Why do people even use linux?

why do people even use linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tFLBMp-QRPs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Go to Sup Forums faggett

because it's easily a far more secure OS.
It'll run on most anything more complex than a toaster.
easy to configure
easy to manage if you're not a mouthbreathing tard.
easy to patch.
damn near malware proof in stock form
firewall is second to none.
natively supports many times more filesystem types than windows.
easy to troubleshoot hardware issues at the command line
far more versatile..

what does it have against it? shitty nvidia and amd driver support.

Powershell not there yet

PC-BSD > Loonix

/thread

bsd fell behind in the development curve in the late 2000's. it won't catch up. powershell is actually decent, but feels like it's held together by drippy
glue, at times.

>Why do people even use linux?
Because I do more with computers then play video games.

Because Windows literally killed itself on my laptop trying to force an upgrade to windows 10, which I never gave it permission for.

Better question is why do people even use windows?

Linux is love. Linux is life.

Fuck that I play OpenMW Morrowind and Borderlands all day on Linux

They r poor

Yes, there are some games that run on Linux and it's better than it used to be, but it doesn't hold a candle to Windows for gaming.

why do people even use windows?

Bash.

apt-get for all the free shit whenever I want shiit done.

Microsoft keeps fucking changing shit just to fuck with people.

Why do people?

are you trolling or really just that stupid?

Hell why do any of them use either...

Because or doesn't apply to their needs or offer them any substantial benefit. Hell id wager 90% of users on computers today need nothing more than a shitty Chromebook with a browser and nothing more.

Be nice, not everyone is raised by technically literate parents.

I bet they'd appreciate paying $300 less for a system with Linux Mint installed instead of Windows.

you missed the part about chromebook didn't you? It doesn't have windows. Most users don't even need fully capable OS. Most of these people browse social media and nothing more.

I don't even know what a chromebook is.

its a 100-200 dollar system with little to no hardware with a severely lightweight chrome OS with nothing other than browsing capability for the most part.

It's a laptop that just runs an operating system of version Google chrome. So it's basically just good for web browsing, and not much else.

they do have some file storage but its done in the cloud apparently

>and a google botnet backend gently inserted into your rectal cavity*

the average user gives two shits about privacy if you haven't noticed

automake toolchain is hell in a bucket on windows, as is a lot of other even slightly-vintage programming stuff

every serious programming project ever:

Build on Linux: (highly detailed instructions)
Build on Mac: (okay, slightly sketchy instructions)
Build on Windows: (some horrible hacks and shit that probably half-worked five years ago)

That's how Sup Forums gets so much traffic even though they ban VPNs.

Everything from your phone, to the radio in your car to your TV to the new york stock exchange to satellites to warships run on linux. Linux all-but literally makes the world go round.

yea but most people this day and age can at least read.

As a programmer, Windows is very much a walled garden affair. If you use Visual Studio exactly as intended and only write C#, you're probably fine. The only other way to use Windows is to install Cygwin or MinGW, because anything else is a fucking disaster.

If you're using Ubuntu/Debian it'll run like 90% of games and you'll have everything up in 5m... Drivers will be a bitch on more advanced distros.

Why the fuck do people still use Windows?
>ubuntu 16.0.04
Let me know how easy it is for you to upgrade your OS
Tell me how you download apps from your cmd line
Let me know how you check your system temp sensors
>sensors
Eat a bag of dicks faggot

Everytime I've met a Windows "programmer" they were fucking terrible at everything. Slow as shit, non-adaptive and unknowledgeable.

VS is a fucking abomination.

Flash a custom bios on it...

recently switched switched to full time linux. CHEAPER, more stable, runs on old machines...the benefits are not measureable. Substance per dolla, Linux every day every way...

still, if someone is going to go that route they might as well learn GNU/Linux and throw it on an old laptap or something

indeed.

The only people who use linux are pedophiles trying to hide their CP stash.

Prove me wrong. You can't.

i don't pedo Sup Forumsro and i use Ubuntu..there ya got libtard

1. You didn't prove anything.
2. You're obviously a nigger and not smart enough to be on this site.

So that makes you a 9GAGger..

I've been hear sens 1776 bud

>..
You realize that only learning disabled people and empty-headed teenage girls do this, right?

I think the thing that kills me most about Microsoft is, they've made a couple of really good decisions lately. CLI is an open spec, and they're even officially supporting the open-source runtime Mono. But they're not open-sourcing the libraries that would make one actually want to use a CLI language, i.e., WinForms and WPF. And I guess they're bringing over Bash, since the Windows terminal has always been terrible. At the same time, just, Windows 10. One step forward, then about face and run a marathon in the opposite direction.

fuck yeah...gets your thong in a twist...

>he has to pretend he has the ability to emotionally affect others online because he feels so impotent irl

Hehhe, you got me all figured out...now I'll sulk over bindin' up your panties.

Linux has no advantages over Windows
>Easy to configure
>Easy to manage
That's fucking bullshit and you know it.

Literal retard detected. You're obviously not even smart enough to be on this site. Back to facebook.

you must be related to
&

Not an argument

I'm actually gonna agree with this nigger. If you arent a professional or using any special software. A chromebook is fine for 90% of people. The other 8% will use autocad and microsoft excel and 2% actually need everything else

>he comes to Sup Forums Sup Forums for arguments
Holy shit. Look at this newfaggot go. Did mommy tell you it's alright if you're no good at sports because all the girls really want a master debater?

>Makes an excuse to not refute me
This is the most pathetic shit I've ever seen.

but the gaymurs man

>still begging the locals to turn the site into reddit or high school debate club so he'll feel more at home
>reaction images after 2010
Definitely a tourist.

Keep giving me those (You)'s bitchboi

youtube.com/watch?v=tFLBMp-QRPs

!#

>he doesn't realize he's trapped in here with ME

Windows
>customizable to the point of how hard you try to figure it out, or rely on someone else exploring the maze of strange things because the retarded wizard who created it won't show you the way it works, used as a platform for games because games have to be sold, and windows is closed source, or "sold"
Linux
>customizable, everything is given all that is stopping you is time and motivation

I skipped to the end, his conclusion is to use GNU/Linux

oh is that why linux is used for every server you've ever been on?

I'm talking about it as an user OS.

>an user

Customizability

Okay now lets figure out why everybody uses linux for servers.
>its free
>the OS allocates and manages resources better than windows
>runs less bs os processes in the background (hence the better resource allocation)
>not actually hard to use
>doesn't try to do everything for everybody like windows
I'll expand on my last point since it is perhaps the most important. Linux is trying to be an operating system for people that know how a computer functions. Mac's are designed for retards that don't know how a computer works(UI intensive, freedom restrictions etc.), Windows does all of the above. This means windows is lacking in certain areas because microsoft is trying to do EVERYTHING for EVERYONE. Windows is a great operating system and the most used in the world because it will do just about anything that any other operating system will do. BUT it doesn't work as well as linux when it comes to file management/resource allocation/virus protection, etc etc.

>he comes to Sup Forums to get along with people
The only good part of this website is the hurt chamber

>If you're using Ubuntu/Debian it'll run like 90% of games
linuxfag here...that's an exaggeration and you know it

I come here to insult retarded adolescents. I'm sorry if you assumed something else because you're dense.

Ah alright. I see where you guys are coming from now.