Fuzzy opaque themes

>fuzzy opaque themes
>no clear plot
>subplots devoid of meaning
>majority of scenes make no sense and have no direction
>no overarching plotlines
>no definitive beginning or end

What is it with these art house films that make absolutely no fucking sense?

Why are they trying to hard to become cult films?

Who actually enjoys them?

Why is "you have to make what you want out of it" allowed?

If you enjoyed one of these two films or both or others like these, please explain why. I genuinely want to hear a reason other than "not all movies need a plot maaan"

>DURR I'M A RETARD WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND CINEMA
Go back to wherever the fuck you came from.

I liked the humor, atmosphere and performances of Inherent Vice.

>only God forgives
>no plot

Are you retarded?

people that smoke weed and just want visuals.

i mean they're good movies to just put music on and have the movie in the background, fuck your girl...

MUH PAINT BY COLOR MOVIES

MUH SIMPLE NARRATIVE

There is NO PLOT, but you don't need to spoon feed me, just look it up yourself, m8. It's all sizzle no steak.

The Pusher trilogy has a very clear plot. Not that it is required or anything, you 're just a massive pleb.

He really is m8.

Only god forgives has a very clear plot and you have to be a stupid fucking pleb capeshitter to miss it

I liked Inherent Vice for the atmosphere, characters and trying to follow the plot.

Didn't like Only Good Forgives that much, but atleast it was damn pretty.

Designated Marveldrone Thread

I just don't think you understand art. Stop looking for plot/symbols/motifs/messages/whatever. Take everything at surface value and let the absurdity of it impact you however you want. You'll find it can provide you with a lot of different sensations - these films can wash over you one moment, only to slap you in the face the next. They're more like music or poetry than traditional films.

There's a plot...are you fucking stupid? Did you think it was a serious of random scenes put together and just ended? ARE YOU FUCKING DUMB?

I really don't get what's so hard to understand about Only God Forgives. It's just a simple crime/revenge movie. Except it runs at turtle pace and it's nice to look at. There's nothing confusing about it.

But OGF made perfect sense, what the fuck is your problem? It had a plot, it was your fault that you couldn't follow it.

>has to be spelt out or I don't get it

Are these the same autistic people who also unironically tell others to go back to CoD when someone attacks their infinitely sophisticated minecraft?

No wonder critics shat on it, I bet they are very much like OP.

You might understand this films if you watch them without playing with your toys at the same time

This nonsense is so inorganic to any sense of globetrotter restlessness or anything explicitly or metaphorically to do with British or American colonialism that it just feels derivative. That Kubrickian scene in Drive of dead-eyed strippers watching an assault gets extended here in a more elaborate whorehouse sequence where catatonic hookers bear mute witness to instances of police corruption. Refn’s tableau of organdy-gowned call-girls listening to pop while watching violence in a bouquet-bedecked whorehouse is the ultimate David Lynch parody.

Gosling and Refn have art ambitions–a strange sense of fun. But how can film culture progress with fantasies like this? There’s no shock or outrage left. Refn relies upon a level of menace (unerotic, non-provocative) that precludes caring about or responding to violence, vulnerability, mortality. This is cinema for unsophisticated viewers who don’t already know Bunuel’s eye-slashing, Altman’s Coke bottle assault or Shakespeare/Julie Taymor’s Titus. Children of Kubrick, Friedkin, Lynch and Tarantino, they remain infantile about movies.

>comparing Inherent Vice to a kino

what movie is that on the right?

I got Inherent Vice in my first watch.

Basically there's a drug conspiracy that makes a lot of profit, drug arrests create rehab clinics and dentists (due to heroin), but both the dentists and the rehab clinic try to dope their pacients so they will always depend on those two. Doc saves Coy and Shasta from this world basically. I'm currently reading the novel, the ending is different and many of the scenes can be explained if you read the novel (which is very good btw).

Vampires: The Turning

I rewatched OGF the other day. Parts of it were messy, but it was stylish as hell. Same with The Neon Demon. Refn is very good at making attractive shots and building a striking aesthetic and atmosphere. He mostly needs to work on his characters and stories.

Red starring Bruce Willis and Morgan Freeman

>He mostly needs to work on his characters and stories.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

have you even watched pusher nigga?

>here comes the refn internet defense force

Fuck off, retard.

Bump

>inherent vice is confusing guys

lol no shit thats the point

they make perfect sense, but ice age 5 is that way

Try watching them sometime.

There he is.

You have to go back.

honestly from reading your terrible criticism I think you just aren't smart enough to watch these movies

just stop bumping this shit thread

Inherent Vice has a pefectly clear plot, meaning and themes and every scene has a point. It's just told in a way that's hard to follow the first time around on purpose.

A drug dealing rapist is murdered, his mother kills the killer, a cop looks for them, and the other brother tries to stop the cop before turning himself in. how is that not a plot?

but Inherent Vice has all those things you big dummy. It's not really comparable to OGF in any way.