The American South is highly underrated in terms of cultural output...

The American South is highly underrated in terms of cultural output. I'd argue that it's one of the only places in America that truly created its own unique culture.
Shit like bluegrass, country, jazz, and blues originated in the South.
What movies do you think give a good portrayal of the South?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Hugh_O'Connor
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The (((Thing))) 1982 and (((They))) Live 1988 by John Carpenter

redneck trailertrash family orgy hootnanny part 4

The Thing, what?
Haven't seen They Live yet
>>>/reddit/

(((They))) tried to snub (((They))) Live.

John Carpenter was much more obvious with his second film than his first which was why it is an underground cult classic. Find it and watch it.

>a good portrayal of the South

It's shit, but there have been good movies made about how shitty it is.

At Close Range
Slingblade
The Straight Story
Blood Simple
Winter's Bone
Badlands

what do these movies have to do with the south?

> thread about the South

> DUDE JEWS

I live on the South. People here are DUMB. Dumber than the rest of the United States. A church every 10 feet, people would rather believe Alex Jones than a medical doctor, ghetto trash and rednecks combined. I will say the girls are hot and the food is good though.

>Ben Garrison

Every fucking time.

The area with the most Black people creates the most culture.
Makes sense/

why you gotta be so penisy?

They are more important than that

He should be the one playing Jesse Custer on Preacher, I don't understand how AMC could fuck the series so badly both in script and casting.

>I live on the South. People here are DUMB. Dumber than the rest of the United States. A church every 10 feet, people would rather believe Alex Jones than a medical doctor, ghetto trash and rednecks combined. I will say the girls are hot and the food is good though.

Fish out of water story would work well here.

Some Yank is in Mississippi for some reason.
Bangs hot Southern chick.
Gets beat up.

Ongoing theme is Atheism's place in a world of theists. Nihilism vs Religious order. Then finally the hipocrisy of both sides (Southern debauchery and the Yank's reaction to it).

do you think amc has the money to get him ?

the casting is ok besides tulip

At Close Range set in Pennsylvania
Badlands set in Nebraska

Hud
The Last Picture Show
Macon County Line
Deliverance
In the Heat of the Night
Cool Hand Luke

George Washington. It's one of my all time favorites.

DGG was supposed to be the chosen one.

Even Winter's Bone didn't feel like the south. Just some poverty stricken bumfuck nowhere community.

I was reading about this case recently:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Hugh_O'Connor

>The death of Hugh O'Connor took place on September 20, 1967. O'Connor, a Canadian television journalist, was filming a coal miner at his rented house in Jeremiah, Letcher County, Kentucky. Hobart Ison, the property owner, arrived and told O'Connor and his crew to leave. Hobart then shot and killed O'Connor. Journalists and filmmakers had descended upon Appalachia in the late 1960s to document the living conditions during the War on Poverty. This offended many residents, who objected to stereotyping and criticism by outsiders, as well as the tendency to show only the poor side of Appalachia.[1]

>show only the poor side of Appalachia.[1]

kek

>In 2000, the incident was the subject of a documentary by Elizabeth Barret called Stranger with a Camera, which aired on the PBS series P.O.V..[2]

>The weapon Ison used to kill O'Connor was a 1904 .38-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver. It was used again in 2003 when a housekeeper killed a teenager in a dispute over a house fire. The almost antique pistol had been in a safety deposit box, until its owner had removed it in the hope of selling it to Elizabeth Barret for her documentary.[7]

The South is synonymous with white trash/rednecks. Same thing. If you want Southern landscape over Southern people and personalities then look at a fucking picture book.

>when a housekeeper killed a teenager in a dispute over a house fire

This is all kinds of strange

Mattewan
Harlan County USA
Streetcar Named Desire
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

The Princess and the Frog

Cat on a hot tin is one of the greatest kinos ever.

Not what you're thinking of, but Bernie (2011) is an excellent portrayal of small town southern culture.

Faggot