This is their St. Anger moment, no?

This is their St. Anger moment, no?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bAdeXsyIvE4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i don't know much about metallica but i'm assuming from this post that st. anger is considered their peak

This album wouldn't be half bad if the production wasn't shit. I would consider the"Remember (Walking in the Sand)" cover better than the original if the production wasnt so shit. If this album had the same production as Still Cruisin 3 years earlier I would probally like it. youtube.com/watch?v=bAdeXsyIvE4 Somewhere near Japan for example is great off of Still cruisin

They had, like, three.

Not St. Anger moment really, more like their Chinese Democracy desu.

Basically everything post Love You is unlistenable bar the occasionally good song like Getcha Back

Aside from That's Why God Made the Radio, which was half shit (all the middle tracks) and half fantastic (first three tracks and last 4 tracks)

Nothing about this album has any coherence, especially the production. They just threw on every bad early 90s cliche in the book, from the water drop snare drums on Slow Summer Dancin' to the grunge guitar on Surfin' regardless of whether it fit the song or not. And if you thought Aerosmith mangled the Shangri-Las, you haven't seen anything yet.

This is an album that would make the Pope question the existence of God.

>doesn't contain sick kick drum work

nah

You didn't mention them trying to rap on Summer of Love.

SIP sold less than 10,000 copies and actually forced the distributor into bankruptcy. It has also never been reissued after the original printing. That's just how bad this album is.

Without Brian, I'm not sure you can really call this a Beach Boys album anyway. It would be like a Rolling Stones album with no Mick Jagger.

Fun fact: The Beach Boys' reunion tour in 2012 showed all of their album covers in the programs and on the video boards at the concerts...except Summer in Paradise. Yes, even Keepin' The Summer Alive got in there, but not this thing.

keepin the summer alive is objectively worse. idk why people hate summer in paradise more.

Ha ha, I guessed! Summer in Paradise is actually not bad. It has many ingredients of a catastrophe – and in terms of appreciation, that is what it certainly is. But this point of view can't see 1) a few really nice songs, 2) the relatively high quality of this album just because it is a Beach Boys album. Summer in Paradise is reminiscent of an imaginary whole album length version of Still Cruisin', and somehow of an updated version of 15 Big Ones too. But I like Big Ones, Still Cruisin' has its moments too, and so has Summer in Paradise as well. There is no need to deny that.
"Summer of Love" finds Mike Love rapping. Okay, it is quite ridiculous, and while the song has a certain charm, much of it is because it is funny (rather than just 'fun'). "Remember 'Walking in the Sand'" is evidently another loser, it is simply clumsy. Then there are new versions of "Surfin'" and "Forever", probably to express the loss of Dennis Wilson (dead) and Brian Wilson (gone solo). "Surfin'" is so much '80s/'90s AOR that you have to try hard to recognise the song. "Forever" is closer to the original, but that doesn't make it better because the fact that it is worse than the original is so evident.

But then there is "Island Fever." Yes, it is similar to "Kokomo", but who cares? I like it. The single "Hot Fun in the Summertime" is not bad either. "Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)" and especially "Lahaina Aloha" have a guaranteed high Beach Boys quality. The title track is similar to "Still Cruisin'", but worse; however, that still doesn't make it bad.

Summer in Paradise has sometimes been called a Mike Love solo album. That it is certainly not. Mike may be a dominant character and Brian is not around, but still the album features three original members of The Beach Boys (Mike, Carl Wilson and Alan Jardine), accompanied by yet another long time member (Bruce Johnston). If that is not enough, you have to claim the same about a million albums in the history of popular music.

Yeah they've airbrushed this one out of their history aside from the title track which has been played live occasionally over the years.

The grunge/metal riffs especially made no sense because the Beach Boys were never a hard rock act to begin with.

Jesus, how does an album under the beach boys name sell that badly only /3 years/ after they had a massive hit with Kokomo. That's some Greek tragedy level shit right there (SIP deserves it obviously but still). How do you follow up your biggest hit in decades by releasing an album literally no one bought?

It does all boil down to being Mike Love's fault since after Love You, he decided to abandon all the experimental sounds they'd been doing since the late 60s and go back to their 1961-66 sound, because that's what our fans really want to hear, right? Ha ha.

Uh yeah, maybe if you guys were still 23 instead of 40+.

Stars and Stripes Vol. 1 was worse, especially the Toby Keith cameo.

Yeah that album is an abortion on wheels slamming into a school bus full of kittens. SIP is just an abortion.

By making it so awful that nobody wanted to listen to it. Not even people who are actually into trash like "Kokomo" thought it was worth buying. That says a lot about how terrible it truly is.

Summer of Love was supposed to be a duet with Bart Simpson...thank God the Simpsons producers said no.

Yeah that was back when they had some integrity. If Mike Love wanted to duet with Bart Simpson in Season 25, you can be they wouldn't turn him down.