ITT: Albums that changed your life

ITT: Albums that changed your life

Before this album I listened to nothing but Rap, Grunge, and Jimi Hendrix. This started me on my journey.

Noted user, will give it a listen!

Before this I had no idea music could be good

This album completely changed my taste, desu. And it was by looking to similar artists and artists similar to those and so on that I would eventually find a bunch of new genres that I wouldn't even thought I'd like before this.

Picture sucks, I know

Unironically this

This is one of my favorite beach boys records. How did it change your life though?

Before I gave this a listen I had absolutely no idea what music was capable of. I listened to this for three weeks straight after I came across one of the singles by chance, and it blew my damn mind every time.

It made me truly happy again. This among other things in my life, of cource, but it definitely plays a huge role in my process.

That album has a special place in how i saw music. Probably my first real album I listened to.

>
This album opened up a whole new world on how I could percieve my own personal taste and develop it further, and it's still one of my favourites today

i know this will look like a shitpost but i'm actually serious
it changed the way i perceived music

This but with pic related
We're gonna make it

Unironically Bonito Generation.

Sarah helped sing me off the ledge

>inb4 CRUSHED

Got me into technical and progressive metal, which then got me into progressive rock, which the got me into psychedelic rock, which the got me into the Beatles, which then got me listening to most of the sixties, which then got me listening to most of the 70s, which then got me listening to most of the 80s, and so on and so forth. Went back in time after that, heard a bunch of different genres and albums, and listen to what stood out to me the most now

do you like the song diamond head? i think its the best on the album. its one of the better post-smile songs

being happy is the bluepill

My companion during severe depression and two suicide attempts. Wouldn't be here without it (and my dog)

happy to hear youre still alive

Thank you user! I'm doing great

I don't know if your life was more sad before or after

I bet you'll guys think this is shit, but it's probably one of the most raw, genuine things I've heard.

The optimisim and cheerfullness that this album shines with simply brought my life to a whole new level

Just remember: YOU are his favourite vegetable user

Definitely this. I was playing in a death metal band the summer before I started college and one of the guitar players in a band we did a show with was talking about how much his band was digging TMV's "The Bedlam in Goliath" (which had just come out a few months before). A couple months later I was picking up textbooks and walked into the music section of the book store and saw some Volta stuff so I grabbed a copy of "Frances" with no expectations whatsoever beyond some other guy's recommendation. The first time I listened to it it absolutely destroyed me and all my notions about composition, lyricism, etc. (it was a pretty radical departure considering the scene in my small town was just about trying to write heavier, more technical shit than the next guy). Totally changed my approach to music and got me into jazz, '70s prog, avant garde, Zappa, Latin music... To this day it's still my favorite album of all time.

Was going through a rough patch in my life when I discovered this album. Cheered me up a lot listening to stuff like "Opportunity For Two" or "Come Along".

When I was little my parents got me an mp3 player for Christmas. They loaded my uncle's copy of Coldplay Live in 2003 to it. I didn't understand why people liked music before this album. I never really liked pop music and didn't like rock at all. This album was the first time I listened to "alternative" style music. After a couple years of listening to Coldplay and others like Ben Folds, I got into the indie rock genre. Now my taste in music is so broad I have a favorite artist/band from almost any genre. I owe a lot to this album.

I found that run of post-Smiley Smile albums from the Beach Boys to have that effect. Underrated run of albums desu

Completely shifted my perceptions of sampling - the smallest bits and pieces arranged just so, could result in one hell of a tune

good taste

I doubt I would still be alive if it wasn't for this album.

First album where i stopped listening to complete normie music and discovered there is more intelligent stuff out there

this, just because it was the first time i ever listened to a full album
without it i'd probably have gone on listening to one or two songs from each band i like and probably wouldn't really care about music as much as i do now

every fucking time i forget my image

Introduced me to Sup Forums

My older brother and sister introduced me to a lot of music that shaped my current tastes, but this was really the big one that stood out. There really is nothing else that spans so many genres. The recording production and surf guitar really got to me.

Taught me that "normie" music can be god-tier too

hi re.ddit!

Just fuck off

Hang yourself

Glad to hear your still here user. I've been where you were at and it's a tough ride to make but I'm glad you came out the other side in one piece and doing better.

This was the first album that wasn't normie-core or stupid 'alternative" music I ever got into. It really pushed me into a lot of different genres and made me go search for music I wanted to hear. It scratched that itch for something intelligent and stupid, funny and real, raw and loud. Now I'm all over the place, but this is right where my tastes begin. I'll never stop listening to this album. "N Dakota" helped me out a lot and sitting zoned out on depression meds while listening to "Stoned and Starving" and "Tears O Plenty" still gets me in the Honey Nut Feelios to this day. I'll never stop shitposting this album on Sup Forums ever.

Tom's whiny vocals KEPT you from killing yourself? Wew my dude...

Hell yes.

Listened to a few songs and so far pretty good and also just listening to it makes my fingers hurt from the guitar

I said 'hell yes' but I forgot to ask if you've heard that live stuff they recorded in a bike shop show. It's on YouTube. That transition (you know what I'm talking about) is just KILLER.

Before listening to this, I never knew the pure evil that could be compressed into a digital music file.

neo-Sup Forums in a nutshell

yeah, this is mine too
probably my favorite album ever
it's cynical and optimistic at the same time and the musicianship is superb
got me into multiple new genres and time periods that I'd never explored before

i started listening to music thanks to this

I started out hating it, I seriously thought it was hot burning garbage, but then a couple songs got stuck in my head and so I put it on in the background and listening to the whole thing.. then about half-way through a switch was flipped in my head and I suddenly loved it.

I'm not saying it's an objectively great album, but before this I only had a very shallow appreciation of music. This album was the first to make me realize that actually using my brain and actually challenging my initial perceptions might pay off way more than just listening to some simple easy to listen to pop song or something that's effortless to identify with.

made me realize music can be more than 4 chord repeated melody rubbish

no u

thanks Marty

This broke my brain in middle school.

Unironically Ok Computer

an airbag saved my life

Ah, I can see you did not listen to MM...FOOD first

the best MCR album imo user

>the most bland Modest Mouse album

jesus whats with the kendrick hate

Yeah its a normie album, but the feelings and the voice of jeff make me feel the music in others ways

Because most of Sup Forums can't look past differences in political opinions to enjoy an album. It's very childish. I disagree with Kendrick on a fair amount of TPAB's social commentary (although he was spot on with Blacker the Berry), but it's still one of my all time favorite albums.

A successful, articulate black man is the mentally handicapped, racist white boy's arch nemesis

>Guy posts an album
>Another guy is happily taking it as a rec
I thought neo-Sup Forums was a bad thing, are you unhappy that people are being civil? If so stop being a fag

I still have never been as terrified as the first time I heard Frankie Teardrop.

I am eternally grateful I randomly listened to this and got into xiu xiu

Call me a faggot, i dont care.

faggot

The one and only album I would ever consider to have actually changed the way I feel about life, love, hate, and death.

Especially Olson, Open the Light and One Very Important Thought

beautiful album

100% same

This along with Kid A is what really got me into electronic music.

faggot

Why is your flames man leaving the wrong way

good shit was about to post this

faggot

Not memeing, I started to live with less stress in my life, maybe I comprehend differentely the lyrics. But it changed my life, and things are doing great.
Everyone is going to do it.
love you Sup Forums

this was where my journey truly began

My first Library Music album. I forget what it was tho and it is now gone with all the rest. Thx Steve

>Leaning the wrong way
Can't tell if bait or not, but that's the cover art for the original U.S. pressing of Wish You Were Here. The one you're thinking of is the U.K. cover art.

oh i didn't know that
i've only ever seen UK pressings

Am I the only one that thinks Get Got and The Fever are in their Top 5?

it feels like a warm blanket

Fuck Weezer and fuck Pinkerton. Still changed me.

A big one, I think it made me a better person

The 4 big Pink Floyd albums were the first albums I'd ever loved.
Definitely changed my outlook on hip hop t b h
Made me enjoy hip hop
"Beware" is an essential life changing song in opening me up to DG

Here's the rest of the cover shoot if you're interested.

Yep. And trolling too.

Made me appreciate jazz much more.