Dream Science Fiction Adaptation

You can choose one science fiction novel to be adopted for the big screen? Budget is that of a summer movie blockbuster, but your adaptation doesn't need to have mass appeal.Choose wisely

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bjisuYcPHyQ
empireonline.com/movies/news/stuart-gordon-heads-borderland/
screenanarchy.com/2016/01/park-chan-wook-adapting-japanese-sci-fi-novel-genocidal-organ.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ubik

Rendezvous with Rama

Breakfast of Champions

No, I take that back.

Sirens of Titan

The stars my destination

The Farseer Trilogy

That's arguably not even sci fi

Red Mars

it would probably be like 3 hours long and not totally work regardless of how well the crew/cast did with it but i don't really care, id love to see it.

good luck with the other 2 books though especially because even best case scenario this one kinda bombs.

Hyperion would be good

Snow crash

Commonwealth Saga

That arguably is.

Kurt Vonnegut is a sci-fi writer.

I mean, there are better examples of Science Fiction out there, but few to none of them could really do anything with a blockbuster budget.

So I say anything from the Space Captain Smith series.

Foundation by Asimov is literally the only acceptable answer

>Foundation
>Movie

We both know that the only way that can happen without making it a charade that would make The Hobbit trilogy brilliant by comparison, is if it's a series.
Hopefully including the rest of the I, Robot/Foundation and Empire series.

honestly most space operas wouldn't work as a movie.

A non shit Altered Carbon movie would be neat

This. Although I still thought Green and Blue were good but probs not great TV

Literally any Ciaphas Cain book.

My brother from another mother.

My other choices would be:
Forever War
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Gaunts Ghosts series
Ringworld

Star Wars: Episode Seven: The Force Awakens: The Novelisation

Ringworld

The Culture series by Iain Banks

lol

This, I wanted to post this.

Sirens of Titan is shit.

It'd be shit if made now. It would have no heart or subtlety, and would be told as some bullshit thriller

The lathe of heaven

Hell to the fuck yes.

The Horus Herasy

The Drowned World. If done right, it'd be be gorgeous.

Neuromancer by William Gibson

and btw Johnny Mnemonic is actually a guilty pleasure of mine, probably because I love Keanu Reeves and of how "Canadian" that film feels

no, it wouldn't

It was a good book, but lets be honest, the movie would be boring as fuck. Its basically Alien minus aliens, and the most exciting thing to happen is some guy using his clothes as parachute

A Fire Upon the Deep

It would be complete shit tho.

This. I wonder if there is some copyright battle because this actually seems well tailored for cinema anyway.

Problem is it has already been ripped off ten thousands time now, it's too late for an Ubik movie; except maybe if you reveal the twist in the first ten minutes, and then you could build up from there.

The Demolished Man?
It'd translate to film better

Depends, who'd do 'the stars my destination' justice? The guy who made jumper which rips off its ideas?

Hyperion Cantos. I don't even give a fuck if they fuck up the story, I just want to see all the places from the saga. Hyperion's sea of grass and time tombs, Town of Keats, labyrinth, templar ships, Tree of Life, River Tethys, jew planet, oceans of Maui-Covenant, Silenuses portal house, Orphan seedships, just too many to list

The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson. Literally the most unsettling work of the imagination I have ever read. If only it weren't so difficult to read because of the writing style he chose.

Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock.

Never heard of it before, sounds interesting. Going to get it.

Just call it The Count of Planet Montecristo and you're done

Either this or Itoh's other book Harmony. I know he wrote a third book but it's yet to be translated.

What about this one?

Morgan Freeman has been trying to get an adaption of the ground for decades.

Be warned - the author writes it in a 17th century style so at first it's a pain to read but if you stick with it you will be rewarded. Genuinely nightmarish and extremely imaginative.

What about as a TV show? Each character's story is a season, with the journey interspersed? Every stanza could rhythm with the last, like poetry.

That's pretty good too. His Carnacki the Ghost Finder stories would make the basis for a good supernatural-Sherlock-Holmes series for the BBC or HBO.

I'd prefer this to be adapted over The Stand.

My nog. Ringworld would be incredible. Although it would be probably get criticized for ripping off Halo or some shit.

>an automated alien space ship enters the solar system, refuels, leaves.

amazing movie idea

You should definitely check this out:
youtube.com/watch?v=bjisuYcPHyQ

Wouldn't work as a movie. It deserves a proper miniseries, like I, Claudius was for example.

I love Gene Wolfe's books to bits and I do hope they'd get more attention. Botns was a revelation.

How about a movie where a Sci Fi writer hang out in Sri Lanka to do some boy-fucking and somehow that never tarnishes his reputation

Thanks. I'll stick with it.

Anything by Neal Asher.

Start with The Technician maybe.

His universe is pretty spectacular.

L'Espionne Galactique by B.R. Bruss

Honor Harrington
>military sci-fi
>basically mix between Battlestar Galactica and Master & Commander
>cool action
>interesting setting
>good characters
>if you keep the main plot points a lot could be rewritten for movie script
>no deep meaning for Hollywood to fuck up
>already has strong womyn and black characters
>franchise potential
>stuck forever in development hell
it nearly seems like Jews hate money.

So? I enjoyed the book, but where's the 'science' part ?

oh this. Just give me Edgar Wright and 80 millions.

The whole point of Sirens of Titan is that it was a shitty sci fi pulp novel written by Kilgore Trout. Why not do something like Breakfast of Champions and then a companion film for Sirens of Titan?

I thought it just had to be a re-imagining of our current world some time in the future to qualify as sci fi

Influx would make a good movie

Also Amped

Would actually work better as a tv series. Every chapter starts somewhere new, presents new scenarios etc.

I'd love a well done TSMD movie/series, though. Outstanding novel.

I've given this question some serious thought and I think my choice would be CITIES IN FLIGHT by James Blish.

The potential for visual effects is astonishing and the characters are very bold, strong and well-drawn which would suit an adaptation

Ridley Scott is already working on an adaptation of the forever war

Use of Weapons, Iain M Banks

>science fiction

Red Star by bogdanov

the motherfucking HYPERION saga

it'd work better as a TV show imo

I have NEVER understood the hate towards Johnny Mnemonic: it's the most genuine adaptation of old-school cyberpunk (=not tainted by Japanese '90s GITS-tier anime).

The butthurt this movie would cause for feminists would be immense.

They will totally fuck that shit up. Clark couldn't even get it published until he added the missile bullshit to the story.

These shits today will add in all kinds of retarded conflict to it.

I want new IPs not rehashed shit from other mediums.

Gust Front

Permutation City

Either of these:

Richard Blade
Dragon Riders of Pern

But, only if they do all the books or either series.

>he wants a Philip K. Dick novel adaptation

this

Which part? I didn't think it was particularly misogynist, but I might be misremembering things.

Mainly the fact that he he fucks lots of girls, rapes Jolenta repeatedly, has sex with his grandma (already knowing that it is his grandma). It's not misogynistic, but all the girls seemingly falling for the protag is something that feminists abhor and the rape would definitely cause a shitstorm.

>Planet of Adventure/Tschaï saga
Jack Vance novels are usually really entertaining.

Fuck off you mediocre stupid piece of fucking shit god fucking dammit

Ah, right. Forgot about all that.

Would love to see this as well, One of the few female leads in sci fi i like

Oh and he also tortures a 12 year old girl in The Urth of the new Sun

the foundation

>but all the girls seemingly falling for the protag is something that feminists abhor

I kind of hate this shit as well, it's why I didn't like Geralt in The Witcher games.

I'm still going to read it though, heard too many good things.

It actually makes sense though in Book of the New Sun when you consider it.

Spoilers below:

Thecla fucks him cause he's the only person she can interact with.
Dorcas fucks him because he saves her, plus she feels drawn to their connection.
Agia pretends to like him to get him killed.
Jolenta didn't actually have sex with him willingly, but he doesn't admit that until much later.

Do you think they will keep the part where the protag comes back to earth after his first mission and everybody, including his MOM, has been forced to become gay for the purpose of population control?

They're gonna spin it in a positive light.

The Mote in God's Eye

Stuart Gordon was actually going to film this a couple years back. Never got funding.

empireonline.com/movies/news/stuart-gordon-heads-borderland/

Fair enough. I still kind hate that instant "I must fuck you" shit though. In The Witcher it was damn awful.

There's already an anime movie for HARMONY. the anime for GENOCIDAL ORGAN will come out next year.

but if you hate anime relax, chanwook park has optioned GENOCIDAL ORGAN for a live action flick.

screenanarchy.com/2016/01/park-chan-wook-adapting-japanese-sci-fi-novel-genocidal-organ.html

>I still kind hate that instant "I must fuck you" shit though

Yea, it's not like that in Urth, but it was kinda annoying in the Witcher games.

This but I have no idea who'd be able to direct it.

His most recent novel the water knife would be easier to adapt and after sicario I can only think of villeneuve to do it.

S'Kitty by Mercedes Lackey

SNOW CRASH