Portubros, I was invited to have dinner with a friend's family in Caldas da Rainha this June...

Portubros, I was invited to have dinner with a friend's family in Caldas da Rainha this June. Are there any customs when you're invited to someone's house, i.e. bringing a small gift for the family?

Yeah probably I don't know about any countries. Just do this though: bring food. Who doesn't like food for the whole family?

>Portugal is becoming a hipster Safe zone

don't break any chairs

Wut? I've had friends there for a while. Lisbon is pretty colonized by hipsters from the US and Northern Europe, though.

Bringing a desert or a small gift is always nice. Caldas da Rainha people are chill, just don't be an asshole and you will be fine

FUCK MAN.

Why is EVERYBODY coming here ?

I live in a small city up North and i have new Swedish and German and even fucking Austrian neighbors in the last 6 months. Young people who want to have kids and start a new life here.

What the fuck is going on here.

>Caldas da Rainha people are chill
Are they even known for anything in particular besides clay penises?

I had a pretty good time last time I was there. Pic related, it's a photo a friend took of me feeding the birds in Parque D. Carlos I.

I have no idea what's driving them in, maybe they want a cheaper "Mediterranean" country?

I started going because an old forum body of mine is from Lisbon and a few years back I met a tuga girl from Caldas on Culturepals and now I have several Portuguese friends, so I guess it's more of a personal connection in my case.

Dude this is the North.

It rains all the time and the culture is different.

You usually bring a wine bottle, but you probably don't know enough about local wines to be able to choose.

Maybe bring a cheap-o American wine bottle for a joke? "The shit I have to put up with back home" sort of joke. People would find that charming, I think.

Other than that, just bring something from your region if there's anything. Burgers exist everywhere so obviously nothing widespread like that.

It's still warmer than Northern Europe, no? Wiki tells me Porto has a January low of 5.2.

All of my Portuguese friends are Caldense or Lisboeta and some of them get kinda butthurt and tell me that Porto is "exactly the same as Lisbon but has francesinha."

From what I can gather (and what my friend who moved from Caldas to Porto to study at the university there), cities in the North tend to be cleaner and more orderly than in the south.

>It's still warmer than Northern Europe, no?
The houses aren't. We don't isolate anything, because for the most part the heat is the problem.

Porto is also noticeably darker and foggier, daylight-wise.

There's not really a North/South divide, there's a Lisbon/Non-Lisbon divide, usually headed by Porto since it's the second biggest city, but Évora and Beja are mostly chill and pretty clean.

Lisbon is also not that dirty, compared to a lot of foreign capitals. Not by a long shot.

Lisboners like to pretend there is absolutely no difference, northerners like to pretend we are from a different country.

To give you a rough mental image, there is probably exactly as much cultural difference between the northern regions and the southern ones than there is between the northern parts of Castile (think Santander to Burgos) and the southern parts (Malaga to Granada), and I'm purposefully ignoring the fact that there is a lot more regional variation of dialects in Portugal than in Castile.

Also, Porto is one of the warmer places in the north although it does have a fairly mild summer and not quite representative of the region. Think Viseu or Viana to get an idea of what the north is.

>there is between the northern parts of Castile (think Santander to Burgos) and the southern parts (Malaga to Granada)

user, You are a little bit wrong in this statement. Santander is a castilian city, Málaga and Granada are andalusian ones. We dont even speak the same Spanish dialect and the cultures are very different.

DON'T FEED THE FUCKIN' BIRDS.

are south american wines common there? i took a class on wines and have access to some better brands of american wines

We only drink Portuguese for the most part.

I'm really suggesting you bring bad wine on purpose just so your in-laws feel pride on how much better Portuguese wine is in comparison.

bitch

Believe it or not it's the exactly the same order of magnitude of differences we have. Our dialects are even more distant, someone from the deep North (speaks something akin to the rural southern Galician dialects) will actually have trouble understanding someone from the deep Alentejo, not even going to mention the Algarve.

Soldiers from the North in the South during the Estado Novo were often mocked by southerns for not sleeping the sesta initially and always ending up doing it after a while.

kek

Just get something uniquely American.

>someone from the deep North will actually have trouble understanding someone from the deep Alentejo,

Utter. Bullshit.

I have trouble understanding someone from the deep Alentejo, and I'm not from the deep North. I can only imagine it gets harder.

Unless you want to call bullshit on that too.

Do you also have trouble tying your shoes?

Because that's not generalised.

No I do not, I fail to see how that's related. And I'm not the only one in my group of friends that has mentioned at.

I believe it's possible it's even more difficult for people from the Porto district to understand someone from the deep Alentejo than someone from the interior North but I doubt it.

This guys is kinda right. There's a pretty big cultural and linguistic difference. Altough I don't think it reaches the point of not being able to understand southerners and vice versa.

I think the north is pretty diverse in itself. There are so many different dialects and subtleties in accents (Chaves, Porto, Fafe, Viseu, Beira, Mirandela, etc.) that really seems odd that people in the capital think Portugal is basically Lisbon and Algarve. The North is also less concentrated in population density, leading to bigger differences in culture and traditions. Pretty fun to road trip around the small/medium towns during the summer, picking up chicks, making out behind local churches, trying their fathers' domestic wine and generally getting fucking wasted around chill old people.

>Maybe bring a cheap-o American wine bottle for a joke? "The shit I have to put up with back home" sort of joke.
This is a great sugestion. It shows appreciation and a sense of humor.

You know they are Americans when they feed the pidgeons. Cant help to find it funny.

When arriving at their house you put your pants down, start jacking off and scream very loud "ERAMOS NAVEGADORES E MERDA!!!!!!!!!"

Foda-se falta mesmo um plano de ordenamento para o Norte, o Daniel Bessa tinha razão.

Deviam-se concentrar as pessoas nas cidades/vilas e preservar os povoados com valor histórico arquitetónico, e nivelar o resto e proibir a construção. A minha senpaiília tem uma quinta na Beira Doura, e passo por tantos povoados-rua com casas a cair já do séc.XX sem qualquer tipo de valor histórica a ir para lá que fico enjoado só de ver aquilo.

That's almost literally how Brazil came to be in the first place.

jej

ss just me or did you post a picture of yourself, on Sup Forums

*is

Why not bring a real American wine as a gift, not some cheap grape water. I'd appreciate a real Porto wine than some lame self depreciation joke.

Was pretending to me, I just took a nap. Also, the friend I'm visiting is not my fiance or gf, haha, so her parents are not and never will be my inlaws.

I have a Lisboeta friend who can't understand Alentejanos sometimes, and his grandparents are from there.

It was my local friends' idea, I was just going with the flow.

I purposely posted one where it would be hard to identify me. But one time someone somehow got a hold of a photo of myself and a friend from Caldas and posted it on Sup Forums as something like "only one of these people is white by Sup Forums standards. Guess which one."

Maybe bring a good bottle of American Bourbon. Alcohol is always a good gift for a dinner party.

Also remember to say "Olivença é Portuguesa para sempre!" in order to let the hosts know you're enjoying the meal.

Not sure if getting booze is a good choice, her mom is from a Jehovah's Witness family but AFAIK is no longer practicing. I have no idea how much anyone in her family drinks.

Daily reminder.

>le everyone south of Porto is a moor may-may

One of my caldense friends is paler than me (German, Irish, and French ancestry), and her dad and sister are stereotypically Irish looking (green eyed, gingers, freckled, pale, etc.).

I have another friend from there, also paler than me, who looks stereotypically Ashkenazi Jewish.

Don't forget about complimenting something portuguese.
Their people have a huge inferiority complex and always enjoy when they get a compliment.

Seriously. Portuguese people are some of the easiest Europeans to charm, and I don't even mean that in a bad way. When I was there, I just had to speak basic European PT and reference something they wouldn't expect a foreigner to know about (Xutos e Pontapes, PT food, jokes they make about neighboring cities, etc), and everyone got excited as fuck.

Just say ANGOLA É NOSSA the moment you step in their house like tadaima in japanese

It's exactly what i am talking about. There are a lot of brazilians that dislike Portugal so when one shows to be interested they start treating you like a god.
When i was there an old lady introduced me to her daughter so we could make out hehehe.

>When i was there an old lady introduced me to her daughter so we could make out hehehe
Where the hell in Portugal was this?

I only met two Portuguese old ladies, a friend of mine introduced me to his avó, and then there was this really awkward conversation I had with this woman on the flight home from Lisbon.

This woman sits down next to me, she looks like she's at least 90. She fumbles with the seatbelt and motions for me to help, so I do.

She gets it taken care of and says "obrigada" so naturally I say "de nada."

Then she looked at me surprised and said "Tu és português então!?"

I had to explain that I wasn't but briefly chatted with her before takeoff. Later, when the flight attendants went around taking orders, she pointed to me and said "O americano quer café." They had to spend five minutes figuring out what she had said. Needless to say, it was awkward as hell.

>
I had to explain that I wasn't but briefly chatted with her before takeoff. Later, when the flight attendants went around taking orders, she pointed to me and said "O americano quer café." They had to spend five minutes figuring out what she had said. Needless to say, it was awkward as hell.

Couldn't understand shit.

Also, are you the one always on here?

I'm I just posted on there tonight for the first time, and I'm never really on /luso/ either. I posted on here a lot back in the summer and autumn of 2016, though. I'm kinda the resident Portuboo on this board.

There's an american that speaks portuguese and does translations that you can find there sometimes.

I still didn't get it, why didn't they figured out what she wanted?

The women was something like 50. She wasn't that old.
I was with a bunch of european friends in lisbon and there was a kid playing soccer in the street. The little boy started to play with me and then the old lady invited me to drink some water in her house. Her dad was brazilian so it helped.

They were American flight attendants, it was on United.

Did you make out with her daughter, then? Portuguese girls are qt as hell but generally really really cold and prickly, in my experience.

This. Californian wine or Kentucky bourbon

Get booze anyway. They should be over that cult by now anyway.

Portugal sounds like a cute country

They are running from the invasion.

The bad thing is, with all the white people coming into Portugal they'll revitalize the country's economy, attract more white people, make Portugal prosperous, and that'll attract Muslim migrants. Then the white people will move somewhere else, and the whole cycle will begin again.

Pls go to the gym.

Not sure what you mean, that was the lowest I'd weighed in months (68 kg, I'm 170 cm). Unless you mean I need to start lifting, which I do, but I'm training for a marathon so it's hard to balance everything.

>with all the white people coming into Portugal
Are the Portuguese themselves not white? I'd say they are.

You still look a bit overweight... Not trying to be mean but you could lose a few lbs

How did you interpret the opposite?

I normally won't post pictures of people on here without their permission, but oh well. I don't look as fat here.

I did gain about 5 pounds since then, I'm trying to get down to 145 but I've been stuck at 155.

When he said "white people moving into Portugal," it kinda implied that you guys aren't white. The whole "white" thing is a meme, but if you're gonna categorize people, I don't see how the Portuguese aren't white.

Pic related, it's me with a friend from what's supposed to be "moorish territory" according to Nortenhos.

Someone who probably has me on facebook posted it on here before as "guess which one is white."

some retarded brazilians think all portugueses are moors

I've met some southern Brazilians and they definitely looked white, but most looked kinda mediterranean, but pretty much all of them either had German or Portuguese surnames.

One time I looked up which countries my surname (of German origins) is common in and Brazil was something like #3, after the US and Germany.

She looks portuguese as fuck and you don't. Simple.

When someone posted that on here as the "guess who's white" thread, people thought she was Finnish or English and I was Jewish or Argentinian. I'm honestly confused.

There is nothing to be confused about, people just don't know what the paler portuguese can look like, but she still has portuguese as fuck features and you don't with your tiny nose, broad forehead, slightly finnic eyes (apparently?), etc.

Incidentally my praxe (kinda hard to explain what it is) nickname is Gronk precisely because I have those unusual features, in addition to 30kg on you.

>tiny nose
I've been told I have a jew nose. It's narrow but sticks out pretty far.

>slightly finnic eyes
I was squinting, I'd say I have generic white eyes, but they're grayish-blue which is less common in southern Europe.

Her sister definitely doesn't look Portuguese as fuck, but it's surreal since there's a strong family resemblance. Think basically the same facial features and hair texture, but a ginger, freckled, and green eyed.

I would say I put my appearance squared around France, South/Central Germany, Switzerland, Austria, or Northern Italy.

When I was in Portugal, I was mistaken for French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, and one person thought I was Ukrainian. Literally nobody thought I was American but I've been told I don't look American nor speak Portuguese with an American accent.

I know all about praxe, but what does "gronk" even mean? Where did you go to Uni? I've heard praxe is pretty hit or miss outside Coimbra.

Since your profile is hidden I obviously couldn't see that but from the front it's unusual. And when I mentioned the eyes I was referring to the shape. You may not think any one of your features in particular stands out but when they all come together we can usually tell you are not portuguese. I never said you look American though, in fact I have no idea what an American should look like.

And it's Gronk as in that Patriots tight end, since you won't see many portuguese weighing in at over 100kg and 1,88m apart from our rugby team even though I'm not blond and my skin is pink and not orange. I was fortunate enough to come to Porto which is still in my district, and it's definitely not hit or miss here.

I wouldn't say I look Portuguese at all either, but I did pass for Portuguese even in the touristy parts of Lisbon. It's not that weird, I guess, since you all are a diverse people. A friend of mine knows this girl who looks like a Nordic Aryan right off of a Nazi propaganda poster.

How do people even know about American football over there? I don't follow it much myself but I'm a Packers fan.

Funny you say that, my friend in the pic studies physics at FCUP. She signed up for praxe but chickened out at the last minute.

In the larger cities you might pass but in the smaller towns people will at least suspect it even if they won't say it. And looking like a Nordic Aryan isn't as uncommon as that platinum blonde, grey eyed slightly slav look, which is virtually non existent here.

And idk, it's just that we're curious and all, some of us like Rugby though and therefore will also be interested in Gridiron Football. When I tried out for Rugby the coach said that if we had Gridiron rules here I would instantly make the national team so people are obviously aware of your sports, and our inline skates follow the NHL too. People were talking about that insane Pats win the day after it happened.
Are you from the Midwest?

>Funny you say that, my friend in the pic studies physics at FCUP
which is why
>She signed up for praxe but chickened out at the last minute.
FCUP is definitely known as having the worst praxe in the UP though.

Those people are descendants of Northerners.

This is not a meme directed at the South, but at people from the South.

There's a very high chance of meeting down south.

T A V A R E S

What is that dish and what's in it? I want to eat it

kek. Is he a meme around there? Had to google him since I myself don't follow the NHL

He's a meme in /hoc/ in Sup Forums

I just wished you didn't mix football with that picture. The fact our PM constantly did that mixing of football and politics was one of the many, many factors that made me not vote for him.

>Are you from the Midwest?
Yep, Chicago suburbs. I'm a Packers fan since my dad is from Green Bay. I guess my background is pretty stereotypical midwestern, I'm of mostly German heritage, I was raised Lutheran (though my mom's family is Catholic), etc.

I'm trying to get out of here, though, and trying to get into Europe or the Pacific Northwest, or perhaps California. A lot of it comes down to where I get into a doctorate program, though.

>which is why
Wait, you know her?

One of my Caldense friends, who's pale as fuck (basically stereotypically Ashkenazi looking), found genealogical records going back to the 1820s and they were all in Caldas da Rainha or Óbidos.

I met his grandmother, though, and she's dark as fuck. Throwback recessive traits are real.

She is ugly and you are ugly, please don't bring your ugliness to my country

Interesting, especially since religion actually matters in the US. Next time I see you around (this isn't the first time i've noticed you) I want to ask some questions if it's ok but for now it's 3:20 AM so I'm going to bed.

Cheers

Stop being rude or false flagging. He's not even planning to move, just visiting. Plus if you keep irking him in such an obvious way he'll know you're trolling and possibly lying.

Fucking manlet

They both look pretty average to me. She also looks like she has her hair like that for convenience.

I'm shorter than average but I have shit posture, I have several cm on her.

Post more pics of the girl to see if she is pretty or not