What keeps an atheist from murdering and stealing all they want? The fear of reprisal...

What keeps an atheist from murdering and stealing all they want? The fear of reprisal? Is the fear of prison the only thing preventing an utter breakdown of society by those with no moral compass?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AwebTX3rk3E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Morality is a human construct. People don't need a god to make them want to do good and not bad. Have to be a real piece of shit person to behave morally only because fear that some god is gonna get you.

Also fuck you OP.

Does making these threads make you happy user?

>fear of prison
that's why everyone who goes to prison once never goes back. b8 harder faggot

You're hilariously misinformed if you think this is true.

Define good and bad without citing religion.

>never goes back
KEK

retards who can't read.

You're a fucking idiot if the only reason you're not out murdering and robbing is because you're afraid of a god you have no actual evidence to support

>trying to convey post-mortem sarcasm over the internet
m8...

see

Ethics. Only religious people need everpresent threat of punishment to behave.

Where do ethics come from?

reason and logic

What reason and logic is applied to determine whether or not murdering someone is not ethical?

nerve gas

We're a social species, who have basically tamed ourselves from more feral past versions of ourselves.
We moved some sorts of behavior over to only be okay when done to enemies.
Using the Bible as an example, It's not "Thou shalt not kill" it's more of a "Thou shalt not kill anyone of your tribe, killing is for enemies".
Same with rape and theft and other stuff like that.
It's an in group/out group dynamic that has been formalized into religious doctrine.

That only sounds like Islam.

what keeps OP from going and fucking himself in a corner?

youtube.com/watch?v=AwebTX3rk3E

the five seconds it takes for this post to be put up

>atheists
>morals

Choose one

The crusades are disagreeing with you.
The cause of the crusades might've been political, but the actions of crusaders and soldiers stem from in group and out group dynamics.

>Assertions.
Prove them or remain biased.

>theist
>non-pedophile
choose one

No, a group of people who break the law, do not automatically change the law.

What you're saying, is that because a group of people broke the law, the law must obiously be changed to suit their actions in order for the law to remain valid.

That makes no sense.

>Religion
>Intelligence

Choose one.

Is this a bot?

Nihilist here
Morals are a spook

Atheists are skeptical for the existence of God, but they are credulous and gullible when you replace the word ‘God’ with another mysterious thing called ‘morals'.

Keep grasping at straws

NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER

>this fucking meme
>in 2017

Jesus Sup Forums, you've become such a shithole.

sure you are. I'm a goddamn astronaut

>ITT: Triggered fedoras
>inb4 damage control and other excuses
lol

Sounds about right. Religious nut who thinks he's morally better than anyone so non religious folk must be murserers and rapists. The moral bankruptcy in this reli fag is enormous.

When did I ever say that?
I was saying that the horrible actions you hear of in wartimes is remnants of in group and out group dynamics at play.
The further you go back, the more horrible the actions were and they were seen as okay in wartime with another group.
We've since then widened the group that isn't allowed to be treated bad, since we figured out that letting this happen to some people, puts us at risk of experiencing the same from them.
Religion has surprisingly gotten more mellow as people figured out that they wanted calm lives with less wars that they have no stake in.

Eat shit

Prove morals exist
I'll wait

prove you're a goddamn nihilist. you can hold morals while also acknowledging that they're bullshit social constructs

You implied it. The fact that you can't figure that out by yourself is a major red flag to me.

Listen, none of what you're saying invalidates religion, nor the fact that christianity's principles are about peace and only peace. If there are some people who claim otherwise, then they have decided to ignore the new testament.

Islam literally talks about the death of non-believers. Christianity does not. It does not write about clauses that allow you to kill someone. If it does, please cite an actual source, not a group of people who broke the law. Because from a Christianity point of view, they were acting outside of the 10 commandments and therefore breaking them.

Fear of the law
Fear of making enemies
No desire to harm others

Does a person really need to be taught morality?

Where does those come from m8?

Winrar

So taking back the holy country, because "Muh holy country" isn't allowing a group of people to murder and steal for Christianity?
I'm not saying this is good by the way, just that it has always happened.
I don't think I have seen a single religion that people haven't used as an excuse for violence.

Lots of religious people join the army to kill people. Checkmate theists.

People have morals without any religion. If I'm not going to be an asshole I wont

No it isn't. They should not have done that according to Christian principles. They did it anyway. They broke the law. End of fucking story. Christians condemn it as well.

What do you not understand about this?

how sagacious,,if there is no god no reward for an honest life, good behavior,,we are worth as much as fenceposts,less than a bucket of city pick up paper and cellphane waste,murder,it matters not,kill kill, no matter,,,,

Where do the morals come from? Serious question. If we say that religion gives us morals, and you say that we don't need religion, then where do the morals come from?

That's a shit argument and you know it.

how did youd find the time between the cheetos munching, the mountain dew chugging and the furious fedora tipping to type all of that edge out on a mobile phone?

Morality comes from our minds if you murder someone you are seen as a evil person in the eyes of others. I'm sure we don't need religion to see crimes like rape and murder is wrong

yeah, just because you can't answer it.

Why did our minds just come up with that?

Oh so this is a no true scotsman situation for you.
People are only proper Christians if they agree with you right?
The written word is inconsequential, if people get away with using it to justify bad behavior, even though said behavior isn't supported in the written word.

Empathy basically. We're smart enough to imagine bad stuff happening to ourselves, so we wouldn't support doing bad stuff to others, just in case that attention would be turned back on us.

>what keeps an atheist from murdering and stealing all they want?

societal boundaries set by the majority of people over thousands of years of human existence.

"moral compass" is a term that religion uses as an indoctrination technique to keep idiots like yourself believing and donating to the church every sunday.

Our brains are built in with an instinct to condemn and to protect. We know instinctively that hurting a child for example is wrong because of how they are defenseless while we please a person by helping others because again we need to look out for each other. I see it as like a tribe mentality. If you protect the tribe you will be seen as good.

Karma OP

People are only proper Christians if they follow Christianity you fucking moron. This is becoming rediculous how many times I need to say this.

No proper Christian is going to defend the Crusades. So what the fuck are you trying to prove? That people who misinterpret the bible (i.e. are not following christian principles) sin against the word of god by breaking at the very least 1 of the 10 commandments (murder) dipict 100% what the bible is about? Are you retarded?

It's a stupid question.

Good is not hurting other people basically, and bad is the opposite.

How people define if a person is good or bad has to do with how they treat others.

ITT : people who keep answering to the master sperglord.
>op your asperger is showing more every year

Sounds pretty subjective.

it is fairly subjective, but there tends to be a universal set of rules that the majority of people follow.

Good and bad is a social construct, so of course it will vary from culture to culture and person to person.

What I'm trying to prove is that bad people will do bad things, no matter what they believe in.
The whole premise of this thread is that atheists apparently have no reasons to avoid bad behavior. Well if you look at it, neither do religious people, they are just acting smug because they have the rules codified in a bronze age philosophy book.
People with no intent of doing bad, will not do bad, no matter what they believe in. It's part of us as a species to find these actions distasteful and the individuals that don't find them distasteful are reviled as monsters.
What I am arguing against, is the notion that people with no religion are bound to be this type of monster.

Exactly. It really just depends on the culture but usually big crimes are usually always considered evil

What keeps the religious from killing and stealing all they want?

>What keeps an atheist from murdering and stealing all they want?

the whiteness of my skin, nigger

fear of eternal hellfire.

which is a terrible reason to be high and mighty about it.

OP is Steve Harvey. Where's your moral barometer?

My dad once asked me a thoughtful question about why atheists don't murder if there are no consequences in the afterlife. But it wasn't like he wasn't already aware of all the psychological problems that go along with murder. Soldiers come back from war with PTSD, people report not being able to get the images of their victims out of their heads for extremely long periods of time. Becoming a "stable sociopath" has its own set of unpleasant psychological ramifications. Obviously there is the threat of police and the legal system,etc. There are plenty of reasons to think not killing people is a good idea. And the afterlife doesn't have anything to do with it.

The fact is, of course, that ordinary atheists are decent ethical people, just as ordinary Christians, Jews and Muslims are decent people. I think that the evidence is overwhelming that state atheism is invariably violent, and there may be evidence that Christians are statistically "nicer" people (giving to charity, etc). But on a personal day-to-day basis, atheists are just as nice as anyone.

The atheist/materialist explanation for this homogenous niceness is that we are evolved to be moral. The Christian explanation is that the Moral Law is written in our hearts by God. And I don't believe that fear of eternal retribution is what keeps most people from doing horrible things. Most of us wouldn't kill even if we were sure we would never be punished.

My issue with atheism and the moral law is a different issue. This is it:

If atheism/mateialism is true, than the moral law is not objectively true. It's subjectively true. It's something we made ourselves, not something pressing in on us from without.

I disagree with the atheist view of the moral law. I believe that murder is objectively immoral, independent of opinion. I believe that it's objectively wrong, even if everyone in the world believed otherwise.

I never got how people think avoiding bad behaviors because of magical repercussions gives them the moral high ground.
I think avoiding bad behavior because you don't want to fuck over other people, makes you more morally superior than the hell avoiders.

exactly.
>>I'm only a good person because I fear eternal punishment

If this is why you're a "good person" you have no moral high ground what-so-ever. You're on the intellectual equivalent of a dog scared of going near his master's food, lest he gets smacked on the nose.

Common sense?

conciousness gives you the ability to realize pain and comprehend that others can experience that same pain. a moral person will rationalize that it is not a good thing to do something to others that is painful to themself. this is known as the golden rule

and there we have it. If it wasn't /thread already it definitely is now.

>What keeps an atheist from murdering and stealing all they want?
same thing that keeps isolated tribes (that dont have a bible) or our ancestors (before religion) from murdering and stealing all they want. a mutual agreement between people in society. the bible is written by man and based on those mutual agreements