Surprising music facts

The vocals on "When You Sleep" are not Kevin and Bilinda singing together, but just Kevin slowed down and sped up at the same time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KJSK1wXmn4g
youtu.be/MHo5R143mx4
youtube.com/watch?v=E8KKqQc-6hU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thats creepy

>he's not holding a guitar

DELETE THIS RIGHT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 1983, The Edge of U2 collaborated with Jah Wobble of Public Image Ltd, Jaki Liebezeit and Holger Czukay of Can, New York disco producer François Kevorkian, and composer Arthur Russell on the "Snake Charmer" LP. The title track would become a regular staple of influential New York City nightclub, the Paradise Garage.

The album was engineered by legendary dub reggae studio engineer Paul "Groucho" Smykle and future The Smiths and Blur producer Stephen Street. It also featured additional musical contributions from jazz vocalist Marcella Allen, frequent Jah Wobble collaborators Animal, Ben Mandelson, Ollie Marland and Neville Murray, as well as original Public Image Ltd drummer, Jim Walker.

youtube.com/watch?v=KJSK1wXmn4g

>The layered vocals on "When You Sleep" were born out of frustration with trying to get the right take. Shields commented that "The vocals sound like that because it became boring and too destructive trying to get the right vocal. So I decided to put all the vocals in. (It had been sung 12 or 13 times)."[21] He explained:
>On 'When You Sleep' it sounds like me and Bilinda singing together, but it's just me – me slowed down and me speeded up at the same time. Some songs we sang over and over until we got bored – usually between 12 and 18 times. I started sorting through the tapes and it did my head in, so I just played them all together and it was really good – like one, vaguely distinct voice.[43]
Cool

Best track on this album
Can't get enough of it

Fun fact: if your music relies on studio trickery and cannot be replicated onstage, it's bad music.

I did not want this info and refuse to believe you're not memeing

Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are bad?

it isn't that hard to replicate loveless in a live setting. you just need to bring a few delay pedals, some vacuums, an elephant and a used escalator

I think that's a bit immature. Sure, there's merit in being able to perform the album's music proper but at the same time the studio is a chance to get it pitch perfect. You can do as many takes as you want and tweak things to get them just right. Far be it from any of us to insist that musicians don't take that chance to immortalize the core representation of their music and get that album done exactly the way they envision it. Live performances are transient but the album is forever.

>

Rockist opinion placing importance on giving a "genuine" performance over quality of composition.

Tired: your meme
Wired: youtu.be/MHo5R143mx4

Yes. You unironically thought rymcore was good?

his voice is actually more annoying than avey or panda's

Fun fact: Many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever, which tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art.

le epic inspect element meme

That's the point

You sound like fucking dave grohl

That's fucking retarded

Spinning Plates is an earlier version of I Will in reverse

Oh shit it's just a magazine on he cover of Loveless this whole time

Spotted the bedroom IDM "producers." Can you fucks even tuna a harp?

>Tony Visconti rigged up a system, a creative misuse of gating that may be termed "multi-latch gating",[18] of three microphones to capture the vocal, with one microphone nine inches from Bowie, one 20 feet away and one 50 feet away. As the music built, Bowie was forced to sing at increased volumes to overcome the gating effect, leading to an increasingly unhinged vocal performance as the song progresses[19] Each microphone is muted as the next one is triggered. "Bowie's performance thus grows in intensity precisely as ever more ambience infuses his delivery until, by the final verse, he has to shout just to be heard....The more Bowie shouts just to be heard, in fact, the further back in the mix Visconti's multi-latch system pushes his vocal tracks, creating a stark metaphor for the situation of Bowie's doomed lovers".[20]

does anyone else know of some cool vocal production stories? my vocals sound like shit.

How many instruments do you play?

The vocals on Pixies' Something Against You were filtered through a guitar amp to pretty neat effect.

You gotta double track those bad boys. Pan one track to the left and the other to the right. It helps immensely.

Really makes me think

This album uses sheet metal and sledgehammers in its percussion.

It also has two (count em), 2 drummers.

>Ween's Chocolate and Cheese album, released in 1994, is "dedicated in loving memory to John Candy (1950–1994)". At the time Gene Ween remarked, "...there was so much going on about Kurt Cobain, and nobody mentioned John Candy at all. I have a special little spot in my heart for him."

2 separate vocal takes? or one split into two, a split second ahead?

tell that to the Beatles

The album cover is a still from a video of Vietnam soldiers taking weed hits out of a gun barrel.

youtube.com/watch?v=E8KKqQc-6hU

The "holy shit!" you hear at the very end of Oh Comely is one of Jeff's bandmates. Jeff was supposed to be doing a sound check on the mics and guitars and instead performed the whole song in a single take.

It's up to you, but I've always done two separate vocal takes. You don't even need to have both takes be 100% identical. Sometimes it's kind of cool to hear minor differences co-existing.

Good looking out user. For the life of me I couldn't remember what it was called.

>2 drummers

that's really interesting; I've always wondered what that was. looked kind of like a fucked up cigar or a vape but I had no idea. cool

bump

More from MBV:

>While recording the album over a period of two weeks, the band got by on about two hours sleep a night. Bilinda Butcher described the effect of this: "Often, when we do the vocals, it's 7:30 in the morning: I've usually fallen asleep and have to be woken up to sing. Maybe that's why it's languorous. I'm usually trying to remember what I've been dreaming about when I'm singing."

Soundtracks for the Blind (Person)
Not
Soundtracks for the Blind (People)

The title is a reference to his father who is the voice of the man doing the monologue in "How They Suffer" who talks about his blindness.

no song is ever the same

'"When we started Magnetic Fields we purposely had one lesbian, one gay guy, one straight woman, and one straight man. The audience could identify with whomever they wanted. I hang out with more gay women now, but I guess I'm more of a fag hag than a lezzie hag."

wait what? If its him speeded up then how come its at the same spped as him slowed down?

That's truly awesome