/film/ general

ITT: We discuss real films

NO CAPESHIT OR BRAVO NOLAN ALLOWED

This movie and Taxi Driver were way too overhyped for me to enjoy either of them. Wolf of Wall Street was just "meh", I'm starting to think Last Temptation is Martin's only good film.

Haven't seen his gangster flicks, I don't like mob movies usually.

Goodfellas is one of the all time greats. It perfectly captures a subculture that was essentially the cancer of New York and delivered one of De Niro's best performances

Based Snyder, maker of kinos tb.h

get em on board

>This movie and Taxi Driver were way too overhyped for me to enjoy either of them
Blame yourself, not the films
>Wolf of Wall Street was just "meh"
It was excellent, actually
>I'm starting to think Last Temptation is Martin's only good film
How to even respond such immense imbecility? Simple, I suppose: Kill yourself

His last good film was Watchmen

>overhyped
You can stop posting anytime.

No

>contrarianism the post

I watched Sanjuro two days ago. The duel at the end was great

I've only seen three films with Toshiro Mifune (I'm a big pleb but trying to improve) but he's one of the best actors I've seen based on those performances

Yeah

no faggot kill yourself stop posting now piece of shit

I'm with you user. Too am a massive pleb and have yet to see more than 1 of his films. Where did you find the download

Maybe you could elaborate with and explain to me how any film he made after watchmen is at least mildly adequate

Does Sup Forums trust critics?

no

>Blame yourself, not the films
I can see the quality of the movies and understand why others like them, but it's not my cup of tea.
>It was excellent, actually
Not really
>How to even respond such immense imbecility?
What the fuck? Last Temptation is great.

This is a thing though

Funny, Sup Forums's opinions two years ago were pretty similar. You wouldn't know that though, would you?

Back on topic though, what makes pic related such a good movie on the first playthrough but pretentious shit on the second?

Depends, desu. There are some archetypes that they always praise/pan. I find they're trustworthy with more indie stuff and older stuff, but anything horror, comedy, or Cape, I'll just judge for myself

What are the other two films you've seen? You should check out Red Beard, and High and Low.

Just Samurai, and yeah, I'll defi check those out after I finish my Scorsese marathon.

>no quips
2/10
had some quips
4.23/10 at best

zero fucking quips
0/10

no fucking quips
2/10

i agree with them. there was little to no quips.

horrible. zero quips. boring af
1.5/10

stop disliking things i like, dancer in the dark made me cry and i never cry watching movies
"i just wanted to hold a little baby ;_;"

Is there any reason to watch the Apocalypse Now Redux?

I usually just stream but when I want to dl I go to thepiratebay
Yojimbo and Rashomon

Red Beard is on my list but I didn't know about High and Low, thank you for the rec user

Is the Musashi trilogy good? I mean I guess it is but you never know

>This is a thing though
It's not a real critique of the work though. It's rather your perceived bias of how others interpreted the work. There's not a bit of analytical insight into what makes the movie worthwhile or not, instead it's a reaction to outside forces that have nothing to do with the quality of the movie itself. When you use terms like "overrated" or "underrated", you're actively ignoring what there is to be appreciated from a work of art, positive or negative. They're empty phrases, signifying nothing.

Fair enough. I don't like Scorsese's insistence on putting shitheads as the main characters, which is what Raging Bull had going on. I don't remember much from that one but I'll talk about what I do remember. The movie forces me to watch someone I don't like succeed in life and the only consequence are his relationships, which don't have much impact because, again, I don't like the protag.

Taxi Driver is a much better movie, but there's nothing technically impressive to me. I like that it delves deep into Travis' psyche, but it's not as if it hasn't been done better in the years since the movie was made. There was jarring differences between the enacted fantasies of Travis and the more grounded dialogue. The editing was terrible, especially evident in the last shootout scene. I know that's the point, it's supposed to reflect the anxious tone but that doesn't make it good. Overall Taxi Driver is a good movie and I'll probably watch it again in a few years, but it's really nothing special to me.

>starts ""real"" ""film"" thread
>Raging Bull in the op
Just another stillbirth shit thread

>Hating on Scorsese
>Calling others stillbirths
Bit on the hypocritical side there, don't Cha think?

Watch more film, kiddo.

not an argument

Tarkovsky is the cut off for film. Anything above him is not film, meaning Tarkovsky is the pleb of film. Scorseeesy is Hollywood, not film.

>muh film iceberg
I don't even like Scorsese but you can fuck off

Raging Bull is a very unpleasant movie to watch, and as a result it is one of the few Scorsese movies I haven't seen more than twice.

Having said that, it's his best. De Niro's performance is legendary, the fight scenes feature some ridiculous technical bravado, and Jake La Motta is one of the most despicable protagonists I can think of.

Not him, but he's right.
Directors like scorsese and spielberg, make good, entertaining hollywood flicks. But they aren't making films.

>Tarkovsky is the cut off for light sensitive chemicals coated onto flexible plastic designed to capture images through the use of a camera
What did he mean by this?