Joanna Newsom

How do you feel about her?

I was in love with her music for a while, now I listen to it less but I still have a lot of respect for it, both the songwriting and the composition. Seeing her perform live was amazing because she does all her songs from memory, more or less flawlessly, which is wild given the length of the performance and the complexity.

From her work you'd think she was an autist or at least extremely eccentric but apparently she's pretty well-adjusted in her personal life.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hgglhU7UydY
youtube.com/watch?v=N1lvvhX9oaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-Nb3117f8M4
youtube.com/watch?v=RS3Z_hU4GL4
youtube.com/watch?v=8nI-99TktXc
youtube.com/watch?v=FvEc3wVQvpE
youtube.com/watch?v=UBoQ-pjrrzY
youtube.com/watch?v=CBtVaHkJc4I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Did her chest just stop developing when she was 13 or what?

She had a very unique upbringing, which played a large part on how she does her stuff.

I really like her work, but I think I've found Julia Holter to do what Joanna does, but a bit better.

Basically

chestlets when will they learn?

also redpill me on bean and the sprout

Someone post the ass gif

>also redpill me on bean and the sprout

She got an abortion and has regretted it ever since, probably can't have children anymore, though that may not be directly to the abortion. Now has an extremely fractured relationship with infants and motherhood. Has been known to break down emotionally when exposed to newborns or asked if she's planning on having kids.

besides the two being nothing alike, holter has neither the instrumental nor the lyrical abilities that joanna has and relies far too much on reverb.

Yeah, I just went and listened to some of her stuff. There's minimal similarity other than them being female and weird.

I think Lady Lamb is more Newsom like both in terms of lyrical complexity and musicality.

youtube.com/watch?v=hgglhU7UydY

julia is the better songwriter but joanna is the better lyricist

Wait is this real or a meme?

she has made some of my favorite albums of all time

It's true. You won't find a single source that corroborates all of it at once but you can put together her lyrics + interviews with her and her friends + data from records + paparazzi coverage of her and Andy Samberg and draw that conclusion without reaching far at all. If you want something really ease watch her David Letterman appearance and when he asks about her having children her whole face and posture changes, she gets visibly upset.

What gif?

>David Letterman appearance
link?

It was Larry King, sorry.

youtube.com/watch?v=N1lvvhX9oaQ

Here is link, go to about 0:55 for what I was talking about but ideally watch the whole clip so you can spot the shift on her part when he brings up kids. She doesn't break down on screen or anything but she get's flustered and plays it off, just starts to act weird in general after flowing very well for most of the discussion.

She's one of the best lyricists of all time and by far my favorite artist.

I could've sworn I saw a recent pic of her pregnant. It was on a friend of friends' instagram or something. Gonna look for it.

I hope that's true. A lot of her fans myself included bought the infertility theory but obviously I don't wish it on her.

I don't like the harp.

why D:

It just doesn't sound good to me :c

damn, dude. she has loads of good songs on piano though - in fact i'd say divers is largely not harp-forward.

Got it, it was posted in January. Found it on a fan instagram blog, couldn't get the original source.

She plays it very differently than you've probably heard.

How do you feel about her piano songs? Good Intentions Paving Company, for example.

her vocals sound like the puppets from Mr. Rogers

I've only heard Ys

youtube.com/watch?v=-Nb3117f8M4

Sawdust and Diamonds, Only Skin, and Go Long are some of my top songs of all time. A top 5 lyricist for sure. This is probably my favorite live performance I've seen.

youtube.com/watch?v=RS3Z_hU4GL4

She has had or is having kids with Andy Samberg. Her latest album is pretty about how having a child and a family changes the way you live your life and how time and love affects you.

beep beep underrated divers track coming thru
youtube.com/watch?v=8nI-99TktXc

This is nice

I've never seen track ratings for divers, but this is a top 10 Joanna song.
youtube.com/watch?v=FvEc3wVQvpE

>that violin at 2:26
Chills every time.

flat chest + big ass is the best combo

This vs. A pin-light bent. Who wins?

I wanna smack those lil tiddies bruh

Pin Light.

Yeah that's the best part of that song.

>not liking tiny titties

I agree with this

god i love joanna's big fat PAWG shitter

Seriously those tits look delicious I want to bite them

this thread took a shit turn fast

go back to your grimes thread waifufags

Eh, let them have their fun.

>not wanting to talk about how badly you want to bang Joanna
>which, you do

literally no better than k-pop threads

Sorry, I only listen to fully developed women

>kpop indiscriminately worships any korean girl with a sliced up surgery face, doesn't fucking matter who they are or what they look like so long as they're korean and supposedly part of kpop
>I want to lick Joannas' asshole and smack her tits, without the waifufaggotry

I get the feeling you dunno what the fuck ur talkin about m8

Good taste desu senpai

thank you

Sawdust & Diamonds > Only Skin > Emily > Cosmia > Monkey & Burr

Emily > Cosmia > Sawdust & Diamonds > Only Skin > Monkey & Bear
Every track is 10 a though.

Emily > Only Skin > Cosmia > Sawdust & Diamonds = Monkey & Bear

so is someone gonna post the gif of her ass or what

Only Skin > Emily > Cosmia = Sawdust & Diamonds > Monkey & Bear

good taste in titties

hiyooooo

do you guys actually like this or am i being severely memed

Only Skin > Emily > Monkey & Bear = Sawdust & Diamonds = Cosmia

>do you guys actually like this
yes, we actually like it

It ain't no meme son, it just takes some time to get into her.

Try this:
youtube.com/watch?v=UBoQ-pjrrzY

or this:
youtube.com/watch?v=CBtVaHkJc4I

These are more straight forward / stripped down songs.

we do! we enjoy it a lot. but of course joanna's voice and style isn't for everybody, and I'm sure if you don't like her voice or style her stage presence is probably even more off-putting.

Only Skin = Emily > Monkey & Bear = Sawdust & Diamonds = Cosmia

this is honestly the best I can do, though for what it's worth it's a decent gap. Only Skin and Emily are probably both in my top 5 songs ever.

Monkey & Bear? More like Monkey & BORING

So she's supposedly the Millenial version of Tori Amos or something?

>Go Long will never be about you

thats...probably a good thing? dude shes singing about sounds like he has major issues

What's her best live performance from a vocal standpoint?

DAMN LOOK AT THAT piano technique

I'd wish I liked her voice...

My first reaction hearing the first few lines of Sapokanikan was shock - people can listen to this? I actually laughed.

Now I lose my breath singing along to the mountainside part of Only Skin.

It's all about exposure. After long you won't notice her voice is unusual.

I liked her in Inherent Vice. I haven't listened to her music enough desu.

pretty shitty desu

Just saw that movie and I realized I didn't understand half of what the characters were saying

This is the patrician choice.

Also, small tits w/ big nipples, which judging by OP's pic, she totally rocks.

Those nips look delicious

10/10, would chew

I don't know specifically but definitely something from HOOM onwards since she had to learn how to sing after getting nodules.

>She got an abortion
it was a miscarriage, which is worst because she actually wanted kids.

A woman and her harp.

Strum me away to fantasy land you magniloquent minstrel. My boner increases in girth with each wheat-fingered fleck of your yew-stringed lullaby maker.

And that voice, it's like angels fingering each other in helium heaven while pedophiles masturbate in hell.

Yes this album has it all. Oh, how I pine for a life in Narnia where I can see the computer generated deepthroating lion or make love to bizzaro Galadriel, and this album makes it a reality + mescaline.

Stand naked in a half full bubblebath and pour this album over yourself like oil paint. Rub it into your filthy body, and always remember to scrub behind your ears and underneath your nuts.

this is the best album of 00s and 10s

Baby Bitch strongly implies abortion

Nah, she's good but HOOM makes Julia's songwriting look like child's play

I remember reading an interview somewhere talking about the miscarriage, can't seem to find it

Truer words have never been spoken.

She plays the shit out of it though. I was amazed the first time I heard Ys. It was like a completely different instrument.

Divers kinda sucked. The production was all over the place, her singing was especially grating and it just wasn't as human and personal as HOOM was. It was somehow overambitious compared to HOOM, even though it was only on one disc.

I love her work dearly, but I don't get why Make Hay wasn't on Divers. I get that thematically it's retreading old ground, but I think it's pretty damn great and deserved a spot.

>divers kinda sucked
It's sucked in general or compared to HOOM? Because it did anything but suck.

Not that guy but, while Divers is quite good and I think Sapokanikan is a top 5 Joanna song, it was probably her weakest album.

BRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPP

ys is the GOAT, every song is amazing

>the climax in only skin