Will there ever be a new original movie franchise that reaches a Star Wars/Capeshit/Harry Potter level of popularity?

Will there ever be a new original movie franchise that reaches a Star Wars/Capeshit/Harry Potter level of popularity?

It's pretty sad when Avatar is the only original franchise that was started in the past few years.

Artemis Fowl probably would.

I'm working on a supernatural modern western about someone accidentally becoming a necromancer and losing control of the situation to a group of spirits who need him to stay alive so that they can stay in this world. The story follows a group of people who survived the initial attack on the small oil town trying to get to the center of town, each for their own reasons.

Really, I'm just writing it because I want a scene depicting an undead rave/ orgy and a bunch of dead people sewn into abominations modeled after mythical creatures. It could be a great horror comedy but it will never get off the ground

Never post about this shit again, please, I feel upset having spent time reading that and having to waste time to tell you this.

Keep going user

reading the first sentence: already too complicated.

It's a lot more simple on paper.

It's meant to be fucking stupid. That's what people want these days. No substance, just epic scenes and stupid shit. If I ever finish it I'll be rich.

This never getting a film series is the biggest "Fuck you!" to teenage me tbqh.

Why? That's literally all there is to it. The rest of it is just flashy scenes with nothing but over the top violence and one liners. Also the main spirit tales 2 the form of a shirtless farm girl with a freshly severed goat's head sewn in place of the farm girl's old head. The head gets blown off and replaced a total of 6 times

Takes the form of*

That would be based off a book series though.

Original film franchise means the franchise started as a film.

High concept westerns are dead in the water. Think Cowboys and Aliens or Lone Ranger

You forgot Fast and Furious.

How original are we talking here? Hungry Games had a big successful franchise, but that started with a book.

Pacific Rim was new but if flopped in the US, thank you based China for the sequel

Well it's only a western in the sense that it happens in the west. There's really only one cowboy. I'd like the cinematography top be inspired by old spaghetti westerns and the music to be a fusion of Ennio Morricone and Gothic cabaret.

I feel like it's just strange enough to work.

This is the only original hugely successful original film franchise I can honestly think of that's actually got a substantial series to its name. This upsets me greatly

is DC even relevant?

Is this really the only franchise started in the 2000s not based off anything?

Well Mission Impossible started in the 90s but it's developed during the 2000s

We'll never return to the days of the late-70s/80s

Indiana Jones
Star Wars
Terminator
Die Hard
Alien
Beverly Hills Cop
Ghostbusters
Back to the Future
Robocop
Lethal Weapon
Rocky

All weren't based on any previous material.

It's not original but there's also a new Resident Evil film coming out. Saw got pretty far too.

The problem is no one is willing to take chances on something that doesn't have some sort of pre-built appeal.

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

don't make me say it...you know the reason for this...

practical effects and better pacing

Naw, I think the problem stems from TLotR. It was a successful trilogy. That stuck in the public mind so when people make a movie series, they try to ape it and go for 3. While that seems like an overshoot, they also hang themself when the film is successful because they only planned for three movies. While in the past, they just let the sequels develop organically.

Oh yeah there's a few recent horror franchises

Saw
Paranormal Activity
The Conjuring
Insidious
The Purge

this guy was born in Manhattan, how based is that, wow

Most of those are just awful though

I can't even imagine a studio taking the time to build an original cinematic universe from the ground up. No way would they take that risk nowadays.

what do mean by that?

>star wars based off hidden fortress
>capeshit based off cartoon magazines
>harry potter based off book series

You probs aint gonna get a franchise as big as those without the guaranteed popularity of a book series or some other source material

We're working on it user.

Inception could easily be a cinematic universe. We'll see...

Also Pacific Rim is getting a sequel.

And capeshit is original? Read the OP, retard, or if you are OP, be less retarded next time you make a thread.

> Finally get high budget Kaiju Fighting Movie
> Practical Effects seemlessly blended with top CGI
> Internet bitches about Sword and omit details like poison Kaiju blood
> we can't have nice things

Ghostbusters was a remake of a TV show.

Checkmate.

I mentioned capes and HP just as examples of massive franchises. That's all.

>the most talked about movie of the year along with Ghostbusters
>still discussed becuase of the recently released Ultimate edition of BvS
>still haven't even released the most hyped movie of the year
Yeah, they are pretty relevant still.

Avatar original...surely you jest.

I thought Oblivion was supposed to get sequels but it kind of flopped.

>2.8 billion
>4 sequels coming
>video games, toys, theme park

It might be space Pocahantas but it's a franchise.

there was nowhere even left to go.