Is there something wrong with calling records vinyl...

Is there something wrong with calling records vinyl? I see people get a lot of shit sometimes when they refer to their records as vinyl. Also what record player do you have? Pic related atLP 120

It just across as pretentious to call records vinyl

just recently started my collection, they arent as common to find where I live
I bought
>The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars - David Bowie
>Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix
>OK Computer - Radiohead
>In Rainbows - Radiohead
>Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
>Turn On the Bright Lights - Interpol
>Definitely Maybe - Oasis

I know I know what you're going to say about Oasis, but I unironically liked that album

Plus, many records that I wanted werent on the store and I want to get p much Bowie's Berlin trilogy but I've only found them on eBay as original 1977s, but bc money ran short I'll have to wait soo, yeah.

I intend to expand my record collection waay larger

Nobody called them vinyl ever back in the day, its only a millenial/hipster thing.

Back then they were called
>Vinyl record
>LP record
>record
when used in the sentence
>now available: the hit new single from ELO
>now in the stores: the latest record from the Beatles

they were never called just "vinyls"

>Nobody called them vinyl ever back in the day
Yeah but things only came on vinyl, there was no need to distinguish. Now that there are 1 thousand different mediums for music referring to the kind that's made out of vinyl as "vinyl" is fitting

it's only wrong when you refer to a singular record as a vinyl
records (plural) and vinyl are perfectly equatable terms

The only time it's stupid is when you try to make "vinyl" plural by adding an "s" at the end.

Okay, so the only time I use the term "vinyl" is when I'm referring to my entire collection as a whole, but I still get shit for it sometimes and i was just confused.

I have 2 turn tables. A Pioneer PL-400 I bought new in 1980 (Still works flawlessly) and a Technics SL-V5 (Vertical with Linear Tracking).

no shit.

people call them vinyl now because since then "record" has also been used to refer to cds, callettes and downloads. vinyl lets you differentiate the format more clearly

*cassetes

just bought
meddle - pink floyd
tmr - captain beefheart
tbk - swans
head hunters - herbie hancock

im pretty sure people only hate it when you call it "vinyls" instead of vinyl

Vinyl, vinyl's, records, grooved musical storage devices,
Does it really matter?
Also, Rega RP1 with/PP and Ortofon 2M Red

I call them soundkino. Same turntable as OP. It's a good one.

I got a technics sl-d202 that i picked up for under 50 bucks. Pretty decent is the at120 if you can splurge for one.

Anyone pick anything nice up today?

Not sure if it's what Sup Forums calls nice, but I like it.

I have a soft spot for Technics

>hey bro do you want to listen to music from my vinyl player

Unironically hoping you guys do this

>hey user do you want do comeover and play some vinyls? I just got this new vintage crosley record player.

Do you know how hard it is to see your first presses being butchered just so your not THAT guy?

who the hell calls those things records?

If I went to any student at college and say 'hey i got some cool records this weekend' none of them are going to ask me if I mean CDs cassettes or wax cylinders

Well then clearly I was born in the wrong generation.

generally "record" still means a record but I guess if you definitely want someone to know you mean "vinyls"(which seems to be the point for most people based on the amount of threads full of anons posting their $40 reissues of same "correct" albums hungry for approval) then you could easkly specify you mean an LP or 7/12" for singles

the album itself is what is referred to as the record

>start getting into vinyl last year
>get hyped for record store day today
>none of my favorite albums were on sale

Picked this up for 30 bucks. The original press goes for 90+, more depending on condition. While i agree that no one needs to pay 40 bucks for Abbey Road, certain LPs are not plausible.

This is still an image board, right?

I can relate. I'm really glad NIN is putting out some reissues, because fuck paying like $300 for an original pressing of The Fragile.