/lang/ - Language Learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Other urls found in this thread:

t.me/joinchat/AAAAAED3UID-nkic-jTm3g
pastebin.com/erQ4tFqP
youtube.com/watch?v=_NaAYFSE-W8
youtube.com/watch?v=76kVjfyq-0w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how do I get better at keeping motivation

By joining the /lang/ Telegram group
t.me/joinchat/AAAAAED3UID-nkic-jTm3g
We'll make sure to help you

Post markers of progress regularly?

I am 35% through with the top 5000 most common German words course

more resources

pastebin.com/erQ4tFqP

Does anyone use Clozemaster here? How long goes it take to "master" a word

bump

Not exactly sure if it's really a /lang/ topic, but have any of you guys tried to change/suppress your accent?
I got the semi french/German one and I'm getting really tired of it.
Would talking to a lot of Oxford-fags help?

vocaroo yourself? I want to hear this French/German accent

You can say
> "The sovereign of this land ill comprehends the urgency of the danger it faces. This eve's empty pomp is ample proof. All gaiety, without a hint of real concern. I'll allow, 'tis well understandable. A people numbed by two generations of peace cannot be expected to know true resolve. 'Tis a lesson taught by fire and sacrifice. Pray, let His Grace learn before the fire takes all. ...But I ought not speak in such bold terms before His Grace.

This man has a half German, half French accent
youtube.com/watch?v=_NaAYFSE-W8

Can't right now, but it's somewhat like that guy with more emphasis on th thones.

Mine changes depending on who else are around. So when I had a Canadian English teacher I started speaking more and more like him, then I got a teacher with British accent so I started adopting that more and more

>Post markers of progress regularly?
>vocaroo yourself?
Not actual questions.

Don't try learning accents with natives if they uptalk, Germany. Better sounding ESL than effeminate.

Duolingo is pretty redditish, doesn't work well and forced many other language websites to close. Like that one where you teach your language, gain points and have someone teach his/hers.

>it's another day of reading about languages instead of actually learning

Do it for all the [insert desired language here] qts, user!

How would a more neutral accent make me effeminate?
I'm not trying to become a pajeet, just less of a super obvious Urop as soon as I open my mouth...

Danke Freund

Nonono, you will only sound effeminate if you adopt certain speech patterns, like uptalking, vocal fry and certain expressions.

Canadians used to be bretty good at it, but lately it's a minefield.
Example of a straight guy who speaks gay as fuck: youtube.com/watch?v=76kVjfyq-0w
He obviously absorbed speech patterns from his mother/female teachers/peers/wife instead of males.

If you pick the right people to learn from, there is no problem going for a neutral accent, I have found voice-chatting with muricans actually helped me to lose some stiffness (although I didn't focus on accent). Guess it comes with practice and attentive listening for patterns. Be observant, most elders who speak with heavy accents even after 124381390 years living in a country do so because they never bothered to listen, they were just focused on the message.

Has anyone tried Duolingo for Japanese?

Thanks man. I appreciate that warning.

>learned german as a child in germany
>moved back to my native country
>haven't spoken the language in 20 years
>can perfectly understand and read it
>can't write or speak it myself properly

What's the best way to balance it out? I am mostly struggling with proper grammar when forming sentences. I think I want to go through the grammar basics again, verb conjugation and similar.
What's an okay resource for that?

Well, I found a book called Basic German (Routledge) and it seems to work, but I don't know how effective it is.

Ich denke ich muss halt nur mehr Deutsch sprechen und es sollte von alleine zurückkommen, ne? Wieso kann ich nicht im meinem schlaf sterben ;_;

>STILL falling for the Duolingo meme

Native - Russian
Can type without vocabularly - English, Polish (not always of course)
Used to learn but dropped - French

But I hope that I will speak French someday

Grammar is fine, your sentences are just really old fashioned.

>old fashioned

Das habe ich auch bemerkt. Ich weiß (I had to look up the spelling of this) nicht ob es daran liegt dass (also when to use "das" or "dass") wir auf Sup Forums sind, aber ich habe so viele Schwierigkeiten den /deutsch/ faden zu verfolgen. Es liest sich so schwer, möglicherweise weil es alles nur memes sind mit denen ich nicht vertraut (had to look this up, was going to use "verwandt") bin. 2cool4me

I'm kind of nervous now, because I obviously can't look things up or take my time when speaking to other people.

dass

Best advice is talk to Germans as much as possible though.
On the Internet Germans tend to jump straight into Du-form while still remaining a bit of letter formality which isn't exactly how people actually speak.
Probably better to stick with current times Romans which emphasise more on talking than describing.

Also yes the Deutschlandfaden is mainly memes and shit posts, unfortunately r/de ist Better in that regard.
As always the best would be to find a language partner and talk, talk, talk.

dass is a conjunction
das is an article

Arabic vs persian lads?

Persian is infinitely easier and i suspect it has it has richer literary tradition.

The Arabic languages are more interesting and open what is a fairly opaque region but you are looking at a several year investment before you can start even basic conversations.

This thread is for talking about language learning, not only for questions and answers.

>Do it for all the [insert desired language here] qts, user!
>tfw no toki pona qts

mi sona e pilin sina, jan pona mi o. mi jo e wile lili li wile taso e meli suwi pi toki pona.