I'm having troubles to figure out who's right in the war between Uber and regular Taxi companies...

I'm having troubles to figure out who's right in the war between Uber and regular Taxi companies. So if anybody cares to explain?

In the US it should be uber. Free market capitalism should always win out over unions.

Who provides the better service?

Are there Uber taxi? Do they get hard time from the regular taxi drivers? Are they attacking them?

that kinda depends on the driver.

about a year ago, i got rid of my iphone in favor of a cheap flip phone, so i don't really use uber any more.

if i need public transportation and can afford to stand around for a while, i'll usually just take the bus/train or something depending on where i am and what's available.

Why don't I just start making hotdogs in my garage and sell them at football games?
Oh right, there's safety regulations.
Same thing for taxis- they have to have special permits and background checks by police. As well as have their vehicles inspected.
Uber is just random people and random vehicles that think they can avoid regulations.
I should just be able to put roof lights on my car and pull people over for speeding....

Look at wikipedia

Its a great idea, makes loads of money. Its buggy though.

Booked a cab and got a huge surcharge added within the hour, didnt get notified, paid 4 times the amount.

They refunded me but its a dirty concept.

taxi drivers are all pieces of shit

That's why I say use lyft. They do a background check and send someone out to do a vehicle inspection before you can become a driver for them. There is no reason why normal taxi services should rule the market. Uber does the same thing minus sending someone out to inspect the vehicle but they require you to send documents that the state require for driving.

The city usually only gives out so many permits to drive taxis. These cost money. Hell, the medallions in NYC are worth over a million dollars. This also limits the number of taxis on the road at any one time.

Uber circumvents this by saying it's "ride sharing", which is bullshit. They are breaking the law and should be shut down, or have to buy permits as well.

Uber is better it is the free market place taxis should Die

I think of it as innovation versus stagnation.

Fuck over priced taxis and their shitty service.

What do you say about these arguments?

It's the nature of the free market, when one competitor offers better service such as lyft and uber the established ones suffer and have to adjust their prices accordingly, imo the taxi companies had a bit of an oligopoly and ride sharing is just a better alternative, if taxi companies want to sell better they should make their rides more affordable and more pleasant, no one likes being driven around in a car that smells like curry and body odor

I'm not sure why it hasn't been shut down yet, I'm guessing a lot of stalling in courts and expense and such.

I also don't think Uber is a better service as some say. I rarely take taxis but have no complaints.

They're both greedy bastards. The difference is that Uber intends to take over the travel industry entirely and cabbies rip people off one sucker at a time.

It's nothing new.

The people sporting the old, crappier and less efficient business model bitch about the new guys who serve customers better.

Eventually, unless legislators come in between, the better service wins.

So in the long run: Uber.

I agree with you partially.

Indeed the taxi companies were really slow to get in on innovation. Smartphones have been out for a while, and traditional taxi companies are too lazy to buy services for an app to make me look at all the taxis in the area on a google maps overlay. Instead I have to call and do everything over the phone like it's 1997.

I have no idea what you mean with curry taxi though. In my country in europe the only taxi service that survived into the 00's before uber was expensive-looking mercedes taxis that are more or less exclusively used by businesses. As a result, taxi rides are too expensive for regular people driving themselves around. In the interest of having less cars on the road and less fossil fuel use, I'm all for uber/lyft type ridesharing. I also agree that the people driving for these companies need to be screened and held accountible.

In my country, the sole phone call for a taxi dispatcher costs almost as a transport itself. Fucking bastards.

Uber you can track your ride via gps, and the driver can know where you are too and you can pay with without cash or cards...and you know everything about your journey so they can't fuck you by taking you the "long way" even though they have tried to but I think it's less the case now.

GUYS noone is angry with Ubers idea. They are angry uber preys on poorer people and steals their profits, and that people who drive rarely pay appropriate taxes

Being an actual taxi driver requires registering and licensing from the state, so there's some legitimacy to it.

Any schmuck with a Prius can be an Uber driver.

If you want to be raped, scammed and racially abused, Uber is your option.

Which law? Also, we weren't discussing which one is in better legal standing, We're talking about "who's right."