Did Tony love Christopher?

Did Tony love Christopher?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sZIWL-Nrwvw
youtube.com/watch?v=1re5cGlP-Xg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tony is incapable of actual love. He's a sociopath who only seeks his own gratification at the expense of those around him.

/thread

Tony didn't even fucking love Carmela. He only loves himself

Dr. Melfi, please.

He loved 'gool, ice cream, and money

I think this is true with the exception of his children, I feel like he genuinely cares about them even if he is a complete cunt and sociopath in every other regard.

Yes, at one point Tony loved Christopher and it was reciprocated. Tony put all of his trust in Christopher to lead the family into the 21st century (even though they were already in the 21st century but that's irrelevant). But the relationship became permanently frayed when Christopher was forced to give up Adrianna and Tony had her killed. From that point forward, there was no saving their bond. Tony still put his faith in Christopher to be the "top guy" so Tony could retire, but the camaraderie became forced and their interactions became more tense. It was obvious. Then in "Kaisha", Christopher fucks the real estate saleswoman which Tony had eyes on, and lied about it. This really pissed Tony off so he wrote off Christopher professionally from that point forward, instead moving onto Bobby as the top guy. Christopher bristled under this resentment and stopped coming around the Bing and Satriallie's, instead focusing his energies on "Cleaver". "Cleaver" was a subconscious airing of Christopher's grievances towards Tony on the silver screen. This was a great humiliation to Tony and a massive blow to his ego (You can see how this effects Tony during his therapy session in "Stage Five"; He is practically weeping to Melfi over Christopher). From that point forward, Christopher could die and Tony wouldn't bat an eyelid. Then the car accident, which would have killed Christopher's little girl. This was the final straw, so Tony finally got rid of, in his opinion, the biggest liability he's ever had.

True.

The scene where Tony saves AJ from suicide, as well as his later talk with Melfi, showed how much he really loved AJ.

I think Tony was capable of loving people, but only in a paternalistic, superior way. He cared about his children and animals, and he could sometimes care about people as his inferiors.

But Tony is incapable of loving people as equals or respecting them as individuals

Even when he did care about Christopher, it was a skewed way

Was it a mercy killing?

One of my favorite scenes is when Tony is at the Pork Store after AJ's suicide attempt. He thinks they're all gonna give him shit but they're actually very understanding and sympathetic. It mirrors the season 1 finale when he tells them he's in therapy.

False. He only "loved" them from a perspective of ownership. They are "his" children, like North Jersey is "his territory."

He doesn't have to love him, but he will respect him.

Is this a shoop or something

It stands to reason Christopher could have survived if he immediately went to the hospital. His lungs were punctured and he probably had a bad concussion, but that's it.

Good analysis

The fact that Tony was incapable of respecting Chris's sobriety or struggle with alcoholism didn't help

Tony is threatened by self-improvement. When people around him fix their lives (Janice going into anger management, Chris getting sober, Tony B. getting a legitimate job), he tries to drag them down

He doesn't want to believe change is possible, because that carries with it the implication that he should change

Watch that scene again when Tony breaks into tears while cradling his son by the pool, and tell me that his love for AJ wasn't genuine.

I disagree, his kids are the only thing he loves that isnt himself.
youtube.com/watch?v=sZIWL-Nrwvw

I wasn't talking about the wounds on his body.

I was talking about the wounds in his soul.

I see that as a proud man who realizes he raised a complete beta dipshit, and will have to continue to shelter him in order to keep people from recognizing that.

Anyone here read Tony's Vicarious Patricide?

I don't see it that way. He at first flips into "Tony mode" yelling at AJ. Then he instantly realizes how horrible that is and completely changes to a nurturing figure. One of the two genuine acts of altruism Tony imparted to his son. The other is when Tony tries to tell AJ he shouldn't commit murder.

Partially true.

>"What's wrong with you!?"

That's the disappointment you mentioned.

>"You're alright, baby...you're alright, baby...you're alright...."

That's the love that I mentioned.

Tony's more calculating than that. His initial reaction is the honest one. Anything after that is just applying the psychotherapy Melfi provided to make him a more effective mob boss.

that scene is literally the only heroic thing Tony ever did. when he jumped into the pool with his suit, it was like a firefighter going into a burning building to save a shrieking baby.

>they were already in the 21st century
what did Christopher mean when he said that?

There's also a stark difference between his talk with the guys and his talk with Melfi.

With the guys, he tries to completely maintain his disappointed father image, wondering where he lost the kid in a frustrated tone, so as to not show any weakness to his crew.

With Melfi, he blames himself and his genes; He knows AJ inherited that shit from him, and he wants to make it everything alright for his son. He comes close to breaking into tears, and really shows his vulnerable side.

Good point, Mr. Type-A Personality might have had a heart attack after that 10 second trot.

>Captcha: Select all images with pasta or noodles

didn't he do a cannon ball? why?

>I oughta suffocate you you little prick!

Am I the only one a bit disappointed in how the therapy scenes came to an end? But maybe that disappointment is supposed to make us feel how Tony felt while in therapy. Waiting for a conclusion but never arriving to one.

Should I rewatch The Sopranos? or rewatch The Wire? or rewatch Mad Men?

I'm reading it right now.

the therapy scenes no longer served a purpose in the later seasons. the resolution to the storyline made reference to Melfi's ultimate uselessness to Tony's problems.
>it's an oasis of my life
Tony said this a couple times to Melfi's chagrin. She never really "got it".

the last 3 seasons of the Wire and then the Sopranos

Oh, but Tony DID come up with a great piece of insight in the last couple therapy sessions: youtube.com/watch?v=1re5cGlP-Xg

Melfi even admits how profound this statement is, but Tony instantly goes on the defensive and closes her off. It's sad because on some level, maybe they could have helped each other.

Not as much as he loved gabagool.

*sheds tear*
*wipes ass*

>that fucking scene
>that fucking shaking of the boat
>"CMOOOON YOU TOLD JOHN ABOUT THAT JOKE!
Paulie is the luckiest guy on the show by far.

You're talking about the boss here.

hey guys what episode should I watch?

not The Ride I already watched that one yesterday.

whats the meme behind the picture?
I used to see it spammed before I watched the series and don't remember what people put

>When I came to open up one morning, there you were with your head half in the toilet, your hair was in the toilet water... disgusting.

Favorite Buscemi death
I posted that picture a lot a few years ago

There are several times when Tony feels for people:

>Literally curb stomp someone for making a snide comment at his daughter.
>Cries and asks uncle june "don't you love me?"
>Loves melfi for years

I think Tony is just a little fucked up because of his mother

I just started season 4, did this show already peak or does it get better? When they kill pussy felt so realistic it still pops in my mind

Silvio was objectively the best character.

>I think Tony is just a little fucked up because of his mother
That is half right. His father had an even more devastating effect on Tony. They danced around it subtly because Tony refused to admit it, but it's there. Johnny Boy was a fucking asshole.

Tony never loved Melfi. He only wanted to fuck her and his "love" for her only stemmed from the fact that she listened to his insecurities when nobody else would.

4-6 is to me the show at its best. Things are coming to an end.

MIIIIIICHAEL

IS IT TRUUUUUUUE?

Last few episodes of season 6 are fantastic.

"No."

when he is in the Hospital dreaming, was he still a Soprano? if he was, didn't they hint that his dad died?
if so, then that proves that his dad had a huge impact on who he was as a man

I like to think AJ went on to be Trumps helicopter pilot and now works in Secret Service annoying everyone all the time.

Tip or i will do that to you mother fucker

Also when Janice went to anger management and made a total 180 on her personality only for Tony to talk about Harpo to set her off again.

>when he is in the Hospital dreaming, was he still a Soprano?
I believe he was still "Tony Soprano" in the coma parallel universe. Kevin Finnerty was the criminal whose identity he takes. I'll have to rewatch that episode to confirm that his dad died.

y-yes sir

What's your favorite Tony Soprano eating scene?

I love the one where he's scarfing sushi in the season 6 premier.

>Uncle Bens
>right after calling black jew a charcoal briquette
or
>eating with Paulie on the boat
>makes fun of his laugh

I like when he's trying to do the South Beach Diet after 9/11.

I liked the scene where he eats Gloria Trillo's cooch.

dunno lauce suace eh``???? fuego

lol that scene was great, and Tony couldn't even go two minutes without ordering another steak.

Well he killed him, so I'm guessing no.

It peaks at pine barrens.

Did Paulie love Nucci?

He was the son Tony wanted but didn't deserve

AJ was the son he deserved but did not want

I was watching the commentary on Long Term Parking about a months ago during one of my Sopranos re watches, in it Drea De Matteo states that Tony B was actually supposed to be in season 6 but, they (the writers) pretty much felt as though they had to kill him. What do you think Tony B's purpose would have been in Season 6? I would assume it would have to be starting the war between NY and NJ??

The main issue with season 5, I think, was Robert Loggia.

They obviously had a lot planned for him (you don't hire a man of that caliber and get rid of him after 5 episodes). But the poor old bastard couldn't remember his lines and this was a big problem on set, so they had to end his story early by sending him back to prison. I think they would have made Tony's transition to legitimacy (massage parlor with Mr. Kim) a lot more natural and have it spread out over the whole fifth season. THEN they would have Tony B. going back to the crime life in season 6.

There would of course be a season 7 that would have all the season 6 storylines.

>le melfi wasn't a quack meme
not this shit again

>Cries and asks uncle june "don't you love me?"

that had to be the single saddest moment in the show

>If you have to repeat something, why can't it be something good?!
and then Junior just starts crying.

They only really got into this in the episode where tony meets his dad's old mistress. I think the whole scene where Tony covers for his dad after Livia had that miscarriage was super telling about his character but it never really gets discussed that much.

what about when Tony witnesses his dad chopping off Mr. Satrialle's finger?

>Tony meets his Dad's Gooma

worst episode.

He let the little prick live for what 6 seasons? He fucking loved the guy, what other proof do you need?

what's up with the Yahoo mug?

She may have been a quack but that was some prime milf pussi

he was a junkie shit

>not Christopher
>not A Hit is a Hit

Eww.

Nasty.

You ain't wrong bro. I fucked her once in the stairwell of a parking lot, AMA.

How tight was her box?

fuck man, i just finished this show for the first time last month and every time i start thinking about it i want to start it back up again.

>that ending did things to me a show had never done before :(

Tighter than the uppity cunt I had to throw a bone in at work to win an award, I can tell you that much.

Worth it to have something to put on the resume though, y'know?

We're the vipers.

Bloody onion rings why?

Yeah. That's why.

The Members Only jacket guy in the final episode was clearly a relative of Eugene Pontecorvo. He obviously kills Tony Soprano in the diner in order to avenge Pontecorvo's suicide.

NOOOOOOO!

Shame, ain't it?

I LOVE this meme