Great film.

You're in for a treat.

awesome. I'm new to these films

my first one was the wind rises. I love it

A Great film

Fight me IRL

Howl's Moving Castle ftw

Lots of forced animation

Just watched it the other day. Do yourself a favor and watch it with Jap dubs and English subtitles. English dub is pretty bad

If its your first time take some shrooms. Not that the movie needs shrooms to enjoy it, but it's a pretty good first experience while on them.

A solid movie, normally I recommend it for children though. Ghibli's best movie is Porco Rosso, followed closely by Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Full list is Porco Rosso > Nausicaa > The Wind Rises > Grave of the Fireflies > power gap > Kiki's Delivery Service = Spirited Away = Laputa = Mononoke Hime > Howl's Moving Castle = Totoro = Whisper of the Heart = The Cat Returns > power gap > Arrietty > Ponyo > everything else

A complete revival of your childhood sense of wonder.

I don't know why you bothered typing all that out. Everyone has their own preferences.

>English dub is pretty bad
Not true. Normally I would agree that subs are better than dubs, but in this case the english dub is actually tolerable.

Why settle for "tolerable" when you can just listen to the original VA?

I liked the English dub a lot, more the original even. Disney's Ghibli dubs are generally very good

I may be prejudiced because I hate the majority of female Japanese VAs to begin with, and since Ghibli films all star girls I can avoid that shit right off the bat. Their squeaky screeching is insufferable

I don't think one is inherently better than the other. It's all people talking over drawings regardless, and none of the subtleties of Japanese translate to me in the first place to be lost in the dub.

The original VA is the result of the original production team casting the actors and directing their performances based on the original script they wrote. It's part of the work like anything else. Japan also has much higher quality VA in general for animation.

>Their squeaky screeching is insufferable
This is a meme. You've never even listened to anime VA.

Ends kind of quickly without really establishing a one of the major plotlines, but it's still a great movie

Because I don't speak the language so it just ends up as background noise. The subtitles also draw attention away from the stunning visuals.

The voice acting in the dub isn't at disney/pixar levels but its also not so bad it distracts either. Since the visuals are the main draw of the movie the dub allows you to experience them without interruption.

In the case of Spirited Away I am willing to put up with lower acting quality for maximum visual experience.

If I understood japanese I may be able to appreciate the VA work, but since I don't it all sounds like the same gibberish.

>You've never even listened to anime VA.
It is a common complaint among first time anime viewers.

I'm not fluent in Japanese either but the purpose of VA is not just to robotically convey information. There are many actors I like just because of how they sound.

>Since the visuals are the main draw of the movie the dub allows you to experience them without interruption.
Subtitles provide minimal distraction if you're accustomed to reading them.

>It is a common complaint among first time anime viewers.
It's a meme. Someone heard (or claimed to hear) "squeaky screeching" voices somewhere and complained about it on the Internet, and people started repeating the complaint. After a while it became a known "fact" that female anime VA is all high-pitched screeching or squealing. There are a lot of these "facts" floating around that people go around repeating even if they have no first hand knowledge on the matter.

Miyazaki is a strange, depressed individual

It's a meme to call real complaints a meme.

>Subtitles provide minimal distraction
But they still distract. Spirited Away should be viewed with maximum attention on the visuals as every scene has something amazing going on. I don't feel this way with all anime as not all of it is as visually heavy as Spirited Away. I also wouldn't feel this way if the dub for Spirited Away really was terrible, but since it is not I would recommend it as the default experience, especially for first time anime viewers.

It was a common complaint for the internet even existed.

It's not a real complaint, it's a meme.

Spirited Away should be viewed with consideration for all the elements of the film including the voice acting.

Doesn't make it any less of a meme.

true

That's a whole lot of assumptions and dismissals based on one thing I said

If I have to say it again, I really don't like the way some Japanese women and even men act. I see it in live action movies too, especially older films with the more kabuki influenced theatrical acting. To me it's unnatural and annoying, and if there's a way to ignore it I will

I'll also add that the vast majority of dubs are as bad or worse than the original overacting VAs, so it's kind of a no win for me.

But like I said I don't know Japanese, so this apparent quality of acting means nothing. "Good" acting in Japan, especially for voice acting, is much too broad for me and the opposite of what I'd call good acting. VAs and anime fans have this "louder = better" mentality that I totally disagree with.

In a real live film, you hear the voice which can be in any language and subtitles that are written by a third party, but you also get the body language and facial expressions that convey universal emotions. Anime doesn't have that, and dubs in my language convey much more than just reading subs and hearing a language that means nothing to me

>But like I said I don't know Japanese, so this apparent quality of acting means nothing.
You may have autism, or maybe you're just inventing whatever excuses you need to stick to the dub comfort zone. I never hear this kind of talk in the context of live action films.

>VAs and anime fans have this "louder = better" mentality that I totally disagree with.
I've never heard of any such mentality.

>what should I expect

Xiin's awesome CG after watching this movie.

>I never hear this kind of talk in the context of live action films.
I specifically made a point about the difference in live action. Don't go name calling if you're the one not even reading

>I've never heard of any such mentality.
I see it all the time, implicitly. Just look at how anime VA is, by and large loud, broad performances are used to make up for the lack of physical emoting and detail in the animation. It's the norm, and argument for sub vs dub I see is that the sub has "more emotion."

Dudes trolling. Stop feeding him.

There isn't a relevant difference between the two. Voice acting conveys emotion and nuance even if you don't understand the language.

>Just look at how anime VA is, by and large loud, broad performances are used to make up for the lack of physical emoting and detail in the animation.
You are greatly exaggerating the matter. Most VA in anime isn't particularly loud, and if it is loud it's because there's some reason for it. Anime has also these things called facial expressions and animation that accompany the VA.

>It's the norm, and argument for sub vs dub I see is that the sub has "more emotion."
That's because the dubs are shit.

>waah anyone who says things I don't like is trolling
You must be 18 or older to post here.

>Anime has also these things called facial expressions and animation that accompany the VA.
Expressions hugely limited to drawing talent, budget, time constraints, etc. They convey emotions fine but not a fraction of what a human face can, or a language you understand.

Japanese person is yelling over a cartoon, I know that character is upset. English language yelling, I can get much more nuance out of it that the limited drawn expression and foreign yelling can't. I don't see why this is so controversial

>most dubs are shit
Absolutely, but in an ideal world dubs would always be better. The problem with dubs is that they are written to fit mouth animations and lead to unnatural speech patterns and dialogue, which is much more awkward to experience that Japanese overacting.

A huge depression after finishing it.

Only women and plebs think that Howl's Moving Castle is good.

Which are you?
Please say a girl.

I actually think Ponyo is an adorable little movie with some pretty amazing animation.

It has a pretty weak story, though.

>Expressions hugely limited to drawing talent, budget, time constraints, etc.
We're not talking about vehicle animation or crowd scenes something, we're talking about facial expressions and character acting. Basic stuff.

>They convey emotions fine but not a fraction of what a human face can, or a language you understand.
If the animation and voice acting don't convey enough emotion to you there is something wrong with you.

>I don't see why this is so controversial
Because you people go on and on and on and fucking on about how you just can't listen to the original voice acting and shouldn't have to listen to it and it's bad and wrong and blah blah blah. You have no respect for voice actors and writers and artistic integrity, you just want to take the easy way so you don't have to deal with anything new and different, or you weirdly insist on watching anime even though you have no respect for it and Japanese culture triggers you.

Go watch English language media if this is all so difficult for you.

>Listen to a language that you don't understand.
>Have to read subtitles that distract you from the rich animation instead.
>This is somehow problematic.
It's not like this is a live action film or something. The actors are all dubbing over the same shit.

Stop being a retarded weeb.

one of the best movies u ever did see

>Listen to a language that you don't understand.
Again, voice acting does not exist to merely communicate information to the viewer.

>Have to read subtitles that distract you from the rich animation instead.
If you're accustomed to reading subtitles then they don't distract you as much as you think they do.

>The actors are all dubbing over the same shit.
The Japanese VA is the original VA performed under the direction of the original production team based on the script written by the original production team. It's part of the work just like everything else. And anime is a Japanese artform that more often than not involves Japanese characters in Japanese settings.

>Stop being a retarded weeb.
You have no idea what that word means you memelord.

Quick poll, how many of you here have read the Nausicaa manga?

>Whisper of the Heart that low
>not even bothering to rank Only Yesterday

maximum pleb

>Ghibli's best movie is Porco Rosso

>best
>not porco rosso
You need to rethink some things friendo

>Again, voice acting does not exist to merely communicate information to the viewer.
What the fuck are you talking about? That's the whole purpose of speech.

>If you're accustomed to reading subtitles then they don't distract you as much as you think they do.
They avert your eyes from the animation. This is undeniable and it does detract from the viewing experience far more than whatever nuances are to be gleamed from some nips whimpering in nipponese.

>The Japanese VA is the original VA performed under the direction of the original production team based on the script written by the original production team. It's part of the work just like everything else. And anime is a Japanese artform that more often than not involves Japanese characters in Japanese settings.
So? It's not like the english scripts is vastly different. It's the same fucking story, and besides, film is a visual medium. You should be looking at what's presented to you and not reading along the bottom of the screen.

A director would take for more offense to that than some minute changes made in translation.

Best animated movie I have ever seen. No shitposting. Totally serious.

Which Ghibli movie has the best soundtrack and why is it Wind Rises?

youtube.com/watch?v=qYNvTX_ioYo

>What the fuck are you talking about? That's the whole purpose of speech.
Voice acting also communicates the emotions, intent and personality of the character, and voice acting can be pleasurable to listen to just because of what the actor sounds like. You would really have to be autistic to not realize that.

>They avert your eyes from the animation.
I'm sorry that you can't read subtitles proficiently but that's not a problem that everyone shares.

>some nips whimpering in nipponese
You clearly don't even like anime. What are you doing here? Why are you arguing about this shit? Just go watch Breaking Bad or whatever. No scary nips and nipponese there.

>It's not like the english scripts is vastly different.
You don't even know whether it is or isn't. Someone watching Kiki's Delivery Service would think her cat starts talking again, but that was invented by the dub. Additional dialogue was also added to the very end of Spirited Away. Sailor Moon's dub made it seem like the gay couple is a man and a woman and the lesbian couple are just cousins. The English VA also cuts out personal pronouns and honorifics which removes nuances from the dialogue.

>besides, film is a visual medium
It's an audiovisual medium.

Whisper & Kiki are best

Dubs?

Not the guy you're responding to but fuck it, white knighting.
>Voice acting also communicates the emotions, intent and personality of the character
And only the Japanese are capable
>I'm sorry that you can't read subtitles proficiently but that's not a problem that everyone shares.
This kind of thing distracts you more than you think. Keeping your eyes equally on two things at once, even if it's on the same field, is nearly impossible. For example, we've had the ability to project a speedometer on a windshield for years, people thought it would be the next big thing. Turns out, adding visual stimuli, even to the bottom of the windshield, was extremely distracting.
>You don't even know whether it is or isn't.
You have no idea if the subs are different either. One way or the other, you're at the whims of the translator.
>The English VA also cuts out personal pronouns and honorifics
Those mean nothing to me anyway. I have no fucking clue what -san -chan -senpai implies.
>which removes nuances from the dialogue.
Yet somehow, English speakers can infer when they are being inappropriately addressed.
C'mon, man. Half your argument is Japanese is better because Japan is better.

Howl's Moving Castle is only admirable for the art and animation. The plot is a mess.

>And only the Japanese are capable
Their VA is better and the actors are more invested in what they're doing.

Western video games often have very good VA so it's not like Western actors just plain aren't good at VA.

>This kind of thing distracts you more than you think
Yes, it's unfortunate that you can't read subs proficiently, but that's your problem.

>You have no idea if the subs are different either.
Because I have been watching things in Japanese for years I have learned some Japanese so I often have a rough idea of what's being said or even near total or total understanding. There's also no real reason for (professional) translators to mess around with the subtitles any more than they have to, nor is it possible for them to insert dialogue in places where characters aren't talking.

And before makes the tired old claim that the only Japanese I know is "onii-chan daisuki," I once translated part of an audio drama and had someone else confirm that it was almost completely correct.

>Those mean nothing to me anyway.
They would if you knew basic Japanese, but you don't since you're watching dubs.

>Yet somehow, English speakers can infer when they are being inappropriately addressed.
English can account for honorifics and personal pronouns only to a very limited degree.

>Half your argument is Japanese is better because Japan is better.
I haven't made that argument even once.

>I haven't made that argument even once.
You haven't stated it directly but it is heavily implied in all of your posts.

How? Where?

man of superior taste

fight me faggor princess mononoke>rest of ghibli

Princess Mononoke>Spirited Away

of the ones i've seen:

spirited away > porco rosso > POWER GAP > wind rises = laputa > totoro = ponyo

Go watch Mononoke you uncultured swine

You're all wrong, it's NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind

I still can't believe Anno was in this movie. I saw it in theaters, Japanese dub, and I almost fucking freaked out when I saw Anno was in the credits.

honestly if i could go back in time and watch a movie for the first time once again it would be this one.

I always hear people say this in regards to certain anime, what does it mean?

How the fuck do you force animation? Is this meme word becoming a buzz word?

OP go watch gits

lol laputa means the bitch in spanish

damm nausicaa is one the few ghibli movies I haven't seen I'll check it out but I doubt it can beat mononoke

One of the best movies ever made.

>No one mentioning this masterpiece

THIS