ever start bonding over their shared appreciation for Sabotage?

>We're not so different, you and I. I regret that we meet in this way. You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend. I can't stand it, I know you planned it, I'm gonna set it straight, this watergate. Goodbye.

Going to see this in a few minutes, what should I expect? How hot is Sofia Boutella?

They modeled her character after Jennifer Lawrence, so I hope you like girls that are Just Like Us.

I refuse to believe this.

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/star-trek-beyond-jennifer-lawrence-inspired-new-character-jaylah-simon-pegg-reveals-a7138331.html

cool translation

They got the idea for her name via "JLaw", they didn't "model" her after Jennifer Lawrence.

Thank GOD

It's a very fun movie, got all the good aspects of a summer blockbuster while still being what Star Trek should be about.

Bones is still the best character, they finally gave him the screentime he deserves. Though a lot of the crew felt like they lacked presence or screentime, they still contributed and they really nailed the sense of "unity" that the crew had.

I can't ever take his reviews seriously.

Fucking should have been about war with the klingon empire.

They're gonna make 3 or 4 more of these films, so we have plenty of time for the Klingons

why?

>JJ Abrams confirms that Chekov will not be recasted for Star Trek 4
>Also confirms that George Kirk will return

dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3701537/There-s-no-replacing-JJ-Abrams-says-tragic-Anton-Yelchin-s-Star-Trek-character-Chekov-not-recast.html

>it's a time travel episode

I doubt it. The Khan movie is probably as far as they will go in regards to retreading old storylines. It would not surprise me if they completely avoid bringing back any classic elements from the old movies or shows going forward.

Of course it is for him, it's got generally positive reception from most critics.

It was dope

i saw it last night for the midnight premiere

it was really good but i did like the other two so w/e

She's nice to look at AND is very entertaining.

Does Abrams have any say in these any more?

Beyond wasn't bad. No transwarp beaming. Definitely the most trek-feeling of the reboots.

>QT crab head alien girl dies

This soured me on the rest of the film, mates.

>No transwarp beaming
I'm actually sad.
Nu-Trek creates a technology that could make these reboots truly unique and they waste it.

Just came Back from seeing this, wasn't so bad. Bones had a lot of annoying quips though

Horse shit.

Just so we're clear... that was her vagina, right? She hid the thing in her space crab vagina?

I'm liking the Enterprise-A

It would replace the Enterprise with a little laboratory in San Francisco where they beam probes to potentially interesting planets and anomalies. Cool fucking concept, but it's not remotely Trek.

I liked how the 2009 ship turned out in Beyond. They slimmer down the pylons and neck, lengthened the engineering hull, swept the pylons back instead of forward. It's a nice look. Then they basically go back to how it was before for the A.

So... every Star Trek movie goes BAD-GOOD-BAD-GOOD(etc). We're back in track to GOOD now

Spock Prime use Scotty Prime's equation to beam Kirk and Scotty onto the JJ Enterprise?
Is that not Transwarp beaming?

Yeah but they didn't go back to the pre STB Design. It's similar, but the layout is different. Longer secondary hull, wider apart nacelles, no covers over bussard collectors. The nacelles are still positioned wrong, but aside from that it looks more like the TOS Enterprise than Ryan Church's did.

Yeah. True enough. If they brought the nacelles forward along the pylons, it'd look right at home. It's a little weird as-is. I guess they might tweak the design by 2020 or whenever the next film comes out.

>mfw the new Enterprise A had the same red stripes on the sides as the TOS Enterprise

When I read the leaks I thought, "guess what the refit will look like", an homage to pic related.

I suppose there will have been three or so seasons of the new Star Trek series by then too. I wonder how that'll colour our perceptions of the films.

Beyond saved the Nu-Trek series desu

It still sacrificed depth for action, but it was easily the most Trek of the three films and also served as a good away mission movie.

I went to the cinema for this and I paid for this.

Best star trek movie. Felt like an episode of star trek.

Yes! Out of all the Star Trek films, only this and (pic related) are the only ones without a scene on Earth or it's solar system.

Is JJ lense flare coming back to direct IV?

I really hope not, Pegg wrote Beyond like a proper Trek movie and Justin Linn did a good job directing.

They should have had future-Spock use transwarp beaming to get them back onto the ship, but not explain it to anyone and swear Kirk and Scotty to secrecy, explain it as 'ur not ready for X technology' or 'muh timeline disruptions', however they liked. Just don't have anyone but him know how to do it.

Just giving something like that to Starfleet was dumb, it's too powerful a plot device. And Khan didn't even need to use it, he's a fucking supersoldier, he could have captured a ship in orbit single handed and fled to Qonos the old fashioned way.

At least if they don't mention it, I can pretend that's what happened.

I could never understand that scene.
Bathing in particles of facial hair is not romantic.

just saw it today
when they were rescuing the crew
did anyone else notice yellow shirt qt behind Sulu?

Bad guy was lame as fuck

>Directed by Jonathan Frakes

JJ Abrams with a proper Trek script by Pegg could be a great combo

Star Trek Insurrection, at the time, was pretty well received with Star Trek fans. However does anyone really care about Insurrection? It's fine, but it is hard to believe it had a bigger budget than First Contact. Insurrection is just kind of there, it is more like a TV movie than anything and for a lot of TNG fans that was fine. No one really vehemently hates it, or loves it. It just is.

I liked the beginning where it really felt like the TV series.
But it turned to shit during the second act.

It was good.

I think the Yorktown Station's design was a little too much. Some graphic artists' masturbatory fantasy.

Just saw it.

Liked it quite a bit. Better than Into Darkness. Not as good as Star Trek (2009) though.

The relationships between the characters were the best part of it. I also like that they're making the crew seem like a really varied group, with all kinds of weird aliens, the alien designs in this were pretty cool actually.

As others said, felt a little like a stand alone Trek episode, which is a good thing in my opinion. A little too much in the way of explosions, and jumping off things for my liking, but I guess that's just how they're going to be doing things in the films now.

My only gripe is them using the 'radio disruption' at the end to blow up Krall's fleet. I get that the signal could disrupt the fleet and paralyse it, that makes sense, them all blowing up just seemed unnecessary though. Felt more like some Exec said "We need more explosions for the finale."

That might work.I just hope they don't revert to Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman

>yellow shirt qt behind Sulu

There was a surprising amount of eye candy in the Enterprises crew in this one. The opening section when Kirk talks about the long time in deep space affecting relationships actually started me thinking that the crew all seemed a little bit too young and attractive. Maybe I was just being distracted and not paying enough attention, but would have been nice to see some older crew kicking around the Enterprise.

>>There-s-no-replacing-JJ-Abrams-says-tragic-Anton-Yelchin
How do you get to bizarro Daily Mail?

Orci and Kurtzmann are now in charge of Universal's Monster Universe

Whaever happened to short hair blonde qt? She was missing.

it's the future
presumably older people are going to look younger and old people in Star Fleet are usually at bases or sometimes Captains
don't forget, a few years ago, most of Star Fleet spacers got wiped out

I just saw this, it was awesome. Loved it. Much better than that Khan shit.

It was an excellent Trek film.

yeh dis gon b epic guise i cant wait 4 teh new one

i ope dey maek anover scene whre captn listens 2 classic rock while drivng a hvercar dat has de exact saem chasis as a thunderbird hurrrrrr.

They explain it in Into Darkness. Starfleet confiscated and banned use of any of the trans-wap beaming devices.

The Federation is actually pretty good in NOT using future tech whenever it gets access to it.

wow, Franklin is TINY

He said like 30 some of his crew remained? how many people can that thing hold.

>ITT: 100% shilling

>when people talk about things i don't like it's shilling

>yfw Chekov gets replaced by these niggas

yeah, but the secret faction had access to and used it
thanks to the increased conflict in this timeline, new 23rd century, their weapon technology is on par with that of the early 25th century... at least according to STO

there were like 3 or so transports
so, around 60 people, but super cramped

>Science Area, where they make the sciences.

No I mean the captain of the Franklin in his last log said that he only had 30 of her crew remain.

Did I mishear that? What's that ships compliment?

I like that it's exactly the same plot as Guardians of the Galaxy

Abrams has never made a good movie. His shots are either entirely boring or gimmicks.

yeah, i think you did
i heard "only 3 surviving crew" in the log
him, the girl, and the other guy
everyone else was robots

>STAR TREK BEYOND, opening in US theaters today, Friday July 22, 2016?
It's the best movie of the summer goyim

>him, the girl, and the other guy
>everyone else was robots
robots? what girl?

>what girl?

The girl who tricked them into going into the Nebula in the first place. Her, Krall and Mannis (sp?) were the only actual people there. All of Krall's troops with the glowing green visors were robots. "Drone workers" I think he describes them as in the video log. That's why you never see any of them taking any of their armor off, and why they're willing to crash their ships into stuff without questioning orders.

ohhhh, well that makes fucking sense now. how come I didnt notice that?

I forgot about the girl, and I honestly thought I saw those dudes unmask or something. They didnt seem to act like robots.

What else did he reveal? How did he stay young? what technology did he steal? I just heard something about him finding old mining equipment.

So, its the Jem'Hadar, right? or is it the Gorn? TELL ME.

GOD DAMMIT. FUCKING HACKS.

>72289850
agreed. Abrams cant direct action on his own without a good second unit team, but Ill be damned if he doesnt know how to make a pretty shot.

shit, son, get your act together
he basically said every answer to your questions
him and his crew crash landed on that planet
it's previous inhabitants left behind drones for mining, a device to extend life, and information about a super weapon they split and launched into space

Saw it last night at midnight with my friend. Both long time Trekkers since kids, but I grew up on TOS reruns n he grew up on TNG. We both hated Into Darkness but loved the 09 reboot. We had low expectations but were just hoping for better than Insurrection. Very surprised with how good it was. I'll have to see it again to see if it holds up, but I think this might be the best Trek film since Undiscovered Country which happens to be my favorite (though Wrath is undoubtedly a better film)

ok, that's what I remember. I thought there was more.

Im still dumbfounded about the whole crew was a robot thing. I thought most of those drone ships were automated.

wait, why was that chick speaking an alien language? was she the original crew member of the Franklin?

>So, its the Jem'Hadar, right? or is it the Gorn? TELL ME.

Nope. It's the crew of a Starfleet vessel from the 2160's, that guy Krall is actually a Human who used to be a military commander turned Captain when the Federation was created. He was disgusted by how their former enemies are now supposed to be their allies and he hates the Federation.
They sent him to test-drive the Warp 4 engine but things went wrong and they crash-landed in the Nebula and the Federation abandoned them which fueled his hate even more. On the planet they found some Alien tech that enhances your life-span, that's why they all look like Aliens now instead of Humans.

I'm going to be watching Star Trek for the first time and from what i can gather i'll be watching it in this order.

TOS
TAS
first 6 movies
TNG
7th movie
DS9
VOY
ENT
movies 11, 12 and 13

Here's my problem
I don't know where movies 8-10 fit in.
Can you help me Sup Forums?
Should i change anything in my watching order?

cheers to absent friends.

Just intersperse 8 - 10 according to the dates they came out and what series was on at the time.

Captain, the pleb readings are off the charts!

oh, thats interesting

>For Anton

I think I saw her amongst the prisoners when they started beaming them out. She had a different hair style, It may have been someone else.

Haha, this is brilliant, and entirely relatable too.

Really don't get how people are finding this movie good, it had a billion problems with it.

Wait, what? In JJverse the First Contact wasn't made in 2163?

they were in the unknown region for like 100 years
so, they learned whatever was local or made it up
they spoke that language to fool Star Fleet into thinking they were actual aliens