/daily/ - No Thots Edition

We love no thots on GOD

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time. This community is so inclusive that even communists and fascists coexist!

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>templates/listenalong schedules
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/

>>discord
discord.gg/8exuEmG

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/archie-shepp/the-way-ahead-5/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/windy_and_carl/consciousness/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ігор-цимбровський/przyjdz-aniele/
youtu.be/pSgGCOHuO1U
youtu.be/ABc8ciT5QLs
youtu.be/MNKL9onYB_8
youtu.be/EwTZ2xpQwpA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Will probably dig into this new chart tomorrow after I finish up the one I'm on now. Which of these should hit my ears first?

SHEER
HELLISH
MIASMA

cosmic tones

why is Archie Shepp on there twice in a row?

will do!!

the first is The Way Ahead by Archie Shepp and the other is Consciousness by Windy & Carl. The latter was no doubt influenced by the former though, as they're extremely similar.

Funny you thought it was Shepp though, as Consciousness seems to be more popular:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/archie-shepp/the-way-ahead-5/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/windy_and_carl/consciousness/

Yarn - Yarn
>Ukranian Avant Folk

This album isn't actually inaccessible for avant-garde. The chord progressions and backing strings remain in place, and barely wander. The Ukranian singer's got a lot of reverb on her,

The recording is very iffy, but the unmistakable sounds of accordion introduces the album, with cello and some other instruments I can't quite recall. Perhaps a bukhalo or some other drum for percussion, a Bandura or Torban for that plucked sound, a bowed cello, and I can definitely hear a Tsymbaly. Unfortunately, no Trembita, which is one of the longest instruments in the world.

Because of these unique instruments, the album felt a lot like foreign Post Rock structured as Chamber Pop. Wait Till drones with minor chords, while Gorwedd Cerdded managed to a surreal pop rock song. Ty has the vocalist at her strongest, but the left and right mixing irked me. The closer was forgettable.

Not bad, not great. Can be hypnotic if you let your mind wander to it a bit, so I give it that. AND it's a bit rare, so I'm very glad to have this.

6/10

Brave Little Abacus - Masked Dancers: Concern In So Many Things You Forget Where You Are
>Midwest Emo, Math Rock

Emo is another genre I have very little experience in so I''m not going to write another pretentious review of this

But this was pretty good. A wee bit more stimulating than the other album.

I also like the singer's voice. I didn't like too much Punk/Emo because the singer always sounded like he needed a good deck in the face, but by exaggerating his voice so much it digs the singing out of that rut into "what is shame" land.

The production touch ups are pretty cool, the drums are top tier, and the guitars aren't intolerable.

"he never even existed in the first place" was stupid, I gotta say. And the other tracks with Akari samples skirt dangerously close to the same level of stupid. Why are they here i gotta ask

7/10

All Natural Level and Lime Flavors - Turning into Small
>dream pop, shoegaze

Actually it's not dream pop OR shoegaze, it's treading the middle ground right between them. The result is something that manages to do neither genre well.

The opener alone vocals somehow managed to sound less appealing than the last album's singer, probably because of how tentative they were. The word by word pronounciation also takes some time to grow on you. It improves as the album goes on, but not by much.

Puzzled Into Pieces and Lattershed actually take a psychedelic angle + electronics, which honestly works better for this band than on tracks like In Between and After. Emergency Turn Off and the closer also caught my ear after a few unmemorable tracks.

The RYM comments are laughable on this, btw. How, in any shape or form, is this like MBV when literally none of their songs are overwhelming in sound; I was turning up the volume on my player just to see if I was missing something, or if I downloaded a bad transcode.

Fiddling with an equalizer, this album sounds way better with slightly boosted mids and lows.
But I don't think it's fair to use an equalizer only on this album, and not any other album.

4/10

MEANT 5/10 FOR ALL NATURAL LEMON AND LIME WHOOPS

Andrew Poppy - The Beating of Wings
>Minimalism, Modern Classical, Electronic

OK so we got a Music for 18 Musicians choir
and an orchestra

hmmm mm mmmmm

So Poppy was a founding member of an ensemble dedicated to performing Reich and Glass all them Minimal giants, but allows himself to stretch out a bit more in his own work in terms of "repeating the same line of music over and over again." It's much more like R Plus Seven in that it takes a certain texture and progressively changes and nurtures its usage throughout The Object is a Hungry Wolf.

32 Frames for Amplified actually dumps the previous aesthetic I just typed out for something more like Philip Glass in 32 Frames for Amplified Orchestra. Not groundbreaking, but a decent track.

Listening In is where we begin to hear electronics, in a misshapen chamber pop format. I say chamber pop, because a British guy starts to whisper-speak and accompany the light looping dubstep wobbles of a synth and selected percussion. Then yo waddup got some horns to hit some drums with and minimalism is not a dead meme for sure

Cadenza for Piano and Electric Piano is unlike the previous compositions (once more), and is a delightful little duet between electronic and acoustic. The keyboard is gentler, and lets out joyful pings during the acoustic piano's bold arpeggios. And then the keyboard decides "perhaps i am not meant for this" and switches between a midi sax and piano on the bottom end on its keyboard, humorously and slightly to the piece's detriment, and it all decays to 2 traded notes, and then just 1 being fuckin thwacked

Not a great album, but a decent EP.

6/10

Jangle and trans, feel free to give reccs now or until I finish

>tfw u didn't and will never see Sup Forums's reaction to some of your favorite albums

i've always wanted to see how Sup Forums reacted the day MBDTF came out

FUKKIN RIDICULUHS

Got the courage to listen to Nothing and it went down to a 1. Awful. Also relistened to Heartlands and while I still hold my criticism that it is a more ham-fisted fusion of modern classical/baroque pop than I've heard before, I did enjoy it slightly more, so I moved it to a 6.

I have 17 reviews to write here so know these will probably end up being short and shitty:

>இளையராஜா - Solla Solla: Maestro Ilaiyaraaja and the Electronic Pop Sound of Kollywood 1977-1983
BOOM. BAP BAP. BOOMDABOPBOP. What the hell?? This was amazing! I must have some secret love for southern/south-east Asian music I'm just now discovering because I love this shit almost always without fail. Filled to the brim with winding, chaotic, funky, varied, unique Indian pop songs with some extremely satisfying vocal inflections. Fucking listen to this, nerd.

>Cocteau Twins - Garlands
Hottest take of the century is that this is CT's best album other than Heaven or Las Vegas, but it should come as no surprise in comparison to what I usually enjoy from post-punk. Cold and chaotic with strong rock tenancies. Garlands' biggest disadvantage is that Fraser is much reserved on this album. I'd LOVE to see her go fucking wild with her vocal inflections on these tracks, but she mostly stays in a more safe, subdued zone, which just leaves me barely satisfied.

>Fritz Reiner/Béla Bartók - Concerto for Orchestra
This was pretty fucking immaculate. I obviously am not as knowledgeable about classical as I'd care to be, and in a way I usually think this limits my enjoyment of classical albums. However, this I think is easy enjoyable regardless of music education. "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta" was probably my least favorite section of this album, otherwise everything else was ace.

>The Misfits - Beware
"Attitude" has actually never been a Misfits track I've ever cared for, but everything else here is near-perfect. It's...uh...it's kinda good. I like it.

1/4?

>Juggaknots - The Juggaknots
The production was a bit basic, but I can't help but enjoy this certain brand of boom bap. I really couldn't care less about lyrics, but the unconventional song structure and rap-interactions used on tracks like "Clear Blue Skies" make it a pretty easy winner.

>Mississippi John Hurt - Today!
Awesome in it's own right, but I can't help be disappointed knowing that he recorded much better music over three decades before this. Proof that blues can still be beautiful and uplifting while still maintaining a charming simplicity, but the absolute rawness present on the 1928 Sessions kick this one out of the water.

>The Drones - Feelin Kinda Free
Ditched their blues-y style for something a bit more noisey and chaotic. Imo much more successful, but still isn't quite complete-feeling. Much more pronounced and dynamic, but still nothing that amazing. "Boredom" was a clear favorite for me.

>Killing Joke - Night Time
Enjoyed this a bit more than their s/t, but I thought the first half was much too New Wave-y for me. I much preferred the more mechanical, somewhat predictable "Eighties" and "Multitudes". A dece post-punk album done in a style I typically don't care for.

>Gilberto Gil - s/t
Not as eventful, fun, or...good as his previous self-titled, but still an alright release. "Aquele abraço" is a great track, but for a genre I know so little about I still found this occasionally predictable.

>The Show Is the Rainbow - Gymnasia
A really energetic pop album that I really couldn't find myself getting into. I felt a lot of 90s hip-hop influences, especially on the few skits on here. Not sure what to think about this, other than I didn't really care for this and it's specific style of humor.

2/4

>Jon Hassell & Brian Eno - Fourth World Vol. 1: Possible Musics
Tribal ambient is a garbage genre most of the time, but this was alright. I could see how some may think this was less tedious than Eno's previous ambient albums, but the New Age production styles and instrumentation really just ruined any possible atmosphere that came out of a lot of simple, enjoyable ambient melodies that Eno is an expert of crafting.

>Tommy Wright III - Ashes 2 Ashes, Dust 2 Dust
It's no secret that a lot of these Memphis Tapes aren't always in the...greatest recording quality, but holy SHIT. Idk if it was just my rip but the recording quality here was abysmal. The hilarious, unique rapping combined with the fitting lo-fi beats almost helped sell this album, but it wasn't quite enough to get over how shitty the recording quality was. I downloaded THREE different versions of this hoping in vain I was wrong and that there was a version without a super fucked up EQ, but no such recording existed :(

>Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déjà vu
Every fucking country rock album I review from this era is the same fucking review so here I go again: I don't usually like this genre and this was okay. I need to stop being such a shitty completionist and just ignore these. First two tracks and "Our House" were really all I cared for.

>Full of Hell & Merzbow - s/t
Noise + Grindcore is a collab that NEEDS to be done more, but I really don't think this was executed well. While I think a lot of the tracks at the end were DYING to be about twice the speed, the track I found myself hanging onto was "High Fells". Another big complaint is that Merzbow stays extremely subdued on disc one, and the latter disc is just really mediocre, overly long noise tracks. I much preferred the Full of Hell-headed disc, but I imagine this would be much more for someone that enjoys noise more than I.

3/4

>The Innocence Mission - Birds of My Neighborhood
An album of well-written songs, sure, but this style of indie-folk feels a lot more tasteless to me than elsewhere. "The Lakes of Canada" is a pretty good song, and there's decent moments here, but nothing I'd chose to return to soon.

>Serge Gainsbourg - L'homme à tête de chou
While I don't hate this or anything, I just find Gainsbourg so BORING dude. Here is his worst offense of doing so. Perhaps if I spoke the language I'd enjoy this more, but to someone ignorant of the linguistics, this just sounds like someone talking over otherwise really dull, uninteresting compositions. Sorry to any Gainsbourg fans but I really couldn't care less for this. I enjoyed "Variations sur Marilou" decently and that was it.

>G. S. Sachdev - Bansuri: The Bamboo Flute of India
W E W Idk if I have shit taste or this is just a bad meme (we all know it's both). For real though, the timbre/playing-style of this was semi-enjoyable, but there is nothing here that justifies it being LP-length. If you really just like one-dimensional flute playing for 40 minutes be my guest but this certainly wasn't for me.

DONE.

Uh...which are you glad/angry I liked/disliked any of these? Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?

>moved it to a 6
I'll take that

Your opinions aren't contrarian enough, you need to extend your rating range to the negatives, implying that listening to an album may actively detriment the quality of all music

I PLACE ONE CARD FACE DOWN AND END MY TURN.

YOUR MOVE

i play pot of greed which allows me to draw two cards

i activate pot of greed
it allows me to smoke 2 blunts

world's end girlfriend - seven idiots

sounds like a plan

agumon use lightningbolt

JINZO!

good news HUMBLE. was the worst track
bad news there are no good ones
meh, maybe when i listen to it again
just from the singles i know humanz is better than this, dunno if i wanna listen to the low q rip yet hmm maybe probably if im gonna be a hypebeast for a day

>gr0ss vs Letov

>Betonkust & Palmbomen II - Center Parcs
Music like this oftentimes appears on these vaporwavey fake VHS nostalgia videos that you can find all over the internet these days. These guys certainly have that ~aesthetic~ down to a T, but their tunes are somewhat uneventful, relying on this hazy washed-out sound without really going anywhere. I liked it for a couple of tracks, but this type of music gets really old really fast. En nu opgekankerd. 2.0

>Кaзмa-Кaзмa - Пляcки тpyбaдypoв
Letov back at it again with the obscure lo-fi Soviet post-punk, except this time it has more of a zeuhl feeling, honestly. Very theatrical stuff, expressive vocals, instrumentation that finds a middle ground between rock band and brass band, carnival-esque motifs, the like. They even threw in a flute for good measure. I expected this to be way messier than it is though, it all comes together pretty well. It's also short enough that their gimmick doesn't wear off. I'll definitely be returning to this in the future, good stuff. 3.0+

Letov advances, gonna need a rec + an image of (almost) any kind to make the tournament prettier/uglier

Did i miss anythinf last thread

Tiger traps
MM3

My bet accuracy is up to 4/5 :o

Hey transgod you won my tourney bet so you get to force feed me 3 albums of your choice

these nuts

You are why i havent quit Sup Forums

same

what

Its a heart

the akira manga is really something, i read it in a day and it blew my friccken mind

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ігор-цимбровський/przyjdz-aniele/

(I considered removing the ancient watermark but I feel it adds to the piece)

i really really like this image

i like pride

lol
i need to listen to more from pauline

>Sup Forums unlocked at work
Meme

im tryna make my new chart look all pretty with a color gradient type deal and it is N O T W O R K I N G

im calling your boss right now youre gonna get fired bucko

Anybody high yet?

No

>sondre Lerche - pleasure
some catchy indie tunes with occasionally weird production choices and a good singer. can't help but think of dan bejar when i hear his voice but their lyrical styles and arrangements are quite different.
I'm high on life

Call Him A Doctor is an amazing lampoon of the 2000s pop scene. if pc music has been a turn off due to it not doing a good enough job criticizing the music it breeds in, give this a try. also give it a shot if you grew up in the plasticy hell hole that was 2005.
VIPOTY was an ok ep, but Poison is an amazing track.
Haircuts for Men is a lot better when you treat it as a dj mix of obscure downtempo tracks slowed down.
The First Original Silence is a fairly amazing barrage of noise rock terror. recommended if you want some brutal noise jazz that still feels like it has structure.
Solo is weirdly erotic if you're into that.
The russian album was fun as hell, if kinda one note.
The last album was some outsider house shit who cares.

yes hes on his way to kick your ass

just so you know that thundercat is from this year

ye i heard. only the top 3 rows are 2016.

gotchagotcha

also i know i'm not the most well regarded on here, but i expect you to know i'm not stupid enough to listen to anything zappa released after 2000.

4/20 playlist [STONERS ONLY]:

youtu.be/pSgGCOHuO1U
youtu.be/ABc8ciT5QLs
youtu.be/MNKL9onYB_8
youtu.be/EwTZ2xpQwpA

ha ha :)

:)

I'm listening to a stoner metal album today is that good enough

Better than good enough. Which one?

DUDE

oh shit i should totally listen to kyuss today

yknow I really don't like weed culture (or weed, for that matter) but man its made for some good music

either witchcult today or dead roots stirring. maybe both.

I'm definitely playing welcome to sky valley, fucking great album.

No, we just bought tickets to a Scooter concert

Sweet Trip - You Will Never Know Why

really makes me think

uuuhm try again sweety

no

Gonna listen to D O P E S M O K E R today then am probably going to see Sleep on saturday

So you guys are the bew trips right? I was thinking about doing a tourbey with only new trips but then i realized there weren't that many, unless I'm missing some

i've been here for like 7 months

That's still new hell i'm new Too

BUT FUCK THAT

HEAR ME OUT /daily/
This general has existed for almost 3 years now if I'm not mistaken, and i always see some of the old people compaining

Soo i want to propose

A TOURNEY OF OLD TRIPS VS NEW TRIPS

I actually wish if every single trip here participated and i don't want to be the only judge so if any other 2 people want to help me judge i would be pleased (Fish and Terminus are the ones i want to be judges but if they would rather participate then that's cool)
I want this to be like the rod tourney but it's not a tourney for right now, I'm gonna leave it for later, just telling you guys of the idea

new

really niBBa

this could be neat

I'm down with this honestly

what's the cut off for old and new?

im old rest of u are new

>Sondre Lerche - Pleasure
Probably my favorite release from this guy, but definitely his most up-or-down for me. I loved a lot of the weirder production choices, and a lot of the freakier, less conventional moments like on "Violent Game". The opener, "Soft Feeling" was probably my favorite from this album. Despite having a lot to like, I just don't admire the lush, indie style all that much, which harshly detracts from my enjoyment of an otherwise well-written album.

waddya mean "old" tho?

I've only been here for a year and a half, just over half the existence of /daily/. Am I new?

Library memes round 3

>different trains
nice

Well let's see
Big meme itt is old and so is giving bear but we could make it as "you've been here for over a year and people know you"
I was thinking of cutting it into 3 groups but since most old old dudes are dead i didn't even try

Actually nevermind i like the idea of 3 groups
But i need to count how many people are willing to participate
Something like
OLD: started posting 2+ years ago
UGLy: started posting 1 year ago
NEW: less than a year

Max Corbacho - Ars Lucis

New releases are always 99% autistic screeching, you didn't miss much.

>1-2+
I'm in this gap, can I go on whatever team FISH is not in.

You would be exactly in the team that fish is actually

F U C K
(you should probably divide it into 3 even groups as the cutoff points rather than arbitrary dates tho)

look what i found

reply to this post if you think jangle is evil

yes

YES

very correct opinion on Solla Solla

give

this ain't me bruv

uh oh

80% of my opinions are right

This ain't me

what the heck flip all of you
public strain is better than s/t

finally FISH has a correct opinion

I knew that 80% figure was generous

losers gon leave forever
le guess who imo

>Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Kate Bush's voice is really great. She has an incredible range of vocal talent, and she shows it on this album. And the compositions on this album are very solid, too. Great variety of instruments, sounds, synths and such. I don't have too much to say about this, other than that it was good!

>DJ Screw - Codeine Fiend
I liked this one a lot!! Very reminiscent of 3 n the Mornin and All Screwed Up. Another near 2 hours of classic Screw.
3.0+

>Brainbombs - Burning Hell
There's so much to love about Brainbombs. Its so easy to get lost in the lazy, noisy riffs, while some Swedish dude screams gibberish into yr ear. It's a simple formula, but its so effective. I find it hilariously enjoyable. This was more lo-fi than Obey, and a little more raw, but still just as good.

what next
im a newfriend and im interested

Yes please

Try the jandek record. Just listened to it last night for the first time and hated it, but some people seem to really like it

will do. i tried six and six, but i didnt want to rate it. i felt like it wasnt clicking, so ill try both again tonight.

Oh damn didn't see you have 2 of them on there. Yeah try Ready for the House

How are my le weed lmao bros doing?
Give me things to listen to that you like.

listen to
aquemini
by
outkast
and get lost

Might be interested, if there's room. I'd be in the 1yr group

>Those features

i dont like outkast