What form of athleticism do they possess?

what form of athleticism do they possess?

Other urls found in this thread:

faculty.washington.edu/chudler/java/redgreen.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Great reflexes, spatial awareness, and balls of steel knowing that one bad crash could end their life. And I'm not pulling that out of my ass; even though I think the sport is stupid not everyone can consistently drive that fast without some above-average ability

Strong wrists to turn left

Ability to hold piss for 3 hours

10 of those machines are almost strong enough to tow your mom's fat ass a few feet.

Rude

faculty.washington.edu/chudler/java/redgreen.html
take this reaction test
now imagine doing that every 2 seconds for 3 hours without a break, and if you mess up it's all over

>faculty.washington.edu/chudler/java/redgreen.html

what's a good reaction time?

I got .3136 average and I wasn't even trying, could probably get it down to sub .3 in a few tries. Just wondering how I stack up to everyone else in my old age

I got an average of 0.23

Key word I think you missed: athleticism.

0.2732 for me

Not so much athletic, but those cars routinely get up to 130-140 degree Fahrenheit.

Try driving 200 mph for 3 or 4 hours while being in that heat, all while being inches form each other.

They statistically have higher endurance than Baseball and Football players, and many are constantly in the gym during their off months to stay fit for it.

This too. Jimmie Johnson and others are always doing triathlons.

The fat, redneck stereotype of older drivers doesn't hold up anymore.

Then define athleticism. I gave some mental examples, and gave a physical one.

It takes a considerable amount of strength stamina to muscle these cars against the lateral g's for hours on end. They are athletes. Saying otherwise is ignorant. The best drivers in the series are fit.

This isn't driving your shitbox Honda down the street to McDonalds.

I really want to find the cool infograph I saw of it once and it had good sources.

>that feel when you realize a driver like Jimmy Spencer would never make it in modern NASCAR

Being a driver doesn't make you an athlete. But most good drivers are athletic.

I say that as a racing fan, and I'll debate anyone for hours on racing being a sport. But look at guys like Tony Stewart. You don't have to be an athlete to succeed in racing.

beat this consistency

Driving isn't a feat of athletics, it's a feat of skill.

You can talk all you want about heat, g-forces, whatever, but none of that shit makes you an "athlete" because anybody can adapt to those conditions over time.

What people can't do, however, is compete at the top levels in a racing series the way the NASCAR / F1 / Super V-8 series drivers do.

pretty much this.
also consider the fact that these races take place in 100degree+ temps in direct sunlight for 3-4 hours. they are also have to wear a firesuit and helmet and the car isnt air conditioned. they arent by any means top athletes, but they have to be athletic to survive.

and this is why Tony is retiring (along with his complete mental breakdown that's been happening for the past 3 or so years)

he can't compete with the other guys in the sport anymore. there was a time when to be a great driver, you just had to have the will to do it. It's why guys like Earnhardt, Cale, Pearson, Petty, and more recently, Tony were able to succeed. Now you have to have so many things. You need to physically be at the top of your game, otherwise by the end of a race you won't be able to keep up (something I've noticed about Tony is how much he fades at the end lately even when he's had a good run for the majority of the race), mentally you have to be sharp (as I said before, Tony's mentally has been questionable at best in recent years) and just so many other things.

It's not your daddy's NASCAR anymore...which is fine, because there will always be the Saturday Night Shootouts if you want good grass roots racing...just don't expect anymore in NASCAR.

Endurance to keep highest level concentration under 5x gravitational force for 3 hours.

>Amerislows

>clicking rapidly
cheating

I heard they sweat a few pounds of water in each race.

Kek

About as athletic as professional dart throwers

You heard it here first: sitting in a sauna makes you an athlete.

they got huge balls

rev matching and heel toeing during [cool vibrations]