Star Trek: Discovery

Does it have any chance at being good?

Sure, why not?

Yes, but I wouldn't count on it.

If Bryan Fuller wasn't the show runner, I'd have no hopes.
But he is so I do

I kinda worry about it trying too hard to be progressive. You can be progressive all you want, but when you try too hard at it, it becomes more about you pushing your agenda than just trying to make a good quality show with incidentally progressive aspects.

should be, if cbs is following the netflix model (sadly there not netflix though) so even though its showing on netflix outside of us, its still likely that cbs has creative veto shit over the writers, hopefully the writers will quit if cbs tries anything dodgy.

also the teaser didnt have any disclaimers, so if anyone (like me) saw it and didnt know beforehand they would of been pissed and confused by it as they didnt put any disclaimers that it was a very early concept of exterior shot

I knew that the model was based on phase II stuff I think, it was a picture in the tech manual of tng.

we'll see

That depends, what exactly is it that you want from a Star Trek series?
How hard would this show need to pander to you directly before you liked it?

Tell me Sup Forums, what exactly would your ideal version of this show be?

TNG 2.0

I am not a fan of the ship design. I know they reused concept art from the canned Star Trek movie from the mid 70s before they tried Phase II and then TMP. It does not fit the show's in between spot in the alpha timeline, design wise. Went from cylinders and a saucer to a piece of wood under a saucer? Most other Starship classes had similar styling to the original enterprise, namely the roundness...even in TNG (which this takes place before), why couldn't they come up with something that would have been flying around with the Excelsior class and Ambassador class ships flying around and NOT look out of place?

Star Trek has, since it's inception always been a progressive media franchise, and TOS was pretty much nothing but allegories for social issues at the time, and featured a multi-racial gender equal cast of characters.

So what could they do now that would make the "progressive" aspects of Star Trek too tryhard, and have "an agenda?"

>It does not fit the show's in between spot in the alpha timeline,
You're basing your ire on misinformation. Fuller confirmed that the show does not take place between TOS and TNG.

Some have speculated that the angular design of the Discovery could be attributed to the Klingons joining the Federation post Nemesis.

I'd say if anything it looks pre-TOS.

There is also Joe Menosky involved in doing it, he wrote plenty of TNG, DS9 and Voyager episodes. When we look at main creative team it is 3/5 old Trek, 1/5 nu-Trek and 1/5 unknown... unknown factor being Roddenberry.

Rub it in face too much. It's true that Trek is progressive, but it was largely so in a way that everything in past has become non-issues.

>Some have speculated that the angular design of the Discovery could be attributed to the Klingons joining the Federation post Nemesis.

Yet, in almost every way ship looks much closer to ENT and TOS ships than TNG era designs. I'm more inclined to believe that series will be set somewhere pretty close to TOS.

The design does look like a Klingon K-7 Cruiser upside down with a saucer section rather than a head, But a part of me wishes they came up with something original and did not reuse something from a failed Trek project.

no wonder they sued Axanar if this is what they are leading with.

Well at least this is the proper way to reuse/remake something since it didn't live up to its full potential

>but it was largely so in a way that everything in past has become non-issues
Which means that Star Trek was on the right side of history.
I very seriously doubt if DSC will pander to Tumblr with ever crew member being a trans demi-sexual otherkin. Tumblr doesn't give a fuck about Star Trek so there's no need to pander.
The design isn't even identical to the McQuarrie drawing.
Plus, I'm sure that they're going to put a little more thought into it than "Let's use this ONE picture as our ship."
They still have to design the bridge and interiors, etc. I'm sure they're going to give it the proper attention it deserves.

Something pretty similar is visible in TNG-episode Reunification in starfleet mothball and in ST III in space dock.

I'd prefer something that is both original, but yet similar to everything we have already seen... NX-class is good example. Looks like federation ship, yet not exactly.

How much more progressive could they go?

>Tumblr doesn't give a fuck about Star Trek so there's no need to pander.

The fujoshits love the new movies. Also it's trendy to be needy or geeky

Look.
I can live with the shitty design.
I mean, the Galactica was ugly too.
But the show taught us to love it.

It's blocky and brutal.
Maybe that suits the setting?

>Which means that Star Trek was on the right side of history.
>I very seriously doubt if DSC will pander to Tumblr with ever crew member being a trans demi-sexual otherkin. Tumblr doesn't give a fuck about Star Trek so there's no need to pander.

I certainly hope that it goes as you describe, but honestly don't trust guys with suits at CBS. They might count on false assumption that everyone under 25 is somesort of [inser something incohrent]-sexual furry pervert that spends their time on certain cancerous places.

Not, much unless it's going to be rubbing progressivity in face in every episode, instead of just here and there. ST is already progressive enough.

I suspect that part of the plan with this Teaser is to guage the fan reaction to the design so that they can make cosmetic adjustments before the full show is released.

If they make the secondary hull more curved, then it'll be better.

Have they revealed the cast? There's never been enough qt bridge bunnies on Star Trek.

I like the ship a lot. The CG looks fine.

looks more like one of those test aircraft used to see how different types of wings and engines work and not really design for anything beyond a short flight around the airfield.

Maybe it's... One of the first warships for the Human/Romulan war?

They haven't even cast anyone yet.
Also, Enterprise had 2 qt's on the bridge.
TOS had a never ending stream of mini skirt wearing Yeoman wanting Kirk's D.

Every crew needs
>Dashing captain
>Special first officer (except Riker)
>Autism awareness character
>Big tits lady
>First engineer who is always too busy
That's about it.

What kind of characters/ship personnel do you want to see in this show, Sup Forums?
Do you think they'll have new uniform designs?
Who will the token alien be?

I'm hoping for more Vulcan qts

Can't really say until we know the period.

>>Dashing captain
I get the feeling this show will likely have a woman captain given that we'v only ever had one previously and she wasn't very good anyway.
>>Special first officer (except Riker)
Are you suggesting that Riker isn't special?
>>Autism awareness character
Hopefully not another Vulcan. Every Vulcan character since Spock has just been a lame attempt at being Spock.
>>Big tits lady
The logic is sound
>>First engineer who is always too busy
quirky accent optional

I guessing it's going to be a gay man for captain.
If they do it right, it'll be fine, but if they do it wrong....

Also,
>rfw you think he's special

>Also it's trendy to be needy and pretend to be geeky

Fixed that for you.

>I suspect that part of the plan with this Teaser is to guage the fan reaction to the design so that they can make cosmetic adjustments before the full show is released.

I suspect that as well. Teaser was something they put together really fast.

>There's never been enough qt bridge bunnies on Star Trek.

Nope. There has been enough qt's. Have qt's, but without fanservice oriented catsuits like T'pol or 7 of 9. Both looked better with regular uniforms.

That should be NX-class or NX-class refit. It was supposed to happen in ENT assuming show would have continued. This based on what it's main designer Doug Drexler had planned.

The name "Discovery" seems to suggest something closer to TOS thematically, about traversing the galaxy to find new worlds and peoples and all that crap.

>Hopefully not another Vulcan. Every Vulcan character since Spock has just been a lame attempt at being Spock.
If it's post TNG, I hope it's a Soong type Android.
Like Data/B4 was successful and created a new race.
Or maybe a Founder, as part of a Fed/Dominion cooperation.

But both of those are highly unlikely,
It'll likely be a Donut Steel character

>NCC-1031
If they're sticking to the ship's registry number shown in the trailer, I'd say the story would be set pre-TOS.

>That should be NX-class or NX-class refit.
But it's aaaalmost like that?

Like if you took the refit and just kinda stetched it a bit.

I could buy it as a ENT/TOS bridge.

>NX-class refit.
Oh god, that thing makes me drool after all that time with the shitty Akira clone.
DAT HULL
DAT DISH
It would've been so good even to see as a wreck in the finale.

Honestly, my hopes was an Andromeda exploration series.
New experimental trans trans warp engine.
First of it's kind.
Maybe last.

Cruising around Andromeda finding truly new life and new civilizations.

Milky Way has kinda been done. We've seen all 4 quadrants.

Except that the designation does not necessarily correlate with the ship's creation.

How many fucking NCC-1701 Enterprises have there been spanning the course of the various series? They all carry the same number despite being built at various points in history.

>Tell me Sup Forums, what exactly would your ideal version of this show be?

>Like if you took the refit and just kinda stetched it a bit.
>I could buy it as a ENT/TOS bridge.
IMO, ENT had the best Bridge layout of any series. it was a bit too cramped because it was supposed to look retro, but the placement of the stations, plus the conference table are the best bridge IMO.

Maybe it's just an experimental ship design?

>Cruising around Andromeda finding truly new life and new civilizations.

Oh wait just more humans with strange foreheads and their pet dogs with horns.

>Cruising around Andromeda finding truly new life and new civilizations.
Voyager was already the "We're in uncharted territory all by ourselves" show.

>plus the conference table are the best bridge IMO.
I really liked that table right behind the bridge.
Not in a separate room, but like right there.
It made it more immediate.

Bryan Fuller's first credit was a story credit on this episodes, which was written by Ronald D Moore. He is the chosen one.

Yeah but it was shit so here we are again

>Oh wait just more humans with strange foreheads and their pet dogs with horns.
I'm hoping that given modern special effects capabilities we'll see some more non-humanoids

And Voyager was boring. This could be a chance to do it right

In my super serious fan fiction, my idea is that Andromeda has some bad guys who stole people from Milk Way as slaves or some shit.

So that way you can save budget with wrinkly foreheads and noses, while still "pretending" to be foreign and interesting.

I just want to explore again.
But not like in ENT where we're just seeing the same old shit in a new light, but legit new with all the wisdom of TNG there.

>Voyager was already the "We're in uncharted territory all by ourselves" show.
What could make this different would be that they WEREN'T all by themselves.

A united coalition of Starfleet, Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Ferengi, Dominion and Breen ships exploring the Andromeda Galaxy together.

Fuller also did Hannibal, which was great.

still think this guy by far is our best hope

Gay man is plausible, but I feel like it's still too much of the same thing seeing as in every main Star Trek series but one, the commanding officer is a man.
Plus, if they made the captain gay, it's not like that would actually affect anything. He'd still just be another Man as captain.

I think a woman is more likely if only for the novelty. She'll probably be asian or indian or something too because black characters aren't diverse enough anymore.

>Like if you took the refit and just kinda stetched it a bit.
>I could buy it as a ENT/TOS bridge.

It is exactly that, even without any stretching.

>Oh god, that thing makes me drool after all that time with the shitty Akira clone.

I have to say that I like NX as it was, but producers wanted to use Akira as it was... TNG-era model and everything. Doug did awesome job in turning it into something else, but refit thing would have ninjaed into almost TOS-era ship. He did that design very intentionally. Pander suits enough, but keep options open.

>Except that the designation does not necessarily correlate with the ship's creation.

It's pretty heavily implied as really big numbers come into use only in TNG-era.

>How many fucking NCC-1701 Enterprises have there been spanning the course of the various series? They all carry the same number despite being built at various points in history.

There are only handful of ships in Trek that retained same penant number for next incarnation. Enterprise, Yamato and one other IIRC.

>IMO, ENT had the best Bridge layout of any series

Agreed. It's practical in a way as stuff predicted by previous Treks had become cheap enough in IRL... like touch screens. It's also similar enough to TOS with colorful iconography in screens.

Another thing I liked in ENT was uniforms with revolutionary features like... pockets.

That'd be amazing.
But with one ship.

So it's "semi-alone".
But with a united Milky Way.

Like, you set it in a Federation that has gotten stagnant.
It's old and it's done. It's no longer about exploring and venturing forth, it's about keeping things just where they are.

So the new ship is a bold idea to go further than before.
See, it's like the TV show. You get it? Old stagnant.

There's so much opportunity for post-TNG goodness
United Romulan/Vulcan crew member.
A Founder crew member.
A Federated Klingon.
Maybe even a neo-Borg, if the writers are bold enough.

No. If it were ship classes and not registry numbers you would be right but the franchise doesn't do that with registry numbers You can count on one hand how many ships Starfleet has given that treatment canonically. Enterprise is the exception, not the rule.

The thing about the ENT bridge that I thought was revolutionary was that all the bridge personnel were FACING THE VIEWSCREEN.
So you didn't have a bunch of people twisted around at their consoles trying to see what was going on.
Aside from that I still like the classic positioning that's reminiscent of TOS.

And who needs pockets when you can carry a Phaser and a communicator on a stlish sash?

>And who needs pockets when you can carry a Phaser and a communicator on a stlish sash?
Whatever you say, I'll always love ENT for it's fucking pockets.

Ask any woman.
You don't appreciate pockets until they're gone

DSC also has the same potential that TNG did to basically rewrite the book on Star Trek.
Like, most of the "lore" and canon established details of the Star Trek universe were introduced in TNG, because it had been 20 years since the last Star Trek series. They had a bit of free reign to do something new with the franchise.
Same now. It's only been about a decade since the last show, but that was a prequel, so the timeline hasn't moved forward in about 20 years.

You could introduce new elements like TNG did. This generation's Holodeck, or androids, or what have you.

I was joking. Pockets are logical. I just love the silly golden belts from TOS that they have to put on every time they beam down.

>DSC
Bryan Fuller's STD

Don't DIS Fuller.

>DSC
Is that what we're calling it?
Not STD?

Also, rumours are saying Star Trek: Herpes is a prequel.

Can it really reinvent the wheel like TNG did?
We really don't give TNG enough credit. It gets a lot, but it created Star Trek as we know it. TOS was great and all but the world we love was really created by TNG.

Asking Star Trek: Syphilis to do that may be too much.

If its just vaguely good and just popular enough to push the extinction of the Star Trek brand forward another 5 years, I'll be happy with Star Trek: Chlamydia

>Also, rumours are saying Star Trek: Herpes is a prequel.
Ignore rumors. Just use your own head.

It's either pre-TOS (hence the low registry number) or post-TNG/DS9/VOY (hence the half-Klingon design).

But the most important part is that WE DON'T KNOW.

Since we have nothing else to go on, I'm weighting rumours.

I think it's TOS/ENT bridge

>Since we have nothing else to go on, I'm weighting rumours.
Last time we tried this, you fuckers were insisting that it was post-Undiscovered Country and pre-TNG, and Bryan Fuller himself had to personally tell you all that you're full of shit.

Just fuck off already and wait for official word.

Seems like a hell of a needle to thread.
I thought the reason people don't like ENT is because it plays it fast and loose with the timeframe and a lot of shit makes no logical sense, like encountering the borg, and the Xindi who are literally never mentioned before or after.

So to try and maintain a precise narrative sandwiched between two other series is asking for trouble.
Plus, if it's in the past then no holodeck, no robots, etc.

Post-TNG = sexy needle ships

Honestly, it doesn't fit any timeline we know.
So I guess you have merit.
Maybe it's... Alternate reality?

>Honestly, it doesn't fit any timeline we know.
Why wouldn't it fit at the "current" point in the timeline?

Like, post Nemsis?
You know, like most normal continuing narratives that progress forward in time instead of jumping back and forth to increasingly obscure pinholes in continuity for no real reason?

>The thing about the ENT bridge that I thought was revolutionary was that all the bridge personnel were FACING THE VIEWSCREEN.

Exactly it looks like everything there has function. Fun fact... there weren't supposed to be viewscreen, just periscope, but screen is something suits were right about. Art team wanted to make ENT more claustrophobic and submarine like.

>And who needs pockets when you can carry a Phaser and a communicator on a stlish sash?

You always have stuff to carry. IMHO they should have had dress/service uniforms in addition to work uniforms, coveralls is what folks in submarines wear, pretty much 24/7 due to practicality and no outsiders looking aspect. Submarines was the design cue in pretty much everything in ENT, like handles around consoles and shieet.

Trek uniforms in my opinion.

ENT = TOS movies > JJ dress uniforms > TOS = JJ > TNG-movies/lateDS9 > DS9/VOY > late TNG > Early TNG > TMP

Kek.

>Exploiting fandom to launch your own streaming service

>betting that there are a number of people that want to watch a niche sci-fi ip

>showing the first episode on tv and yanking it

For those simple facts I hope it fails.

It's airing on Netflix in every country on Earth except for the US and Canada.

If Star Trek is a success on Netflix but a failure on CBS All Access, then it might move to Netflix full-time.

Yes, but it it totally dependent on if they create a firey, easily flustered cat-girl-alien like in the animated series that has a prominent position on the bridge.

>If Star Trek is a success on Netflix but a failure on CBS All Access, then it might move to Netflix full-time.

I would be 'murrican or Canuck... I'd probably wait for until they have published entire show or at least few episodes (repeat) and binge watch.. or wait for DVD/BR release. Trek might justify shitty streaming service I wouldn't use for anything else for month or two max.

If all production companies and studios will set up their own services... prices have to go down per service.

Fellow Canadian here. I agree. I wont sign up for a new service and I wont watch it until I can binge it. Do you know if it will be released all at once like a Netflix series or weekly like the join series like The 100?

At least we will be getting Altered Carbon on Netfix soon. Most of my friends have all ready the books so we plan a viewing party for when it comes out.

Only if it's gritty.

>Made by Bryan "George Takei, It's Problematic That You Think Sulu Shouldn't Be Gay" Fuller
>Produced by Alez Kurtzman
It will fucking suck.

I liked Beyond's innawoods uniforms

Kurtzman? The same one who fucked up Prometheus? That Kurtzman?

Fuck, I'm already dropping this shit

Oops.. meant to write *If I would be...

I'm Europoor so I will get it on Netflix. Seemingly monthly cost for all-access is comparable to video rental. I don't have any idea does CBS do anything other worth watching now, but generally exclusives for one shop, service or gaming system usually suck as rule of thumb.

>Bryan Fuller showrunning

Prepare for an amazing series that'll be gone too soon.

Star Trek had a certain even handedness to it, they also had episodes where space hippies are incredibly obnoxious and end up dying due to their refusal to wear shoes. I would hope a new series would also have that

What? Are you thinking of Damon Lindelof?

Given his reaction to George Takei's stance on Sulu, I'm worried that Bryan Fuller may be too consumed by pushing progressivism rather than good, well written characters, but we'll see

I'm more worried though about the Babylon 5-tier CGI this trailer has

Commander. Tell me about your sexual organs.

Let's cast this new show

Captain: Strong black female, also a lesbian
1st Mate: Genderfluid Post Op Transexual
Science Officer: Devout Muslim
Ship's Doctor: Sassy Latina
Helms Person: Korean Female

Villian: Generic white heterosexual male.

>I mean, the Galactica was ugly too.
GET OUT

With blond hair and blue eyes.

>Ship's Doctor: Sassy Latina
>Helms Person: Korean Female
Not seeing the problems here desu

Did I mention they're both lesbians?

>Villain is an analogue of Donald Trump

This

And this

Fuller is literally the only thing this has going for it and the only reason to sub to this premium CBS bullshit. Star Trek isn't going to be able to sell that on its own though so this won't even get a season 2.

No Aliens.

We need to add some fictional raycism. Like dark blue, turquoise or maybe even green Andorians. All evil Andorians naturally played by known white male actors with light blue makeup and must speak with british, german or southern accent.

Trump will become canon if he's elected; somehow worked into being the cause of the Bell Riots, a galvanizing force behind the revival of Nazi racial ethics which led to Colonel Green and Khan.