Anyone else think this is a dud? I've tried listening to it multiple times...

anyone else think this is a dud? I've tried listening to it multiple times, I appreciate their older stuff like tri repetae and amber, love their newer stuff (elseq was aoty last year for me), but this is just not sitting well with me.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/180475732
youtube.com/watch?v=hnpAymeHiiI
youtube.com/watch?v=HSbN6adCn0w
youtube.com/watch?v=h2QqCtKJh0E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

thank fuck i'm not the only one.

It's their best album

cheched, this

nice

quads confirm

checked but no it's not, coming from tri repetae it was a step backwards imo. even envane ep was better

how is it a step backward?

This is actually one of my favorites. It's fuckin great to me. I think it's the perfect blend of their 90's era music. Very emotional while having highly technical aspects as well

only the last track is truly great desu

Strong and sincere disagreement. for me, LP5 is the dud, the step backwards.

I have a hard time picking a favorite proper album (because every album and EP has some absolute dynamite, and at least some filter), but gun-to-my-head, for /best overall album/, it's this one.

t. dwelled in two concerts, got two t-shirts, bought over 20 CDs with money

The only negative thing about Chiastic is that it inspired a barrage of shitty second-wave "IDM" knock-offs.

Love how slowly evolving and repetitive it is. In that regard it actually sorta reminds of elseq.
LP5 is an odd one for me cause I like many of the individual tracks but as a whole it just doesn't do it for me fully. Parts of it just sound too Plaid-ish for my liking - overly focused on melody and chord progressions while the sounds themselves are a bit flat.

777 is ace and doesn't get enough love though.

post-tri repeatae autechre is shite

I really prefer EP7 to LP5 personally myself.

Love the rhythmic textures and vocal sampling on that one.

This guy probably drinks tap water

Check this video of 777 my dude: vimeo.com/180475732

>Cipater
>Tewe
>Hub
>Pule
>not great

>not mentioning recury

that's pridy good

absolutely

That's Oversteps

No, no, a thousand times no. Oversteps is neither crunchy nor obdurately melodic in fits and starts, but instead noodling unproductively in a grass field somewhere. It's among the weaker full-lengths, along with LP5. Which is not to say that it's not GOOD, just that it most certainly is not their best album (Autechre are like pizza. When it's good, it's reaaaaalllly good. But even when it's sorta-bad.... it's stiiiillll kinda, good!) Oversteps falls into this latter category.

The high, obnoxious pitches in Known(1) are among the most obnoxious things they've done, a sort of piss-take really. Where Gantz Graf actually GOES ALL THE WAY into full-bore AUTISM AUTISM AUTISM and actually commits to something (structured loud noise), this annoying fuck has its indecisive squee-pitch the whole time.

When I drove to Chicago for the show, I forced myself to re-listen to lesser-heard titles, I think this was one of them.

Amber and Incunabula, the "classical, naive, early work" are both literally better than Oversteps.

The closer does tend to grow on one, though, and See on See for having a more definite melodic thing going, in contrast to the other bits. Autechre have a signature trope: the long, unfolding closer, which drifts almost imperceptibly toward silence, a la the machine dying this time around, again. This thing that they do over and over again on their closing tracks, which I almost never hear others talk about, was probably perfected on Flutter, where they just very slowly turn the mix down and let it run for several minutes.

For me the whole Quaristice cycle, the (expanded) stuff of which I've discovered in recent months, is far more interesting than Oversteps.

Oversteps has the big bonus of being "black-circle on white-field-core", though.

Compositionally Oversteps is not only their most contrapuntally complex work, but also one of the most contrapuntally complex albums in modern dance music.

I want to take the opportunity of discussing what for me is "peak-era Autechre" to mention some things surrounding Chiastic Slide. And just jerk off about my favorites. An user in this threads has recently, and on multiple occasions, pointed out that Goz Quarter is among Autechre's very best, so this emboldens me to repeat same. Other-fan-user, this is for you.

The companion EP, Envane, has a few different versions of tracks which I haven't tracked down, just putting it out there.

The absolutely perfect opener, Goz Quarter, is Autechre at their very, very A++ best. Here, we get both the definitely melodic AND the crunchy, something which was more recently approximated in Exai's early Jatevee-C. This song also contains DNA from Autechre's hip hop cred, using a sample from Dr. Octagon. It unfolds...

youtube.com/watch?v=hnpAymeHiiI

A very jazz piece. They are playing jazz.

Which is MORE Relevant because Polish jazz combo "Pink Freud" have arranged and played jazz version of certain of Autechre's more "arrange-able" tracks. I want the cover album (their Goz Quarter follows):

youtube.com/watch?v=HSbN6adCn0w

If you're an Autechre fan, you need to look into Pink Freud's versions as variations on the theme.

The Envane record cover is indisputably an abstraction of Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater, which will be borne out shortly.

Had Goz Quarter been included on Chiastic Slide, then I would have far less reservation in claiming Chiastic as a favorite album. Goz Quarter is on the same level as Pen Expers in overall importance.

We are dancing about architecture autistically; the treacle is autriche, or autechre. You won't trick me. Do you have a new strategy against architecture?

more Pink Freud,

youtube.com/watch?v=h2QqCtKJh0E

fucking this

I actually think quaristice is one of their weakest releases, the material on quaristice was better explored on the numerous EPs that released around that time, and also the live soundboards that included extended versions (such as live at montreal '05). so I suppose I would say that I'm very glad it exists, as the EPs and the live soundboards are godly. but quaristice itself was too spastic. it's the same issue I had with exai, honestly. although oddly enough, like OP, elseq was also my aoty last year. except for elseq 2, fuck that disc.

oversteps is underrated imo. it seems like an odd one out, but I love it because of that reason. nowhere in their discography have they explored reverb as heavily as they have on oversteps. it was refreshing after quaristice, because it was way more focused than quaristice. and while untilted was great, oversteps was a great change of pace for that one as well given that untilted was so metallic.

idk, I think oversteps is underrated and really good.

>except for elseq 2, fuck that disc.
this, what the fuck were they thinking?
i don't mind elyc6 0nset (in fact i love the first half) but the other two tracks are flat-out abysmal - esp chimer 1-5-1. i don't hold it against them too much cus the other four discs contain some of the best material of their career, but fuck man.

There's a lot of civil disagreement ITT, because we all love the group in general.

Whereas I especially like Chiastic, like Quaristice and have less favor for LP5 and Oversteps, other anons and tripfaggots are ready to take opposing views. A really consistent thing in Autechre threads (this goes to my "pizza" theory) is that people have preferences, can pick-and-choose, yet no one ever seems to HATE HATE HATE any one particular release. We all generally have at least some significant like of just about everything they've ever done, and are only ever kvetching about gradations, personal preferences. This is an extremely comfortable, hedonistic problem to have.

This, it's a mix of the best parts of both their old and new styles

I am the long winded user-fag and I'm gratified at these not-me affirmations of Chiastic. Guess what I'm scrambling now, it's been a while.