Hey Sup Forumsrothers can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Parents, friends...

Hey Sup Forumsrothers can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Parents, friends, etc tell me my salary is enough to live comfortably. Yet I'm still living from paycheck to paycheck unable to fund any hobby project like building a new gaming computer, traveling during vacation, etc

>Salary $42,490
>Rent $550
>Car note $420
>Power Bill $150-250 (depending on weather due to running ac)
>Waste bill $40
>Internet bill $60
>netflix $11.99
>Crunchyroll $6.95
>MMO sub $15.00 +-
>Student loans $350

This what I pay monthly. These bills drop on early half the month and the end of the month. I get payed twice a month. So some bills get payed on my check from the first of the month the others get paid on the check I receive the last of them. I have no credit cards. My credit isn't too great due to fucking around with paymentd to cc during highschool. Wat do?

so you get 3540 a month? and pay around 1500 to bills? and you can't live comfortably...

>rent $550
>utilities $250
x_doubt.bmp
What kind of shit hole would you live in for this to be true?

How much are you spending on food? Is it all fast food or are you actually buying groceries and cooking?

How much do you actually take home each month? Youre only spending ~50% of what you take home every month. Be careful going out to eat a lot, that can eat up your money quicker that you expect

I live with 150$ a month as a college student, every job in this city is either took by someone who knows someone or by people with experience. Anyone here wants to hire me to help with some shits?

I rent a house out in the country from a friend of the family.

Yes. Because it isn't a lump sum. It's split between 1300'ish checks (after taxes) twice a month. So what's left over after bills goes towards eating during the time between pay day.

Mixtures. Usually breakfast and lunch is fast food since I'm at work during that time and cooked meals for dinner. Unless I go out with friends or something. Then it may be eating out three times a day.

It may be the eating out I guess. My checks are usually 1340ish twice a month.

That's a big fucking car payment, but you should be able to live alone comfortably on what you make.

What about insurance? Renters, auto, etc.

Cook your own food and meal prep you pleb.

You're spending too much on food as you should have at least 1000 a month to save.

even if it's 2600 a month that's still 1100 left a month, eating expenses shouldn't be higher than 300/400 at MAX, but i suppose you're american so than can be even lower

the best thing to do when you're this retarded is to open a savings account and transfer $150+ as on the days you get a paycheck.

Your car payment is retarded for how little you make. Your payment shouldn't be over 200 if you even have one at all.

Stop wasting money on eating out if you have better goals.

Go download You Need A Budget. It will help if you track your expenses accurately. Little shit adds up.

/r/personalfinance is good if you want to go join the reddit fags for a bit.

If you really want to save money you can take extreme measures like eating dumpster dived food (prob not viable since you seem to live in the middle of nowhere and not an urban area) buying almost-expired meat/produce at the grocery store, etc. I'd bet anything food is your biggest extra expense right now.

Other than that use this as motivation to make more money. Honestly being over extended on my car/rent is what made me push to climb the ladder at work and get to where I'm at now (135k), but I've been on the total other side surviving in a major city on under 1k a month.

This.

Also you probably should have bought a cheaper car until your student loans are paid off or until you got a raise.

So youre not actually making 42k a year. Youre actually taking home ~32k a year. Still some discrepancies, but that should leave you with about $700 a month for food and savings and other shit.

Do you have car or health insurance that you also pay for? Those might eat up another chunk

Well my pay rate is 1,766. So before taxes it is 42k. But being single my taxes are insane.

How long is the car loan for?

I have about a year left.

Have you gone through the debt snowball exercise yet?

Yeah I forgot some bills. My car insurance is around $80 and I my phone bill is around $120'ish.

Not sure what that is. So probably not.

So close to quints of truth.

Anyway, you write down all your monthly expenses which you've already done. Write the amount you have each month left over after you pay all your bills, and put it to the side.

On things like food, entertainment, going out you scale back and figure how much you can save there. Take that amount and put it to the side as well.

Now look at your monthly debt (things you have to pay). Pick out the loans that have interest rates attached to them and rank them by either the outstanding balance, or highest interest rate - your choice.

Since your car is almost paid off, it might make sense to make this your first priority because once it's paid off it frees up $420 that can be put towards other debt immediately.

So what you would do is take the money you put to the side earlier (let's say it's $200), and you start paying it to principal of your monthly car payment. Each month you'll be paying $420 toward the loan, and $200 toward the principal (make sure you pay to PRINCIPAL. If you just send the extra $200 they'll apply it to the next payment which you don't want).

After your car is paid off, you snowball that $620 into your next monthly debt that is a loan. That would be your student loan, so you'd be paying the normal $350 and an additional $620 toward the loan principal.

Before you know it you'll be out of debt and not live paycheck to paycheck. It takes discipline and some sacrifice, but it's worth it in the long run.

Once your debt is gone, take at least half of that $970 a month and invest it for your retirement.

Good luck OP.

stop paying for cruchyroll. There are better sites for free i would recommend KissAnime

So when you include insurance and fuel you're paying more for your car than your rent. That's retarded. That's American.

skip netflix. it's more comfy to pirate stuff instead of relying on over complicated pay-to-view solution.

You need to make better choices with your leftover income. From the above info it's $1K a month. You should be able to eat and pay down debt with that amount of income.

Get serious and you'll do it in no time, and will have plenty of money without going check to check.

No shit. Kodi up and you've put $140 back in your pocket.

still amazes me that technology normies use today, is stuff we laughed at back in the 90's.
>the deprecated technology of the past is the cutting edge of the future

Are you talking about netflix, or kodi as the evolution of xbmc?

the concept of streaming media and drm,

Not OP but what is this kodi thing, all it looks like to me is a video player. You still seem to have to find videos and movies on your own. If you already have a computer, this seems pointless compared to just streaming them online, or even just downloading the videos you want to watch.

Guess it's not for everybody, but the plugins make it worth it for me.

>tfw live in a country with a 500$/month pay but still have a 1800$ PC
>Amerifat with 3.5k$/mo with 1.1$ left each month can't buy anything

Switch to boost. I pay 57 Dollars and I have unlimited talk and text and internet.

Alright let's break it down.

You earn 42,490 dollars a year, I'm assuming net income but let's just say it's gross for now, so let's take out the 2490 dollars for taxes be it state and/or federal, just to make up some kind of net figure at 40,000.

I've compiled all your bills to 1704 dollars a month, but let's add 94 more dollars in case of fluctuation of prices to an even 1800 a month. Now let's add other costs such as gasoline and food, how about 300 more, I'm sure you don't consume that much as a single person but over exaggeration is better when it comes to funds, that way there's no surprises. All that comes to about 2100 dollars a month.

Let's divide your new net income by 12 to see how much you make in a month which comes to about 3333 dollars, subtract 2100 dollars for your expenses and you get 1233 a month to do whatever you want with.

It seems the only issue you have OP is that you want more money to blow. Course of action?
Get a higher paying job. Cut some of the excess spending. Save your money for two or more months.

OP has abandoned thread I think.