How should I listen to cassettes? What equipment do I need? Is it even worth it?

How should I listen to cassettes? What equipment do I need? Is it even worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jVoSQP2yUYA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Using old outdated shitty tape to listen to music

How do you listen to music the patrician way then?

Bump

you don't, music is shit

>Sup Forums says music is shit
hello Sup Forums

Even with Dolby NR Cassettes were vastly inferior to Vinyl or Reel to Reel. Just listen to digital for portability and Vinyl or Digital when at home. Cassettes became antiquated and an unsupported medium for reason.

Does Reel to Reel actually sound good?

Reel to Reel sounded great. it didn't suffer to the hiss cassettes had due to the low speed the tape travels across the magnetic head.

you need a Walkman and earbuds
that's about the best you'll get

Is Reel to Reel the only patrician way to listen to music?

yes u fuckin pleb

>Is it even worth it?
If you are into certain genres and want to support small artists/labels, yes. And/or if you want a physical collection that's cheaper than vinyl, yes.

>How should I listen to cassettes?
>What equipment do I need?

Cassettedeck (nakamichi, sony, denon, aiwa, etc), amp/receiver, speakers/headphones
or a Walkman (sony)

What will the sound quality be like?

You shouldn't get into cassettes for sound quality. A nakamichi deck will sound better than a cheap one of course.

Well if they don't sound shit I'm fine with it

You plebs need to get educated on cassettes.

youtu.be/jVoSQP2yUYA

Casettes were created to replace 8-track with a smaller and more hardy packaging. 8-tracks because of the faster tape speed didn't have the hiss that cassettes did and thus Dolby NR was created. Cassettes technology however flourished with different oxides and sound reproduction became quite good for portable analog (Though it never equaled Reel to Reel). CD's replaced the medium and digital because of convenience and ever increasing bit rates replaced cassettes.

Oh shit son, when do cassettes start becoming popular like vinyl?

already happening senpai

Vinyl and R To R i can understand.
Cassettes offer nothing above a good digital media file though. I am 57 years old and have owned tons of cassettes and 8 -tracks. They were replaced with good reason.

I like the distortion and tone it gives to some recordings.
But of course, if you want good sound quality, digital and vinyl are the ways to go.

And MiniDiscs

A lot of smaller Bandcamp artists are already into that revival, releasing special limited editions. It's cheap and has a certain charm.

Can someone explain to my how to record tapes? How did people do it back then and how did they record the radio? I have some blank tapes and a receiver but i'm guessing I need some tape deck to record as well. Can you recommend a model and explain the recording process?

They've been kind of making a comeback over the past few years now. A lot of smaller labels and bands put them out because you can do small runs ( e.g. under 100) and still make your money back on them. CDs are naturally better in quality, but the thing is almost no one in the underground I know buys them anymore due to digital downloads being of a fairly good quality nowadays, so they'd take cassettes over CDs even if they have no means to actually play them.

>connect a tape deck to your receiver's in and output
>connect for instance your cd player to your receiver's cd input
>play cd
>hit rec button on cassette deck

You can probably also just connect a source to your decks input (so without a receiver) but I've never done this.

For recording a 3 head deck is recommended but these can be quite expensive. 3 heads allow you to monitor your recording.

If you want the best sound quality (least amount of hiss) you want to use dolby NR. Dolby S is the best but only top of the line decks have this.

>>play cd
>>hit rec button on cassette deck
actually hit rec button first and then play cd

I also hail from a European country where cassette distribution are still widely used as underground artist first demo's and mixtapes and sometimes are being sold at ridiculous prices after artist has become successful. All despite the fact CD's, Internet etc. are all widely available and relatively cheap.

Only good thing about c-cassettes was the ease of use, of making your own tapes and that worn out tapes felt personal, like a scratch in vinyl might create a familiar spot of reference on a album even if it's not supposed to be there.

Cassettes aren't bad at all on nice soundsystems. Cassettes are normally just played on cheap listening devices

MiniDisc is just an outdated proprietary digital format.

Like five years ago? Great job missing the boat

thanks man I just copped a Pioneer CT-F500. it's not three head but it was a steal